PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yrjö-Koskinen

All in all, it's interesting how useless the idea of progress is when discussing artistic pursuits, once the technical bit is taken care of that is. I.e.: Broken Flag would be impossible without certain technical innovations, but once those are in place, shit from the 80's are or can be way more diverse, more dedicated and more creative than - or at least AS diverse, dedicated and creative as - anything created since. Yet we all keep trying, bitch about things not being cool enough, or too cool etc...  Kind of like how we must all at least tip our hat to the British (I guess) middle-aged men who once invented nominal hygiene, but can still feel pretty depressed about ourselves and the world for various secondary reasons.

Whatever. Still on my Broken flag trip, but I've now also discovered something called Glitch Hop, which is excellent for work and also for the 25 minute walk to and fro work. I'm probably out of the loop, but the combination of absolute stupidity and a funky beat is irresistible to me (for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL8CyVqzmkc)
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Duncan

edit -  I got rid of this because I don't think I really understand what you're getting at.

Today: SODOM - AGENT ORANGE

totalblack

Ramleh - Grudge For Life

Really like this one, real dope rock vibe

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: Stoa on January 28, 2018, 12:40:29 AM
All in all, it's interesting how useless the idea of progress is when discussing artistic pursuits, once the technical bit is taken care of that is. I.e.: Broken Flag would be impossible without certain technical innovations, but once those are in place, shit from the 80's are or can be way more diverse, more dedicated and more creative than - or at least AS diverse, dedicated and creative as - anything created since. Yet we all keep trying, bitch about things not being cool enough, or too cool etc...  Kind of like how we must all at least tip our hat to the British (I guess) middle-aged men who once invented nominal hygiene, but can still feel pretty depressed about ourselves and the world for various secondary reasons.

I remember writing this, and the general sentiment behind it, but after losing several points of blood alcohol level I no longer find it fully comprehensible. In other words, if anyone wonders what I'm on about I won't be able to help. Looks clever, though.

Quote from: Duncan on January 28, 2018, 01:32:16 AM
edit -  I got rid of this because I don't think I really understand what you're getting at.

[Edit] Missed this. The more I try to reconstruct my line of thinking, the more I think I didn't have a coherent point to begin with.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Stoa on January 28, 2018, 12:40:29 AM
All in all, it's interesting how useless the idea of progress is when discussing artistic pursuits

Incapacitants – No Progress
is all I've ever needed
and all I'll ever need
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Deadpriest

Catching up on some Aphex Twin, Drukqs is still achingly beautiful and reminds me of wondering the streets alone at night in my teens, evocative for sure.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Peterson

^New B-SS-M sounds great, but weirdly "simple." I need to pick that one up.

Full Service Available C90 (Fusty Cunt, 2017)
          Label description is basically field recordings of brothel visits in Merzland layered with synthesizer drone. That's what it is. Cool stereo panning effect on the drones, too. Allows to switch between ambient and attentive listening if you have the time. It's great stuff, I wish more people would layer collages of field recordings, interviews, and so on with tasteful, subtle drones or loops. I would like to see more field recordings of this nature from another location if there will be another release from this project.

Edward Sanderson "Beijing 2016 - 2017" CS (Zoomin' Night, 2017)
          Straightforward single-track field recordings of a handful of locations around Beijing, obviously. Surprisingly listenable, even during parts with street calls/chatter. Not as long or as diverse as I'd prefer, but still great.

Viridiplantae CS (Fusty Cunt, 2017)
           Field recordings of insects, birds, and some wood knocking in the background at some points. Nearly noisy, static textures presumably from insects in earlier parts. Disappointing - not as diverse, detailed, or as cut-up as I'd hoped. Listenable but too familiar. Traffic noise in background killed the mood on B-side.

Stuart Chalmers "Poetry of Decay" CS (Strange Rules, 2016)
          This is like if something like My Bloody Valentine or The Jesus & Mary Chain wasn't rock and instead abstract tape music - really "musical" with a noisy psychedelic quality. In the same way that it has a limited appeal 'round here, it also might really hit the spot for some. Very rough, crude loops of what I sometimes have a hard time believing is entirely "found sound," as in there are some too-convenient (synth?) drones alongside looped vocals, chimes and metal clatter, conversations, kids playing, natural sounds, and so on. All very warped, saturated, and damaged, with a noticeable "dragging" sound from what sounds like rough, crude, sloppily-made tape loops. Great stuff, but too happy for regular listening around here.

Yrjö-Koskinen

During my latest night shift I needed something hysterical (not necessarily funny, but literally hysterical) to keep myself alert. Since I work in a factory, any type of noise would make no sense what so ever, so I decided to search for stupid electronic dance music genres. And, lo and behold, I found Glitch Hop. Most of it works fine to stay on your feet producing high quality goods for the commercial life of the great nation of Finland, but I actually found two instafavorites, which will remain on my mental playlist for years: Fat Rat - Jackpot, and OMFG - Hello (Will & Tim Remix). If I didn't need to feel special and extreme, and hence need harsh noise and P-E, this is the shit I'd spend my time listening to. In fact, I'm listening to it right now.

Also, I just utilized the recently legalized possibility to buy beer with a higher alcohol content than 4,7% at my local supermarket. Vapaus...

Johann

Reijo Pami: Please Stop Breathing: Choc.Monk: Finnish jokester, crudest of the crude. Retarded vocalizing, pause button maddness. field recordings of unknown origin and location, off the street or television? Speuaked, squeezed and rubbed, close up mic squawking like fake bird calls. Changez style metal clutter and Donald Duck doing Slayers vocals, Duferene in a portapotty as people stumble drunkenly about outside. Sounds go short and long, are here nor there and begin and end in no time at all. Was this straight to Walkman or edited on a 4 track, no clues, no-fi but just what I needed.

"It's like someone took a Slowscan lp and gave it a good wirebrush scrubbing, a bit of a soak in an unknown liquid, then left it to dry next to a radiator." - label description, perfect description

Deadpriest

Wow, so Pedestrian Deposit is mostly very low key ambient with the very occasional bursts of harsh noise, some of it is proper sort of cut up harsh noise, so my fool hardy purchase on Bandcamp was not a complete waste of money (unlike my purchase of the partial Trepaneringsritualen and  T/W/B label discography at least at first glance or whatever) kind of Machinefabriky I guess so maybe a not complete bust. Heavens above knows. My download of all the Limbs Bin stuff is much more promising.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Geoff Barrow and Ben Salisbury - DROKK: Music Inspired by Mega City One
https://drokk.bandcamp.com/

My fiancee put me onto this a while ago, and while not strictly industrial it would certainly appeal to folks here. Members of Portishead doing amazing 1980s sci-fi soundtrack sounds- think Vangelis, Klaus Schulze, even early Metal Gear Solid soundtracks etc with an extra layer of grit and more than a nod to Terminator and early Carpenter stuff.

One or both musicians have done promo stuff for Arturia so I think that the Microbrute is the weapon of choice on this, and if not it's still all very analog sounding, never too polished or technical while still sounding professional.

Knifedoutofexistence - Inhibitors
https://knifedoutofexistence.bandcamp.com/

Saw this act for the third time on Friday supporting Cremation Lily and picked up the new tape. Just like the live set, it's excellent intricately composed power electronics- feels like the clockwork tension of Dilloway meets the feedback/vocal assault of early Prurient. Tracks are often tastefully separated with quieter segments and field recordings that give a great sense of place- lapping waves and distant bells give an unmistakable coastal feel, isolated and cold.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Deadpriest on February 05, 2018, 01:29:27 PM
Wow, so Pedestrian Deposit is mostly very low key ambient with the very occasional bursts of harsh noise, some of it is proper sort of cut up harsh noise, so my fool hardy purchase on Bandcamp was not a complete waste of money (unlike my purchase of the partial Trepaneringsritualen and  T/W/B label discography at least at first glance or whatever) kind of Machinefabriky I guess so maybe a not complete bust. Heavens above knows. My download of all the Limbs Bin stuff is much more promising.

If you haven't listened to the Volatile and Fatale albums yet then you're missing what made Pedestrian Deposit so good in the first place. The balance is tipped heavily in the favor of harsh noise to ambient on those two and they're absolutely ripping.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

Oscillating Innards - The Broken Column CS (Iatrogenesis, 2010)
Rusalka - Blood Comes Anyway CS (Absurd Exposition, 2013)

Some things are just plain good. Very much looking forward to the upcoming Rusalka tape on New Forces.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Deadpriest

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on February 05, 2018, 06:22:27 PM
If you haven't listened to the Volatile and Fatale albums yet then you're missing what made Pedestrian Deposit so good in the first place. The balance is tipped heavily in the favor of harsh noise to ambient on those two and they're absolutely ripping.

Agreed!! Vestige is also pretty cool: excellent harsh noise cut ups book ended and overlaid with hypnotic ambient.

FallOfNature

Survival Unit - Fentanyl Martyrs
Massive 2 discs of some of the S.U's best material. Flawless.

V/A - Power Electronics Against Communism vol.2
Strong tracks from Steel Law and Genocide Lolita, and a Streicher reboot. Not every track was my thing (hard to impress with Martial type sounds these days) but the good ones were great. Nice variation of sounds and good flow between artists.

Forgotten Spell - Epiphaneia Phosphorus (Angel, God Or Insanity)
German Black Metal, pretty strange and creative stuff. No Moonblood or Absurd copy. Album seems to go forever and a tiny bit beyond my attention span to sit through in one listed. Great material however.