PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Skin Crime "The House on the Cliff" LP (Self Abuse)- s2 is perfect harsh noise starting with the metal pounding then getting more n' more intense. I really wish I would have spent the money on the cd box but, at the time, I just didn't think I'd ever manage to listen to most of it. I'd kick myself in the head if I could for passing it up. Maybe someday soon I'll come across a used copy I will not make up excuses for not purchasing.

Peterson

Quote from: brutalist_tapes on June 09, 2019, 08:54:44 PM
swastika kommando: 1983 - would love to know more about this guy... seems to be among the italian masters along with maurizio bianchi, although it seems little is known about him
currently listening to cold tape by mb.. one of the best ive heard from him, yet i have still to research the whole catalogue thoroughly

A certain British fellow tells me there's rumors Mr. SK (a.k.a. Pietro Mazzochin) later found religion and joined the clergy. Who knows if it's true?

brutalist_tapes

Quote from: Force Neurotic on June 10, 2019, 10:02:57 PM
Quote from: brutalist_tapes on June 09, 2019, 08:54:44 PM
swastika kommando: 1983 - would love to know more about this guy... seems to be among the italian masters along with maurizio bianchi, although it seems little is known about him
currently listening to cold tape by mb.. one of the best ive heard from him, yet i have still to research the whole catalogue thoroughly

A certain British fellow tells me there's rumors Mr. SK (a.k.a. Pietro Mazzochin) later found religion and joined the clergy. Who knows if it's true?
it is plausible i guess. same kind of thing happened to m.b. after all

ConcreteMascara

Fushitsusha ‎– 来たる時 = The Time Is Nigh CD - 1997 - been spending a lot of time with this album in the past week. it's the only Fushitsusha album I own currently and it's nearly goddamn impenetrable. prior to last week I probably listened to it 5 times in the past 5 years I owned it. but after numerous recent spins I feel like it has really opened up. the melancholy opener really leaves you utterly unprepared for the 2nd track which is easily the harshest of the bunch and just one of the harshest things I've ever heard. the tone and frequencies are just unpleasant and it's nonstop for 20 minutes. yikes. but if you make it to the other side it gets a lot more accessible for the next 50 (!!!) minutes.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

brutalist_tapes

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on June 11, 2019, 09:05:50 PM
Fushitsusha ‎– 来たる時 = The Time Is Nigh CD - 1997 - been spending a lot of time with this album in the past week. it's the only Fushitsusha album I own currently and it's nearly goddamn impenetrable. prior to last week I probably listened to it 5 times in the past 5 years I owned it. but after numerous recent spins I feel like it has really opened up. the melancholy opener really leaves you utterly unprepared for the 2nd track which is easily the harshest of the bunch and just one of the harshest things I've ever heard. the tone and frequencies are just unpleasant and it's nonstop for 20 minutes. yikes. but if you make it to the other side it gets a lot more accessible for the next 50 (!!!) minutes.

this band is kind of hard to get into, but as you point out, when you do it is very rewarding. haven't heard anything from them that i don't like i think, and on top of that they just have this unique vibe that even the other similar japanese bands of this type doesn't have..

Bacteriafield

Wappenbund - kinder des lichtes
Martial industrial in crazy packaging. Two giant steel plates screwed together with bolts. Seems only 44 were made of this. Sounds are ambient and chamberlike. Lots of heavy beats throughout the cs that add a punch and work well with the military sounding drones. Pretty creepy stuff...

Dr. Randall Phillip - shiggy diggy dee
Happy to find this on eBay. Truly psychotic and fun. Dr Randall's spoken word over simple shitty synth sounds are the highlight for me. This is exactly what you expect. Martians, hatred for women, murder and abortion talk throughout the 16 track album. the instrumental tracks are fun too, crazy and chaotic. I give this album a 10 out of 10!! Bad acid trip vibe.  Anyone else got the eugenics council cd? Let's trade some files.

lussuria - 3 brooms
First impression is pretty whatever. Lush sounds but overall didn't do much for me. Lack luster packaging and the design just feels half assed. I will give this another shot eventually as I have really enjoyed his output in the past. the cd repress that came out a couple months ago was spot on for me.

hermann Kopp - cerveau d'enfant
Great 7" with some neoclassical / experimental sounds. Weird French vocals that sound vampiric. 4 tracks on a 7" so you're entertained start to finish. Classic Piano sounds but played with a awesome 80's sounding cheesy preset. Highly recommended.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: brutalist_tapes on June 12, 2019, 05:00:02 PM
this band is kind of hard to get into, but as you point out, when you do it is very rewarding. haven't heard anything from them that i don't like i think, and on top of that they just have this unique vibe that even the other similar japanese bands of this type doesn't have.
Interesting and true comment...because once you're "in", most everything is good and rewarding.  It's that battle with expectations that gets in the way for a lot of people.  If you can clear the slate before entering, I'm betting it will feel like an endless treasure chest of work.  He's an artist in the truest sense, and his skills and ear run wild.  Not a lot of those around.

I probably mentioned this in the Haino thread, but there are two tapers who run in and out of Japan (fykfyk and firusan) who have recorded a substantial number of Haino related shows.  For the past couple of years, firusan has uploaded several shows just after Haino's birthday.  The birthday shows themselves are marathons.  This year Haino played under Fushitshusha, and they played for 3.5 hours.  I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  Talk about potentially interesting guests for the Noisextra podcast.  Two people taping and documenting Japanese experimental history like maybe nobody else.  Honestly, I'm betting like no others, but who knows?  I love reading their show notations.  They know their shit.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Trait - Inspirationals CD
This 2009 reissue of a 1988 Arbeit Group tape remains one of the cheaper, and most available, Industrial Recollections releases for some reason; it could well have become way rarer by now if the noise market focused on sonic content rather than random factors. I picked it up as an afterthought when buying other things. If nothing else, this tape looped based chaos journey underscores one fact: the 80's lacked many of the clear cut genre distinctions we've come to know in the last few decades. You literally don't know what is going on when listening to this, let alone what is going to happen next. Moving from music loops over terrible noise assaults, to subtle cracklings and sudden and unexpected silences, this stuff cannot be predicted in any way what so ever. This is stimulating, and makes it almost impossible to shut it off (at least during the first playthrough). When you add a warm, lo-fi quality, left virtually untouched by whatever mastering was applied to this recording before its publishing on CD, you're left with a very nice piece of industrial indeed. The cover is unassuming, but contains a manifesto written in pseudo-academic swenglish. Its self indulgent tone and consistent use of capital letters leads the mind to Rote Armee Fraktion communiques, a stylistic connection that may quite possibly be intentional, but the contents is some kind of radical individualist thingie. Not at all offensive, but it did annoy the shit out of me. Perhaps this terrible piece of teenage philosophy is the reason the CD is so cheap? All kidding aside, this is great stuff. The first track is the most rampantly insane one, whereas the second one (there are only two) is somewhat more conventional or at least less confusing. Both are fucking awesome.

Drink: S-market light lager pint with a shot of gin.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

FreakAnimalFinland

Couple early IR titles were pressed 500x. That is the reason for price level. Most others are merely 200-300 copies. For some titles it was perfect, others sold out perhaps too soon and remain pricey or hard to find.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

brutalist_tapes

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 12, 2019, 11:28:43 PM
Quote from: brutalist_tapes on June 12, 2019, 05:00:02 PM
this band is kind of hard to get into, but as you point out, when you do it is very rewarding. haven't heard anything from them that i don't like i think, and on top of that they just have this unique vibe that even the other similar japanese bands of this type doesn't have.
Interesting and true comment...because once you're "in", most everything is good and rewarding.  It's that battle with expectations that gets in the way for a lot of people.  If you can clear the slate before entering, I'm betting it will feel like an endless treasure chest of work.  He's an artist in the truest sense, and his skills and ear run wild.  Not a lot of those around.

I probably mentioned this in the Haino thread, but there are two tapers who run in and out of Japan (fykfyk and firusan) who have recorded a substantial number of Haino related shows.  For the past couple of years, firusan has uploaded several shows just after Haino's birthday.  The birthday shows themselves are marathons.  This year Haino played under Fushitshusha, and they played for 3.5 hours.  I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  Talk about potentially interesting guests for the Noisextra podcast.  Two people taping and documenting Japanese experimental history like maybe nobody else.  Honestly, I'm betting like no others, but who knows?  I love reading their show notations.  They know their shit.
agree with everything you said... a truely interesting artist/band that stays true but is always evolving at the same time. would love to hear those! unfortunately i missed him last time he was in copenhagen... hoping for another chance

cr

Lots of Earth and Dylan Carlson in the last two weeks, old and new. I think both Conquistador and Full Upon her Burning Lips are great records! Sometimes I don't need much more, esp. when it's getting hotter outside every day.

totalblack

Quote from: cr on June 13, 2019, 10:08:20 PM
Lots of Earth and Dylan Carlson in the last two weeks, old and new. I think both Conquistador and Full Upon her Burning Lips are great records! Sometimes I don't need much more, esp. when it's getting hotter outside every day.

Earth always summons images of extreme heat and heroin, which I guess is the intention. It's been boiling for the last week or so, and although I haven't paid attention to any new records since around 2007- this Conquistador record sounds perfect and hits all the right spots at the moment. I don't care for the genre for the most part, but I think that Earth stands on its own.

On the topic of Fushitsusha - maybe because of the cover artwork for the majority of the releases, but I think of this 'group' as a black hole. It's my favourite stuff from Haino- but I could never pinpoint what my favourite album or track is. Some of the live performances described sound awesome. I've only gotten to see Keiji Haino do solo guitar sets. My wife has told me some interesting stories about meeting and interacting with him at the resto\venue that he's played at a few times in Montreal, but I can't remember them off-hand.

Has anyone listened to the Fushitsusha - Radio Code tape? Curious as to how this sounds.

After listening to the Noisextra podcast this week - decided to listen to the briefly referenced Hijokaidan collab album with J-pop group あヴぁんだんど / Avandoned. It's really surreal sounding and very interesting. I'm currently watching this live video which is even weirder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkggkH5Aa0M

Zeno Marx

Quote from: brutalist_tapes on June 13, 2019, 02:50:50 PMwould love to hear those!
Quote from: totalblack on June 14, 2019, 01:48:32 AMOn the topic of Fushitsusha...Some of the live performances described sound awesome.
Just to give you folks an idea of what they post, these were shared in May on the Dime A Dozen tracker, and they're still there for the taking:
Sanhedrin, Tokyo, Koenji, High, November 4, 2009
Headrush, Tokyo, Shinjuku Loft, August 29, 2004
Keiji Haino & Masataka Fujikake, Tokyo, Iriya, Knuttel House, November 1, 2007
Keiji Haino, Tokyo, Shibuya, Apia, March 22, 2001
Fushitsusha, Tokyo, Shibuya,WWW, May 3, 2019
Fushitsusha 1981, Tokyo, Akihabara, Goodman, March 2, 2018
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

cr

Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 15, 2019, 01:48:52 AM
Quote from: brutalist_tapes on June 13, 2019, 02:50:50 PMwould love to hear those!
Quote from: totalblack on June 14, 2019, 01:48:32 AMOn the topic of Fushitsusha...Some of the live performances described sound awesome.
Just to give you folks an idea of what they post, these were shared in May on the Dime A Dozen tracker, and they're still there for the taking:
Sanhedrin, Tokyo, Koenji, High, November 4, 2009
Headrush, Tokyo, Shinjuku Loft, August 29, 2004
Keiji Haino & Masataka Fujikake, Tokyo, Iriya, Knuttel House, November 1, 2007
Keiji Haino, Tokyo, Shibuya, Apia, March 22, 2001
Fushitsusha, Tokyo, Shibuya,WWW, May 3, 2019
Fushitsusha 1981, Tokyo, Akihabara, Goodman, March 2, 2018

I didn't listen to Fushitsusha/Keiji Haino for a long time now, without any special reason. Also all the Fushitsusha records since 2012 are unknown to me. I tried to get everything I could from the middle of the nineties until maybe 2006/2007, which wasn't really easy back then (say middle of the 90s, no internet, etc.)
I think I saw Haino live 3 times, 2 earth shaking solo concerts and 1 time with Peter Brötzmann and Shoji Hano. A friend of mine brought a colleague from work to the trio show. After some minutes Haino moved to the microphone and started to scream without mercy. The colleague left immediately, almost in panic. Haha, nice memories.
On my first trip to London in the middle of the nineties I drooled for hours over the Soul's True Love box in the Tower records shop. But as I hadn't the money back then, I whispered a sad goodbye and left. As I was leaving the shop, my girlfriend back then bought it and sent it home through postal service and it arrived just right for my birthday. One of the greatest surprises and gifts I ever got.
So it seems the right time now to search the boxes for some Haino/Fushitsusha refreshments.

Andrew McIntosh

"The Gynger Effect/The Earwigs", split tape. Was turned onto this, this morning, by an old o.s. friend of mine. Got me thinking about how some releases/projects/etc remain pretty much obscure even in this scene than others. This is low-fi, cruddy shitnoise. The first side is made up of individual tracks that verge on actual music, the second a long sprawling piece that's more Noise. I prefer the second side, but I like both. I think I've seen The Earwigs mentioned maybe twice or so in the Noise scene generally, that I've seen anyway. The former project, not at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOIqo7kuZHE
Shikata ga nai.