PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetenthousandthings

I have been trying to get my hands on Motel Dwelling for some time. Could never find a rip of it either. The Resembling Actuality tape on Team Boro is a banger but you all knew that.

FallOfNature

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 12, 2017, 04:41:03 PM
DISCORDANCE "Ripper" tape

Brutal electronics, short and to-the-point tracks. Good stuff!

I checked this out after reading the description and only being familiar with the split LP with Deathpile. This review is accurate, it is indeed great stuff.

Lately...

AZOIKUM Global Hate and Tod
A name I shamefully overlooked until recently. A lot of releases to absorb but these two are on constant rotation lately. Global Hate in particular is especially rough and forceful.

MACRONYMPHA - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Obvious classic and my personal favourite output of Macronympha. Could do with a reissue, though. Trash Ritual CD in 500 copies and none to be found anywhere anymore?

SISTRENATUS - Magnetic Resonance EP
Not the strongest material from his discography and elelments of Funerary Call bled into this one, decent brooding industrial though not something I play very often.

Peterson

Sill Image "Finite Line" CS (Throne Heap)
        Really beautiful and precise stuff that showcases the intersection between "accessible" experimental music, musique concrete, and industrial sensibilities. Apparently this is Shane Church, otherwise known as Hostage Pageant and also as one half of Harness, with Luke Tandy. Today, the only real contemporary I could draw a parallel with would be Shredded Nerve, but a few decades ago folks like Organum were also doing stuff like this – that is, carefully-balanced, somewhat minimal stuff that seems very composed, detailed, and both gritty and clear (in terms of fidelity). Acoustic noises like glass, metal, and rocks are accompanied by echo and reverb effects with electronics in the background that are in some cases surprisingly melodic. Excellent stuff, I'll certainly follow this project further and don't mind saying that I wish Harness was half as good as this. Only complaint is that tape is a bit short for how good it is, something like a C30 but another 15 minutes would've been ace.

Hidegkút "Gyerekkor" CS (Throne Heap)
        This is another project I was unaware of before requesting this from Tom in a trade he unexpectedly offered. Again, another one that straddles both "approachable" notions of experimental music (by using melody and very clear fidelity) and the rather vague "noise" end of the spectrum (sounds for their own sake). Here, I'm tempted to use the awful but fitting term "soundscapes" to describe the combination of pure electronic sound with melancholic keyboards and serene field recordings (I would easily rather listen to those unaccompanied, they're immersive and gorgeous; families at the beach, water, natural reverb, birds, insects). On the A-side, there's a pervasive elegiac tone. On the B-side, things become a bit more contented. There are also some voice samples which for me added nothing, maybe a Tarkovsky-film vibe intended there? Could see something like this coming out on Kye or Vitrine. The "musical" elements here don't appeal to me, but I'd gladly listen to a 4xC90 set if this guy just filled them with his unadulterated field recordings.

Antonin Pagaille "Je Suis La Chimère" CS (Throne Heap)
        Have been wanting to check out this project of Mikkel Rørbo for some time, but until now, financially-motivated pickiness has prohibited me. I've heard this described as krautrock, and you know, I still don't really know what that is and am not sure that I care. Overall, though, that description seems pretty accurate as it's synth-based stuff that isn't quite ambient or drone, has a little too much sc-fi movie "throwback" quality for that. Still, it's more minimalist and less wacky than the stuff I've heard labeled "krautrock."
          Very meandering stuff that in some movements settles for too long on certain sounds; this has a lot in common with Maurizio Bianchi's stuff post-1984, like The Plain Truth and Armaghedon. I do enjoy this but have to "qualify" it is lacking the grit, dirt, and sense of focus that Rørbo's other projects have which appeals to me. Cinematic and enveloping in the right mood, however. Could certainly see how this would appeal to movie buffs and the more substance-inclined. Wouldn't mind hearing some earlier material from the project if anyone reading would be up for a trade.

urall

Quote from: Peterson on October 13, 2017, 08:23:31 AM
Sill Image "Finite Line" CS (Throne Heap)
        Really beautiful and precise stuff that showcases the intersection between "accessible" experimental music, musique concrete, and industrial sensibilities. Apparently this is Shane Church, otherwise known as Hostage Pageant and also as one half of Harness, with Luke Tandy. Today, the only real contemporary I could draw a parallel with would be Shredded Nerve, but a few decades ago folks like Organum were also doing stuff like this – that is, carefully-balanced, somewhat minimal stuff that seems very composed, detailed, and both gritty and clear (in terms of fidelity). Acoustic noises like glass, metal, and rocks are accompanied by echo and reverb effects with electronics in the background that are in some cases surprisingly melodic. Excellent stuff, I'll certainly follow this project further and don't mind saying that I wish Harness was half as good as this. Only complaint is that tape is a bit short for how good it is, something like a C30 but another 15 minutes would've been ace.

Hidegkút "Gyerekkor" CS (Throne Heap)
        This is another project I was unaware of before requesting this from Tom in a trade he unexpectedly offered. Again, another one that straddles both "approachable" notions of experimental music (by using melody and very clear fidelity) and the rather vague "noise" end of the spectrum (sounds for their own sake). Here, I'm tempted to use the awful but fitting term "soundscapes" to describe the combination of pure electronic sound with melancholic keyboards and serene field recordings (I would easily rather listen to those unaccompanied, they're immersive and gorgeous; families at the beach, water, natural reverb, birds, insects). On the A-side, there's a pervasive elegiac tone. On the B-side, things become a bit more contented. There are also some voice samples which for me added nothing, maybe a Tarkovsky-film vibe intended there? Could see something like this coming out on Kye or Vitrine. The "musical" elements here don't appeal to me, but I'd gladly listen to a 4xC90 set if this guy just filled them with his unadulterated field recordings.

Antonin Pagaille "Je Suis La Chimère" CS (Throne Heap)
        Have been wanting to check out this project of Mikkel Rørbo for some time, but until now, financially-motivated pickiness has prohibited me. I've heard this described as krautrock, and you know, I still don't really know what that is and am not sure that I care. Overall, though, that description seems pretty accurate as it's synth-based stuff that isn't quite ambient or drone, has a little too much sc-fi movie "throwback" quality for that. Still, it's more minimalist and less wacky than the stuff I've heard labeled "krautrock."
          Very meandering stuff that in some movements settles for too long on certain sounds; this has a lot in common with Maurizio Bianchi's stuff post-1984, like The Plain Truth and Armaghedon. I do enjoy this but have to "qualify" it is lacking the grit, dirt, and sense of focus that Rørbo's other projects have which appeals to me. Cinematic and enveloping in the right mood, however. Could certainly see how this would appeal to movie buffs and the more substance-inclined. Wouldn't mind hearing some earlier material from the project if anyone reading would be up for a trade.

For some reason i the sound samples of Antonin Pagaille didn't convince me to get the tape. I'm not a big fan of too much bleep bleep retro modular stuff..

The other two i did get and were on regular rotation when i first got them. I especially like the Still Image tape - really really good stuff. He has a new tape on Monorail Trespassing as well.

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A "Endzeitkonstruktionen" 2x tape
Neuzeitliche Tonkonstruktionen ‎– NT 60
Box Set compilation two C90's in vhs box with pile of inserts stapled from corner. 1993 release on small obscure German label, who put out shitloads of tapes, but remain totally outside any attention... it seems? This compilation, supposedly 200 was made, but even at discogs almost nobody has it and never been for sale. Line-up is really nice. Some known european names of the time like BRUME, T.A.C., Telepherique, De Fabriek, but also plenty of who-the-fuck-was-this type of names.
Really good tracks by anarchist-experimental group Solanaceae Tau. Track that someone uploaded online, is easily the worst, but still decent. I read their style can go anywhere from industrial-noise to dark-wave. Quite curious what else would be harder side?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GgQ8EzVKL8
ER (also known as Educational Resources). 3 great tracks of industrial-noise collages. Sound of this youtube sample is quite suffocated compared to original tape, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqk4-9q1uCk
Psychotische Fraeunde, with more harsh power electronics type of stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=Pnd5LREPCDU
Die Rache, ((Infected) Wound), Markus Schwill and more. Not everybody is mind blowing, but all the time there is great atmosphere of somehow noisy, low-tech, experimental/industrial. It's never shitty, and constantly there are moments I need to just check out tracklisting who the hell was this good?!
One of De Fabriek tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maIragvhAN8

I got bunch of Neuzeitliche Tonkonstruktionen releases unless remember wrong.. Same for IRRE tape and same era german labels items... At the time, and probably now as well, I don't feel connected to "post-punk" and "kraut" side of labels. Lots of weirdo recordings, but too far from my taste of industrial-noise. Out of countless tapes... what all could be good?

Anyone familiar with Exterminator (1987) by Markus Schwill ? Other works of Solanaceae Tau?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FallOfNature

I know the "Fire" tape from Exterminator quite well.

https://archive.org/details/Exterminator-Fire

More Exterminator and other projects by the same guy can be found on that site for anyone curious.

Currently revisiting lesser known Slaughter Prod releases; Teatro Satanico / Pervas Nefandum, Mortar, Crepuscule...

Crepuscule - Closing Wounds stands out to me from the rest, and has for some time. I can't put my finger on how he's made the sounds a lot of the time. Perhaps old tape machines, tape manipulations, directional mics, etc. I don't have a a real copy but the scans of the inserts that came with it are quite interesting. EVP, embalming procedures and so on.

Baglady

Quote from: Neanderthal on October 15, 2017, 09:08:55 AM
Sewer Election & Schakalens Bror - Guitarred and Feathered Pt. I and II (Team Boro)
I believe Pt. II can still be acquired from the label - DO IT.

Glad you appreciate my label. It's actually sold out from me now. Music Lovers Records still has a bunch of now sold out Team Boro titles though (SE&SB Pt II, Peoples Person, Kakerlak etc.), and the jackal himself has some very limited odd things in stock. Tordon might have a tape or two as well.
https://www.discogs.com/seller/musicloversrecords/profile

There will most likely be a Guitarred And Feathered Pt. III at some point. Don't know when though. It all depends on when Dan J has a hunch and calls for a recording session.

cr

Various - Exasperations (Styggelse) - single sided tape, C46

This is great, fantastic compilation. The winner here for me is Treriksröset. But this could change after further listenings. All tracks are of high quality.
Get it if you don't have it already.

https://www.discogs.com/de/Various-Exasperations/release/10269737

cr

Right now after the Exasperations tape I'm listening to Military Position - Black Noise.
Simple conclusions - M.P. is great as always, and all hail to Trapdoor Tapes!

Though what occupied my player the most the last week, was Mania - Little pieces of violence. No further explanation needed. Simply worshipping this project.

And hey, Bitewerks, did you ever consider to make a book or a larger publication for your collage works?

monotome

Bloated Backdoor ‎– Bad Ass Procrastination (CS, aufname + wiedergabe)
fuck yes, this is the good shit. I know aufname + wiedergabe mostly for it's techno, this is very different. It begins with the rough cut & paste collage artwork and with songtitles like Bleeding Gums and R.F. Appreciation Societee you know it. Vile and agitated post-punk with a lot of noises and electronics with stark humor and nihilistic attitudes. Have to point out the low volume levels though, on Side A it's doable but on side B I have to turn my gain to +15 and it's still to quiet. Have to re-dub it myself I guess.

Crow - C-Bank (CS, NOSTILEVO)
Also post-punk, sometimes, but this is less straight forward, sometimes. Begins with a more experimental sound and resolves into post-punk on side A, and side B is a more drowned out song. I like the songs, but there is sometimes a digital glitch / whitenoise sound effect on top of the mix which is really out of place and horrible. Don't think I will ever hear this one again.

gabalgabow

INSANE ORDER

A grindcore band from north of France,
quite kicking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EinYjXnChPY

burdizzo

Straight Arm Salute/ Veri and Maa 7''
A little bit disappointed w/ SAS's side, which stylistically seems a bit of a relapse to the bare martial/ ambient and growling style of 'The New Rise Of NS', rather than a step forward from the really rather good p.e. of 'Pelka Vihaa'. Not terrible, or anything, but just a bit unsubtle. Veri and Maa, meanwhile, have speeches/ lectures over strong industrial, or martial industrial , even, ambiences. Really nice. Plus their aesthetic is better - a period Aryan lady peering up to a swastika in their cross. Both reference Linkola, though Veri and Maa are less brutish about it. Look forward to something else from them.

FreakAnimalFinland

KONTINENT "No Reverse" tape
Unrest
Really nice and good heavy electronics. Electronics and structures are done with taste and care to detail.

MACRONYMPHA "III" tape
MSNP
Hardly any info about this. C-90 tape. Titled just "III" and has couple good KKK pics in it. Only info is crediting Stella and Roemer as makers. According to discogs, 30 copies made by Stella back in 2010. But I doubt it's ltd 30 as Stella has it still available, I doubt edition this small wouldn't sell in 7 years! See classifieds elsewhere on the forum. What is this material? New, old? I guess old. Blasting harsh noise. Good stuff all the way. It offers nothing extremely different or unusual, but simply good value for money in form of busy and aggressive harshness.

AGONAL LUST "Body Of Death" tape
USA power electronics, what looks and sounds that it could be strongly influenced by Alfarmania. Perhaps one element is Olsson's cover art, but also sound itself. Long brooding tracks with samples, synth patters, aggressive vocals shouting kind of last Deathpile or current Scatmother way of as-aggro-as-possible all the time. You can follow the lyrics, though. Listened this few times and I like what I hear. They seem to have clear idea what to do and how to get it done, but at the same time, at this moment material stands out most of all for being well done. Not for offering something what would appear more personal. It's sort of feeling, that when you got good usa harsh noise tape in mid 90's, that may have been great, but in other hand felt like it need more to stand out. As anonymous 2015+ postmortem tape of lust and death - of course satisfactory to those who appreciate style.

SIEGE ELECTRONICS "New Resistance" tape
Gutter Disease
While Agonal Lust takes good care of all detail of sound and presentation, Siege Electronics to me is sort of hit & miss project. At best, it sounds like it is the Uk reposnse for Operation Cleansweep and Sektion B kind of stuff. And in other hand, it feels as if there was a bit too much of cliches combined with nearly glitchy sounding software(?) and multi-efx unit oscillations. As I like the style of "heavy electronics", Siege Electronics has often - and this time too - offered enough to be decent listening. But if looking from objectively...  If the electronics are missing all the good taste and utmost care presented by projects like Kevlar, and also missing the skill of fine detail like Agonal Lust...  Nevertheless, heavy harmonic bolts of synth-electronics layered with samples and vocals about topics people like myself tend to be interested in. What else one needs? Just to do it little better I guess! Little bit more of own identity never hurts.

H.Ö.H. "Random bursts 16-17" tape
Unofficial tape, not meant for circulation. 2016 and 2017 this project issued some tapes and these are some of the "leftovers" what didn't fit to tapes. Why left overs? Who knows. It is of course artists duty to be the one to decide when tape is complete, but these short tracks - by outsiders perception - could have fitted in other tapes. And that means: They rule. Anyone who have been exposed to ultra simplistic and broken crude gutter noise of this project, should be satisfied. And curiously, it is not even merely "more of the same", but really giving rather distinctive bursts recorded on both sides. Lets hope this material emerges part of some actual release!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ritualabuser

Any contact for the Agonal Lust tape? Looks self-released and has already reached judeoprices on discocks.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: ritualabuser on October 26, 2017, 03:20:07 AM
Any contact for the Agonal Lust tape? Looks self-released and has already reached judeoprices on discocks.

AGONAL LUST tape:

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=8285.0