PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[MBD]

White - Tears Of Piss CS (Harsh Head Rituals Edition)

This one is an experience haha.  Creepy and demented lo-fi industrial noise (with some similarities to the rawest of No Wave acts).  The liner notes say this was recorded in one day so I can only imagine the thought process behind creating this, claustrophobia and paranoid frustrations abound.  The hilarious yet equally fucked up samples at the end just complete the whole package.  Recommended for people who aren't into fun.
Material Body Dysfunction & Flickering Coward. Cincinnati OH USA.

https://linktr.ee/materialbodydysfunction

burdizzo

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 07, 2020, 08:04:45 AM
Operation Cleansweep "Jerusalem" LP
Tesco
debut LP is so good, it it basically one of the very very few LP's I have multiple copie just in case one wears out. Jerusalem, out of old habit, I have both versions, despite it is unlikely to wear out. OK, but not phenomenal album. Some great tracks, but nowhere near the debut. I guess blood in the face samples is the trick, that make debut so amazing.

Were the samples on "JerUSAlem" not also from Blood In The Face? I know it doesn't add a whole lot, either thematically or musically to the first LP, but I rediscovered it lately, and it still packs a very good punch. Possibly if "Powerhungry" hadn't come first, it might be rated more highly?

brutalist_tapes

Quote from: burdizzo on April 08, 2020, 12:31:50 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 07, 2020, 08:04:45 AM
Operation Cleansweep "Jerusalem" LP
Tesco
debut LP is so good, it it basically one of the very very few LP's I have multiple copie just in case one wears out. Jerusalem, out of old habit, I have both versions, despite it is unlikely to wear out. OK, but not phenomenal album. Some great tracks, but nowhere near the debut. I guess blood in the face samples is the trick, that make debut so amazing.

Were the samples on "JerUSAlem" not also from Blood In The Face? I know it doesn't add a whole lot, either thematically or musically to the first LP, but I rediscovered it lately, and it still packs a very good punch. Possibly if "Powerhungry" hadn't come first, it might be rated more highly?
i also think it is almost as good.. but yes, powerhungry is a little bit better and more iconic. maybe it is due to shorter length and less tracks with vocals/"hits"? anyway, i also regard it quite highly

Eris/Ostia

MERZBOW / CARLOS GIFFONI / JIM O'ROURKE "Electric Dress" CD
50 or so minute live collaboration from 2006. Busy stuff with loads of synth and oscillator laser squiggles. Most likely improvised and more or less aimless. It has definitely its moments and could've been cut n' pasted into a nice 20 minute EP. Good-looking covers.

DJINN "1978" CD
Dark ambient with industrial touches. I first out it on as background sound for reading but every now and then had to put the book down and concentrate on sounds. Not the darkest and most oppressive end of the genre. In the end, not bad/not great and generally not my favourite kind of noise/related.

FreakAnimalFinland

I don't really get people who don't like compilations. I can associate to it, when it's understood as "sampler". Thing that sometimes happens with other genres of music, where selection of album tracks are piled into cheap - almost promotional record type of thing.
But within noise, it is really an artform of itself to compile killer compilation. It might be the actually crucial moment when label boss can display whether they REALLY have taste and ear, to make it work out. The flow of compilation, rejection of shitty or unsuitable submissions, combinations of tracks - where something that as stand-alone track is not phenomenal, but in context of compilation album, falls perfectly between two other tracks. Surely there are useless compilation. Things that I don't think was really curated or thought about. Just nearly whatever went to it. Or being perhaps "too solid", that playing it safe, making noise flow without zero irritation or challenge, it might not be able to make long lasting memorable impact.
It is hard to say what is my favorite way of doing compilations. Theme/concept. Geography. Style. All are decent starting points, but what I admire probably the most, is the compilation style still vital in the 90's: International compilation where seemingly all "sub-genred" are together, yet form it's own spirit.

V/A Unter Schrecklichem Lärm Und Getöse Beginnen Die Folterungen... ‎LP
brutalizing Membrum Debili comp. Ltd 200 vinyl from 1997 has Germany, USA and Japan represented. From primitive manual screeching noise junk, to heavy electronics. Thirdorgan with its filter blurbs and noise bursts is least interesting on this comp. Nobody here really tries too hard, but it is the charm of the comp. That Taint, Ramirez, etc, just offer the blunt and in-your-face harsh noise. That appears grim and vicious, just like the simple LP design.

V/A Parasit LP.
Early Atz-Zen, which displays the great diversity of label bosses tastes and ability to make anything from Japanese classics, to USA experimental sonics, most vile power electronics assaults and so on, flow perfectly on one LP. Stylish design and special packaging. Only couple lazier tracks made it to LP. In context, they work out fine, though! If someone is like "nah, I just listen albums... " I could conclude this IS an album! It's not sampler nor random collection, but really artform of its own!

V/A Dedication LP.
Artware
I am such a devoted admirer of the 2nd part, CD comp., that I am often expressing hertical opinion that this classic first Dedication compilation is not as good.
It may be also that I heard CD first, and that it DOES have so amazing tracks on it.
Yet, when listening this LP, I am not surprised at all if some conclude this is better. As a noise record, it could be. It is just missing some of the oddities that made Dedication 2 so full of surprises.
You got a lot of same artists here, and everybody is good. Basically flawless, but less total surprises like Alan Lee or Dislocation that break the "good noise" with something odd, on the second part.
AOR as last track of Dedication 1, is the same guy who did insane track with CEMENT WOMEN in Dedication 2. Or more precisely, it was taken from old tape. That guy is still around. I wonder if anyone has ever heard these mid-late 80's Japanese tapes by Cement Women? Tape titled V, could be logically his fifth tape. Pretty damn culti label Angakok put it out. Never seen or heard, nor know anyone who has any of them. Of course one option would be just to contact the artists for more details...

V/A ...And The Vultures Miss Nothing. 3xLP
Harbinger
It makes me wonder what is the "spiritually" last of the 90's noise compilations? Vultures... was compiled in 1997-1998, and it has the spirit of the 90's written all over it. Came out in... 2005? By then, somehow misplaced? Like era had already shifted in terms of what was happening and what was "hot".
Not that it would not be good. It actually has phenomenal tracks on it. Not all gold. Some oddities too. Mostly that by 2005 it seems almost like document of the past, not the "present". Not meaning bands would be irreleant, but if you think what was hot in 2005, I doubt it was Onamotopeia, S*core, Thirdorgan, Expose Your Eyes etc.
In other hand, looking this now, when both 1997 and 2005 are almost equally distant, I think it may display more timeless qualities, than all those noise artists who came and disappeared around 2005 without leaving such legacy?
Tracks than stand out are for example PAIN JERK, GOVERNMENT ALPHA, THIRDORGAN, SKIN CRIME, SMELL & QUIM, CON-DOM (that is more like Militia track actually...), etc. There are good tracks from others too.
I do not know whether it is by purpose, or accident, that some tracks play loud as fuck, while others do not. If they are just on volume artists submitted them? Macronympha just slays after everybody before them. And after Government Alpha, rest of the side sounds quiet. Small Cruel Party is so quiet after all noise, it seems mandatory to crank up volume. Which is good thing to do, as whole F side plays far more quiet than rest of the set.
Despite having many high profile artists, good tracks, and 3xLP format, you can grab these for 20-30 euros still today! I guess it is the packaging. Just two sheets of cardboard, oddly mis-matching booklet that still talks about double LP set, non-printed central labels covered with those cheap text stickers you could get your address printed back in the day. Perhaps also edition of 500 is reason enough to keep price never reach collectors value?
While packaging or more neat artwork.. something like that could place this much higher rank among compilations, I do also like the sheer 90's vibe on it, that it's not "professional noise". It's all hand assemble by label boss and if there is intent for "design" or being "collectible", it ain't visible at all. Just method of unleashing dosage of good noise?!

RRR 5 years  5 LP box set
RRR 5 years anniversary. Took most of this day to listen through. Released back in 1989, recorded mostly during 1988. It is amusing box, with very unique feel to it. While front cover photo of box shows the RRRecords store opening day ( I recall ), with normal record buying customers, the box is all about noise.
Or is it? It seems amusing that 1st LP, that is Emil Beaulieau - despite never mentioned in the box itself, he mentions that it is NOISE, while others are music. Sure. There is a difference. Emil LP is fucking brilliant live-noise takes of total analogue damage. While LP's 2,3 and 4 are various Due Process sessions. They are often not as noisy, but one would have to stretch imagination pretty far to call this "music". Brutalist electro-acoustic, sound collages and recycled collaborators submissions blend into long pieces where might appear snippet of music here and there, but mostly it is just challlenging noisY sound.
Final LP is the 80's Merzbow collab written all over it. Not yet total harsh brutality. All what it loses in not being the all-out harsh blast, it wins in magnificent textures, neatly arranged sound collages,... which mostly is the Emil maltreating the 2nd hand radioshack consumer electronics and recording various junk sources.
Box was made 555 copies, vinyl only. I assume still available on 2nd hand market, and especially the two album of the box are so great, and rest is good too, that it is certainly recommended purchase!

TEF / PRURIENT / RAMIREZ "Magnified Healing" CD
tef hospital
I do not know if this is "popular" disc among noise heads. Discogs data shows one for sale, over 100 has, less than 100 wants. 4,75 rating. What that means? Who knows really. I just know that 2001 mass produced CD in folded card cover is unlikely to become cult item. However, first of all T.E.F. Offers possibly best cut up noise ever emerge america. And that is a lot said, since many genre masters have done material there. Brilliance of sounds, never losing "the point" - which is so common in storm of stutterloops and such. Despite many sub-genre characteristics, it absolutely could never been mistaken to be Sickness or Endo or other such artists. Pretty much flawless cut up harshness.
Prurient, gives you long dosage of short tracks edited together into diverse, but non-stop approach. It's the feedback/screams/perhaps some pitch pedal and buried synth tones. Tones not yet making the core of sound. Core is the massive harsh-noise esque feedback mass. Really good material that is better than many of his early full lengths.
And finally, Ramirez with 3 tracks, that do have harsh noise element to them, but the stable, throbbing fierce tone reminds more of like Texas version of 80's UK or Italian power electronics. Missing the loud screams, of course, Far less of free form harshness, and more about restricted and controlled ripping and menacing tone.
Like Tracking Device CD, looks kinda cheap, in thin cardboard sleeve, but opposed to many widely agreed "collectibles", getting either of the CD's could be very very satisfactory listening - even couple decades later - providing level of noise artists do not often reach.

SCOTT ARFORD / RANDY YAU / MICHAEL NINE - 7HZ CD
Quite unusual release. 2002, so nearly two decades ago, and somehow feels as if there are good bands in USA, without doubt, but all these three certainly personal and uniques. Best works of Scott for my taste might be Radiosonde CD on Armed & Loaded label.
Rand Yau tracks here are like ASMR material, haha... two tracks of ultra quiet oral voices and electronics bordering the top & bottom level of speaker output possibilities. Often like moist mouth opening sound teamed up with hum that barely is audible on consumer level speakers. Last of his tracks erupts into more fierce noise,
MK9 was never as insane as Death Squad, but over here couple good electric tracks, with some vocal sounds.
Whole CD displayes the prime example of style of sound that benefits from CD format. So clean, pure and sharp, that any analogue format would be disadvantage. Perhaps only the absolute best dub on high grade tape would be acceptable, but even then, I'd say: just get yourself CD player. This type of releases demands it.

RADIOSONDE "Somnambul" CD
I remembered this being Armed & Loaded releases, since it came out same time, and was sold by same place, but apparently sub-label of it, together with artists himself.
For me this is the best Radiosonde release I have heard. Extremely electric feel of TV static channels, radio signals and assorted other sounds. Never violent, but it always has buzzy electronic sharpness compared to for example some of the guitar drone. Lets say Diesel Guitar for example, that does have feedback, but always kind of perfect harmony. Radiosonde songs are slowly waving and shifting layers of this fuzzy ambience, and most of them don't seemingly progress much, but there happens many things in these layers. I like the randomness of radio signals and tv static used here, as opposed to stability of synth tones.
First time I heard of project was 1998, when organizing first Freak Animal Festival. It was really amusing time. 6 bands in one day event was scheduled months in advance. When Death Squad, Radiosonde and Chapter 23 went on euro tour for months, there was no way reaching them. Just trust that on the agreed date, they will be at Lahti railwaystation and fest will take place.
After not hearing from them for months, I was quite sure there will be nobody at the station when I go there. For my surprise, guys were there with insane amount of luggage. I had no car at the time, so just arrived with bike and "ok, lets start to walk to my place...". Artists stayed in Lahti for about week, until fest took place. There was plenty of free days. All of them prepared special set for this gig. DS made all the new loops of synth sounds on kitchen table and after C23 burned his synth due wrong voltage he ended up performing his set just with newly created loops on SP-303. Radiosonde had just one old school TV taken from venue and from sounds of static channel. He created noisy, minimal, but creative set. Not as multilayered and gentle as this CD, but clearly own identity and vision for making the sound.

Merzbow / Ramirez "The science of..." LP
Praxis Dr Bearmann
Got multiple spins... Didn't remember it to be this good! Only few lazy minutes on end of A-side, but beginning and entire B-side is such a total blast, it goes into very top Merzbow stuff.
I was talking with friend over the phone yesterday for hours and he was not impressed people considering "length" as meaningful element of a release. As if object would be less value if it was just 10 minutes. Or 20. Like 7", 10", short tape. Of course it is up to debate, and in the end merely a gut feeling did you get enough value for your money.... but listening this UNTITILED 4x single sided 7" compilation, is sort of proof that it may work out when OBJECT is just good. This, not sure is it even good. Untitled, 4 transpared white label 7"s, oversized 12" mailer filled with cardboard and zero artwork beyond black square on one corner of mailed. Yet I have no complaints. Sides are flipped and good noise emerges. Ramirez and Stabat Mors of course reasons why I originally bought this, but all sides are good. There may be merely 20 mins of sound, but as experience, it is something else when object defines part of how you feel about it.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ConcreteMascara

The above at length discussion of some great noise comps has me reaching for one of my favorites, Segerhuva's label compilation Sweetness Will Overcome CD.
In the booklet Tommy Carlsson talks about his fondness for old comps and the hope that this one may become a fond memory for new listeners. Mission accomplished. My friend picked this up at Hospital back in '08 if memory serves, back when my collection was small and my contacts few. As such, I've listened to it many many times. It was also one of the only touchstones for the "contemporary" Swedish scene I had for a while and my first exposure to most of the artists on the compilation. While I first heard Treriksroset and Ochu here, it was years before I'd be able to score more of their material. In contrast, the final track by Blod sent me immediately into obsession. There are several Martin Bladh and Erik Jarl related tracks, all of which deliver, and were my primary interest at the time. Time has also smiled immensely on the MNEM and Sharon's Last Party tracks, the first offers tape music that's different than other Swedish tape music, the second is a funky interstellar lounge number. A very nice swing into leftfield that breaks the comp up nicely. While no one track that shows up all the rest, it's the consistency of the compilation that keeps me coming back. And the fond memories.. it's strange to remember a time when my tape and record shelves were not overflowing and I was still deciding between food and records! it's only been a little over a decade!

final thought, grab this compilation and make some memories yourself! you can tell from the cover alone (one of my all time favorites), you're in for sweet treat.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FallOfNature

Abra Had Abra - misc recordings
Ritual music from Italy from the early 90's. To my tastes this formula is good by default, and being a project Devis G was involved in just sets that in stone. Not quite the level of Zero Kama or Ain Soph but worth checking out if that's your flavour.

Blasted Pancreas - Carcinoma
Lymphatic Phlegm copycat from Greece. Not as good as the other clone Septic Autopsy but good enough.

Various ‎– Signs Of Infection
Old Malignant comp featuring many greats, Bacillus, Megaptera, Schloss Tegal, Atrax Morgue etc. Hard to find anything not to like about this except how hard a physical copy is to find.

minimal.impact

Sick Llama / Fossils ‎– Split LP

This record has four tracks, each of which end on a locked groove. I hadn't read into this before playing, and only found out once looking up the Discogs listing suspecting as much. I actually listened to this at 45rpm at first rather than the recommended 33, so that may explain some of my below comments.

Both tracks on the Sick Llama side comprise of a series of begrudging pitch shifts and the occasional squealing outburst on the second track, signalling the end of this particular rhythmic section. The first track has plenty of really interesting sounds underneath the almost consistent squeal, particularly towards the end. It's locked groove section however leaves an uncomfortable taste in the mouth however, being similar to some annoyingly catchy early/mid 00's dance track (once I had caught on some fifteen or so minutes later).

The locked groove part of this second track however is far less irritating than the first, even pleasant and something I would listen to ad nauseum.

This is the first Sick Llama material I have heard in a few years. Most of my other exposure are to the '06 Team Brain Damage tape and Magic Controlling Nothing and Equity from 2009.

The Fossils side makes far more sense at the correct speed. There is plenty of scraping metal and abuse of what I sounds to be stringed instruments instruments. Free improvisation indeed. Far more variation on these tracks, including what might be some record scratching, or improvisation over records? Nothing I'm generally a fan of.

The second track appears to be composed of two or more recordings played back to back, with some tasty crackling in between sections.

Cold Climax - Brute of Opportunity (Angst)

From the recent November batch of tapes on Angst. The packaging fits the theme, requiring the listener to pierce the label on the A side for it to operate in the deck - Defloration. A bit more to my tastes, each track having a consolidated and tangible atmosphere. The second side opens with a harsh, repressed assault and is followed by a whirlwind of high end.

moozz

Fouke - The Devil's Claw (Fusty Cunt)

Richard Ramirez HNW from 2011. The tapes comes in a ziplock bag with "human and animal hair". To me it looks like whatever was found on the floor of a barber shop. The short hairs get everywhere, inside the cassette, in my cassette player... I hope the player survives this hair assault. Side A sounds like it is a loop that is repeated and repeated and repeated... not my favorite kind, I like my HNW to just rumble on, not to jump back and repeat what I just heard. The sound itself has some of that "wind blowing in a microphone" characteristic. Side B totally steals the show here. 30 minutes of superb HNW. It has a low thunderous rumbling element that I absolutely love. On top of that some shredded distortion. Fantastic stuff.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: SILVUM on April 18, 2020, 10:21:04 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 15, 2020, 09:12:01 AM
AOR as last track of Dedication 1, is the same guy who did insane track with CEMENT WOMEN in Dedication 2. Or more precisely, it was taken from old tape. That guy is still around. I wonder if anyone has ever heard these mid-late 80's Japanese tapes by Cement Women? Tape titled V, could be logically his fifth tape. Pretty damn culti label Angakok put it out. Never seen or heard, nor know anyone who has any of them. Of course one option would be just to contact the artists for more details...

Cement Women is Ken Matsutani from Marble Sheep, get it Cement (Marble) Woman (Sheep).

Heavy psych god, first CD on Alchemy for Marble Sheep and also Mikawa has collab'd - see CD on Cold Spring.

He is the guy that runs the godlike psych label Captain Trip, he has done some insane Conrad Schnitzler reissues etc.

I need the Cement Women tape as a top want, so if anyone does have it, I need it. 

I ALMOST ordered it a few times from Artware as a kid, but it was expensive and I was probably prioritizing Merzbow and MSBR, or dumb shit like DDAA.
fucking awesome
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ConcreteMascara

J. Peterson - Sound For Autist cassette - Research Laboratories / Wonderland Media LLC - took a sidestep away from the unhealthy amount of gabber I've been listening to for the past month to finally give this one a proper listen yesterday. I forget which side is which but I'll call a-side the one with all the voice snippets. The way in which the voices were used reminded me a lot of artists like Ricardo Villalobos and Fumiya Tanaka. Essentially the Perlon sound, but not quite as clipped and snipped. while there certainly aren't any house beats, the voices give the track legs and add a level of comfort and reasonableness to the proceedings. and while there have been fragmented and effective monologues/dialogues in the past, this is just something else. Compared to prior tapes Refusal and New Policies this one sounds a lot less autistic. it's playful rather than austere or semi-academic, and I mean that as a compliment. the b-side made less of an immediate impression. even though I listened to the tape twice in a row I'm unsure of a description of the b-side as "more relaxed" is fair or if its just the slackness of my brain. if i'm to believe the artist/discogs this is a failed attempt at an album but I'd say it's easily the most self-assured J. Peterson has sounded.
[death|trigger|impulse]

Eigen Bast

Mo*te - Love the Junk of Society (Skeleton Dust 2020)

Side A "Pant" is a churning amalgam of klaxons, echoing voices, crumbling heaviness from which a looping bass and synth hit emerge as a kind of melodic undercurrent, building in pace until it collapses in on itself, ending with a fading synth stab. B side starts off with "Road or Street", crashing junk loops and feedback. Heavy clangs repeating, building as distant, buried clean synth builds in intensity before screaming into the forefront like a robot stuffed head first into a trash compactor. The second track on the b side "Peyote" builds on high pitched scratching and echoing, subdued compared to how full force the rest is, but a disorienting way to close out. Heavy psych!

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A PROJEKT NEUE ORDNUNG LP
More compilations! The early TESCO comp has pretty much flawless line-up. Despite many strong names, tracks are pretty dark or laid back. Anenzephalia is probably the most vicious here. Even Genocide Organ, despite strong and always spot-on song title, this version of song is far more quiet than some other versions.
This does not mean album would be bad. Of course not. It is brilliant all the way. Pacific 231 is neat sex noise. Traci L0rds tribute? Never gets old! S*core neat muffled industrial. Eugenik Korrektiv Squad seems to be exclusive for this comp. Some soundtrack sampling from classic germany film?

V/A Fur Ilse koch LP
Thematically good, visually good, sonically good release. Even if some of the names were far more "offensive" and... "fresh" back in the day, I guess lure of the special characters being presented between noise doesn't get old anytime soon...

V/A 6x2 LP
Old CMI compilation has some good stuff on it, but also some less better aged sampled beat-songs. Or... perhaps the kind of clumsy use of technology is what make this type of songs still good. If same ideas would be done with current level of technological possibilities, it would be like movie soundtracks or some sort of neo-goth music I guess? Now, all material firmly industrial, although level of noisiness not totally satisfactory,

V/A The Second Coming........... LP
Come Org
One can just wonder how good vinyl master cuts were in 1980? Perhaps result of format being THE format, not novelty item and collectible, but something aimed to sound the best?
Frequencies, lack of all the unwanted fuzz and snap, crackle & pop. Such a subsonic bass, ultra sonic electronic damage of Whitehouse and The Sodality which makes Dominator of Hydra easy in comparison. NWW and COME, neither are at their best here, but B-side is pure gold.

V/A "PERPETUAL STATE OF ORACULAR DREAM" LP
Compiled late 80's to early 90's. Mix of arty and more noisier or provocative. Although, one must note that very often very you grabbed compilation due GEN0C1DE ORGAN track, it tends to be calm and subtle. Even here, artwork and titles seem rough, but track is not nasty and fierce, but something that sits well along Tietchens or Arcane Device!
It is very refreshing to listen compilation where THE HATERS stands out as best of the bunch, since all the new comps with Haters, they have always been just about weakest on comp... Not sure is it the technology or what, but I really hope the good haters sound will emerge again...
Got this one quite long ago, but it hits turntable quite rarely. Test of time will prove it's strength and will be returning to my turntable sooner or later!

V/A "NIHIL" 2xLP
CMI
Nihil, I feel that NOD has the best side here! All bands appear noisier than on some of their other releases, but especially IRM did more interesting things later on!

V/A STEIN 2xLP + 7"
Morning session started with first LP of the double LP + 7" set. Very high quality vinyl, cover and the design overall. Line-up is top notch too, and conceptual approach of compilation really pushed artists nicely to adjust their sound a bit.
Some guys do exactly what you would expect. Some others I need to check on cover who did this great track, just to notice familiar name.
I think this release is still available despite relatively small edition. Format and shipping tends to be pricey, especially due small edition. I'd strongly advice on getting this item.
Every friend I have forced to get the "compilation vinyl", have praised it after giving it a spin. Despite long length and vast variety of artists included, it is truly a *compilation album*, with emphasis on album.
(as clarification, of course talking about the difference of "samplers" or the compilations known from many other styles of music vs. Noise compilation albums, where latter is most of all artistic pursuit of compiler and most often exclusive and created intentionally for this purpose). Not just promotional tool or "introductional tool" nor hit collection, but method of creating proper release no lesser than single artist studio album)

V/A VOICES END ABRUPTLY LP
Did not check online when this was made, but looks... mid 80's? There are couple experimental industrial pieces here, like quite funky opening piece. I had zero recollections of when I have go this and who are the artists. Beyond THE HATERS of course. Especially A-side Haters track is great. followed by multiple Canadian experimental-noise acts, who at the best are very good actually. Never really HARSH noise, but noisy enough!

V/A OHRENSCHMERZ LP
This is 1991, collection of international industrial & noise. Sigillium S, Mental Destruction and such will give you the synth & hi-tech ( at the time) driven material, while Masonna, Merzbow and such will give you harsh clatter and agonizing noise. Genocide Organ with long and solid heavy tone with good vocals.

V/A DRY LUNGS vol 1 LP.
The first of the series. Also possibly my only cut-out noise LP cover!! This compilation is so phenomenal, that I'll probably keep it on turntable for few more spins before filing it back to shelves. It is without doubt the most well balanced, the most impressive line-up, all delivering the goods with their tracks. 1985 is the year when this came out, and is such a phenomenal lesson of possibilities of noise & noisY experimental sound. It is also sort of horrid reality underline. THIS could be done 35 years ago, yet many of the names proved the level even on their "careers" was not gradually improving. Even quite the opposite. If one wants wide overview of mid 80's international scene, this LP is must have!

V/A DRY LUNGS vol 2 LP
Not the best of DRY LUNGS compilations, but good stuff here too. I guess I do have complete Dry Lungs now, just shelves are "slightly" unorganized, so rarely all parts are next to eachother. In these compilations are some REALLY great and memorable tracks, often from bands I know very little of. Vol III of the comps with MAYBE MENTAL track as opening piece is one of the greatest. IV has band called Printed At Bismarck's Death that delivers probably one of my favorite "narrative" / cinematic piece ever. I never heard anything else from them.
For the liquid supplement, local brewery struggling in current virus related restrictions, so went there to make some good purchases.

V/A TEN-JIN LP
Urashima
It is very good compilation documenting fairly recent label roster that quickly gained cult status.
There are few things I like and dislike with Lust Vessel related stuff.
My likes are that it is so good noise. There can barely be complaints in quality of noiseworks. Another is that design is both unique and so well done that it is basically beyond pretty much any design by noise tape labels.
Complaints are curiously just about the same. That it is almost... too good? Too consicous, and too designed. It has so precise vision, that danger of appearing more as product than work of art comes close. Just because it has this quality of knowing what the genre wants, and able to deliver it. Consciously built mystery, over handful of projects, that may or may not be just Lily Vice and possibly friend or two.
I actually meet the people who ran the Dogma Chase label, that had somehow similar feel to it. That the man behind label was sort of behind the curtain mastermind keeping the female in front. Of course she did things as well, but there seemed to be this "PR idea" of hiding more boring facts, when female operated Japanese label certainly gets you discussed in genre like this, hah...
What happened to Lust Vessel, is discussed sometimes among friends. Some conclude that if it really was just one of two guys under various aliases, it is no wonder one can burn out on this type of focused and singular vision, where aesthetic vision dominates all.
So, at the same time: Amazining label and amazing releases, besides tapes, this LP is great item for collection.

MASONNA / VOG split LP.
This is probably the best VOG what I have heard. Humor, perhaps, but it won't make noise lesser. Intense and innovative, most often HARSH noise. Masonna is the early years Masonna, so.... excellent.

ILLUSION OF SAFETY "more violence and geography" LP
1988 experimental-industrial-noise soundscapes. Lots of processed tapes, gloomy and bleak atmosphere. Some spoken word pieces and very nice brooding drones. Old IOS is something I should really look into getting more. I have yet to hear bad releases and I do think there is way more available than I have.

MERZBOW "Project Frequency" LP
AIPR
Among the very best of harsh noise assaults. Couple first minutes Masami kind of looks into gear and twists knobs here and there before kind of finding the parameters where best noise emerges and rest of the album is pure ear-candy for 1995 Merz-noise fans.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

absurdexposition

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 22, 2020, 09:43:55 AM
V/A "NIHIL" 2xLP
CMI
Nihil, I feel that NOD has the best side here! All bands appear noisier than on some of their other releases, but especially IRM did more interesting things later on!

Always loved this comp. Got it in a trade (or purchase) from someone on this board ages ago. Can't seem to find the PM anymore to confirm who it was.

ILLUSION OF SAFETY "more violence and geography" LP
1988 experimental-industrial-noise soundscapes. Lots of processed tapes, gloomy and bleak atmosphere. Some spoken word pieces and very nice brooding drones. Old IOS is something I should really look into getting more. I have yet to hear bad releases and I do think there is way more available than I have.

This was on heavy rotation last week after finding the CD again. Excellent atmosphere.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: absurdexposition on April 22, 2020, 04:42:20 PM
V/A "NIHIL" 2xLP
CMI

Always loved this comp. Got it in a trade (or purchase) from someone on this board ages ago. Can't seem to find the PM anymore to confirm who it was.

I wasn't the trader, but wanted to chime in and say I'm also a big fan of this one. The Institut side is weird and does very little for me, but the rest is quite nice. I like the one artist per side style. IRM definitely did more exciting work later on, but their one track Strictly Platonic is one of my favorites of the pre Virgin Mind era. Nod's side of industrial fairy-tale stories is the kind of thing that almost becomes too cheesy with its narration, but the sounds back it up. The Girl and the Giant is the one I really remember being unlike anything I'd really heard before.
[death|trigger|impulse]