PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yrjö-Koskinen

SLEEP COLUMN "Maniac"
While I've reduced the amount of online HNW I consume, I still think some of these guys create great stuff. This one is not a download, but a physical CDr. Nice, green, minimalist cover. With no less than TWO editions, both of which consist of ten copies, this is more or less the Jackie Collins-book of wallnoise. Two tracks of widely divergent length (10:01 and an even half hour respectively), each beginning with some kind of horror/slasher sample or whatever. Once that is over with (very quickly for the first track, somewhat less quickly for the second) it's all about the crunching wall noise. It is amazing. Obviously devoid of any notable change or dynamics, it still has that driving crunch some of these Russians are so good at achieving. This almost makes me wish there was a dance style for static harsh noise. Obviously there is much of similar fare available, especially online, but this was just the ticket tonight. Good times. Being sober for extended periods of time apparently awakens the HNW fan in me.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Johann

Been listening to a lot in the last two days

Tonight:
Aaron Dilloway & John Wiese - 'something' Caves 7": dark and aggressive, real quick play but well worth it. Some of my favorite cover art ever.

Your Father was a Poser how about You - 7MON: all info about this release says its 33 rpm...feels a bit slow, almost sounds like only drums and vocals. Still good, not particularly aggressive but personally appealing in a lot of ways.

Our Culture is Boring - 7MON: much faster than the previous one, fast paced noisecore...vocals are funny as hell when intelligible.

Sissy Spacek- Gate 7": Brutal fast noisecore, All high end... free floating feed back, harsh and unforgiving

Protes Bengt "in Bengt we trust" : Mob 47 boys, Swedish hc is perfect and this never disappoints

Also a whole lotta reggae tonight, Augustus Pablo Meets King Tubby, Lee Perry  Return of the Super ape and Madlib 'Blunted in the Bomb Shelter"

Deadpriest

Yen Pox - Blood Music.
Looking at the stickers on various Gnaw Their Tongues releases from Crucial Blast it said that they were the darkest music that had been heard for a long time, so I wondered to myself who was the darkest before GTT? I sent an email to (Adam at) Crucial Blast asking and he said this, which I kind of get but also not; the vastness that it feels as though is being described has a very very deep dark emotional resonance but there is stuff that is much more immediate Brainbombs Burning Hell, Lymphatic Phlegm Pathogenesis Infest Phlegmsepsia, Merzbow Venereology, a whole host of PE stuff etc plus it is just very good the way it just drifts...
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

collapsedhole

re: yen pox

if i remember right, blood music was released on malignant records - haven't heard in awhile, but if searching for the darkest of dark ambient, Blood Box - A World Of Hurt, which is also on malignant, is in the same vein but more well done, and darker, i think.

Zeno Marx

Yen Pox - Blood Music is possibly unbeatable.  That was a landmark release, and it has stood the test of time.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Deadpriest

Spent the afternoon watching K-pop (Korean pop groups -I was focusing more on the girly end) videos. Very catchy (less cartoonish than J-pop) and the videos are amazingly choreographed with these little flourishes of movement that make the composition very heightened. Also it's Korean so we are talking completely pristine girls.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

NaturalOrthodoxy

Unsustainable Social Condition - Your Strife Means Nothing To Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQcU2S9SC9I

Thank fuck for "Related videos" on YouTube. Uploaded by a reliable channel for HN/PE/etc on YouTube (DANCING IN THE AIR) only yesterday, I checked this out this morning. One of the most instantly engaging straight-up noise albums I've listened to in a while.

Brilliant glitchy sounds are paired with strange percussion and vocals that seem to be straining underneath the dense mass of noise. It occasionally lets up to let individual elements come to the forefront- I'd be hesitant to guess at the sound source for some of them because they're processed and mixed so well that they truly become something separate from reality.

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on January 24, 2018, 01:18:40 PM

Thank fuck for "Related videos" on YouTube. Uploaded by a reliable channel for HN/PE/etc on YouTube (DANCING IN THE AIR) only yesterday, I checked this out this morning. One of the most instantly engaging straight-up noise albums I've listened to in a while.

Brilliant glitchy sounds are paired with strange percussion and vocals that seem to be straining underneath the dense mass of noise. It occasionally lets up to let individual elements come to the forefront- I'd be hesitant to guess at the sound source for some of them because they're processed and mixed so well that they truly become something separate from reality.

great
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

New Forces

Quote from: ANDROPHILIA on January 24, 2018, 03:33:22 PM
Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on January 24, 2018, 01:18:40 PM

great

For anyone interested, I recently dug up a box of sold out tapes that went missing in a recent move, and I'll be putting those online soon at http://newforces.limitedrun.com. There are a few copies of the Unsustainable Social Condition tape.
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

Yrjö-Koskinen

I've behaved like a serious human being for once and finally sat down with the Broken Flag: A Retrospective 1982 - 1985 box my wife got me about a year ago. Hoop-de-boop, this is some great stuff. Somehow I now finally get some older projects I've never had that much interest in, possibly because I've projected my attitude towards black metal unto the industrial scene (I don't care at all for 80's metal, except for Maiden and Priest, and to me the whole BM thing begins with Darkthrone, early Immortal and Burzum). Controlled Bleeding's material is absolutely awe inspiring, as is Maurizio Bianchi's, Ramleh's and most of the whole box set. Hardly news to most people here, but I've missed out on much of this stuff for various reasons. One amusing detail is that many of these projects used stereo in a very drastic manner. Several compositions have almost completely different tracks for the right and left speaker, which unfortunately haven't worked that well for me given that I've been listening to all this stuff in headphones. I suppose playing it through an actual stereo might change things up, but at this point I'm reduced to a (very nice) Panasonic discman on account of both my CD player and vinyl player giving up and falling apart. Either way, a brilliant release that's got me pining a bit for more old industrial cassette culture.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Stoa on January 26, 2018, 01:31:08 AMto me the whole BM thing begins with Darkthrone, early Immortal and Burzum

You need Bathory. Honestly, the early albums have that sinister sound which was perfected by the second wave bands.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on January 26, 2018, 05:45:15 AM
Quote from: Stoa on January 26, 2018, 01:31:08 AMto me the whole BM thing begins with Darkthrone, early Immortal and Burzum

You need Bathory. Honestly, the early albums have that sinister sound which was perfected by the second wave bands.

Bathory is a special case. I don't get the dumb-ass vibe I get from most other first wavers, and actually enjoy listening to it, but I have never owned an album or really got into any of it. The Bathory track I've spent the most time listening to by far is Demoniac's cover of "The Return of Darkness and Evil". I did buy Quorthon's Album like five years after it was released though, if that counts towards something other than an indication that good music and me aren't always on the same page in life.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: Stoa on January 26, 2018, 01:31:08 AM
One amusing detail is that many of these projects used stereo in a very drastic manner. Several compositions have almost completely different tracks for the right and left speaker, which unfortunately haven't worked that well for me given that I've been listening to all this stuff in headphones.

M.B. uses that effect so well. Feels like being trapped in a rusting machine slowly turning out of sync with itself as it falls apart. I tend to love hearing that sound in older industrial/P.E., though maybe that's cos subconsciously it sounds "retro" to someone like myself who wasn't alive for it

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Stoa on January 26, 2018, 01:31:08 AM
I've behaved like a serious human being for once and finally sat down with the Broken Flag: A Retrospective 1982 - 1985 box my wife got me about a year ago. Hoop-de-boop, this is some great stuff. Somehow I now finally get some older projects I've never had that much interest in, possibly because I've projected my attitude towards black metal unto the industrial scene (I don't care at all for 80's metal, except for Maiden and Priest, and to me the whole BM thing begins with Darkthrone, early Immortal and Burzum). Controlled Bleeding's material is absolutely awe inspiring, as is Maurizio Bianchi's, Ramleh's and most of the whole box set. Hardly news to most people here, but I've missed out on much of this stuff for various reasons. One amusing detail is that many of these projects used stereo in a very drastic manner. Several compositions have almost completely different tracks for the right and left speaker, which unfortunately haven't worked that well for me given that I've been listening to all this stuff in headphones. I suppose playing it through an actual stereo might change things up, but at this point I'm reduced to a (very nice) Panasonic discman on account of both my CD player and vinyl player giving up and falling apart. Either way, a brilliant release that's got me pining a bit for more old industrial cassette culture.

yeah, glad you enjoyed this.
got my cd copy at the broken flag 30 year bash a few years ago.
lot of it holds up as strangely out of it's time rather than old.
would recommend various harbinger sound releases of ramleh etc broken flag stuff.

Duncan

I've absorbed shamefully little of the Broken Flag set given how long I've had it but what I always get from the bits I've listened to most is how diverse the sounds and approaches are in there.  There is plenty going on over the entire box which dates it back to the time it was made and the recording quality is totally lofi but within all of that is a lot of variation.  There are things scattered throughout which would easily pass as moments from old, obscure tape music rarities in a blind listening test. 

Agree about the Controlled Bleeding stuff though I just get nothing whatsoever out of M.B....guess I'll keep trying.

Been listening to shedloads of Graham Lambkin today.  Never really bothered digging in before but took in a good 2 or 3 records while at work.  Could just be the mood I was in but it was all such a pleasure to listen to.  Perfect, mellow music for totally reflective, silent listening.  Takes a lot to get away with incorporating such massive long and untreated sections of other people's music into your work but I'll be damned if he doesn't get away with it.