PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

so I'm extremely slow about checking out "classic" albums and artists from the '80s and early '90s. whether it's black metal, industrial or death metal I'll put off checking out the big name releases that I've never heard indefinitely, partially out of arbitrariness and partially because I don't need another band to obsess over. I do the same thing with artist who have big discographies. but in an effort to expand my horizons by looking back I recently picked up Dissecting Table's - Zigoku LP reissue w a bootleg VHS of Between Life and Death Live Performance (thanks Skeleton Dust!) and Blood ov Thee Christ's "Master Control" CD reissue (thanks Millstone!).

Dissecting Table - Zigoku LP - my only exposure to Dissecting Table before this is his tracks scattered across various comps from '08-'14 and the split with Sektor 304. I had a vague idea of what I was in for, and that it would be quite different from those later works but oh boy was I unprepared. My first thought, "this is some weird shit!". Maybe it shows just how narrowly focused the style/sound of industrial has become, or my lack of exposure to bands that aren't unrelentingly bleak (or attempting to be), but this album is a veritable cornucopia of sounds, tempos and structures. there's an actual album structure where all things are connected and move from the atmospheric to the intense and relentless and then back again. it reminds of me of Robert Prince's midi music for DOOM and DOOM II, but also Chu Ishikawa's soundtrack work and the game Clock Tower for Playstation. the extremely dated nature of a lot of the sounds makes it seem older than it is, but also charming in a slightly nostalgic way. It's definitely like listening to a time capsule. But I guess a lot of people here have been listening to Dissecting Table for a long time so it's not so weird for them? Regardless, really happy I added this to my collection and will be getting more. Any one have suggestions on where to head next into this massive discography?

Blood ov thee Christ - Master Control CD - I've heard a lot about this one for a long time. Cheers to Segerhuva for making such huge pressings of their CDs that they're all still available for reasonable (cheap!) prices so slow people like me can still enjoy the music. So the main event, the title track is 45 minutes of disturbed, shrieking hell. is it all one live to tape recording or just a seemless mix of madness? doesn't matter, it's absolutely unrelenting. the closest point of reference would probably be later Taint albums. love the ultra damaged nature of all the sounds, the buried but ripping vocals. I can understand how this must have been pretty fucking influential for those who heard it 1987, much like the RJF album Segerhuva also reissued.

Grim - Orgasm LP - haven't picked up the reissues of the old material but I figured I should grab this before its only sold by discogs vultures for $$$$$$. having no experience with White Hospital, Grim or Vasilisk, I had no expectations to be met. again, this felt outside of my normal "industrial" listening habits. there no massive walls of distortion, explosive violence, bone-crunching metal abuse or up-front vocal assaults. instead its lo-fi industrial sounds from an old tape rescued from a musty Japanese cellar, or so it seems. each track is its own little world, fading in and out of sync with our reality. there's this slightly skuzzy folk punk feeling throughout that gives needed immediacy to an otherwise anemic and ethereal sound. recommended!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

I'm a big, big fan of Dissecting Table, and Zigoku is my favorite album from him (and a favorite, top 100 albums type of deal for me).  I've always found it filmic, dynamic, and focused in a long view way.  In other words, it feels like there is a big arc there, and that isn't common in most types of music, let alone in difficult musics.  I was well versed until post-2000.  I lost track after that, but when I have checked out newer works, I've found it rewarding.  I thought we had a dedicated DS thread different than the one I have below, but maybe that was on Troniks?  If you want to talk about him more in depth or privately, PM me.  Being lazy, I'll plagiarize myself from another place:

"I wondered why Dissecting Table had a CD on Blood Sucker. Didn't realize Ichiro Tsuji is none other than 'One!', the original vocalist from seminal 80's HC unit Gudon, in which Blood Sucker founder 'Guy' plays bass.' Intrinsically Pure is the DS album."

"Spent the week revisiting a lot of the Dissecting Table catalog, up through Groping in the Dark (2002). I think I'm going to come off my Power Out of Control and Memories recommendations. They're more noisy and abstract than I remembered, so unless you have a thing for Japanese noise with less industrialism and more density, then those might not be good introduction albums. He does it well; lots of varied sounds and smart, 'difficult' listening. Not the unbridled industrial chaos I remembered them being. Still can't make up my mind between Life and Human Breeding (Relapse years). They both had some iffy spots and one stand-out track. Good albums, but one doesn't come across as the clear winner. Groping in the Dark jumped to maybe a 2nd recommendation behind Zigoku. It's his first album in many years where he's gone from the 4-song, long track format to the 10-song, traditional song length format. It's very high quality 'industrial metal'. If you like Godflesh, Meathook Seed, early Pitchshifter, etc, this might be your album. It is still purely Dissecting Table, with the drama, wide range of sounds and tones, sharp songwriting, and the rest of his signatures. It's not quite as accessible as Godflesh and Meathook Seed, but these 2-5 minute songs are definitely influenced by metal, riffs, and structured drumming. Pretty impressive that he can pull it off as well as he does. I'm going to have to give the next couple of albums closer attention. It's that good."

"I can't keep focused. Fell off the path as I was grabbing the CDs because I'd forgotten about Into the Light on Crowd Control Activities (incredibly solid catalog). I remember why Between Life and Death gets overshadowed by Zigoku. BLaD doesn't really go anywhere. With the exception of the track 'Murder Music', the other tracks are interchangeable. Zigoku does take a similar approach, but it is successful as it travels new situations and dialog with each track; storylike. It's the idea much better realized. Back to Into the Light...four long, varied tracks. Some heavy use of computer sounds, but more gamey than hollow plastic. Destroyed and distorted metals. Factory rhythms. Saws and sparks. Chaotic and layered, but almost minimalist in ways (at least for him). Less filmic. More about focused early industrialism."

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=2513.0
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ekastaka

Wutanes Heer - Wutanes Heer
This one is a nice little gem. Blurs the lines between industrial and noise bringing a certain atavistic mood that is not easily conjured with this genre of music. I'm also really into the packaging/art of the tape version, compliments the music well. Always find myself wanting to come back to this release.

Kaevum - Natur
This is premier black metal imo. Its beautiful without leaving the framework of black metal. The sparse use of melodic vocals work well with the cold guitar/drum work. Heard a second album has been done for a while, would be nice for that to see the light of day soon.

Die Kombination - Ein Gefängnis Für Den Geist
Very glad I was able to acquire this tape. This is pretty comparable to the Wutanes Heer tape mentioned above. I don't think they necessarily sound similar, more so the similarity lies in the approach/mood. The material varies from pulsing PE to traditional Industrial rhythms and even adding some almost Post-Industrial elements in the mix. The sounds and mood are executed so well on this release. There's a certain mysterious aura throughout the tape, its almost religious. Great release from Endangered Species, who have quickly become one of my favorite labels.

Akitsa - Credo
Was going to wait for the vinyl to get here, but picked up the tape when I saw them a couple weeks ago. Any new material from this band is mandatory. This release does feel a bit different than previous ones - the production is cleaned up and there is more of a metal style in the guitars (specifically the second song's galloping palm muting and the last song, which is rather anthemic). Given that, all the things that have made Akitsa great are still present. The music is contemplative and trance-like without veering into atmospheric black metal territory. This is definitely among my favorite releases of the year. Hard to say where it falls along their previous body of work as its still fresh and I'm still getting used to the slight changes. Excellent release nonetheless.

Strömkarlen

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on November 30, 2018, 04:52:28 PM

Blood ov thee Christ - Master Control CD - I've heard a lot about this one for a long time. Cheers to Segerhuva for making such huge pressings of their CDs that they're all still available for reasonable (cheap!) prices so slow people like me can still enjoy the music. So the main event, the title track is 45 minutes of disturbed, shrieking hell. is it all one live to tape recording or just a seemless mix of madness? doesn't matter, it's absolutely unrelenting. the closest point of reference would probably be later Taint albums. love the ultra damaged nature of all the sounds, the buried but ripping vocals. I can understand how this must have been pretty fucking influential for those who heard it 1987, much like the RJF album Segerhuva also reissued.

BOTC was mostly know as a mail-order back then. Harri was already a myth but with exception of some of the Northen lunatic fringe the recordings wasn't common knowledge until we re-released them. RJF was a different story.

PTM Jim

Quote from: sunandsteel on December 01, 2018, 09:56:24 AM

Kaevum - Natur
This is premier black metal imo. Its beautiful without leaving the framework of black metal. The sparse use of melodic vocals work well with the cold guitar/drum work. Heard a second album has been done for a while, would be nice for that to see the light of day soon.

They are the best Norwegian black metal band since Darkthrone. Really hope that recorded album sees the light of day soon.

brutalist_tapes

the first real peste noire album from 2006, had never really given it a proper change... no wonder he made himself a made name off of that.

urall

Quote from: PTM Jim on December 01, 2018, 07:00:00 PM
Quote from: sunandsteel on December 01, 2018, 09:56:24 AM

Kaevum - Natur

They are the best Norwegian black metal band since Darkthrone. Really hope that recorded album sees the light of day soon.

Didn't know this band but it's good stuff !

Peterson

Shredded Nerve "Final Vision" CS (New Forces, 2018)
         Not that I've heard a single weak release from this East Coast sound artiste, but his game seems to improve wildly each time around. This time, it's great to have a full-length, and one that flows so naturally at that. Lots of "lo-fi anti-harsh noise" ala Vat and Legless, but with some great acoustic and field recording elements, of course with a grimy tape-decayed veneer. The gorgeous loop work included has this sort of musty, vintage quality where the sounds are like the illustrations on some crumbling, old book with an art deco cover. I've got a couple of his older and now-rare tapes, anyone want to trade them both for a copy of "Trojan Self Image?" Not counting on it, but if so, let me know.

FallOfNature

X.E - Vala tape set
Obviously needs no introduction. Personal pick of the project's output.

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Revisiting a classic.

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tars Oss
as above.

Digerdöden ‎– Majestätens Dunkla Håg, I Dödens Profana Ståt
More solid gold from Ancient Records guys

Subklinik - Subklinik
Brand new album. Some really impressive material in classic Subklinik vein and a few new experiments in there too.

Slægt ‎– Beautiful and Damned
Melodic black/death on Iron Bonehead. Reminds me of the catchy album that Algaion did. Have to be in a mood for this kind of thing to enjoy it. OK for background noise.

ekastaka

Quote from: FallOfNature on December 09, 2018, 12:26:37 PM
Melodic black/death on Iron Bonehead. Reminds me of the catchy album that Algaion did. Have to be in a mood for this kind of thing to enjoy it. OK for background noise.

Demo and White Medal split are great and showed real promise. The first LP is one of my favorite contemporary BM albums. The drastic change following that is a disappointment. I have and occasionally spin Beautiful and Damned plus the 2xLP successor. Storm of the Lights Bane mixed with certain Craft influences works when I'm in the mood, but perhaps I'm a victim of musical Stockholm syndrome and denial...

ligature impression

Worth - Blinder LP
Worth - Blood Possessed CDr

I've had a couple Worth tapes, but these were a total game changer. Blinder has such an amazing array of harsh textures. Constantly building and then changing, low/mid/high spread, different combinations. The intensity is not based on fast cuts but on perfect layering, tension and release. Unmistakably a harsh noise record but a lot more too. Blood Possessed is similarly harsh, but better develops a grim atmosphere, with warbly, groaning sounds and more wet, squelchy shrieks. I think it was nearly a year ago Mikko commented how the LP requires immediate repeat listens... when I got these the LP stayed on my stereo and the CDr stayed in my car for a week. 

Blood Possessed is awesome, and the LP is absolute perfection.

brutalist_tapes

Quote from: sunandsteel on December 09, 2018, 08:37:07 PM
Quote from: FallOfNature on December 09, 2018, 12:26:37 PM

Demo and White Medal split are great and showed real promise. The first LP is one of my favorite contemporary BM albums. The drastic change following that is a disappointment. I have and occasionally spin Beautiful and Damned plus the 2xLP successor. Storm of the Lights Bane mixed with certain Craft influences works when I'm in the mood, but perhaps I'm a victim of musical Stockholm syndrome and denial...
personally, i really like their new album, the wheel and thinks it's their best yet. but don't expect lo-fi, kvlt black metal - it's almost just heavy metal, but it's fucking great, in my opinion

Decrepitude

Government Alpha - Insanityranny CS
Great new long tape of psychedelic noise with clear but raw enough production. Nice tape with A4 fold-out of the cover art on Total Black.

Gnawed - HARM
Gnawed keeps on getting more and more plays from me. Very well done death industrial again, more on the subdued monotonous tension building (like the Ruin tape which this predates by a year or so) and less full on heaviness of Pestilence Beholden.

A Book Of Knots - Calm Eyes Speak Of Nostalgia
Droning, monotonic BM with blasting drum machine taking turns with catatonic dark ambient and rumbling, almost HNW type noise. Okay I guess, has the same feeling of some Pausage D'hiver stuff although not as good in execution.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Decrepitude on December 10, 2018, 01:44:58 PM
Government Alpha - Insanityranny CS
Great new long tape of psychedelic noise with clear but raw enough production. Nice tape with A4 fold-out of the cover art on Total Black.

I have feeling this was maybe thanks to tape format - ferric tapes dubbed on red, that there was tasty punch and saturation. Oscillations of electronic buzz, driven through distortions. If captured and released digitally, could be less good, but this tape - works out really nice!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

brutalist_tapes

just received and am listening to deus ex garbage can by gelsomina and it is excellent! almost power electronics w/o vocals, but with the flow of harsh noise - and at the same time very industrial! next up is sacrosanct imperium and then i have to get to work, unfortunately.