PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 09, 2019, 12:56:34 PM
FACIALMESS / HERMIT split tape
Recalcitrant Noise
Fuck how great Facialmess is on this tape! Listening some of his later works where cut up & funny bits never get really brutal has made me wonder what were the actually best Facialmess recordings out there. And I can vote for this. Almost flawless performance of fast, brutal, ripping and highly vivid movement. Never gets boring during 30 mins of duration. Hermit is also good here, but his work is so much more toned down industrial type noise that after being electrocuted by Facialmess, it doesn't feel equally exciting. Probably projects would have both benefited from solo C-30 releases?!
Facialmess/Gestorte Nachbarn C-20 and a s/t C-20, both on Bloated Corpse (I believe), from that same time of 1996-1997 are similar.  I don't believe either are listed at Discogs, but I can't remember what the s/t cover looks like to double-check right now.  There are probably more tapes of this style and high quality from that period and also on Bloated Corpse (his label).  Would love to see a box set of that period and his label.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

There is also GRUNT / FACIALMESS split LP from roughly same era. Meaning - it must be good, but it must be 20 years when I last listened to it... I think I got to grab this from shelves soon. First check what old tapes I have in collection... I think the early material made impression, but as said, later more amusing ultra cut up less so...

VU "s/t" tape
Brown Hill Mafia
New finnish duo. Filed under industrial-ambient. Ambient description is quite far fetched, I think. Maybe usage of some fairly modern synths may cause this. Yet sound is recorded in echoing chamber, nearly live-session I've been told. It's far more industrial with experimental soundscapes, droning electronics, but too much roughness to be what traditionally is "ambient". Good tape, I was actually surprised how good it was when I was expecting... "ambient".

AARON DILLOWAY "Banned/Bent" tape
Banned
raw tape loops, grinding for half an hour. Good sound, really neat and simple material that works.

SHARON'S LAST PARTY "Bayonetts for lhasa" tape
kickacid
I was expecting more old IRM type of stuff leaning towards heavy electronics type of stuff! Wasn't 7" way more industrial. Don't remember when I listened this, release over decade ago. Slow, scratching and bow-on-objects type of sounds,.. bass guitar? Throat-singing chanting, etc. One long side that slows well. Far more ritual music direction than I remember other stuff to be.

DRUG AGE "Tropismo" tape
Joy De Vivre
Not been following what are the latest news of the Italian harsh noise activities. I have impression that it's not as active as it was while ago? This tape, really brilliant. Sounds like single take, no overdubs kind of noise. Ripping and brutal, yet evades the easiest sub-categories. Just the kind of good noise I like.

ULTRA FUCK "Sex at the Maly Trostenests" tape
Thorax Harsh Cassettes
Really primitive noise. Some loops appear as if they were just done by pushing pause, rewinding fragment and pushing pause again and repeating process of abruptly ending repeating sound fragments. Vocals without any neat effects. It doesn't sound like Streicher, but if one would compare level of technical quality - somewhere in similar direction yet even more fucked up.

EN NIHIL "Assertive Order of Obedience" tape
Labyrinth
About 2/3 of a-side is dull blown up simple HWN. One bassy tone crackling and rumbling for probably 20 minutes, until suddenly changes. Rest of the tape we can hear bleak and raw electronics noise with much more variation. There's none of the dark and "industrial" tone known from some En Nihil stuff, yet it ain't the typical harsh noise. Its good for being quite different from most of recent listening.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ConcreteMascara

Clinic of Torture - Rope Suspension CD - maybe the smoothest listen as far as CoT goes? less rough than the original album, more active than the 2nd album. "Pulse of Blood 2" is a notable highlight with its heartbeat rhythm. If you like other Clinic of Torture releases, you'll like this. Only complaint, I miss those rhythmic tracks that show up frequently on Sounds of Torment, Perversion Bizar and the live recordings.

Encephalophonic -X CD - had this on heavy repeat lately. cut-up harsh noise that manages to be technical and absolutely brutal at the same time. I think a big part of what sets Encephalophonic apart from other harsh noisers is the unique vibe. it's not just seedy or crusty, but just this cold steel / razorblade masochism thing that's reinforced so well by the artwork. if Caligula031 is the soundtrack to female trafficking in the Balkans, then Encephalophonic is the soundtrack for their lives once they're discarded.

Mo*Te - Life in a Peaceful New World CD - of all the top-tier Japanese noise reissues from the past two years, this is the biggest revelation for me. incredibly pure harsh noise that doesn't have a single bland second. yesterday I listened to it four times in a row and was barely satisfied. fuck.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

cr

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on February 15, 2019, 06:46:53 PM
Encephalophonic -X CD - had this on heavy repeat lately. cut-up harsh noise that manages to be technical and absolutely brutal at the same time. I think a big part of what sets Encephalophonic apart from other harsh noisers is the unique vibe. it's not just seedy or crusty, but just this cold steel / razorblade masochism thing that's reinforced so well by the artwork. if Caligula031 is the soundtrack to female trafficking in the Balkans, then Encephalophonic is the soundtrack for their lives once they're discarded.

Thanks for this, never read a better description for the great noise that is Encephalophonic!

Totally different, but I listened a lot to Ulex Xane's Stances Semblance CD. And I have to say I like it more every time. Great record! Definitely a highlight of 2018 for me.

Yrjö-Koskinen

TRERIKSRÖSET - Kristen Musik från Rågsved LP
Been going through this a number of times now, including a couple of sober listens during the day, and feel like I've got it now. One could say something along the lines of "vintage Treriksröset, dude, you know it's absolutely spectacular", or one could go off on a pretentious rant about how this is actually deeper than expected. Imma do both. This is vintage Treriksröset, dude, and you know it's absolutely spectacular. It should also be said that this is actually quite deep, and raises more than one interesting point about the nature of harsh noise and aesthetics in general. If you think you know pretty much what to expect, as I did, the brief intro is totally out of left field as far as the sonic atmosphere goes. For a brief moment I thought I had mistakenly stumbled onto some "post mortem" industrial stuff. This feeling was interrupted in a supremely surprising and equally satisfying way by pure, unmortem harsh noise of a type any fan of Sexregler will recognize instantly. Treriksröset, bitch. Extremely organic despite its sharp harshness, complex despite its virtually mono-layered structure and, most importantly: violent and chaotic without ever becoming obnoxious or annoying. These are things that could be said about all Treriksröset recordings, but apply more than ever when it comes to the two tracks making up the A side of this presentation of Christian music from Rågsved. The B side houses only the title track which, ever so subtly, crosses a barrier or two by somehow summoning angels of a a nature slightly more corporeal than you'd expect from previous encounters with this project. I've not been able to pinpoint it, but a certain physicality can be detected throughout the track; there's something industrial in the literal meaning of the word going on here. It's captivating, no matter what. As a final note on the actual sound, it should be said that when you realize you've spent five minutes listening to the locked grove before realizing that there even is a locked groove on the album, then you know you've found some good fucking harsh noise (as well as someone dedicated to getting his locked grooves just right). The cover and artwork is also mindblowing in its balanced perfection. It is too soon to start making lists over best 2019 releases, but whatever happens, Kristen Musik från Rågsved will make the top 3.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A "Lapse From Virtue" tape
Sound of Pig
Back in 1989 Yutaka Tanaka (s*core) compiled this C-60 of japanese noise for Sound Of Pig tape label. Even if many famous names are included, atmosphere is quite unlike the "japanese noise of the 90's".
Solmania, Merzbow and The Hanatarash next to industrial sound of Contagious Orgasm , S*Core, and delicate experimental violin sound of Agencement. And bunch of oddities Liminal, Nihilist Surfin' Group, Noizrt and Thug System to mention. It reminds far more the "experimental tape scene", than what was published just few years later as Japanoise. Not a perfect tape by any means, but good stuff nevertheless!

MACRONYMPHA "1990-91 vol. 2" tape
MSNP
All info that can be found about this is "Recorded 1990-91 Pittsburgh PA. Edition of 30 copies issued by Rodger Stella." Material sound somehow familiar at parts, but it is hard to say what kind of sessions this compiles? Is it unreleased stuff? Is it sound material that was later used on some other tapes? Almost entire C-90 is good stuff. Lots of metal noise loops, that are highly textured. One beat oriented track is quite useless among brilliant material.

KILLY DOG BOX "Against the forgetting" tape
Линия Шума
Russian label did tape version of that was year later re-released as CDR. Again one of the UK bands I have really no clue what and when they have been active and how this tape ended to my shelves. Edition of 59 copies, hand stamped covers, quite good experimental / ambient / industrial soundscapes of some sort. Not something I get overtly excited, but stuff I like to listen to while doing mailorder packages etc.

Another release with plenty of UK artists presence is PROTUBERANCE comp tape. Cementimental, Filthy Turd, Bongoleeros, and suddenly followed by massive track of Concrete Violin... tape just playing as we speak so still 3/4 to be listened before heading towards live gig of Blood of thee christ, Young Hustlers etc this evening!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Lazrs3

Natural Orthodoxy - Trust Exercises. Cassette 2018. I discovered this project on here on the UK PE thread and decided to buy a tape after the link was posted. I did a full review on my blog. I liked how he pulled all the very different tracks together. I found the work very bleak in a Northern English way and thought that made it unique. There was a good sense of experimentation too, it didn't seem that conservative as a result. Like other younger UK stuff it seemed very personal and I liked that. I played a load of stuff off his Bandcamp and got into it, I will be on the discogs hunt for more stuff over time.

Duncan

Reynols - Minecxio Emanations 1993-2018 box set 2019
Pica Disk

Monumental box set just released on Marhaug's imprint celebrating this cult Argentinian group.  Amazing lofi live recordings for the most part, some nice collaged approaches to how the tracks run together.  Improv and jam after improv and jam but I have been listening for hours with no boredom at all.  I'm not sure how but this band really manages to be a cut above lots of other free psych stuff of a similar nature.  Only here will I make mention of Miguel Tomasin's Down Syndrome condition as a possible reason for this?  It exists beyond just the scope of actively trying to be some kind of noisy improv band and simply....is what ever these guys do with very listenable results?

I'm only listening online as my box hasn't arrived yet and I can't wait to see the thing properly.  One of the best bands ever?!

DSOL

Controlled Death  ‎– Black Lucifer Rising

Sickness  ‎– No One Cries For The Death Of A Disease...

Dark Sonority  ‎– Kaosrekviem

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

Lazrs3

Climax Denial - All of My Loves Are Like Dreams - (Assembly of Hatred, 2010) - I bought this a few years ago and keep coming back to it from time to time.  I was doing some work so I drifted in and out of it. It does that low level thing, distant vocals etc and I think it does that very well. The reason it stood out is I was listening to a release that revelled in low level,vocals in the distance stuff and it didn't work as well and this is an example of that kind of thing being done very well. My Jewel Case for it is wrecked though, need to get a new one.

Climax Denial - Sexuality is a Curse - ( IDES recordings, 2006) - This I also got years ago, it's more explosive than the other release and I really got into it. This I got with the cd as I read about the IDES label and Climax Denial in As Loud as Possible. Do love these two bits I have by the project, but this tape really goes off on one and I like it more.

The Implicate Order Volume 1 and 2 - ( Self released, 2002 -3) This project was Justin Bennett and Paris Sadonis - I got rips of these from a friend as I knew Paris from Shadow Project and Premature Ejaculation. He's done loads of odd Dark Ambient stuff like this, Involution, Foxfairy, Paris, Gravehill, Witch. This is fairly dark with odd bits thrown in, it gets sparkly in parts and a bit PE in parts. I am slightly obsessed with this, it's like a lighter Premature Ejaculation, but good, will find these someday on original. It was self released and sold on the project's old MySpace, how I miss those innocent days of social media. I am a complete Premature Ejaculation obsessive and tend to like projects vaguely linked to it.

bitewerksMTB

IRM "Closure" cd (Malignant Records)- goddamn, I would consider this a modern day classic of industrial music & the label has it for $5. It took me this long to buy the damn thing as it just slipped my mind back when it was causing a minor stir as it whether or not it was 'Power Electronics'. Who the fuck cares? It's intense & dramatic from start to finish. Highly Recommended esp. at the current price.

If anyone in the U.S. has Irm or Bladh-related materials, drop me a line.

S.P.K. "Live at the Crypt" cd (O.E.C.)- new reissue that's pretty damn good. Not a lot to say, really.

absurdexposition

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 22, 2019, 08:21:20 PM
IRM "Closure" cd (Malignant Records)- goddamn, I would consider this a modern day classic of industrial music & the label has it for $5. It took me this long to buy the damn thing as it just slipped my mind back when it was causing a minor stir as it whether or not it was 'Power Electronics'. Who the fuck cares? It's intense & dramatic from start to finish. Highly Recommended esp. at the current price.

I need to revisit this. Not sure if I've heard it since it came out. I think my favourite IRM material might still be the stuff from the Nihil 2LP on CMI.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: absurdexposition on February 22, 2019, 08:31:30 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 22, 2019, 08:21:20 PM

I need to revisit this. Not sure if I've heard it since it came out. I think my favourite IRM material might still be the stuff from the Nihil 2LP on CMI.

I pulled Nihil to give Irm another listen & have "Oedipus Dethroned" on the way along with an order for "Order" on Discogs I'm waiting for an invoice. I've always liked Irm but never gave the rel's much attention beyond the first listen. Hell, I didn't make it all the way through the Bladh/Sotos cd... "Closure", though, hit me instantly. Played it twice the day I received it.

Strangecross

I just got Irm's indications of nigredo in the mail today I ordered it out of the blue only because ive liked the concept of nigredo and I wanted to see what the image on the cover was up close!

Ive seen them live and heard a few things but nothing really stuck out, I'm excited listen

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: Strangecross on February 22, 2019, 10:40:52 PM
I just got Irm's indications of nigredo in the mail today I ordered it out of the blue only because ive liked the concept of nigredo and I wanted to see what the image on the cover was up close!

Ive seen them live and heard a few things but nothing really stuck out, I'm excited listen

I'm listening to "Indicator of Nigredo 1" on youtube right now & I want this record! His vocals are pretty much the same as on "Closure" but with more heavy PE elements. I also listened to the Four Studies For Crucifixion 10", which, is good but I prefer his vocals on Nigredo more. Excellent droning tones & panning heavy white noise.