PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashmonger

Quote from: Brad on February 20, 2011, 07:34:23 AM
I wouldn't consider Leichenlinie a monotonous album.
Definately not the album in its entirety, but some of the tracks sound a bit monotonous. Anyway, as said, it's a grower (for me at least).

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: Ashmonger on February 20, 2011, 01:46:59 AM
Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on February 19, 2011, 05:11:33 PM
Quote from: Ashmonger on February 19, 2011, 11:47:08 AM
Anenzephalia - Noehaem (LP, Tesco/Zaetraom): Started weird with the first track being kind of classical music (dark, subdued kind of but still), not what I expected, then the second track starts with electronics, but in a way compliments the first track very well, so this works fine. (That first track in itself is good as well, just was not what I expected, hehe.) Overall this is some really good Death Industrial. Really like this LP.

Try listening to this album and nothing else for an entire day. Preferably when not leaving the flat/house. What at first seems boring and non eventful evolves into a truly oppressive album if given enough time and effort. It'll make you feel quite anxious and uncomfortable. The first time this album really hit me was when I was stuck in one of the many never ending queues in the London rush hour. Perfect!

Just wondering, don't you mean the Leichenlinie album? Because as far as Noehaem goes, I don't have the feeling it's monotonous, whereas I said something along these lines about Leichenlinie.

I didn't have Leichenlinie in mind. I don't rate that album very much at all. In it's day I can see why it had an impact but unlike for example Remember, or even In-Konflikt, I don't think it has stood the test of time that well.

Noehaem is a monotonous album and like all the best bands who employ the tactics of tedium to wear the listener down there is a lot more hidden beneath than what first meets the ear. It's one of the heaviest albums I've ever heard. Possibly one of the heaviest albums ever made.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Ashmonger

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on February 20, 2011, 02:27:39 PMNoehaem is a monotonous album and like all the best bands who employ the tactics of tedium to wear the listener down there is a lot more hidden beneath than what first meets the ear. It's one of the heaviest albums I've ever heard. Possibly one of the heaviest albums ever made.
Oh, ok, my mistake.
It might indeed be monotonous, but this is an album I liked from the first listening though. Though I believe there's a lot to hear further than the first listen.
Now that we're talking about Anenzephalia anyway: how do their other albums comparte to this?

GEWALTMONOPOL

When I say monotony I don't mean it in a negative sense, I mean it as a description of sound or style based on repetition. To me monotony is it. The fast paced cut up style noise and improv stop start jazz shit give my ears cancer of the cock. It's no good.

The best Anenzephalia I've heard is the Live in Boras CD. The last 7" Projected Void is sheer brilliance. The New World Disorder and Sender Mussen Schweigen EP's are good while Ephemeral Dawn is so so. I haven't heard Lyse or the first LP Fragments of Demise. Both of them go for mega money but people whose judgement I trust say they are quite shit so I'm not worried about not having them.

I haven't heard everything of course but my impression is that Anenzephalia in general hold a higher standard than GO on compilations.

Also, when I mentioned great GO albums before I forgot to include The Truth Will Make You Free. That one is IMO the best album they've done. If you don't have it then there's something to look forward to.

Oh, the new Anenzephalia album was announced a couple of days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhW5K60yZS8&feature=player_embedded

Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Ashmonger

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on February 20, 2011, 06:48:36 PMWhen I say monotony I don't mean it in a negative sense, I mean it as a description of sound or style based on repetition. To me monotony is it. The fast paced cut up style noise and improv stop start jazz shit give my ears cancer of the cock. It's no good.
I see what you mean now (sorry, my brain is a bit slow today it seems). I do like some of the totally chaotic stuff, but indeed stuff like Anenzephalia has much more atmosphere and works on an different level.

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on February 20, 2011, 06:48:36 PMThe best Anenzephalia I've heard is the Live in Boras CD. The last 7" Projected Void is sheer brilliance. The New World Disorder and Sender Mussen Schweigen EP's are good while Ephemeral Dawn is so so. I haven't heard Lyse or the first LP Fragments of Demise. Both of them go for mega money but people whose judgement I trust say they are quite shit so I'm not worried about not having them.

I haven't heard everything of course but my impression is that Anenzephalia in general hold a higher standard than GO on compilations.

Also, when I mentioned great GO albums before I forgot to include The Truth Will Make You Free. That one is IMO the best album they've done. If you don't have it then there's something to look forward to.

Oh, the new Anenzephalia album was announced a couple of days ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhW5K60yZS8&feature=player_embedded
Thanks for the information! Apart from the Juche comp, I don't own anything else from either GO or Anenzephalia. Sounds like Anenzephalia is definately worth to check out further. That new track sounds good, almost ambient-like, I like this.

pontifx

XE - WP LP
white wolves kommando - our empire of shadows tape
thorofon - maximum punishment solutions
behexen - from the devils chalice cd

P-K

grating & pounding industrial by Cazzodio, but not the beats/sampling/programming like Cazzodio.....sounds very digital but with very destroyed sounds. one of those releases that sits around in distro's for cheap for ages....

RyanWreck

Deterge - Intellect - Pummelling and brutal. Two 9 minute slabs of grinding Power Electronics with up-front vocal attacks and damaged crackling rumbles. This is just swelling with activity and movement. I need to hear more from this artist. Does anyone know who is behind this?

Swollen Korps - Erect in Blood - This was the very first release by this mysterious Industrial act. The second, "Better To Destroy A Child Than Repair A Man" which came out last year, was 2010's best P.E./Industrial release in my opinion. I owned "Erect in Blood" before I heard the other release and just recently decided to go back to it with fresh ears. Side A is two tracks that both add up to just over 12 minutes. There is a very cold, lo-fi repetition going on here. A good amount of synth action that isn't sharp (although there is some instances where bits and pieces of feedback poke around in the background) nor is it thick and rumbling, it is more in between, a tumbling static somewhere in the middle ground as far as tone is concerned. The use of victim samples is perfectly placed as are the curious and original high-pitched wailing vocals that punctuate the slow burning atmosphere. Side B is a 15 minute discussion between Otis Toole and Lucas about their case, which is very uninteresting, although it may have something to do with the subject matter on Side A but I can't be certain.

FreakAnimalFinland

SHIFT "morose" tape
very good. It's good it came out now, since I believe upcoming split with SS will simply CRUSH, but this tape is still very good. Monolith blocks of droning heavy noise with vocals. Good length and presentation.

BIZARRE UPROAR live CD
pretty good sound overall. Includes his solo gigs and with various featuring members, which gives different gigs different feeling. It's not same thing over and over again, but each one is relevant to be on the CD!

Teater "absolutenothing" CD
People were not kidding when they praised this. Last track is perhaps little too much of test tone frequency torture, but rest of the CD, damn tasty Italian PE, including also cover of PE anthem Can't Stand That Bitchy Chick! What a sexy artists photos too. Center fold!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

heretogo

Cabaret Voltaire - Red Mecca cd
Continuing my neverending project: "Getting acquainted with the classics". I never paid any attention to these guys, a mistake it seems. Very, very good stuff. Just enough funk/black influences to make things flow and still not sound cheesy/contrived. Sounds aggressive and yet quite subtle. What are the other essential releases from them? I guess they took a sharp turn towards pop charts at some point?

post-morten

Quote from: heretogo on February 21, 2011, 07:14:15 PM
Cabaret Voltaire - Red Mecca cd
Continuing my neverending project: "Getting acquainted with the classics". I never paid any attention to these guys, a mistake it seems. Very, very good stuff. Just enough funk/black influences to make things flow and still not sound cheesy/contrived. Sounds aggressive and yet quite subtle. What are the other essential releases from them? I guess they took a sharp turn towards pop charts at some point?

While their first three albums (Mix-Up, Voice Of America and Red Mecca) all are quite essential, for me the Cab's were also very much a singles band. Some of their absolutely finest moments were issued on 7" slabs of wax, and were conveniently collected on the Living Legends double-LP. I'd try to hunt that one down if I were you; it's been re-released on CD and is not hard to find.

After Red Mecca they went even more funky and saxophone-heavy on 2x45 before they started aiming for the dance floors with The Crackdown (still a very good album though) and Microphonies. From there it went all downhill - the transition into a commercial venture had been completed.

Hell, this year marks the 30th anniversary since I bought Red Mecca, my first brush with the industrial subculture together with TG's Heathen Earth

XE

HALTHAN/BRANDCOMMANDO Split TAPE
Nice Halthan eagle logo. First H track brilliant, thick sound wall w/commanding vocals. Good sample placement. next 2 would perhaps have benefitted loud amps type of recording method. Last one NO REMORSE cover live and loud in bunker, very much what I like: filthy fierce and chaotic. Just like Halthan live has been at best.  
BC starts w/easy listening frequencies, loop like door going forth and back. I could listen this w/my grandmother and have a nice cup of tea. at some point feedback gets nastier creating strange mixture of hard and soft. nice idea. Unfortunately overall sounds are way too much "guy sitting front of lap top" like.

SHIFT"Morose" TAPE
Bleak,disturbing,Negative,Sick.Slowly evolving sounds and perfectly balanced vocals. Damn good! Vinylworthy.

Ernpe

Quote from: XE on February 23, 2011, 12:57:54 PM
HALTHAN/BRANDCOMMANDO Split TAPE
Nice Halthan eagle logo. First H track brilliant, thick sound wall w/commanding vocals. Good sample placement. next 2 would perhaps have benefitted loud amps type of recording method. Last one NO REMORSE cover live and loud in bunker, very much what I like: filthy fierce and chaotic. Just like Halthan live has been at best.  

The last song beats all others from this release, actually making all others sound boring. Too bad all songs are not as raw and violent.
For what I remember from two listening, Brandcommando is decent but feeble compared to recent tapes on NBM and Unrest.
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

XE

S-21 "To keep you is no benefit..." TAPE (DISEASE FOUNDRY)
Good dirty Ramirez Harsh Noise.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Tala-I-Avskurna-Tungor/release/2580901
TALA I AVSKURNA v/a TAPE (BOLVÄRK)
ALFARMANIA Kristian`s tape label. Very putrid uber filthy BM. Some bands pure hate and evil. Few silly ones. Overall excellent comp.

bogskaggmannen

Quote from: Dan J on February 14, 2011, 01:28:31 AM
crybaby, we left the 90's a few years back, might be wise to accept that, haha! do you even listen to the new stuff that gets released? i just find it hard to take your post serious when there's so much good going on now...

No, I seldom listen to new stuff - mainly because I feel many don't have much to offer conceptwise or images/overall style don't get me going. I think you are a much more open minded person than me, Dan. Still, I don't have a problem with being quite conservative - there's still much to explore from earlier years.