PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

I'm pretty sure I provided the 911 call for the "Hatred of Love" & there's nothing in that final track from me.

I've listened to the brand spankin' new compilation compiled by Worth on his label, Prose Nagge, entitled "The Silent Continuity Of All Existence With Which The Victim Is Now One" featuring Kakerlak (best track overall), Heinz Hopf, Mania, Thot Gor, Body Care, Hymenal Opening, & a whole bunch more all distorting everything to death. Strong tracks all the way through with a few like Kakerlak,H.H., H.O., & Shredded Nerve being the highlights.

Also, Old Europe Cafe's <<S.P.K.>> cd is excellent! I'll have to re-listen to the LP as there are sounds I'm hearing for the first time, maybe. There's no info if this is a remaster or if there was any remixing by B.Lustmord. It doesn't sound different as in a new mix, just some details I feel like I'm noticing. Could just be I haven't listened to any 'corpse shrieking' in a really long time.

Final Solution's "Mass Death" cd (Der Bunker) is highly misogynistic entertainment! No feedback, synths without much effects & definitely no heavy distortion. I wouldn't have cared for it if it had been released around the time it was recorded but now, it's fun as hell.

THE RITA HN

QuoteFinal Solution's "Mass Death" cd (Der Bunker)

I've had this on repeat since it arrived.

absurdexposition

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 10, 2019, 05:21:25 AM
I've listened to the brand spankin' new compilation compiled by Worth on his label, Prose Nagge, entitled "The Silent Continuity Of All Existence With Which The Victim Is Now One" featuring Kakerlak (best track overall), Heinz Hopf, Mania, Thot Gor, Body Care, Hymenal Opening, & a whole bunch more all distorting everything to death. Strong tracks all the way through with a few like Kakerlak,H.H., H.O., & Shredded Nerve being the highlights.

Just listened to this now. Body Carve, Kiran Arora, and Kakerlak(!) were the highlights for me.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

The New Blockaders & Incapacitants "As Anti As Possible" cd (4iB Records)

TNB throws Incapacitants under a moving junk pile & the Japanese destroy the junk pile with harsh electronics. Pretty much what anyone would expect except that the artwork sucks. RR should have gone all out for this release. Other than that, this is pretty much a must-own for fans of these heavy duty noisemakers.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 30, 2019, 01:55:15 AM
Form Hunter ‎– Dripping Curve (Prime Ruin)

Excellent! Gotta get their other releases & sure hope a proper full-length is in the works. Some of the best rough noise I've heard since the Treriksröset LP on Harbinger.

Just got this tape and gave it a listen. Agree 100%, this is an absolute scorcher!

As an added bonus my walkman's batteries died halfway into listening to it and I thought it was getting into really wild tape manipulation stuff until I realized the walkman was sputtering out and backing up the whole reel. but the tape is just as good on a properly functioning tape player :P
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Fistfuck Masonanie

Dave Phillips - Burn (Aaltra records)

Haven't listened to anything by this artist in awhile so pulled out this tape I remember liking. It's a quick c20 and gets right to the point, side A provides dramatic and fast-paced cut-up sounds and it's a lot more aggressive than I remembered. It's very good. Side B is subdued and haunting. A tense atmosphere with minimalist piano and field recordings among many other sounds weaving in and out of the foreground. A solid tape worth revisiting.

Anyone have other recommendations for Mr. Phillips? I haven't kept up in the last few years but it looks like he has remained very active.

Mikerdeath

Quote from: THE RITA HN on August 10, 2019, 09:02:33 AM
QuoteFinal Solution's "Mass Death" cd (Der Bunker)

I've had this on repeat since it arrived.

HAHA , Same. Masterpiece.

Tetragrammacide ‎– Primal Incinerators Of Moral Matrix  LP
One of my favorite albums of recent memory casual listening this morning.
In a league only with nyogthaeblisz, "experimental black metal." I always love this from first song to last.
ready for another album guys??

Bloated Slutbag

See bottom of this post for digest commentary.

torba - musica convenzionale
torba, increasingly, sounds like torba. And this, a manifesto of sorts re-presenting some ten years of scrupulous RAW, is quite possibly the most torba-like of them all. No accident that, but don't take my word for it, here's the good signor himself-

The material contained in this forty-minute track outlines a sort of manifesto designed to (re)organize the results of the sound/aesthetics research carried under the moniker torba in the first ten years of activity of the project.

torba. Intricate weave of hefty-boy gristle-blurt, flat flatulent chunks so craftily un-tidy in their oh-so-in-delicate, precision-guided, dis-arrangement, bearings as saucily suggested as violently expunged, the rug pulled out, the dark chasm gaping, the plunge, certain death, the warm bath, the cold shower, long nail dragging slowly along chalkboard, clicking heels, fishnets, the mind's eye caught and spiraling infinitely upwar- THWAP! Do pay attention, Slutbag.

delicious shiver.

By torba convention, the digital re-presentation is certainly a long-y. Approximately twice the cassette-borne tendency (though a distinct splitting into parts at the approximate half-way point may suggest craftily sandwiched amalgam of two more tapes). And although ten years is the stated range of materials under (re)organization, there is a marked skew toward the more recent crunch-lite inflection. But don't take it from me, here again is the good signor-

credo di essere sospeso in una dimensione virtuale al confine tra certe pratiche di ricerca estetica legate alla sound art, il calderone oscuro del noise/industrial e il versante più radicale della musica elettroacustica accademica o para-accademica. Inutile dirti che nessuno di questi   ambienti riconosce Torba come prole propria e da questa continua negazione traggo la forza di continuare.

My Italian's is a bit rusty, so I had to consult google translate. In rough summary, "As far as I'm concerned, all you harshdorks can choke on my fat salami." Regardless of one's position vis the fat salami, the pure fetid stench of industrial strength DENSE is of consistently eye-watering percolation. The dense is in the details, in the layers. Fat flatulent layers to counterpoint the late departure from fat flatulent crunch. Which may meet the least of expectations given the decade-long (re)pping of hefty-boy tenor. Still, it's not the heft that counts, it's what you do with it. What is here done approaches a virtuosity veritas what might give even the harshdork pause.

Pause.

Kick off with soft soothing drone (for harshdork) broken by semi-frantic banging at the L/R edge, edging to break free of custodial rumble-frieze. In a blink, the dense. Dead center of wide open field, layers layers layers, glittering detail, twittering birds, chattering insects, large slabs of mud unceremoniously slopped onto their collective heads, perspective dragged, by hairy lobe, over grassy knoll, scraping roughly against loosely stowed mic, buffeted by ill-tempered winds. A trap door opens, sudden swells of chaotic cacophonous din, orchestra setting up, pluck of lower octave piano string, disembodied voices gripped with pending excitement, anticipations punctured somewhat by front-and-center sound of some sorry sod literally choking on maestro's fat salami, flashback into constrictive closets of savage, more physical thump n bustle. A certain industrious bulge, a meaty heft to this non-scape, the otherwise busy mass of meander swiftly filling up with faintly feeding-back metallic buzz-tinge.
   By about the seventh minute an almost darkened dialog of buzzing whir, industrious bees scrabbling against cratered hexagonal apertures. Rough cut metal riffage dumped into sewage pipes, the familiar disembodied voices, protesting squeal of rusted hinge. Now at ten minutes and the faintest dregs of orchestral din fight moldy machinations of petulant, gag-inflected, machine murmur, long sigh, raspy exhalation, steadily surging pick-up over rumbling guts of malformed turdhills.
   At no point is one really invited to get one's bearings, but neither does this feel rushed or uneven. However rough- or abrupt- the cut, there's a sense of follow through or flow. The band-cum-orchestra-setting-up-to-disembodied-voices serves as irregular repetitive motif to almost not quite anchor proceedings at unsteady intervals. Into these intervals prances spandex-clad assemblage in off-balance arrhythmic poise, delicate pirouette in counterpoint to gut-punched dis-sensitivity of steadily self-administered heimlich, yes ladies and gentlemen, the party of the century! Beers, steers, wall-to-wall vomit, fat salami choking out its meaty exertions.
   Going in for the kill. Insectile scrabbling. Mechanical insectile scrabbling. Shuffling. Low undertone holding down attentions, conveying the necessary heft, brute sense of ill-formed mass lurching headlong down broken path, granite slabs cracking under the weight, a constant descent, or ascent,  or (re)capitulation, a crease, folding open onto new horizons, all of them somewhat scraggy, grey, foreboding, crated ridges undermined, exhumed, the maggot ridden underbelly exposed, wriggling scuttling bleeding, surge of blackened flows, crumbling, breaking away, upward, higher, higher still, higher end acquiring distinct ear-bleed feedback-rasp, achieving its vomited-back, choking, climactic chunder at the twenty second minute.

From here, the lay of the land, or lands, however fractured, is somewhat familiar, as though we are condemned to re-live the whole sorry spectacle- in reverse. Immediate headfirst immersion into deformed multi-layered storage facility, or dockyard, proportions all fucked, multi-dimensions of de-rhythm'd vivenzational clamor angling in fucked up proportion through one ear out the other. Certainly no calm in this chaos, more pleasant if vaguely unsettled resignation that sense is not made, rather an atmosphere grasped, held tight, embraced. New standards. New conventions. The new noise. The music.

Digest spew:
The manifesto. Rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated. This particular manifesto, of sorts, is (re)organized in such a way as to mute or at least subdue the crunchier harshdork urgings otherwise indulged across the discog, but not to an extent that readily breaks with established torba convention. The first chapter of a trilogy (informally) called Le Musiche is possessed of weight, industrial-strength hefty boys, massed clusters continuously threatening to donkey-punch chunky crunch-holes in the in-delicate, precision-guided, dis-arrangements, never quite making good on the harshpromise, but delivering the requisite dosage of DENSE and RAW.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Major Carew

SARIN SNOW - 'Incurring Wisdom' (Slave Chandelier) TAPE

Picked this up at Kontti a couple of weeks ago. I greatly enjoyed what Sarin Snow did live, it was basically what is on this tape (ominous droning, effected vocals, buried samples and whatnot) but by technical necessity more disjointed, louder & rougher which gave it another edge that was just....weird, but in a good & unnerving way. Vocals were louder live etc. The tape is the same but more sluggish, in a good way, and the other elements that appeared more clearly live are way more buried here. I like how the vocals are disembodied and inhuman compared to a lot of other US projects which are way too nasal and overly shouty for my taste, and the whole release doesn't force itself upon you. Sarin Snow's vocal approach here is quite similar to something Steel Hook Prosthesis would do. Very cold and almost mechanical. The tape is also just the right length, not too long. Fills a lot of space without doing too much.The cover art is also great. Highly recommended.

FreakAnimalFinland

SIAN "Sink / Assign" CD
Manifold
Duo of Akifumi Nakajima & Shohei Iwasaki. One can think the ambient side of both projects, Aube and Monde Bruits, and result is pretty much that. Sounds like free improvisations. One severe "error", when otherwise ethereal and crystal clear sound gets too loud for brief moment and starts clipping. It indicates that they didn't want to edit this too much. Liner notes do say, that it was recorded at Studio MECCA Kyoto Japan 27 January and 2 March 1996, but mixed, re-created and designed January-February 1997. So some post-production is there. Not sure if the clipping is in recording or the hands-on post production. This is pre-computer times. I think Aube never used computers anyways.

Cosmonauts Hail Satan "Cape Cannibal Skull Island Apocalypse" CD
Will Montgomery Records
This project had special place for me long before the album came out. It is possible I have written same info on the forum before.  Cosmonauts Hail Satan ‎– Crazy Subjugated Astronauts tape was published in Finland back in 1993 by Joukkomurha tapes. It quickly reached a lot of people who had not been exposed to this type of music. I was instantly captured by odd discordant guitar-noise riffs and bounding lo-fi drums, covered in sci-fi / exploitation movie samples. It's almost like rugged pop-art version of Ramleh and Skullflower. While those two could be dark or destructive, CHS was just plain weird. Sonically best material is the same 5 songs that appeared on early tapes. 7 songs exclusive to this CD ain't bad either. I don't think they could get as intense and fierce sound, but music itself, top notch!

CON-DOM "All in good faith" CD
Functional
Too bad this CD is not ALWAY available. Listening it remains highly inspiring decades after it was originally released as tape, and decades after it was reissued as CD. It is musically so coarse and ripping nobody really matches that these days. It is not really that brutal to make nasty recording, but sound source being the usual synth oscillations. Con-Dom sounds are always fierce, somehow out-of-balance. Abrupt loops, tasty "dislocations" and such. Vocals with such character that it is unmatched. Not just screaming your lungs out, but knowing how pace, intensity, usage of efx/echo/delay is done, so it will be adding more to the track.

ODAL "1986-1989" box set
First 5 tapes done... 11 more + couple bonus tapes to listen. One could say the same about the rawness and low-tech brutality as was said about Con-Dom. All here, is not pure gold. Not at all. It is sometimes a task to go though. Instead of simple pleasures, it's the era of difficult music. Challenging, disturbing, but also such a thrill to go through so damaged and noisy experimental works.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

Curious thing happened that connected these two releases mentioned together.
Listening to ODAL "Nihilist Dogs" tape, from 1986, opening track "Carkas" appears to be what is the core of Con-Dom's "Road To Total Freedom". That dislocated odd loop that makes the spirit of the track, was always one of absolute favorites. First I thought Odal probably sampled it from Con-Dom track, but then I realize Odal tape is from 1986, and first published version of Road To Total Freedom is... 1988?
Of course, Con-Dom is know to sample other noise artists sounds, and often they are credited in the sleeves. I don't remember seeing Odal mentioned. These tapes are so full of ear-ripping tape noises that I wouldn't be surprised if some more snippets was taken from here... at least there are bunch of moment that I am 100% sure there are used as tape loops on All in Good Faith. Like Odal's track "niks" is what basically make entire Con-Dom "surrender", except vocals and flanger noise.

Of course, it is Con-Dom who makes the compositions, but for the brilliant sounds, one can thank Odal which isn't getting much compliments when people (like myself) admired the sounds of this particular Con-Dom release.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: Major Carew on August 23, 2019, 04:08:05 PM

SARIN SNOW - 'Incurring Wisdom' (Slave Chandelier) TAPE

Picked this up at Kontti a couple of weeks ago. I greatly enjoyed what Sarin Snow did live, it was basically what is on this tape (ominous droning, effected vocals, buried samples and whatnot) but by technical necessity more disjointed, louder & rougher which gave it another edge that was just....weird, but in a good & unnerving way. Vocals were louder live etc. The tape is the same but more sluggish, in a good way, and the other elements that appeared more clearly live are way more buried here. I like how the vocals are disembodied and inhuman compared to a lot of other US projects which are way too nasal and overly shouty for my taste, and the whole release doesn't force itself upon you. Sarin Snow's vocal approach here is quite similar to something Steel Hook Prosthesis would do. Very cold and almost mechanical. The tape is also just the right length, not too long. Fills a lot of space without doing too much.The cover art is also great. Highly recommended.

I've been on the fence about Sarin Snow and Blackwatch for a while, but I've just given both their most recent full lengths a more attentive listen and really enjoyed both. Blackwatch especially seems to really put effort into making a real album- varied tracks, thought put into the overall flow and dynamics, rather than a collection of similar tracks. The 'romantic' approach of the subject matter for both is very appealing too, almost reminds me of Prurient in places.

WCN

V/A - The Silent Continuity Of All Existence With Which The Victim Is Now One CDr
Not gonna pick this apart track by track, but a truly exceptional compilation that succeeds as a whole, made up of so many fascinating small parts. A significant testament to the great state of harsh noise in 2019.
Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

teenagelightning

Trouble Makers -  A Travers Le Temps
First full length album of this 90s québécois skinhead band that a friend showed me a while back. Most songs sung in French with a few in english(that sounds pretty goofy.) the feel and look here is still very much skinhead but sound wise very similar to the French RIF bands like in memoriam, fraction hexagone, vae victis etc. tracks like 1608 have super catchy guitar leads that will stick in your head quick. Production is stripped down and crisp yet rough like most French rac. Highly recommend!

Carnal Exhibition : a trouble shared is a trouble halved
First tape from this newer Copenhagen PE group. Lofi droning sounds with restrained vocals and some effected samples. Subject matter seems to be around incestuous sexual perversions. Very dark and simplistic in terms of composition, but effective. The tape doesn't seem to capture the intensity that was witnessed in their live set a couple of weeks ago but possibly that's intentional. Looking forward to more from this project! Good to hear a solid new power electronics tape out of Denmark again.

Pyha Kuolema - 30.5.2015 Lahti
Live recording from a show in 2015. Sound wise the recording is very good, especially for an acoustic bar performance. I think PK is somewhat distinguished in the neofolk scene as he is an actually very good vocalist. There's no need here to whisper or just speak some words over guitar in a low voice through reverb. Real passion comes through in harmony with the guitar, even if I don't understand finnish. Some songs that were multiple guitar tracks on the studio recordings are even well-done live, with rhythm and lead both coming through from one guitar. Looking forward to new studio recordings from him.

frustrated dissector

Controlled Bleeding "Blistered Bags Of Fodder Swaying" 10xCD - I've just started wading in, now on CD3 - 1986's "Headcrack".  This band never fails to interest me, despite or because of their never-ending shifts in approach to sound.
Mania "Little Pieces of Violence" CD / "Foul Inside" 3" CD - been catching up on Mania's output of late and just acquired these for a good price.  Brutal as always.
Leonard Cohen "Songs of Love & Hate" CD - the definitive folk record for misanthropes.
M.B. "Archeo #1 Boxset" 5xCD - as bleak as music gets. Going to listen to "Archeo #2 Boxset" sometime soon.
Ramleh "The Great Unlearning" 2xLP - more dystopian post-punk/bad-trip psych.  Right up there with "Circular Time" 2xCD.
Amon Düül "Collapsing Singvögel Rückwärts & Co." CD - fucked-up krautrock/pych-folk, edited together in jarring fashion.  Easily their best.
Puce Mary "The Drought " LP - dark, dark ambient.
Rudolf Eb.er "Om Kult: Ritual Practice Of Conscious Dying Vol. I-III" 3xCD - strange, well crafted short bursts of sonic disorientation spread over three CDs.
Stereolab "Oscillons From The Anti-Sun" - a good cross section of their music in this anthology. Yeah, I know - too happy.
Charlemagne Palestine "Strumming Music" LP - a definitive minimalist/serialist record.  Trance inducing.
Swell Maps "A Trip to Marineville" LP+7".  one of my favorite British post-punk records.  Twisted lyrics, solid music, even some noise/sound collage in places.  In the same league as the first three Wire LPs.
Alternative TV "The Image Has Cracked" LP - more British post-punk, earlier on then the Swell Maps LP.  Very original, very pissed off yet very funny.