PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Phroq - Static Walls 2005 - minimalist, teeth-hurting, ambient noise - I hear, or rather maybe feel, similarities with Merzbow + John Wiese "Multiplication" - as I've beat the dead horse for years about this, it's really unfortunate that these only exist as 192 MP3s.

freely available:  https://archive.org/details/MIDI07

Dimmer - Ascent 2012 - nice drone and shimmering layers - since there are only three releases, I might pull out some Celer.
Vyacheslav Artyomov - Elegies 1990 - dark, eerie, somber soundtrack modern classical that isn't too far removed from dark ambient vibes - good album.
Crawl Unit - Stop Listening 2000 - this reminds me of albums, and how I felt, when I first started with experimental music - a little bit of everything, all engaging, all well done - really good album.
Government Alpha - Sporadic Spectra 1999 - some very nice fuzz and squabble, but also a bit too much movement and busyness for my tastes (duh, "sporadic") - once again, 4/5 stars.

*really missing that Ground Fault sensibility lately
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: vegasfountain on February 07, 2018, 09:06:42 PM
Worth - Blinder

Haven't seen anyone discuss this on here but it's one of my favorite albums that came out last year. Chaotic and heavy harsh noise. Intricate layering of cut-up junk metal and synth sounds with some occasional drowned out vocals (at least that's what the process sounds like to me). I could listen to this album on repeat and not get bored. Worth also makes some incredible visual art and has a newly established label called Prose Nagge. Very much looking forward to future releases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciGw6WkyywU

I had not heard his stuff before. He contacted me about the LP he put out. First thing I thought was - fuck, shipping stuff to US will be expensive, will it be worth getting these for distro. Listened sample, and concluded that whatever, I'll take these even if it would mean +-0 or even loss. Really good harsh noise vinyl LP, which demands instant repeat listening!

Quote from: Cauldhame on February 14, 2018, 02:40:50 PM
Baptism "Morbid Wings of Sathanas"
I've been reading "The Devil's Cradle" recently and really enjoying it overall, but I couldn't help noticing a distinct lack of Sarcofagian-related projects; I don't know if he just wasn't interested in being interviewed?

He wasn't asked. I don't think there was any other reason than simply the balance of book. They needed to have the veterans, the mid 90's, late 90's early 00's mid, late 00.. and so on. Up till fairly recent projects. One can conclude that Baptism as band, certainly would have been way more important some of the bands who are included, but from perspective wider coverage, some other projects gave what book needed. As it is, book is rather big, so starting to add chapters to get "everybody" involved, would make it too big.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

absurdexposition

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 15, 2018, 05:13:02 PM
Worth - Blinder

Haven't seen anyone discuss this on here but it's one of my favorite albums that came out last year. Chaotic and heavy harsh noise. Intricate layering of cut-up junk metal and synth sounds with some occasional drowned out vocals (at least that's what the process sounds like to me). I could listen to this album on repeat and not get bored. Worth also makes some incredible visual art and has a newly established label called Prose Nagge. Very much looking forward to future releases.

I had not heard his stuff before. He contacted me about the LP he put out. First thing I thought was - fuck, shipping stuff to US will be expensive, will it be worth getting these for distro. Listened sample, and concluded that whatever, I'll take these even if it would mean +-0 or even loss. Really good harsh noise vinyl LP, which demands instant repeat listening!

I'd say they will do well. I sold my initial copies almost instantly and just received a restock today. Good move taking them for Europe.

I've been reading "The Devil's Cradle" recently and really enjoying it overall, but I couldn't help noticing a distinct lack of Sarcofagian-related projects; I don't know if he just wasn't interested in being interviewed?
He wasn't asked. I don't think there was any other reason than simply the balance of book. They needed to have the veterans, the mid 90's, late 90's early 00's mid, late 00.. and so on. Up till fairly recent projects. One can conclude that Baptism as band, certainly would have been way more important some of the bands who are included, but from perspective wider coverage, some other projects gave what book needed. As it is, book is rather big, so starting to add chapters to get "everybody" involved, would make it too big.

Hard to imagine what the book would be like with more content. Finally started reading my copy the other day, finished the first two sections and felt I had gotten a good chunk out of the way, closed the book and the bookmark is at a point where it's like I barely read anything - going to be a long haul!
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Cauldhame

[/quote]

I suppose it's an occupational hazard for people authoring this kind of history that others will always say 'Why have you left out band X but included band Y?'. I had a similar quibble with Dayal Patterson's 'Evolution Of The Cult', but at the end of the day I thoroughly enjoyed reading both.

monotome

Nihil Fist - This is Turbospeed Powerviolence
He should have mixed CD as whole in stead of start/stop at each (short) track, but other than that, it's great speedcore bit of nonsense.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Despise You - West Side Horizons
Still the hardest out. So thankful I got to see them once.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

BTR

No Dreams - Fantasies of Affection

Deeper into a synth/tape ambient hole and even more bleak and minimal than the split/collab with Scant. This is a great soundtrack for staring in despair at a crumbling plaster wall, and I mean that as a high compliment.

SumofTotal

Quote from: absurdexposition on February 15, 2018, 09:02:42 PM
Worth - Blinder

I'd say they will do well. I sold my initial copies almost instantly and just received a restock today. Good move taking them for Europe.

Yes, especially since hes currently planning a Euro tour from 05/03/18 to the 15th starting in Copenhagen and i am aware that he could use some assistance withi booking so feel free to contact him via his website/email wweakwill@gmail.com/ ProseNagge.org - to add to the topic, ive known Will for most of my llife and its incredibly inspiring to witness the culmination of his work presented on this fantastic LP. Quite left field of most current day HN; constistant brutality through landscapes of collaged electronic static, junk, field recordings, etc. lots of attention to detail, definitely had to listen to on repeat to take in the nuances. Not a dull moment on this record whatsoever.

P.i.L.-Lu

In Finland we have this thing called "love black metal" and that is what Baptism is all about.

Baptism is on the further edge of family resemblance scale within underground black metal, i.e. on the softer side whereas SW and Sargeist are closer to its raw edge.

My guess is that was the reason the band was not in that book. Baptism is an odd ball in Finnish underground black metal.

Baptism's popularity is not only depending of its quality in song-writing but the fact it appeals both sexes due its sound. And because of that Baptism also reaches people that are not that deep in UG BM in general.

I had never before - and never since – seen a female version of a wifebeater shirt in underground black metal. There must be likes by now but the very first sighting was on a Baptism gig years ago where a young female sported obviously self crafted tank top outta Baptism t-shirt.

And that about wraps my point up.

I've been reading "The Devil's Cradle" recently and really enjoying it overall, but I couldn't help noticing a distinct lack of Sarcofagian-related projects; I don't know if he just wasn't interested in being interviewed? Either way, it prompted me to dig out this gem. It strikes me that Sarcofagian has a real gift for producing distinctive and nuanced melody lines within a very orthodox BM framework, which I think really gives him the edge over the likes of Satanic Warmaster, Sargeist etc. There's just something more idiosyncratic and compelling at work there without in any way compromising the classicist severity of the sound. He may be less contentious or prolific than some of his peers but the calibre and consistency of Baptism marks it out as some of the finest BM in Finland and I would have liked to read more about it.

Zeno Marx

Phroq - Collapse 2005 - underrated album - great, fierce, studio-dynamic noise and other things, because he isn't a one-trick pony.

Francisco Meirino & Charles-Henri Huser - Play 2005 - this is the bonus 3"CD to Phroq "Collapse" - not very impressive, but not horrible either.

Eric La Casa - The Stones Of The Threshold 1999 - as powerful as a field recording ever there was - it's amazing that it was his first release - incredible acoustics - brilliant manipulations.

Tarab + Artificial Memory Trace - Obex 2018 - the Tarab tracks were a good follow up listen to the La Casa album - great, as can be expected from Tarab - the AMT tracks did a lot less for me - both are reworking the other.

Nebris - Origin 1998-2003 - James Hamilton is one of the unknown treasures of the past few decades, and from the looks of things, he is find with that - as good as any favorite from the past 20 years, which makes him one of the favorites - everything I love in experimental music is found in his recordings; just phenomenal work, one thing after another - grateful he has such an extensive bandcamp page.

Had ND continued, I would have expected quality articles on both Tarab and Hamilton.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Cauldhame

Quote from: P.i.L.-Lu on February 17, 2018, 08:49:08 PM
In Finland we have this thing called "love black metal" and that is what Baptism is all about.

Baptism is on the further edge of family resemblance scale within underground black metal, i.e. on the softer side whereas SW and Sargeist are closer to its raw edge.

My guess is that was the reason the band was not in that book. Baptism is an odd ball in Finnish underground black metal.

Baptism's popularity is not only depending of its quality in song-writing but the fact it appeals both sexes due its sound. And because of that Baptism also reaches people that are not that deep in UG BM in general.

I had never before - and never since – seen a female version of a wifebeater shirt in underground black metal. There must be likes by now but the very first sighting was on a Baptism gig years ago where a young female sported obviously self crafted tank top outta Baptism t-shirt.

And that about wraps my point up.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of Baptism in those terms. I don't know if things are different in Finland but in my experience, in the UK, aside from the fact that men outnumber women in BM in general the idea of a gender divide over style (and specifically that women would prefer the softer end of the spectrum) doesn't hold water. Casual fans are casual and diehard fans are diehard, and the gender of either seems irrelevant to me.

As for Baptism, it seems weird that a book which includes chapters on And Oceans and Thy Serpent would exclude Baptism on grounds of softness, if anything if they're an oddball in the Finnish scene I would think it more likely to acknowledge them for that? I think it's more likely, as Mikko says, that it was just about keeping the book a manageable size.

Anyway, this is all drifting off topic, let's get back to the music. Following on from this I've dug out some old classics for comparison:

Satanic Warmaster "Strength and Honour"
Sargeist "Satanic Black Devotion"

The above debate put aside, both these albums are catchy as fuck. Of the two I prefer the SW, which I think is probably down to the early Graveland influences on this album in particular; the album as a whole really nails that fanatical vibe. I like all the SW albums generally but I think this one is the most vital thing they/he has done.   

F82123

Geography of Hell- Hiroshima 1945/Nagasaki 1945 2xLP
I've been anticipating this record since the NYC Hospital show, and I was not dissapointed. First track has a strong martial industrial feel, which was a pleasant surprise. The rest of the record is very brooding. I feel like more will be revealed with repeated listens.

Dead Mans Shadow/Action Pact- Heathrow Touchdown 7"
Dead Mans Shadow still remains an underrated UK2 group, probably my favorite tracks by them. The Action Pact side is completely forgettable.

Bound for Glory- Warriors Glory LP
The best American RAC record of all time? BFG before they went metal. Sheer hatred.
Fatigued & Relapsing

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Cauldhame on February 18, 2018, 03:48:23 PM
I don't know if things are different in Finland but in my experience, in the UK, aside from the fact that men outnumber women in BM in general the idea of a gender divide over style (and specifically that women would prefer the softer end of the spectrum) doesn't hold water. Casual fans are casual and diehard fans are diehard, and the gender of either seems irrelevant to me.

Yep, I don't think the dark metal element of Baptism had anything to do with not being on the book. However, at least my observations over three decades would make pretty solid judgement on gender related matters in BM. Mr. P.I.L.-Lu seems fairly accurate on his observation about popularity of Baptism among the female. That is, not really when comparing Sargeist or Satanic Warmaster, but starts to be clear when you compare with more brute forces of Black Metal.
If you want to see gender take effect, seems as simple as visit festival with both, Hypotermia and Profanatica playing and look what type of people and what type of behavior they seem to interest. I think it that says a lot, heh...
I doubt there is any way to denounce the facts, yet of course one can question how much weight this should have. Lets say, romanticism within BM, obviously rather crucial in its essence. Some brutes may file it out as mere faggotry, but of course if one files key concepts of romanticism falls into key elements of European BM, then obviously one can conclude such comic book horror hamburger bm has it's place but doesn't really represent "true bm" in any way..

on the playlist:

AUBE "Flush" CD (re)light
AUBE "Comet" 2xCD cipher / troniks
Flush is reissue of tape, and the CD came out already 1998. It is a brilliant example of superior level of AUBE in early peak of his craftmanship. It really is some of the oldest stuff. Originally "Spindrift" tape recorded in 1991. Two more tracks from 1993 that appeared as "Aquatremble" 7" and as addition, exclusive live set from 1992. My complaints would be basically that label did their own artwork. Aube is such a conceptual project, where design is crucial. It is not that I would be utter fanatic of all Aube design, but it is HIS design. Not some englishman 5 years later doing something what absolutely doesn't look like Aube. Perhaps 70 minutes of water sound is long piece to swallow, and original 45 minute Spindrift tape would do the trick alone. But I won't complain on having 7" and the good sounding live on CD format!

Comet double CD dates back to 1997-1998 recordings, but was published almost 10 years later. Was this one of those things that other label was supposed to release and never did it? I can't remember labels name, but I think he did that one compilation CD, which turned out to be "burned on demand CDR" -type of thing, with several years delay...   Well, Aube. It is hit and miss. More often hit, than miss. In times when source sound just doesn't appeal your own taste, or his craft has started to show repetition in negative sense... well, it might not be shit, but it ain't amazing. This is one of releases where I can point out too rhythmic elements being used. Of course Aube usually has rhythm, what comes from loops. I have no problem with that at all. When it starts to resemble "techno" - it is something I either like or simply don't. On this release some of the short looping and few moments here and there become annoying. One disc is using ice. Other disc is using space. Due two hours duration, you're guaranteed to have great moments. Perhaps being less noisy, and being listened after magnificent "Flush" CD, it becomes clear this is not among best of Aube. For fans of more ambient-type of Aube, this can be still recommended.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

moozz

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 20, 2018, 10:07:30 AM
Comet double CD dates back to 1997-1998 recordings, but was published almost 10 years later. Was this one of those things that other label was supposed to release and never did it? I can't remember labels name, but I think he did that one compilation CD, which turned out to be "burned on demand CDR" -type of thing, with several years delay...

The label was AVA/ES1. And the compilation you mention is probably The Dark Evolution Of Electronics Volume 3. It features Schloss Tegal, Morder Machine, Pain Nail, Slogun and others so I'd imagine a proper CD wouldn't have been a total financial suicide.

Peterson

As promised:

Mania "Little Pieces of Violence" CD (Phage Tapes)
            Although I can hear the lineage that Mania's been progressing on since around, I dunno, Ultra-Negative or Insidious & Alone, this is the most specific and developed Mania yet, beyond Grim Conditions, Decrepit, or Foul Inside – from track one, the most use of reverb and space is made, along with the individual sounds being more distinct than ever with a lot of saturation but little bleed-through.
              I think it's now time for me to admit that the newer Mania material, especially this one, makes some of the older stuff sound like shit in comparison. Yes, that much of a difference. Several years ago, I liked Hate Like Hell, Miserable Disposition, and Disgust a whole lot, but today, on account of these more developed releases, they just sound like the stuff between Taint and Mania that bridges the gap. Nowadays we see Bitewerks as a master of subtlety – who'da thunk it? Metal junk stays in the background, rattling, clunking and smacking around instead of smashin' n' bashin' (some of it sounds tonal!). Vocals seethe and bleed out of the mix instead of roaring, screeching, and so on – but still with the signature echo and flange with accompanying sexy feedback that beats the piss outta Ramleh (sorry!). Some excellent torture screams midway through. It also seems as though his use of synth electronics have scaled back over this time, without losing any nastiness – always wet, drooling, and ready even if they're not especially loud or in-your-face. Whitehouse influence is even there – Peter Kurten, New Britain, Right To Kill. Sexy, warbly high-pitched tones with an overloaded phase effect and backround explosions, who else are you gonna think of? Someone once wrote that Taint was like Whitehouse on steroids. It wasn't. Mania is like Whitehouse on really good speed. A dab'll do ya. Quality over quantity. At one point, things start to remind me of Iron Fist Of  The Sun, of all fucking things. That kind of comparative weirdness is why I like these subgenres of music. Even some japanoise delay-stutter towards the end! Guy always delivers but always surprises. How many projects like this can you say that about?
               One last note on the vocals – only gets better with each release. I can tell there are lyrics in some parts, only vocalisation in others. So few could get away with that! Some of my other "favorites" couldn't. I wanna suggest that more should try that technique, but...you know.