PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vegasfountain

Worth - Blinder

Haven't seen anyone discuss this on here but it's one of my favorite albums that came out last year. Chaotic and heavy harsh noise. Intricate layering of cut-up junk metal and synth sounds with some occasional drowned out vocals (at least that's what the process sounds like to me). I could listen to this album on repeat and not get bored. Worth also makes some incredible visual art and has a newly established label called Prose Nagge. Very much looking forward to future releases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciGw6WkyywU

absurdexposition

Quote from: vegasfountain on February 07, 2018, 09:06:42 PM
Worth - Blinder

Haven't seen anyone discuss this on here but it's one of my favorite albums that came out last year. Chaotic and heavy harsh noise. Intricate layering of cut-up junk metal and synth sounds with some occasional drowned out vocals (at least that's what the process sounds like to me). I could listen to this album on repeat and not get bored. Worth also makes some incredible visual art and has a newly established label called Prose Nagge. Very much looking forward to future releases.

I need to spend more time with the LP but Worth's Slow Hell tape that came out around the same time on Lost in the Flood is great as well.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

holy ghost

I have that Worth LP and fwiw I think it's fantastic. However it's really gotten lost in a giant slew of end of year/fresh 2018 stuff and I have not been able to really give it a fair shake.

Baglady

Worth - Blinder
...is a brilliant LP. Doesn't really sound like much else out there. It sort of combines brute americanoise with intensified Prick Decay:ish confusion. It's still an inadequate description, but it's the closest I can get with my set of references. The way the sounds are mixed and thrown about, and the sounds themselves, remind me of another great and not so talked about LP, GOLDEN SERENADES - The Age Of Swing.

Deadpriest

Hair Stylistics with John Wiese like Pedestrian Deposit is chopped up harsh noise with ambient(ish) spells but that's about where the similarities end. This is much more directional than PD, it totally feels like it's straining somewhere, it's nowhere near as harsh and there are non metallic samples through out. Different beast entirely it's all a lot more sparse too. the comparison was pretty much pointless other than I'd just been listening to PD and am now listening to HSwJW. Not not enjoying it.

edit

...the first half at least
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

impulse manslaughter

Tourette - Brûle Mon Ame CD
I never heard the original tapes but this remix/compilation is really great. Controlled bursts of harsh noise over ambient drones. Up there with the best Pedestrian Deposit or Kazumoto Endo material. This is going to get a lot of spins this week.

Cdan

Worth - Blinder

Yeah, definite current favorite no question.

FreakAnimalFinland

SUBLIMINAL "coping" CD
Galakt Horro
It must be among less celebrated projects of label, but perhaps because it's so brutal? Returning to this 2006 CD makes one hope GH would put out some more brutal stuff again. Often utterly simple tracks have disturbing and rotten quality and insane vocal performances that are well blended into sound creation. Analogue, ripping and rusty sounding stuff what is surprisingly unique compared to how simple it really is. Many may have same synths, but personality of sound or flawless sense of aesthetics is something you can't really buy.

SURVIVAL UNIT "Fentanyl Martyrs" 2xCD
Autarkeia
Been going through pretty much all Survival Unit CD's on Autarkeia. One more waits on the pile of playlist. I'm kind of surprised, that my memories of some of the stuff is so inaccurate. Been following project since times it had... I guess, no actual releases. And having pretty much all the old tapes before CD reissues, but still listening the CD's, I'm often almost shocked to think it was this brutal. Maybe it is simply the changing times. That back in early 2000's or times when this stuff was released, it felt like this is what power electronics / postmortem standard would be. But now, compare this with many of the laters days heavy electronics and it underlines how rotten and crude many of the tracks or sounds are. Ripping, rusty, broken, raw and nasty sounds. Not at all "atmospheric heavy synth" type of stuff. It could be safe to say, this double CD - as long as it is, may be culmination of best things in Survival Unit?

V/A CERTIFIED DEAD -CD
Death Continues Records
Compilation with Genocide Organ, Brighter Death Now, Sutcliffe Jugend, Wertham, Grunt, ...Today I'm Dead and such rather well known names, lined up with most likely lesser known Arum Lilies, Necromondo, In Search Of Death, Femeheim that are probably best known to ones who follow DC Records discography. I listened this 4 times by now, and the more I listen, the more I like it. At first, impression was that for compilation, perhaps more care for volume balances would be good. There is nothing that bad here, but knowing how some artists prefer to master their stuff to absolute 0dB all the time and compress it all-out utmost flatness, anyone next to that, will sound quiet. Some stuff would be pointless to attempt to sound as loud, without compromising the dynamics or entire nature of sound. So it's a gamble. Do you want to lower someone's sound - perhaps significantly, so someone who isn't as loud, will be fairly same? Is it making other guys track less intense, in favor of making other better? Well. In album - wholeness is what matters the most. It's slightly odd situation that Genocide Organ in the end of disc is so flat and poor "production" after album full of loud and heavy sound, hah.. And the GO track, despite being rather typical for project, is really good one. Simply not having same punch and brutality as it could have been if properly mastered. I'm sure Garrison didn't take any liberties to heavily boost any individual tracks when doing master of compilation. Of course respectable approach too.
One revelation one might experience, is that if you bought this for bands like BDN and GO, you may be surprised that relatively unknown names don't lose in comparison. Perhaps BDN providing good- but very much expected track of his modern digital era shows that he does pretty much guaranteed track - but something that's expected. Femeheim or such, surprise you by being very good and not losing a bit next to big names! It's foolish to say Arum Lilies would be "newbie". Mr. Groves has been around for long, but this new project of his, fuck how good it is. Full length on Death Continues is one of most listened experimental/"industrial" CD's of recent times. This track offered on compilation gives good example of what album is like. Can project extend into multiple great albums or is it one album wonder, who knows. Worth to pick up, most definitely! Sutcliffe Jugend track here seems to work out better than many of their albums. It's not like anyone would ruin the comp. It all fits well into album, but would I listen album worth of band like Necromondo? Probably not. This is kind of prime example of what I was talking as opposite of Survival Unit or Subliminal. You got someone with clean synth tones, that aren't really noisy, but neither atmospheric ambient type of stuff. It could be software. It would be digital synths recorded direct in line. It could be even analogue synths, but just with zero attempt to make them sound anything more than they are. You know, click open software or turn on your synth. Plug in the headphones to output jack. Push button. That's that. When missing totally the experimental nature of recording process, space, personal touch, brutality of personal hands-on-approach, tweaking and mutilating... then what's left? Sort of straight-to-dvd sci-fi horror software synth tones. Being couple minutes between Grunt and Sutcliffe Jugend, makes track work as in benefit of wholeness, but track itself is prime example what is the damage what happened to noise/industrial in change of recordging technology. In old times, you may have accidentally got tasty sounds of gear if using what is popularly available. Tape decks, 4-trackers, few odd pedals and whatever. Now, if you're satisfied with  "what is popularly available"... Well... results may be that bands that sounded too clean back in 1999, are utterly grim and brutal in comparison. Nevertheless, compilation - very good. Certainly recommended!!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Deadpriest

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 10, 2018, 10:04:59 AM
It could be safe to say, this double CD - as long as it is, may be culmination of best things in Survival Unit?
With the caveat that there are no absolute power electronics pop-hit wonders like "No Surrender" and "One Man's War" on there, that is almost certainly true.

Merzbow - Kamadhenu
The first installment of the recently finnished Merzcow triology I bought last. Rich, supremely diverse, smashing more than any known pumpkin. There are sounds here that you wouldn't normally find on a Merzbow, or really any harsh noise, but somehow it all still holds together very well. Many of the sounds are something you'd find on some more joke oriented noise-project, but they are put together here so as to create something entirely different. Perhaps it is the idea behind the album(s) is somehow lending it some spiritual strength? The eastern (from Merzbow's perspective, India may perhaps be described as semi-Western?) influences appear subtly at certain points, though I believe them to be the result of synth and noise manipulations rather than samplings. I might be wrong. Great stuff.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Deadpriest

North Six by Carlos Giffoni, Lee Ranaldo and Jim O'Rourke (with these luminaries you know it will be good!!) A deep background drone under various harsh samples and guitar with various feedback squiggles and the like. Can't stop listening to it.

Theodore

Yesterday night these tapes - Survival Unit - Live In Paris At Therapie Auditive 2 : I bought this tape recently and had it unlistened yet. Seeing Survival Unit mentioned here, i thought it's time. Scene is me pushing play and sitting on my couch to drink my coffee. BUT this is the kind of live that can cause serious burst of violence ! Some minutes in, i couldn't keep my ass down, started walking around the room like a predator animal in a small cage, wishing an unknown to appear out of nowhere in front of me, to start punching him. That during the whole set. Don't know what happened at this live, but i like to imagine audience started viciously attacking each other.

Prussian Walls - Sadist Kampf : Theme is sadistic sexual exploitation at death camps. Inside the J there is a tasty text / lyrics and a picture of Irma Grese. Feedback based. Highlight is a track taking place for the most of A-Side. Feedback whistling backed with a monotonous rhythm going on for 10+ minutes and roaring vocals and screams here and there. Don't remember if it was the lyrics, if actually says anything at all or just roars. You couldn't figure out anyway, it doesn't matter ... Well, this track has trance / ecstatic ritual characteristics. I even danced to it ! Overall, very good tape, nice sick atmosphere.

Kristian Olsson - Genfard : I don't remember much of this -Survival Unit tape and that track were intense and dominated my memory. Plus at some point i started browsing the internet, so i wasn't focused.- other than i was enjoying listening to it and when it finished i thought it's great. I ll play again very soon, probably today. Artwork booklet is of excellent aesthetic quality. You didn't expect it elseway, did you ?
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Peterson

21st Century Band "Dinner Free" CS (Vitrine, 2015)
(No Artist) "Masochism" CS (Vitrine, 2015)

The "dinner" in question here is apparently two cans of baked beans, some ciabatta bread, and three "Natty Daddies" at 8% ABV, according to the j-card. This the sort of non-music that sounds like it's made by someone who eats and drinks like that because that's what it is. Some half-assed attempts at Broken Flag-type simplicity and some sort of Jackman/Haters-ish sections amidst messy emptiness, some of which briefly sounds like ultra-primitive Italian noise. Kind of "punk," nihilistic, etc. I guess. Somehow it's pretty listenable. Neither a joke nor serious but just weird expression of creative impulses, I think. Tape shit is like noisecore in that they're kind of a grab-bag, but sometimes that kind of risk-taking is a bit more fulfilling than a one-click purchase of something you're basically guaranteed to at least appreciate.
        The above also shares a catalog number and j-card (to some extent) with an artist-less release called Masochism, which sort of references the type of thing like Come Org's "Ripper Tape" in the advertisement. In that sense, it's a sound collage of slightly unexpected and some disturbing sounds, one of which is a recitation over some odd stock music that sounds like if the actual Ripper Tape had been recorded by the actual ripper, rather than a hoax. Or perhaps Saville if you are into that conspiracy stuff (it's actually samples from an obscure poetry LP called "Life Before Death" by Scottish psychoanalyst R.D. Laing). I think part of what people find appealing about this kind of low-level stuff is that it's genuinely surprising. If this really is entirely found sound, this drunk weirdo is also a pretty lucky guy when it comes to thrift scores. Almost impossible to describe outside of context, but keeps returning to the poetry samples after a few segments of evangelist radio and news reports on female genital mutilation among immigrants in the US. Overall pretty good.

Have also nearly completed the Burried Machine tape discography. Basically spans very similar territory tape-to-tape, with the main variables being 1: diversity of sound source (some are pretty much the same thing for almost an hour while others vary a little to a lot and are ultra cut-up), 2: extended technique vs. cuts and edits (on the shorter tapes we usually get a more diverse, edit-heavy track alongside a repetetive or droney one), and 3: fidelity (most being super lo-fi and grainy with one really sharp and clear). Lots of eerie echo, power starve, tape saturation, and a nice bleak atmosphere. Most seem to reference early MB, MO, Come Org/Broken Flag, and maybe Blockaders/Haters as a basic template, but the clearest recording is more like his take on musique concrete with nearly harsh-noise paced editing and of course some harder elements. I have yet to hear his CD or LP but I'd probably like them even considering how similar most of this stuff is. Standout feature is perhaps the 2pac 2xCS that is just two ~3min loops which basically try to cover as much of his sound in as little time as possible. Plus, you could assemble/mix your own Burried Machine release with just those loops as sources, if you wanted. Make no mistake, this is really non-special stuff, but it's charmingly simple and satisfying, especially in such small doses. Oh and I'd love to hear the split with Knurl if anyone is willing to part with or upload it.

Arv & Miljo self-titled CS (I Dischi Del Barone)
        Ends with John Lydon saying "ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" from the infamous final Sex Pistols gig somewhere in Texas. I guess here we have Andersson's way of making that statement, if you will. Seems necessary, though, as I remember a few years ago some other young American guy posting about A&M tapes and complaining that the LP he'd done at that time ("Kropp," from Posh Isolation) was too experimental, too different from what he was used to, and so on. I guess when you have folks like that whining about your stuff it is definitely time for a big change.
        Among moments of cut-up and layered noisier field recordings, we also have some nice, straightforward guitar loop sections and some droney/shoegazey parts which are possibly the best moments. The worst moments are utterly pointless, like crowd noise at some concert and bar conversations complete with awful bar punk in the background. That said, I'd have been so disappointed to have spent the money to listen to this on vinyl, so it seems pretty appropriate for cassette format. Sort of like "day in the life" sounds for Mr. Andersson, I guess. Not bad but not full or complete enough for vinyl. Get the tape if you're curious. Much like the above Vitrine stuff in that it's a bit too casual for me to tell whether serious effort was put into it, which can be enjoyable in the right mood.

Tonight: FINALLY getting around to "Little Pieces of Violence."

Cauldhame

Baptism "Morbid Wings of Sathanas"

I've been reading "The Devil's Cradle" recently and really enjoying it overall, but I couldn't help noticing a distinct lack of Sarcofagian-related projects; I don't know if he just wasn't interested in being interviewed? Either way, it prompted me to dig out this gem. It strikes me that Sarcofagian has a real gift for producing distinctive and nuanced melody lines within a very orthodox BM framework, which I think really gives him the edge over the likes of Satanic Warmaster, Sargeist etc. There's just something more idiosyncratic and compelling at work there without in any way compromising the classicist severity of the sound. He may be less contentious or prolific than some of his peers but the calibre and consistency of Baptism marks it out as some of the finest BM in Finland and I would have liked to read more about it.

Yrjö-Koskinen

GRUNT - Castrate the Illusionist
Despite being obscenely tired, I had to treat myself to Special Interests and this album tonight (curse the efficient Finnish postal system). To describe my basic sensation, I am going to make the dumbest statement in the history of the Playlist with comments/reviews thread: I feel somewhat like when I first heard Cradle of Filth's Vempire back in 1996. To those in the know, that may sound like the beginning of some kind of rabid hate attack on this album, but it is meant as the absolute opposite. At that time, CoF had yet to successfully embark on their quest to bring terribly watered down black metal to the great unwashed teenagers of the world, and the first thing I thought when I heard the MCD was simply "oh, shit, you can do something like this with black metal?". There is something similar going on here. In the case of Vempire, what struck me was of course the comparatively very high production values and the complex song writing (and the lyrics, which are still quite impressive even on later and shittier releases, at least technically). Here, it is rather the strange juxtaposition of the chaotic, the repetitive and the complex that's kind of swept me off my feet and and reminded me that there are still almost unlimited possibilities within this genre/these genres. Despite basically being made up of a finely spliced collage of styles and modes of work very typical of Grunt, things come together in a supremely cohesive way. There's not really much in the way of conventional song structure, and there's nothing particularly "accessible" here - the uninitiated would probably just hear the same ruckus as on any other noise/power electronics album - but there is clearly something structural at work here elevating Castrate... to a new level. I find it very difficult to pinpoint exactly how any of this is achieved, except that there has either been a metric ton of work or a metric ton of lucky stars involved in this one. A very diverse pallet of sounds, ranging from filthy industrial, screeching noise over junk abuse, to heavier power electronics and of course Grunt's typical utilization of "space", is certainly one of the factors, but it isn't really enough to understand what's going on here. It is too soon to rank this one "my personal favorite Grunt", but it is not too soon to say that this is at least one of the very best recordings produced under the monicker.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea