PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monotome

AMERICANOISE compilation CD 1 (Mother Savage Noise, Audio Dissection)
First time hearing the mighty AMERICANOISE compilation, and it's pretty okay. The overall sound is a bit dullish, but that can be expected from a cassette to cd transfer. Some good sounds from Skin Crime, Taint, Mother Savage and especially the track from Stimbox is a real pleasure, painfully high rushing frequencies, harsh stuff. Not familiar with any of his noises, so time to check some out. I do think the track from Namanax track could've been omitted, to bland and doesn't fit with the others.

bitewerksMTB

Jonathan Briley "The Loss of Innocence" tape (Broken Flag)- I've had this for 20 years or more & figured it was just a dub but the blue cover is card stock. Not sure anyone would go to the trouble of Xeroxing card stock just for a dub...? (I think it came from the guy who was part of Artware. Seems like he passed away?) Anyway, this is killer work. Falls in a weird category that is sort of PE but never gets overly heavy or noisy (this is one track that is pretty noisy with junk metal abuse) but it's never really laid back or too ambient. Briley uses synthesizers, percussion (metals, cymbals, drums), tapes (creepy cut-up & loops), & does some very dramatic, spoken-style vocals. I looked this up in the BF article in ALAP & it would seem JB has no interest in his past as he has found Buddhism...

Also, I found downloads of 3 more of his tapes & have listened to most of "Darker Profits", which, is his debut & it's very good. It's a damn shame this work will never get a proper reissue.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Theodore on May 04, 2018, 10:04:08 PMScum FC - Compensation Culture : My first exposure to Scum FC. Eh, i need some time and more listens to digest this ! First notice is this thing has personality. Out of the ordinary. It's full of samples from TV / radio and i was thinking "i shouldn't like this" but i think i did. And then comes Side B. Total madness ! To me this release has more in common with noisecore than with PE or noise. After the initial "what is this" question, i had a smile on my face all the time during and after the tape was finished. I think i ll love it. If i don't love it already. What is love ? Baby, do hurt me, more, more. Why i am singing, writing this shit ? Need some water on my face.

Hail Scum FC!

Frataxin

Zyklon SS-Spectacle of the Triumph (Der Bünker): I honestly can't sing the praises of this one highly enough. Both ZSS live CDs are fantastic, but this is definitely my favorite of the two. Unstoppable early Dando edge to it with lyricism and delivery influenced by NON (I'd say the Boyd Rice influence rings through the most clearly on the track Matthias, which is probably my favorite track on the album.) There's definitely a hint of Brethren influence too on tracks like It Could Happen To You. Pure fucking anger, plain and simple, and not afraid to be as painfully straightforward as possible. Really fantastic. Not to be missed. (Also, for a live recording, the audio fidelity is pretty incredible.)

bitewerksMTB

HIMUKALT "Knife Through the Spine" LP (Malignant Records)- the title says it all. There's some nasty stuff going on here especially the distorted, phaser vocals. Kinda reminds me of what goes on over at Galakthorroe especially Subliminal.  Nice editing, kind of minimal as there is no heavy layering. Nice static, crackling & moaning that sounds great on vinyl. Worth checking out (esp. if you're already a fan of the previous releases).

JONATHAN BRILEY "At the Mountains of Madness"- incomplete rip, missing some tracks but goddamn is this work good! Briley seem to have combined what was going on in the UK and Italy then added his own touches for heavy, atmospheric industrial/PE.

If anyone owns JB tapes they'd sell, let me know! Or if you have complete rips of his tapes, PM me.

"Rape the men and slaughter the women!"

Bloated Slutbag

Ahlzdeveloper ‎– Ahlzdeveloper cd
Took me a while to work up the nerve to comment on this. With this kind of cut up stuff, this... hyper-spasmic spine-jerking neck-twisting bung-ripping... I'm exhausted before the first word hits the page. I'm exhausted before I press the play button. I'm exhausted before I peel off the fucking shrinkwrap. The simple aim: go in, harrd, explore the incisive, sphinctpipe-rending texture of slice, rip, stab. The ignoble end: come out sounding like spastic gibbering mess. Commentators with a more advanced sense of decorum might suggest a certain remove. Peel back the preferred orifices and just... let the massive raging horde thunder on through. Thing is, with an approach like that I might as well be fellating HNW. Or ambient drone. Cue the spastic gibbering mess.
   Ahlzdeveloper. Pretty much like you'd expect. Only better. The big disc collects the entire output of Ahlzagailzehguh + Developer, as previously spread over two tapes and two comp appearances. Ahzlagailzehguh molests Developer on three tracks, Developer does likewise the other three. It's an hour long and I am beaten before I start. Roll the mess.
   Fat mess of sounds, scrunched in tight. Finely detailed, strategically shredded, never repeating, ever jerking twitching lurching. Smoldering smorgasbord of epilepsy, raw, mangled, flatulent meat-chunks flapping about, blood spraying everywhere. Wild, ragged. Shades of vicious virtuosity. Acoustic darts unleashed and zipping zapping slamming smacking. Storms of whitehot nails, screeching in rage-raped blistered scorchout. Rough-hewn wack of broken, frayed-edged shards, glimmering glittering dys-symmetry, frantically cobbled together off the rust-flecked fly-hook. Jerrrrrrrrrrrk.
   Tracks 1 & 2, ten minutes apiece, from a Factotum tape dated July 2014. 1 has Ahlzagail manhandling Developer to supreme effect, by far the strongest track of the set. Frenzied full-in-body hyper-smasmation, panned harrd as almighty frig, taking that body and doing unholy violence to kingdom ruin. Exceedingly harsh in pointed precisions, metallic slashings betraying only the barest smidgens of acoustic depth, the squealing scorch-array pretty much full on the full way through. Full, then, to the brim, and at the eight-or-so-minute-mark the massive shriekwad runs rampant, frenzied full-in-body hyper-smasmation entering the puritanical scorchzone, unloading two solid minutes of near solid state oblivion, noise nightmare first order bar none. 2, Developer fondling Ahlzagail, rages out the gate with the same breakneck breathlessness, the same commitment to full field saturation. This time the bare smidgens of acoustic depth are slathered over with scorchwads of never-to-relent scathe-squeal, very little space for even the teeniest of gasp for air, treading the twilit spaces in between two and three dimensions. There is, perhaps, at the ninth minute a slight slowing as the harsh notches are turned progressively upward, going out with fully saturated pressures tweaked to the highest, scorchingest, order.
   Tracks 3 & 4, fifteen minutes each, courtesy Collapsed Hole, August 2015. A good amount more space accorded the individual hackings and slashings. Good intervals in which to catch a moment's breath, try to regain bearings. With 3, Ahlzagail (mangling Developer) seems to be working through a series of very short tracks, aiming at that most severe of extremities onto which to pitch a battered junkpile of gritted scrunch-seethe. Sputtering midrange electronic dribblings set off much more robust streakings of high-end shriek. At the five-minute mark movement hurtles onto more experimental, exploratory terrain, live-in-yr-holes working through of pinpoint split n chisel, focused on degraded dips into unsubtle nuance and tension. In the closing minutes, momentum picks up via ever-more-thinly sliced layers in continuous shift and shuffle, but with nothing to latch onto, attention is left in a precarious non-balance of floundering dis-array, careening ass-first toward one false jerk-hook after another. 4, Developer (mangling Ahlzagail is even more open to the exploratory urge. And silence. Acoustic junk-sources eat up a good chunk of the field, tripping headlong into empty trashcans, shot through with reams of white-hot blasting rippage. Less the tension-building study in nuance more herked and jerked stagger from one uneven strip-mined source to the next. There are even a few very Developer-esque moments where one feels as though attention is to be held suspended in cruel and listless punishment before freak-out fits of cascading turbulence set up the scene of the grand freaking-out finale.
   Track 5, another Ahlz diddles Developer ditty, comparatively brief, finds full-up r-l scorchage hard panned to the brink.  Unstoppable, unsettled jerked-out mess of smash slash bash crash. High-end scorchlery the whole way through, jittery, panicky, nail-biting neck-jerk epilepsy twitching in froth-mouthed sympathies, maxed out on flatulent percussive assault textures, even without the fragmented splicings of machinegun drumkit bopping about. No breaks here, or one continuous string of tightly regulated percussive breaks, I am spastic gibbering mess see me spew, if the Developer diddled ditty gonna compete here gonna hafta be good.
   Track 6, Developer diddling Ahlz, opts for all-out, densely saturated, scorch-bliss. Going out, in other words, with one hell of a bang. The shortest track of the set and perhaps best suited to this style of sound smithying. Dense, harsh, in constant motion, never once devolving into breaks for exploration, just ramming severely pitched masses of metal-tinged saturation, repeatedly, on through. Seeming stops for breath are merely excuses to up the harsh ante. In the field, of hyper-spasmic spine-jerking neck-twisting bung-ripping... the case for so much potential is quite convincingly made. Of relent, we will be having none today. And yes, good.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 10, 2018, 04:59:07 AM
HIMUKALT "Knife Through the Spine" LP (Malignant Records)- the title says it all. There's some nasty stuff going on here especially the distorted, phaser vocals. Kinda reminds me of what goes on over at Galakthorroe especially Subliminal.  Nice editing, kind of minimal as there is no heavy layering. Nice static, crackling & moaning that sounds great on vinyl. Worth checking out (esp. if you're already a fan of the previous releases).
Great stuff.  Pretty safe to say it will make my "best of 2018" list.  They do a lot of little things I like a whole lot, and even some things I don't usually like, I like how they do them.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

ZYKLON SS "Spectacle of the triumph" CD
Der Bunker
Good live CD. As CD, this works better than live situation if you ask me. Live gig, being 45 minutes long, with long repetitive tracks, where vocals is pretty much only active element, was too much for bar corner. Shorter set or shorter more compact tracks would have worked out. Now, on CD, it feels like good heavy electronics album. More variation within track could be good. Or shorter tracks, yet also minimal progression and focus on clear and easily recognized key elements of track works well. Tracks know from new 10" work out as live versions very nicely. Vocals are very good here. Notch too loud in mix, yet very good!

MAYUKO HINO "Lonisolar" CD
Cold Spring
I was expecting this could be poor. What I expected was, that we'll have line-in electronics, fooling around with theremin or such. And, in some ways, that's not so far from reality. Yet, this is not bad. I don't quite agree with Cold Spring's unrelenting, piercing electronics, densely layered noise, intense, ferocious, claustrophobic description. To me it's more laid back, relaxing and smoothy type of stuff. You got sort of digital sounding oscillations with reverbing sound, even ritual music type bell sounds. Second track has fast oscillating high pitched stuff. Rather than ferocious or intense, nor densely layered, it's rather two layers of slowly shifting buzzing of electronics. Of course nowhere as good as CCCC at its best, yet thinking if this material was blasted via amplifiers and PA and captured on live situation like many CCCC was, 2nd track would be surprisingly close to some of CCCC's works? Similar psychedelic and slow motion blur can be heard.

SSRI "Ritual Workings" CD
Filth & Violence
This compiles together two tapes. Stab Your Demonic Smile To My Brain! and Focalor. They fit well together, maybe because of versatile nature of each release. All the six tracks here, totalling 60 minutes, are quite different from eachother. Sometimes the rotten, yet structured feel, close to Sick Seed, occasionally frenzy of ultra ripping noise with high pitched screaming. Sound quality is SSRI style - snotty, rusty, lo-fi, broken. In tasty way. Mixing together various levels of decay of sound, and playing more with this specific sound of object or gadget, than editing, cleaning or making it fat and loud. Rather just keep it raw and broken. To me, these belong to better materials of SSRI.
Not too fond of cover artwork. Comical approach, especially back covers somehow computer game'ish feel to it.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

WCN

WORTH - Blood Possessed CDr (Prose Nagge)
Breath-taking, hypersalivating masterpiece of Baconesque noise. Structurally more narrative and less layered than the Blinder LP, also more revolting - drawn out slime passages, alcoholic dreams, insidious ugly musicality, compulsive tapping, blood poisoning, soiled sterility. Worth is making very important harsh noise, and this album may be the pinnacle thus far. Yes it's a CDr but who fucking cares.
Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

Baglady

Yes. A ripper, to say the least. And a properly made CDr, well worth the €$£. My favorite WORTH this far.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 10, 2018, 04:37:18 PM
Ahlzdeveloper ‎– Ahlzdeveloper cd
Took me a while to work up the nerve to comment on this. With this kind of cut up stuff, this... hyper-spasmic spine-jerking neck-twisting bung-ripping... I'm exhausted before the first word hits the page. I'm exhausted before I press the play button. I'm exhausted before I peel off the fucking shrinkwrap. The simple aim: go in, harrd, explore the incisive, sphinctpipe-rending texture of slice, rip, stab. The ignoble end: come out sounding like spastic gibbering mess

Goodness gracious, no kidding. My sincere apologies to anyone who actually made an attempt at reading beyond the above quoted. I think I need to start appending a digest version; eg what one might actually digest without eyes automatically glazing over.

Here goes, take duh.

Ahlzdeveloper – Ahlzdeveloper cd
High-end cut-up electronics meet sharply pointed metal junk stabbing attack, unhinged, unbalanced, taken to the logical end. Continuous spastic diddling, very few breaks in pacing, occupying the upper registers for the full one-hour course. The pacing: fast. But there are several- innumerable-  moments aimed at throwing attention off balance. One moment we are dragged into a quaint and quiet corner, teensy weensy acoustic inflection betraying the slightest gasp for respite. The next, raging white-wash of screeching holy hell. Not to mention several moments in between. But does it work? For me a single word applies: momentum. Propelled pushed prodded forward, whether one likes it or not, but one does like it, a lot, particularly one who appreciates the principle of harsh blistering cut-up spastics in constant motion. No rhyme nor reason. Just good n ripping harsh purity. Cut. The Fuck. Up.

Ah, to hell with it. Spastic gibbering mess, is me. For life.
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

I posted a link to this in the terminally ill-advised  "swamp music" topic, but out of guilt decided the project needed more comment.

Bryan Lewis Saunders – Near Death Experience
A capella power electronics. Does it exist? It does now. Emo a capella power electronics. This chap is way too articulate, intelligent, to hang with pe thug contingent. But maybe he could hang with the pe emo contingent. (Or Wm Bennet. Or Sotos. Or my dick.) If it exists. (I'm telling you, boy, my dick exists. Get on it!) Consider the last  Con-Dom record. Or don't, see if I care. Point is, this guy delivers power, POWER, POWER - without electronics- singularly with his vocal chords. Not just the vocal chords, of course, but the things he has to say. Knowledge is power. The word is power. Power in the word, long long long before there were electronics. Incidentally, if you give a shit, there are electronics, but they are incidental. The best bits are completely without that stupid electronic stuff holding the voice, and what it has to say, back. I am in love with this guy, with the Voice, with everything it, emphatically is, ripping into my aural passages. If people feel compelled to jizz it up with electronics, more power to em. All I want is the voice. Ripping me, the world, the universe, a new asshole. Because it can.
And take you for a drag

XXX

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 12, 2018, 06:06:58 PM
I posted a link to this in the terminally ill-advised  "swamp music" topic, but out of guilt decided the project needed more comment.

A capella power electronics. Does it exist? It does now. Emo a capella power electronics. This chap is way too articulate, intelligent, to hang with pe thug contingent. But maybe he could hang with the pe emo contingent. (Or Wm Bennet. Or Sotos. Or my dick.) If it exists. (I'm telling you, boy, my dick exists. Get on it!) Consider the last  Con-Dom record. Or don't, see if I care. Point is, this guy delivers power, POWER, POWER - without electronics- singularly with his vocal chords. Not just the vocal chords, of course, but the things he has to say. Knowledge is power. The word is power. Power in the word, long long long before there were electronics. Incidentally, if you give a shit, there are electronics, but they are incidental. The best bits are completely without that stupid electronic stuff holding the voice, and what it has to say, back. I am in love with this guy, with the Voice, with everything it, emphatically is, ripping into my aural passages. If people feel compelled to jizz it up with electronics, more power to em. All I want is the voice. Ripping me, the world, the universe, a new asshole. Because it can.

saw him live a couple times. he says what he does is "stand up tragedy"

spiritassembly

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 12, 2018, 06:06:58 PM

Bryan is totally inspirational.

This would have been pretty amazing to witness:
http://bryanlewissaunders.org/weblog/2014/oct/23/under-influence-torture/

Theodore

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 12, 2018, 05:16:52 PM
Goodness gracious, no kidding. My sincere apologies to anyone who actually made an attempt at reading beyond the above quoted. I think I need to start appending a digest version; eg what one might actually digest without eyes automatically glazing over.

No, keep writing long. Just if you can please after 4-6 lines leave an empty line and change paragraph. Don't know if it's just me but i struggle to focus to read the right line in big compact texts when i am reading on the PC screen. Generally.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"