PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monotome

Harsh Truths Podcast Episode 8: Breaking The Will
Great stuff, really like what this guy is doing with it's podcast. Long form talks (or interviews if you like) with noiseheads, having a few good questions but also meandering off topic, being talkative. What I don't like with a lot of written interviews is that it's 1) to much about music only and thus stale questions / answers and 2) it lacks character. This has both. Hope he will be doing it for some time. Also I like long form talks, it's nice to drown out to. Need to check the New Forces label out ASAP, sounds interesting.

Agoraphobic Nosebleed - PCP Tornado
Shortest AN release. Also the best. Very energetic. They compress everything they know how to play, slow songs, fast songs, movie samples and lots of shouting in 6 minutes.

holy ghost

Quote from: monotome on May 28, 2018, 10:37:56 PM
Harsh Truths Podcast Episode 8: Breaking The Will
Great stuff, really like what this guy is doing with it's podcast. Long form talks (or interviews if you like) with noiseheads, having a few good questions but also meandering off topic, being talkative. What I don't like with a lot of written interviews is that it's 1) to much about music only and thus stale questions / answers and 2) it lacks character. This has both. Hope he will be doing it for some time. Also I like long form talks, it's nice to drown out to. Need to check the New Forces label out ASAP, sounds interesting

I don't really "do" the podcast thing but I'd be interested to maybe give this a shot.

Also New Forces is probably in the top 5 according I've noise labels operating, I try to pick up everything they've done if possible.

andy vomit

ANAL CUNT - I Like It When You Die CD
ANAL CUNT - Defenders of the Hate CD
ANAL CUNT - Wearing Out Our Welcome 12"
ADOLF SATAN - Self Titled CD

RIP Josh Martin
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

DSOL

Subservient Perversity - BTK
The 2nd demo from the ruthless black grinding terrorist cults. An homage to the BTK killer.

Country Club - Brothers - Brothers
Straight forward PE - some of my favorite stuff by CC

Qual - The Ultimate Climax
2nd album from William Maybelline of Lebanon Hanover,much darker album than the Sable album, sounds more like the Cupio Dissolvi ep.
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

online prowler

Quote from: online prowler on April 29, 2018, 07:50:31 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 28, 2018, 12:18:41 AM
Quote from: Theodore on April 27, 2018, 11:06:11 PM
Quote from: Theodore on April 27, 2018, 04:59:21 AM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 26, 2018, 05:52:24 PM
David Gilden - Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend cassette - Also, apparently there's more than one version of this tape and the music or sequence is substantially different between the two.

Really ? Is the reissue different edits / mixes than the original ? I only have the reissue. Do you know more info ? Or if anyone having both, shed some light please.

To answer my own question. I listened both the Devil Worship uploaded on Youtube -i guess it is from the original- and Side B of the reissue tape. Too long in duration to be sure, and i forgot most of the spots i had marked in my mind but what i remember and feel it's the same. Just my tape misses the last 10-20 sec -those with the drums- cause it ends.

I'll compare my copy to the upload and report back. This was all what I heard from someone who had two copies of the tape, so I believe 'em. I just have no way of knowing what version mine is without doing a sit-down audio comparison.

You know what my brain is shit. I was thinking of the two versions of Human Skin Lanters, whoops! Too many MSNP tapes that weekend...

----

I hadn't heard previously that the reissue GILDEN tape might be a different version than the originally reissued. I'll ask Stella about this next time. To my ears the latter version is stone cold killer. Flawless craft to the bone. Cannot recommend it enough.

HUMAN SKIN LANTERNS... There are two versions of Skin Stripperess anno 1995 - or three if one counts the reissue of the first tape in edition of 30. In addition there is a 'version 2' which consists of "different version than the previous reissue". Not sure what that indicates as I haven't heard the album. Anyways, inital reissue is ace and mandatory Macro/Taint collab.

Thought I should return w this. Was speaking to Stella some days ago and he cleared up a few things re the infamous GILDEN tape as well as HUMAN SKIN LANTERNS. Here is what he told me in edited format:

Gilden: The Gilden tape was cut together using various tapes he had sent us. We chose the best parts and cut them together. It is exactly the same the original release. It didn't have an official reissue date. I had a lot of requests for copies of it so if someone asked I would make them one.

Human Skin Lanterns: The Human Skin Lantern tapes are both totally different material. The material on both tapes was recorded and mixed at the same time. I made a couple different masters and liked both so that's why there are two versions.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: online prowler on May 31, 2018, 07:49:21 PM
Quote from: online prowler on April 29, 2018, 07:50:31 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 28, 2018, 12:18:41 AM
Quote from: Theodore on April 27, 2018, 11:06:11 PM
Quote from: Theodore on April 27, 2018, 04:59:21 AM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 26, 2018, 05:52:24 PM
David Gilden - Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend cassette - Also, apparently there's more than one version of this tape and the music or sequence is substantially different between the two.

Really ? Is the reissue different edits / mixes than the original ? I only have the reissue. Do you know more info ? Or if anyone having both, shed some light please.

To answer my own question. I listened both the Devil Worship uploaded on Youtube -i guess it is from the original- and Side B of the reissue tape. Too long in duration to be sure, and i forgot most of the spots i had marked in my mind but what i remember and feel it's the same. Just my tape misses the last 10-20 sec -those with the drums- cause it ends.

I'll compare my copy to the upload and report back. This was all what I heard from someone who had two copies of the tape, so I believe 'em. I just have no way of knowing what version mine is without doing a sit-down audio comparison.

You know what my brain is shit. I was thinking of the two versions of Human Skin Lanters, whoops! Too many MSNP tapes that weekend...

----

I hadn't heard previously that the reissue GILDEN tape might be a different version than the originally reissued. I'll ask Stella about this next time. To my ears the latter version is stone cold killer. Flawless craft to the bone. Cannot recommend it enough.

HUMAN SKIN LANTERNS... There are two versions of Skin Stripperess anno 1995 - or three if one counts the reissue of the first tape in edition of 30. In addition there is a 'version 2' which consists of "different version than the previous reissue". Not sure what that indicates as I haven't heard the album. Anyways, inital reissue is ace and mandatory Macro/Taint collab.

Thought I should return w this. Was speaking to Stella some days ago and he cleared up a few things re the infamous GILDEN tape as well as HUMAN SKIN LANTERNS. Here is what he told me in edited format:

Gilden: The Gilden tape was cut together using various tapes he had sent us. We chose the best parts and cut them together. It is exactly the same the original release. It didn't have an official reissue date. I had a lot of requests for copies of it so if someone asked I would make them one.

Human Skin Lanterns: The Human Skin Lantern tapes are both totally different material. The material on both tapes was recorded and mixed at the same time. I made a couple different masters and liked both so that's why there are two versions.

Thanks for the info!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

DSOL

Streicher/Totenrune- Global Gas Chamber / Bellum Internecinum

Angelcorpse- Exterminate - Perfect Morbid Angel worship. love the album when it first came out and still holds up for me to this day

Bloated Slutbag

This was my personal revelation for 2017. Possibly my vote for album of the year. Fake digest version at the end of this post.

Michael Ellingford ‎– A Tangled Web
Those seeking no bullshit no holds barred harsh are advised to seek elsewhere. As says in big letters, "Musique Concrete / Noise from South Australia". That's Noise second, big bearded first to Musique Concrete – hot steaming piles of it (bovine and otherwise). The principle party responsible has already impressed, with a handful of memorables under the name Deafault, most notably Nikita Division – the main of which is radically reworked for this project. Project does seem the appropriate term. Project proper, with phases for definition, planning, design, development, and, of course, the EXECUTION. This shit cold murders. It is so well put together it would probably be the first thing I'd throw on to convert the most stubborn of noise skeptics. (After, that is, dismembering and pissing on the corpse. Stupid fuck.)

Nikita Division is the first point of reference, but not before we're already three tracks deep. Opener "Irukandji Springs" is another rework, this time from the Hard Panning comp. Among luminaries like Jaako Vanhala, TEF and Lettera 22, the original comp submission (also courtesy Deafault) was a standout: taut, detailed, precise, but exploding with compact, tight-fisted, blasts of full-spectrum-ripping harsh. Here, on A Tangled Web, a completely different mood prevails: dark, complex, rich in dramatic tension, skillfully conjuring scenes of forest-draped mystery, far from human trespass, deep and beguiling pools beckoning the weary traveler. And, completely divested of harsh. Panpipes float over lower-pitched winds as inhuman snuffling growls ignite a foreboding cinematic palate washed with cold, bell-like drones and skittish, metallic riffles and scrapes, tentacled appendages writhing through the depths, latching on, dragging the listener down, deep, within. For the noisedonkey, satisfaction is far from guaranteed, but it wouldn't surprise me if a major Hollywood production company or two came calling. Coming to a theater near you.

"Jericho Trumpet" triumphantly announces the first gestures toward harsh. And they are, if not obscene, then certainly persuasive. Fat, flatulent, distorto bilge-balls, rear back, slam down, harrd, in looped percussive regularity. Cantankerous engine motors lurch and sputter, slowly, to life. Or so one might gather. As the stubborn engine continues its protest, a subtle tinkling on the ivories, piano keys occasionally discernible amid the ceaseless rigor of bilge balls methodically pounding their way around the channel pan. In fact, the goddamn machine never gets going, confining proceedings to frustrating fits of continuous revving, even as the piano dirge starts to echo in vaguely anthemic commiseration.

Anticlimax folds into the melodic piano dirge-ings of "Stone Banister", faint whining sirens rising and falling to more close-mic'd fingernail-on-chalkboard scrapes as clouded undertones gather on the horizon, floating in baited, whispery, anticipation before, without so much as a fetchez la vache, "Jesus Chri-" BELCH! BLURGH! BLECH! CHUGGA-BleeaAAARGH! This is it. The real, fat, flatulent, deal. The harsh. It comes, in intense, sporadic, blurts. Belches. Sphinctal bursts of noxious joy. Principally lower-register wind breakage, but not infrequently seething into piercing upper extremes, metal-tinged sheets of searing glass. So, totally obliterating the dirge harmonics, if only for the duration of each flatal eruption. Call it the most traditional in harshnoise scope, the rectal rippage delivered more on the fly, more  "live" in presentation. This continues for three solid minutes, but is never dimmed by anything less than wide open, three dimensional, acoustic space. Each individual excretal excursion is in itself a fully flushed piece of harsh purity, albeit momentary, fleeting, until the closing forty-five seconds of full out, blurt-till-it-hurt, sphinct-bludgeoning spasmation.

"Ursula's Shield" is the first major rework from Nikita Division. Once again, the differences are striking. Shorter in duration, more densely layered- but never to the point where individual elements are crowded out. Where the original is much readier with the harsh, blasting, electronics, the rework drives the harsh to blunted acoustic pasture, carefully composed arrangements of metal junk more hinting at harshness than ever really getting the noisehead in there. Sweet vocal fragments, female, repeat over a fast panning horde of collapsible scrap-heap clambering, edgings of string and reverb lending dramatic twinge. As vocal fragments fade, the clambering grows more persistent, coming in cresting waves, militant marching, the background an ominous, glowering, down-pitched brood. Sense of striving, for something epic, or revelatory, threatening to shatter the dense orchestral tapestry. But the pressures never defuse, the tension never releases, so to set-up the singular-

"Occam's Razor". One word: explosive. Better: explosives, plural. Continuous, slow-rolling, hard panned explosions, combustions, detonations... lotsa stuff blowin' up. Alternately, junkyard demolition orgy in big ol' trash compactor. This sounds massive. The sources seem principally of the junkmetal variety, but ripple with hefty, bottomed-out, distortions. Densely saturated, but never at the expense of detail, a studied precision and care taken to maximizing the potential weight of impact. In the concussed wake, string-laden swells sound out an almost mournful backdrop, deeply reverberant tones filling out the unexploded spaces. Harsh? Well, harsh more as texture for the velvetine un-harsh, inviting long languid repose in the sumptuous, ambrosial pools of pliant, voluptuous, luxuriance. Flying shards of gut-sluicing shrapnel never felt this good.

"Larry's Scrotum" is the closing ditty, the second Nikita Division rework. As with the other reworks, all the original harsh is gently, if rigorously, extracted, and, with hushed and ceremonial reverence, replaced with a mellower collection of exotic jades, tinkling keys, and somber, fugue-like, strings. The first half of this piece is practically classical chamber music, albeit repeatedly badgered with sufficient burgeonings of distilled crunch to leave Bach spinning in his grave. Halfway point and an intermission of slow-drawn cello, and then the drama. The drama, it is good. Muscular mass of deeply percussive thunder, TNT, crunching in a pernickety panned series of full-bodied fireworks, a strange loop of sweet voiced Ursulas wafting through progressively heightened pitch, low-sunk bunkers bombarded, pummeled, yes this means war, incessant raspy scrapes scouring strings in increasingly intemperate disturbance, abrasions forming, chalkboard fingernails Mr Quine, are you listening to me? the murderous glint, unasking, surging peaks, dense concatenation of diverse and divergent elements, elemental, sound, the sound, listen, listen, you, hole, your holes, yes, no, but never once is control to be sacrificed for the musical offering, The Eternal Golden Braid.

Fake digest version. In a more digestible span of words, I can't say for sure if this edges into one or another category of noise. Without question a superior composition which showcases the potential for so much more within the genre of... music. When I'm forced, simultaneously, to applaud both the gestures toward, and away from, harsh (and raw, for that matter), I can't help but reflect that I am applauding some weird new mutation that could very well suggest certain strains are edging toward <edit> a new pointless subcategory. Or not. Maybe I just need to listen to more Hum Of The Druid.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: online prowler on May 31, 2018, 07:49:21 PMHuman Skin Lanterns: The Human Skin Lantern tapes are both totally different material. The material on both tapes was recorded and mixed at the same time. I made a couple different masters and liked both so that's why there are two versions.

Both versions are so good... If you have one of the two, do yourself a favor and get the other one too!

bitewerksMTB

Kjostad / Ligature  ‎– Overgrown LP (New Forces)- excellent LP of two artists using tape, electronics, field recordings, metals, harsh noise, etc. Both vary in style and sound quite a bit so you get a little bit of everything you could possibly want. On the Kjostad, I prefer when it all turns into heavy, harsh noise but Ligature is the winner for my tastes. He uses spoken word (male & female), creepy loops, metal banging, water, & some incredible heavy, static noise. Both artists turned in top notch work for this split. Definitely recommended!

DSOL

Black State - Hlose - one of my favorite releases from last year, kept it on repeat all day today. pure filth.

Peterson

K9 Cognition Labs s/t CS (The Gift of Music, 2018)
        Unabashedly one of my favorite impulse purchases of the year so far. Basically an all-star lineup of gutter-level noise freaks such as Team Boro's honcho, the man behind Legless, the enigmatic S. Skinner, and some other handsome and charming chaps I'm not familiar with. Thirty minutes/four pieces of collaged, hyperactive noise with some odd details that brings about the inevitable MSNP comparison, but not undeservingly: this stuff really has that manic, overjoyed Stella editing style. Apparently computer sounds and mixing (courtesy of one Jon Valdez) played a huge role, which is only really given away through some of the sections which seem a bit too compressed – hate to say it, but I bet the original .WAVs or whatever sound killer and really dynamic where this is just pretty damn good, subdued by a little flatness. I really like this kinda stuff; not full-on rippin' harsh noise but should appeal to the enthusiasts and devotees alike. Comes in this educational-tape style blister pack with an info card that features the peanut gallery and boasts a cool layout that reminds me of both '80s Marvel comics and perhaps '90s Japanese noise labels, if you, ah, like that kinda stuff.

Astor s/t CS, "Inland" & "Alcor" Bandcamp downloads (Penultimate Press, 2017; Kye, 2015-2016)
        Extremely serene, immersive sound collage/musique concrete from M. Harwood, the Penultimate Press honcho. Some of the most beautiful and engaging (non) music I've ever heard, no hyperbole whatsoever. Seems to take conscious cues from Ultra, Organum, and NWW; considering some of the uploads on Harwood's YouTube channel, but mostly sticks to its own world of sound which is neither contrived nor forced, with elements of contemporary classical seeping in, though never enough to traipse into dreaded ambient or post-rock territory.
              We get field recordings, gongs, sound debris, water, swells of near-melodic tonality, and occasional acoustic instrumentation; always with a sharp, crystal-clear sound that seems to rely on sound itself more often than effects, but always uses it wisely when leaning more toward processing. The LPs would probably appeal more to a wider audience (I think they've been mentioned in The Wire, so there's that) but the self-titled cassette is more firmly in the weird and tense zone, seems a bit less "composed," and features an interpolation of a recognizeable Pink Floyd classic that is not at all out-of-place. I've been listening to these religiously as I have several Mark Groves-related projects. Dunno what's up with those Aussies named Mark. Because of what these guys do, I will never need to settle for synth droning new agey bullshit or post-rock sameyness ever again.

Mercury Hall "Trampoline" CS (Second Sleep, 2018)
        Pretty under-the-radar C60 from Mercury Hall, a project I feel both appeals to a very specific niche audience yet is simultaneously underrated due to having a potentially very wide appeal if only there were more exposure. To me, this guy's doing stuff that's easily as good as the French snooty musique concrete legends. That aside, even fanboys like me might not go crazy about this tape, as it's just a lengthy collection of (95%) unprocessed cell phone field recordings taken over the course of several years. It gets repetitive at times, but this kind of thing is really up my alley, as it seems like you basically get a sampler of the types of sounds which comprised the previous releases as-is. Given a great deal personal skill and a couple of tape machines of various types, you could theoretically make your own MH release, but not many folks are as talented as Matteo Castro is. Overall mostly very relaxing, even pastoral, but with some unsettling sections which function more or less as crescendos. Perfect, definitive sound collage even if there is next to zero layering.

Ultra "Lifestyle" CD (The Ajna Offensive, 2000)
        I hate to admit it, but I know why folks tend to prefer the first incarnation of Ultra. Although I'm still very much a fan of the later lineup, the subdued malevolence isn't paired with the bizarre exuberance that characterized the earlier albums. Lifestyle very much lacks that enthusiasm and weirdness, despite having the engaging and sinister Ultra atmosphere. Here, without the greater variety of the earlier releases, we see some oddly out-of-place gaffes on tracks like "Gestures and Formations," which has a guitar part that I wouldn't hesitate to describe as sounding like an outtake from Master of Puppets. That was perhaps the first time I've ever listened to this band and felt embarassed. I find it pretty funny that Christoph Heemann has such animosity toward the group despite his time spent in it, given his contributions were significant in making it what it was in their classic years.
          On "Lifestyle," we however do get a collection of more droning, ambient-like pieces that sit alongside tracks like Malaria, Yohimbe, and Wad 1, but never quite reach the totally absorptive lugubriousness of pieces like Whistle For Your Mistress, Wad 2, or Aff. Worth picking up for completists, but mostly lacking vocals and dynamics, it can't be anything close to Youthful Pleasures or Zoll. Overall, not useless, but has a similar effect of comparing classic Sutcliffe Jugend to their recent material in terms of expectations.

urall

Quote from: Force Neurotic on June 05, 2018, 06:32:36 AM

Pretty under-the-radar C60 from Mercury Hall, a project I feel both appeals to a very specific niche audience yet is simultaneously underrated due to having a potentially very wide appeal if only there were more exposure. To me, this guy's doing stuff that's easily as good as the French snooty musique concrete legends. That aside, even fanboys like me might not go crazy about this tape, as it's just a lengthy collection of (95%) unprocessed cell phone field recordings taken over the course of several years. It gets repetitive at times, but this kind of thing is really up my alley, as it seems like you basically get a sampler of the types of sounds which comprised the previous releases as-is. Given a great deal personal skill and a couple of tape machines of various types, you could theoretically make your own MH release, but not many folks are as talented as Matteo Castro is. Overall mostly very relaxing, even pastoral, but with some unsettling sections which function more or less as crescendos. Perfect, definitive sound collage even if there is next to zero layering.

I'm a MH fan, but never picked this up as the description about the phone recordings never appealed to me. But maybe he has a better phone than me.. ?  :)

Peterson

Quote from: urall on June 05, 2018, 10:44:28 AM
Quote from: Force Neurotic on June 05, 2018, 06:32:36 AM

I'm a MH fan, but never picked this up as the description about the phone recordings never appealed to me. But maybe he has a better phone than me.. ?  :)

Haha, maybe so, but IMHO still a good tape. Doesn't have that thin, flat quality at all. Samples on the Second Sleep website sound pretty good but hide the best moments.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 02, 2018, 08:19:15 PM
Kjostad / Ligature  ‎– Overgrown LP (New Forces)- excellent LP of two artists using tape, electronics, field recordings, metals, harsh noise, etc. Both vary in style and sound quite a bit so you get a little bit of everything you could possibly want. On the Kjostad, I prefer when it all turns into heavy, harsh noise but Ligature is the winner for my tastes. He uses spoken word (male & female), creepy loops, metal banging, water, & some incredible heavy, static noise. Both artists turned in top notch work for this split. Definitely recommended!

Definitely agreed! I've been giving the ears a lot of Ligature recently and it's all top notch imo. I like that the project seems to be retaining the brooding atmosphere of the earlier work while cutting a direct line through the rougher climes of hn proper. To my ear it keeps getting better, but in any case I'd say the game was really upped for this split. Ditto Kjostad, though I'm afraid I'm a tad late to the party in this case- a glaring omission to be corrected in short order! Reminds me, need to cop that new Breaking The Will...
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag