PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: andy vomit on April 13, 2018, 06:03:57 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 13, 2018, 05:27:32 PM

I feel like I heard at some point recently that Sektor 304 split up? can anyone confirm or deny cause that'd be a goddamn shame. when I reach for modern industrial it's either this or Ke/Hil.

that is correct - andre coelho is doing Beyond Enclosure now. really good, but different from Sektor 304.
https://malignantrecs.bandcamp.com/album/dungeon-of-total-void

Thanks for the info. Still a bummer but at least I've got something new to check out. I wonder why they called it quits?
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Theodore

Was listening The Cherry Point - Smog City tape. Explosive material ! Deck's meters on +8dB, speakers spit flames of highest quality noise. You can't play it just once. Demands repeat. Was that gaidas playing buried down ? Probably hallucinations ...

Someone -i guess Phil himself- , somewhen, must gather the best of all these numerous splits, CDRs, and organize the chaos a little bit with one more proper compilation.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Baglady

Quote from: Theodore on April 14, 2018, 01:52:13 PM
Was listening The Cherry Point - Smog City tape. Explosive material ! Deck's meters on +8dB, speakers spit flames of highest quality noise.
Along with THE RITA - Magazine, this is my favorite 00's wall style harsh noise recordings. Or actually one of my favorite harsh noise recordings in general. The point on side B when the whole thing starts falling apart gives me goosebumps every time. Perfect cassette.

New Forces

Quote from: Theodore on April 14, 2018, 01:52:13 PM
Was listening The Cherry Point - Smog City tape. Explosive material ! Deck's meters on +8dB, speakers spit flames of highest quality noise. You can't play it just once. Demands repeat. Was that gaidas playing buried down ? Probably hallucinations ...

Someone -i guess Phil himself- , somewhen, must gather the best of all these numerous splits, CDRs, and organize the chaos a little bit with one more proper compilation.

Cherry Point "Night of the Bloody Tapes" CD contains a lot of the material from those splits and elsewhere... one of my favorites
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

Yrjö-Koskinen

DISCORDANCE - Supremacy
Digging about in the CD collection, I found this little gem that I bought X years ago when buying up a batch of tapes and CD's from a defunct distro. Never really gave it much attention, but I believe it's been mentioned earlier in this thread. Power electronics with a strong harsh noise touch - there are no German bass lines or borderline rhythmic oscillations here. In fact, when the heavily distorted vocals first burst in they almost sounded offputting, since the overall sound made me expect either "instrumental" noise or hysterical japanoise screaming. It doesn't take long to get with the program, though, and simply enjoy the ever-developing, harsh insanity and its conflict-filled but productive marriage with sparse, bubbling Power Electronics shouting. Not entirely even; there are better tracks (like the opener) and some less inspired ones (like "Cycle"), but which ones are which, or if the problem even exists, is probably highly subjective. The inlay is nice and stylish, and for some reason (500 copy limitation?) this remains extremely affordable. Mint copies are about ten Eurosmackaroonies on Discogs, and if you don't mind a small crease or two they go for virtually nothing. Somewhat overlooked, it would seem.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Peterson

Athletics Crew s/t C20 (Harmony, 2018)
Athletics Cew mixtape (Harmony, 2018)

Kind of strange to think this stuff is by the guy also known for the From Nothing To Nothing tape on Vanity Recordings – that's some of the most dismal and negative PE I've ever heard while this is positive, energetic, life affirming noise-industrial-experimental with no fear of being sillly. On the self-titled tape, A-side, we get high-end, reverb-soaked harsh noise with a forward propulsion kinda like stuff by Milos Olympus. The B-side is more like something Rodger Stella or Violent Onsen Geisha might do; noise with a dub/hip-hop feel. Seems to be different drum machine patterns, beat samples, and a couple other vocal/musical samples chopped up with a looper of some kind and splashed with reverb. Weird, stuff that I would usually hate but I find this refreshing in that sometimes you need something less serious. I can recommend this to Stoa only.
        Mixtape side A is even more strange, being some kind of sub-industrial electronics wonk alongside some very strange monologue/recitation samples with tape-warped samples of some kind of religious or political procession – or possibly some kind of sports game – underneath, but too damaged to make out. Eventually some undefineable traditional music seeps in, too. This is pretty killer in that there is no real atmosphere other than "file under: weird." Perhaps a bit meandering and doesn't venture much, but nice in that it has that challenge of "what the fuck" but that of course makes it all the more compelling. Sort of has that "traveler" vibe like some of the stuff that's come out on Korea Undok Group. Side B is less thrilling, swirling and whooshing harsh noise with a reverb-y industrial tone, not that great. Appears to have some acoustic background sounds that I think should have been emphasized instead of the wall of noise. I do admire the audacity of putting such disparate material on either side, though. Recommended for those who view tapes as kind of audio tourism.

Destroy Date "Inner Dialogue" CS (Love Earth Music, 2013)
        Apparently a "collective" project most often involving Steve Davis of +DOG+ with a revolving host of others, including known and unknown names. You wouldn't think, however, considering this comes off as one guy's collection of audio refuse. This is the sort of thing you can tell was interesting to record and listen to for the people involved, but for as at home, not so much. One part is a recording of what is, according to the liner notes, some kind of kids' beauty pageant, another section is obviously from some telemarketing company. It's interesting to read the liner notes about the personal significance of these recordings, but not to actually listen to them. Some parts are actually unlistenable such as a pointless drum machine beat for several minutes or the first thirteen fucking minutes being a radio station sample tape with countdowns and then five seconds of every annoying radio song you can think of. Challenging only in the sense of "can you keep from fast-forwarding?" Minus a thousand points for making mention of twelve-step groups in the booklet.

Hand & Knee "Sheltering" CS (Submersive Productions, 2017)
        Really nice and atmospheric but crude mix of subtle, tape-saturated electronics (10%) and various field recordings of outdoor and some indoor sounds (90%), not unlike early Arv & Miljo, Ashpa, Blodvite, Flysch, Zone Nord etc. Very "Swedish" vibes with the austerity one would expect. Hard to elaborate on such simplicity but if you're interested, you'll probably like it.  Recommended for those who like that sort of thing. Probably my favorite release from this project despite there being not much to it. Somewhat haunting and eerie – suffers from "meandering syndrome" a bit because it sounds pretty much unedited, but still listenable 95% of the time. I could easily see an edited version of this coming out on a label like No Rent or even Kye, if it was remixed and mastered by someone with that kind of techie background.

NIT "Clear" CS (self-released, 2018)
        Although a bit more raw and differing in certain tracks than the demos I heard, this is perhaps even better than the first NIT tape. Really strong, high-fidelity power electronics with a very tense, refined edge. In terms of sound, this has more in common with Iron Fist Of The Sun, more recent Koufar, or later Whitehouse than the raw or melancholic stuff coming out today. Song structure is both aggressive and brooding, as most PE should be. Still can't quite make out the lyrics due to heavy effects processing (multiple styles each track which is always a good thing), so the delivery is not unlike certain Slogun or the above-mentioned IFOTS. Manic Panic hair dye font used for the logo is a nice touch, too. I can very much see folks into the more current Unrest roster liking this, although it's miles away from "heavy electronics."

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Force Neurotic on April 16, 2018, 09:31:39 PM
Athletics Crew s/t C20 (Harmony, 2018)
Athletics Cew mixtape (Harmony, 2018)

Kind of strange to think this stuff is by the guy also known for the From Nothing To Nothing tape on Vanity Recordings – that's some of the most dismal and negative PE I've ever heard while this is positive, energetic, life affirming noise-industrial-experimental with no fear of being sillly. On the self-titled tape, A-side, we get high-end, reverb-soaked harsh noise with a forward propulsion kinda like stuff by Milos Olympus. The B-side is more like something Rodger Stella or Violent Onsen Geisha might do; noise with a dub/hip-hop feel. Seems to be different drum machine patterns, beat samples, and a couple other vocal/musical samples chopped up with a looper of some kind and splashed with reverb. Weird, stuff that I would usually hate but I find this refreshing in that sometimes you need something less serious. I can recommend this to Stoa only.
        Mixtape side A is even more strange, being some kind of sub-industrial electronics wonk alongside some very strange monologue/recitation samples with tape-warped samples of some kind of religious or political procession – or possibly some kind of sports game – underneath, but too damaged to make out. Eventually some undefineable traditional music seeps in, too. This is pretty killer in that there is no real atmosphere other than "file under: weird." Perhaps a bit meandering and doesn't venture much, but nice in that it has that challenge of "what the fuck" but that of course makes it all the more compelling. Sort of has that "traveler" vibe like some of the stuff that's come out on Korea Undok Group. Side B is less thrilling, swirling and whooshing harsh noise with a reverb-y industrial tone, not that great. Appears to have some acoustic background sounds that I think should have been emphasized instead of the wall of noise. I do admire the audacity of putting such disparate material on either side, though. Recommended for those who view tapes as kind of audio tourism.

Destroy Date "Inner Dialogue" CS (Love Earth Music, 2013)
        Apparently a "collective" project most often involving Steve Davis of +DOG+ with a revolving host of others, including known and unknown names. You wouldn't think, however, considering this comes off as one guy's collection of audio refuse. This is the sort of thing you can tell was interesting to record and listen to for the people involved, but for as at home, not so much. One part is a recording of what is, according to the liner notes, some kind of kids' beauty pageant, another section is obviously from some telemarketing company. It's interesting to read the liner notes about the personal significance of these recordings, but not to actually listen to them. Some parts are actually unlistenable such as a pointless drum machine beat for several minutes or the first thirteen fucking minutes being a radio station sample tape with countdowns and then five seconds of every annoying radio song you can think of. Challenging only in the sense of "can you keep from fast-forwarding?" Minus a thousand points for making mention of twelve-step groups in the booklet.

Hand & Knee "Sheltering" CS (Submersive Productions, 2017)
        Really nice and atmospheric but crude mix of subtle, tape-saturated electronics (10%) and various field recordings of outdoor and some indoor sounds (90%), not unlike early Arv & Miljo, Ashpa, Blodvite, Flysch, Zone Nord etc. Very "Swedish" vibes with the austerity one would expect. Hard to elaborate on such simplicity but if you're interested, you'll probably like it.  Recommended for those who like that sort of thing. Probably my favorite release from this project despite there being not much to it. Somewhat haunting and eerie – suffers from "meandering syndrome" a bit because it sounds pretty much unedited, but still listenable 95% of the time. I could easily see an edited version of this coming out on a label like No Rent or even Kye, if it was remixed and mastered by someone with that kind of techie background.

NIT "Clear" CS (self-released, 2018)
        Although a bit more raw and differing in certain tracks than the demos I heard, this is perhaps even better than the first NIT tape. Really strong, high-fidelity power electronics with a very tense, refined edge. In terms of sound, this has more in common with Iron Fist Of The Sun, more recent Koufar, or later Whitehouse than the raw or melancholic stuff coming out today. Song structure is both aggressive and brooding, as most PE should be. Still can't quite make out the lyrics due to heavy effects processing (multiple styles each track which is always a good thing), so the delivery is not unlike certain Slogun or the above-mentioned IFOTS. Manic Panic hair dye font used for the logo is a nice touch, too. I can very much see folks into the more current Unrest roster liking this, although it's miles away from "heavy electronics."

J., I appreciate your regular thoughtful and lengthy reviews. You review a lot of stuff I probably wouldn't be into, but it's good to know somebody is out there listening and giving it some thought. Keep it up!

Excited to receive and hear my own copy of the Athletics Crew tapes. Walter has sent me a lot of interesting material in the past year in a half. Always evolving, always something unexpected. It was really a feather in my cap to put out the "From Nothing To Nothing" tape. Such supreme negativity to my ears. But he's got a lot more to offer than just that! An artist to watch for sure.

personally listening to:
Encephalophonic -  疾患電子工学 cassette - Audio Dissection - picked this up in 2016 at Sarvilevyt and it took me a long time to listen to it. didn't click on the first go a year or so back but recently revisited it and now I can't get it out of my tape deck. Excellent cut-up harsh noise with occasional strange bit between the blasting. most notably the acoustic guitar on side two. i love the little detours as they add contrast for the heavy parts. dig the b-side a bit more than the a-side, but it's all good shit.

Encephalophonic - Exhuming the Perversion 2xCD - Industrial Recollections -  疾患電子工学 piqued my interest so I had to pick this one up from the new FA batch. Only made it through the first disc so far. the cuts aren't as fast and the assault isn't quite as balls out but it's still solid material. again, I find the b-side tracks to be more to my taste, especially the parts with untreated (?) metal abuse. only had one listen though so I'll need more time to digest. got a few more Encephalophonic releases headed my way too so i'm expecting a full overload of razor blade themed harsh noise in the near future.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Peterson

Thanks Frank! I've been encouraged to do a paper review zine, but the money just isn't there, and there's always New Forces, Noise Receptor, Eyestrain, Fordamning, and so on who do it differently but perhaps more efficiently. So I try to compensate by putting some effort in with multiple listens.

Also, to be fair, some of what I check out is more out of curiosity or sheer masochism than full-on excitement, haha.

I dig almost everything Walter's sent me so far but the FNTN tape is just killer PE miserablism. Just because something is super negative doesn't mean it has to be pathetic. This is the kinda thing I'd listen to instead of doing some downer drug.

Honestly, some of your reviews of stuff I'd normally avoid, like techno etc, has prompted me to check stuff out. I also like that you tend to relate stuff in the PE etc genres to other "regular" music.

pentd

VA -- L.A. Noisescape

this one:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-LA-Noisescape/release/778615

dug it out after quite a pause and it kicks ass, a good variety of trainwrecks, some very digi-sounding and others rawer but hey... for those AD/HD moments, heres a rainbow of diarrheas!

parapluie

Where can I pick up the Athletics Crew tapes ? Can't find anything on google. Really liked the FNTN tape too.

FallOfNature

Blackwatch - Blackwatch LP
Nice stuff. Tesco/European PE vein, but from Texas. Huge step up from previous material I heard. Great structures, tracks are to the point. There's a new tape out that I'm yet to hear, and due to my general dislike of "unique" packaging I'm waiting for a bandcamp option. Very much recommend checking out this project.

Lussuria  / Alberich ‎– Borgia LP
Unfamiliar with both artists until now, and I'm impressed. I'm not a follower of Hospital Productions related projects usually and I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. Atmosphere heavy, drones, too engaging to be mere background noise ambient/drone. Some heavier, more intense moments. Well worth the $20 I threw at it.

Strict - Impulsion tape

No words needed.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: FallOfNature on April 19, 2018, 11:13:05 AM

Unfamiliar with both artists until now, and I'm impressed. I'm not a follower of Hospital Productions related projects usually and I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. Atmosphere heavy, drones, too engaging to be mere background noise ambient/drone. Some heavier, more intense moments. Well worth the $20 I threw at it.

No words needed.

Alberich is legit, I started an Alberich/Kris Lapke thread a while ago and was pleased to have turned some folks onto him. Absolutely unrivalled rhythmic industrial in most cases but Borgia is a pleasing exception. I find Hospital in general pretty solid too but I can understand the diversity of the label putting some people off.

Euro Trash Bazooka

Try to check out Alberich's "NATO Uniformen", it's amazing.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

totalblack

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on April 19, 2018, 01:13:42 PM

Try to check out Alberich's "NATO Uniformen", it's amazing.

All of the early Lussuria releases are amazing as well, with "Garden of Seduction" and "American Babylon" being personal highlights, but also worth checking out "Silk & Honey", "Mists Of Our Silence", "Sunken Meadow", and "The Truth Begins In Lies". I haven't spent enough time with the really recent material since I wasn't lucky enough to grab copies.

And although I do think NATO Uniformen is great - I think that "Of Man, Of Genious" \ "Fall Where They Would" \ "Turned Back" tapes are more 'solid' due to their shorter lengths, and the "Psychology Of Love" LP was where I personally started and got hooked.

STROM.ec ‎– Electric Current LP - Fantastic compilation of tracks from this Finnish unit. Had listened to their stuff here and there over the last decade or so but never was entirely hooked. This compilation remedied this from the get-go. Starts off with a punch, really great sequencing of tracks, good balance of rhythmic and more noisy material.

Wonderland Club - Pageant CS - Packaging on this one is fantastic. First side was a bit of a slow builder and will need to take another listen to this one as I was working on some projects while listening, but the B-side immediately starts off with a fucking punch. Top quality material from one of the only worthwhile active American PE acts. Hasn't been since True Force/Pain Electronics was still active that I've felt this excited about new material in this genre coming out of North America.

Theodore

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on April 19, 2018, 12:04:38 PM
I find Hospital in general pretty solid too but I can understand the diversity of the label putting some people off.

Noone can really complain about Hospital. Yes they release variety of material but they haven't abandoned noise. They do their "duty" and keep delivering. For example this is from their latest newsletter :

QuoteComing soon...

Ames Sanglantes - Chindia Tower Impalements - 3xcd

K2 - The Rust - 2xLP

Linekraft - LP - TBA

Smell & Quim - TBA

Incapacitants - TBA

and tons more noise for this failing world...
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"