PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

MERZBOW "Life Performance" CD
Cold Spring
Great to see Cold Spring to finally put out actually good Merzbow CD! I think none of the many merzbow items label has done, has stood out as particularly great. Of course some are ok. This, being re-mastered re-issue of 1985 tape, that goes into harsh noise category, yet still full of loops, tape manipulations and such is example of good era where even standard merz-noise stands out!

SHIFT "Abandon" CD
Cold Spring
Been listening this albums again. When I got the LP, listened many times. Now in recent days, three times. It depends what side of project one values the most, to really measure what is the best album of Shift. Each album is different, so they have their advantages. Especially opening and closing tracks of Abandon are massive. Opening piece includes such a non-romantic darkness and negativity, it's not very common to hear such level in genre where romanticized or exaggerated nature of expression appears to dominate. At the same time, it's not too obvious, not too banal, but just somehow manages to capture eerie spirit of utmost contempt towards... them. Those who needs to be buried deep and forgotten. Good usage of both - very concrete sounds you will link to specific happening. Digging graves. And synthesizer works as well as added dose of musicality compared to previous material. Production of the sounds - clearly done with utmost care for detail.

BARRY ADAMSON + PAN SONIC + THE HAFLER TRIO "The humn of the 7th illusion" LP
Cold Spring
In short on could say: A-side rules, B-side sucks ass. All the subtle and airy choir singing and electronic pulsations, well composed and arranged on a-side is ruined by annoying glitchy nonsense. Still absolutely worth to get due magnificent a-side.

AM NOT "First morbid Vibrations" CD
Unrest Productions
So... I recall tape was good, but this good? What to say about it? I guess most know this technologically advanced heavy electronics unit. If not, then about the time to check out. This may after all, be my favorite of releases?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Human Larvae

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 22, 2017, 04:41:38 PM

SHIFT "Abandon" CD
Cold Spring
Been listening this albums again. When I got the LP, listened many times. Now in recent days, three times. It depends what side of project one values the most, to really measure what is the best album of Shift. Each album is different, so they have their advantages. Especially opening and closing tracks of Abandon are massive. Opening piece includes such a non-romantic darkness and negativity, it's not very common to hear such level in genre where romanticized or exaggerated nature of expression appears to dominate. At the same time, it's not too obvious, not too banal, but just somehow manages to capture eerie spirit of utmost contempt towards... them. Those who needs to be buried deep and forgotten. Good usage of both - very concrete sounds you will link to specific happening. Digging graves. And synthesizer works as well as added dose of musicality compared to previous material. Production of the sounds - clearly done with utmost care for detail.

Abandon LP is a great display of pure doom electronics. Probably my favorite Shift release for a while.

Cauldhame

The use of locked grooves at the end of each side is especially well done and really gives the LP version the edge.

vomitgore

Sick Seed - Technological Singularity

The sheer brilliance of the latest album made me revisit this, as it is definitely that kind of material that needs more digestion and various spins for me. And yes, this time this one got me. Nice song structures, even "funky" at times. Very thought-out sounds with great bursts of total aggression here and there. Strikes me as something very few people apart from SS could have pulled off.

Contortus - Violence in Heat  (CD)

I have zero remembrance of the first tape, only that I liked it at the time. Played this album back to back twice, as I was sure I missed important details during the first spin. It's damn good stuff! Really raw sounds combined nicely to make a very fierce whole. Basic agression, but clearly done with skill and over a long period of time. Recommended!

Anemone Tube - In the Vortex of Dionysian Reality  (CD)

I worship this project. The drones, atmosphere, field recordings and aesthetics just blend together so perfectly and the spiritual and philosophical backbone makes it all the more exciting. This CD is a prime example of Anemone Tube's skill. All in all beautiful and trance - inducing but still noisy and tense.

cr

On the last two weekends, I listened on repeat to - Organoid- "Bitsevsky Maniac" and Flagellatio Orgasmus- "Criminal Russia" CDs, both on Filth&Violence.

When I got them some months ago, I only listened once or twice, thought I wasn't too impressed and filed them away. After reading the interview in the NEUESACHLICHKEIT book, I decided to listen again. And damn, they are fucking great. Definitely want more.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: cr on November 26, 2017, 07:50:36 PM
On the last two weekends, I listened on repeat to - Organoid- "Bitsevsky Maniac" and Flagellatio Orgasmus- "Criminal Russia" CDs, both on Filth&Violence.

When I got them some months ago, I only listened once or twice, thought I wasn't too impressed and filed them away. After reading the interview in the NEUESACHLICHKEIT book, I decided to listen again. And damn, they are fucking great. Definitely want more.

guess, what changed your mind.was it reality based sounds, or that sounds were original, or other...

Deadpriest

Just watched a couple of the IPoS DVDs, phew!

Does anyone know where I can find the last two?

Also someone on here posted a link to an interview with the dude from Bizarre Uproar. Could someone direct me to that too?
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

FreakAnimalFinland

They are not on list, but email to freak Animal and most parts are available.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

Cold Spring
Great to see Cold Spring to finally put out actually good Merzbow CD! I think none of the many merzbow items label has done, has stood out as particularly great. Of course some are ok. This, being re-mastered re-issue of 1985 tape, that goes into harsh noise category, yet still full of loops, tape manipulations and such is example of good era where even standard merz-noise stands out!

From 2015-2017, what releases have been re-releases from the 80s like this one?
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Peterson

Current Worming "Untitled" CS (Dogmatics In Outline)
        So-called "noise" can sometimes be a strange thing when looked at objectively. Case in point, there's the most recent tape from Current Worming. This tape could easily have been recorded and released by a Danish (?) project called Corrosion, but it's a Canadian project called Current Worming. To be fair, I have to wonder what makes me like Current Worming that much more than Corrosion; by that I mean this tape is probably my least favorite CW effort so far. It's not bad, but it just doesn't have the character of the previous and therefor lacks it's main strength.
        Yes, it's good, as in crunchy, "real" noise with acoustics, an "organic" feel and some great loop sections etc., but it's lacking a certain emotive or energetic quality much like Corrosion in my opinion does as well. There are some admirable textures and in some moments on the second A-side track, very tasty resonance/acoustic junk, as well as a very nice loop on the latter half of the B-side, but overall it's a bit too compressed with overlong meandering sections that have force but not a lot of power. Higher frequencies are just kind of crunched out of the mix. I'll easily concede I could be just turning into more of an asshole, in that other CW fans will probably not be as picky as me – still worth getting if you liked what you heard on other CW tapes.

Publication Ban "Miranda" CS (Dogmatics In Outline)
        Again, "noise" et al can be a strange thing – another example of what makes you question how is one project at all separate from another (including my own). Here in the latest Publication Ban tape, side A's "Role Play" sounds suspiciously like the above project, Current Worming: pounding background rhythm at various mid-pace speeds underneath a flow of mid-bassy, full-sounding blown out crunch, moving on to some shrill acoustic scraping (presumably) and then including some nice feedback/high-pitched whistling tones. This could pretty much be CW – I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same person/people, or if one project is the solo project of a member of the other. This is pretty tasty, though, with an emphasis on high-end over lows that is very much my kinda thing. Latter part of A-side reminds me just a little bit of Incapacitants or Gelsomina, oddly enough. Some piercing, chime-like sounds end the track very nicely.
        Interview/interrogation sample opens the B-side track "Stage Distribution" laid on top of hissing, shrill feedback-type noise. Fluttery texture not unlike Peter Kurten/RTK-era Whitehouse. When the sample drops in volume, a grinding tone momentarily overtakes things before getting quiet and more slight, quiet feedback slices in. When sound is reduced to just the generator tone and slashes of the tinny feedback/chime sound, it's perhaps the best highlight before a louder, mid-range crunch sort of bulldozes everything and then gives way to glassy, tinny, thin-sounding junk clatter and stops abruptly. If it weren't for the sample, I'd say this just should have been another Current Worming tape, maybe released instead of the above. Not bad, but I hope the label goes for more adventurous efforts in the future.

absurdexposition

Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 28, 2017, 09:03:10 PM
Cold Spring

From 2015-2017, what releases have been re-releases from the 80s like this one?

Last year Urashima did Lowest Music.2 and Remblandt Assemblage. Can't comment on content / quality, though.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

holy ghost

Quote from: absurdexposition on November 28, 2017, 09:57:51 PM
Last year Urashima did Lowest Music.2 and Remblandt Assemblage. Can't comment on content / quality, though.

I very much enjoyed Lowest Music 2 and Collection 009. I didn't love all of Remblandt Assemblage however, if that's the one with the acoustic guitar bits in it, which seemed to drag on and on. I am definitely looking forward to more of these Urashima reissues though.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Damien Dubrovnik - Great Many Arrows

Probably a contentious one, I'm not actually sure what the prevailing opinion of Posh Isolation/Loke Rahbek around here is. Personally hit and miss as a label for me, as Damien Dubrovnik delivers some brilliant ambient/industrial stuff but other stuff errs too much on the side of modern techno/electronica for me. Then there's some material totally separate from the industrial spectrum such as Vanessa Amara which is just beautiful piano/organ/string improvisation.
Of course then you have label stalwarts like Puce Mary, who is indisputably excellent at creating detailed and dynamic PE/industrial.

Great Many Arrows to me seems like the culmination of the best of a few different styles Rahbek has been trying for a few years. Some ostensibly "heavy" PE sounds, some long quiet atmospheric passages with snippets of field recordings or strange percussive instruments, and some very melancholy synth/organ/string melodies. It's certainly a far cry from early DD or stuff like Caucasian Colony but it's an interesting progression as an artist and one of my favourites from a year with a lot of other good releases within the PE/industrial/experimental circle.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Utzalu - The Loins of Repentance

https://vrasubatlat.bandcamp.com/album/vt-xv-the-loins-of-repentance

Some great noise passages in this black metal album. Top quality stuff as usual from Vrasubatlat- if you like Dagger Lust, Triumvir Foul, Knife Dagger, etc then you'll know what to expect from this label.

vomitgore

Ebola Disco - Discography
Cool stuff! At the beginning, I felt that some of the studio tracks could have used 10 - 20% more biting distortion, but I got into it and enjoyed myself. Some of the live performances seemed really damn powerful and aggressive. Very nice no-bullshit PE.

Am Not - First Morbid Vibrations
Contemporary Am Not is so strong and dominant that my initial fear was that this may suffer in comparison. This was not the case, though. Very nice and deep sounds, not quite as aggressive as some of his best new stuff, but still very musical and round. Certainly a very good idea to reissue this and recommended, of course.

Incapacitants - Mon, Ma, Mon?
Always an enjoyable act! This material was not quite as powerful as some other stuff for some reason, but still, second-best Incapacitants beats 90% of the rest. Very good live track at the end that sounded nice and harsh!