PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadpriest

The Muse by Sutcliffe Jugend is so good I can hardly bare to listen to it.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

ConcreteMascara

Mania - Little Pieces of Violence CD - Phage Tapes - it's hard to say what makes one Mania release better than the next, but something about this album has a perfect balance of all the things I enjoy about Mania. crisp and clear sound which serves the metal work so well; fried electrical fizzing; those weird low end synths; and of course, vocal eruptions from beneath it all. there's an actual sense of album progression and things really pick up in the 2nd half of the CD. the aforementioned Klute sample in the last track makes it the stand out for me. I love that movie and the track has the most effective atmosphere of dread and violence. this is just hitting me perfectly. highly recommended.

Mania / Bloomer - Ready to Do Damage LP - Gaping Hole - only had a chance to listen to the a-side which is the collab portion. good stuff, not super brutal but very damaged sounding which I dig. looking forward to playing the b-side tonight.

Anenzephalia - Noehaem LP - Tesco - got this album super cheap a year or two ago. I've started to prefer it over everything else. even though it's simpler in a certain sense than other Anenzephalia material, and less aggressive, the atmosphere is unrivaled. anyone have the tape re-issue with the extra track? is it worth picking up for that?

Transgressor - Ether for Scapegoat Cassette - Hexed Cemetery - great reissue of this early Japanese death metal album. picked this up 2 years ago and it's grown on me since. The album is solid, but unusual in sound. it's not very "heavy" in terms of brutality or slowness/speed or production. it's more weird and twisting than anything. it's easy to hear ideas that would later be developed more in Anatomia, albeit at a much slower tempo. on this re-issue comp tracks are added to the end of the tape, while not necessary, they're a nice addition. they are more aggressive and straight forward. if you're into Japanese death metal, or just weirder death metal generally, I definitely recommend this one.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Deadpriest

Worryingly I got up and listened to The Victim As Beauty by Sutcliffe Jugend
I am now listening to Bleeding Head Wound by Richard Ramirez
Prior to that my inner hunchback was desperate to (and did) hear VHS Rip by Rummaging

Soon, Biocyst.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Ashmonger on March 19, 2017, 01:52:25 AM
Beyond Enclosure - Dungeon of Total Void (CD, Malignant Records): Bleak, rather claustrophobic PE/Death Industrial, rumbling synths, emotionless vocals. Good stuff!

Maybe little surprising that this has not been mentioned more? There is perhaps some relation to Sektor 304. If nothing else, then at least Coelho mentioned as guy who mixed it. I know it could appear lame to make comparison to Puce Mary, AntiChildLeague and such, just because there is female responsible for commando, electronics, devices, metal etc., but there is some similarities beyond gender. At the same time, it hardly requres to be compared with them. You could also describe this to be tasty s/m themed industrial. At the same time traditionally industrial, but at the same time almost surprising to be on Malignant Records as level of physicality and noisiness gets to very different levels than one can usually expect from labels releases.

Lots of piercing feedback, brutal cold electronics echoing in chamber, repeating patterns of rhythms, but not beats or anything danceable. Sound quality feels as if this was recorded live or some other ways than simply line-in or software based. Some synths feel simulations, but even they are blurred with sound quality byond "virtual effects". Not blown up analogue tape, but this slightly tinny and distant feeling makes it better than many clean sounding releases. At the same time, it doesn't have crunchy and loud pressure.

I'd surely recommend to check out.

HALTHAN "Strength Throught Dis-ease" tape
Obscurex
Best Halthan? I guess so! I'd dare to say that musically, this must be the moment when Halthan finally lives up to all expectations. Really well done, good and grim post-mortem / industrial-waste / power electronics. Fine traditions of The Grey Wolves, Survival Unit, and so on. Perhaps even little bit of Con-Dom type of feel. Multi-layered textures with actually good sound and interesting compositions of sound. Vocals could blend in a bit better, but otherwise one could say that I'd be surprised if someone wouldn't be into offering full length for band after this...

Various ‎– Drone-Mind // Mind-Drone Vol. 2 LP
Various ‎– Drone-Mind // Mind-Drone Vol. 3 LP
Various ‎– Drone-Mind // Mind-Drone Vol. 4 LP

Drone Records
Been fan of Drone Records 7"s, but never before I listened this "new" series of compilation LP's. Basically same idea. 4 artists per LP giving them length of 7" to deal with. What we have here, lacks the personality of individual 7", but at the same time, my strong assumption is that vast majority of people rather listen LP than four 7"s? On negative side, I don't like the design, but as positive side, this allows Drone Records to keep putting out drone and experimental sound on vinyl, in affordable and listener friendly format. I feel that forcing drone projects to submit into relatively short format is good. No 70 minute pieces of slowly evolving minimalism, but you got 10 min max. Show what you got. Other succeed. Other far from perfect. General rule to me is: The less software, the less contemporary gear in general - the better.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

pentd

re: drone

once sir särkkä of kaukana väijyy ambient label was playin DJ set of ambient/hypno stuff. bag full of drone records records (heh) and playin 2 at the same time. changing speeds and fading back and forth between decks, but goin mostly with 2 playin on top of each other -- brilliant!!

cr

Discordance - Supremacy CD

PE-Project by Gabriele Giuliani (Dead Body Love). Damn good! Lots of feedback and nasty vocals.

Euro Trash Bazooka

BRB - Der Gipfel Der Genüsse tape

German noisecore classic from 1992, goes from wild short blasts of brutality to silly samples of children songs in German, butchered "Personal Jesus" cover (of Depeche Mode), random noise, and more brutal blasts.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

impulse manslaughter

Francisco Lopez; i have some of his untitled pieces and was listening to them today. I find it really hard to make up my mind about this artist. One dimensional, monotonous sounds + lack of packaging and/or information makes it really hard to get in his material. On the other hand, some of his stuff sounds nice..

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: cr on October 01, 2017, 05:36:57 PM
Discordance - Supremacy CD

PE-Project by Gabriele Giuliani (Dead Body Love). Damn good! Lots of feedback and nasty vocals.

Yes, i love this one too! For those who do not have it; lots of cheap copies around..

Deadpriest

Am currently listening to The Tom Smith and Kevin Drum(m?) collab. which is absolutely absolutely absolutely amazing completely dense and constantly permutating
prior I was listening to a bit of Aaron Dilloway, Taeter and lots of Filthy Turd. I also checked out Peterson's Im Blau - Nocturnes​/​Etudes which I thought was very cool.

Deadpriest

Sete Star Sept - Messenger From The Darkness: Grindcore turned in a slurry, loving it.
Satyricon - Nemesis Divinia - Overly produced, overly melodic artefact from my past.

Kayandah

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on October 02, 2017, 01:24:48 AM
Francisco Lopez; i have some of his untitled pieces and was listening to them today. I find it really hard to make up my mind about this artist. One dimensional, monotonous sounds + lack of packaging and/or information makes it really hard to get in his material. On the other hand, some of his stuff sounds nice..

I have way too many of his releases and its hard to remember what one "untitled" release sounds like compared to all the other "untitled" releases. But, couple years back he released a series of field recordings from various jungle/forest locations and I would highly recommend them. His album of New York tower recordings from 2001 is still a great late night listen

Kayandah

Showing my age but been listening to a lot of Sisters of Mercy. In a way its pure flashback memories and some of it is cheezy as hell to listen to now, or maybe because it became such a stereotype of goth music, but in a way you can't beat it for a dose of eighties goth.

There was one goth band - Masochistic Religion - who took the sisters template and simply slowed it down. Had a soft spot for that record though not sure what I'd think if I listened to it now.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on October 02, 2017, 01:24:48 AM
Addy En El País De Las Frutas Y Los Chunches (1997) and La Selva (1998), Buildings [New York] (2001), and Wind [Patagonia] (2007), which I believe is considered a trilogy.  I'd recommend giving those a try.  Buildings is my least favorite of those four.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

CRYPTOFASCISME "La Bombe A Francaise" tape
VIOLENT SHOGUN -tape
self released
Guy who is also on this forum, not sure does he want to be identified with these works, but probably no secret? Accompanying letter said that there are just dubs made for me, and not actual releases since he doubts anyone would care.
Well, I could convince different! While lay-out has little punk-esque feel, musically, these works has been really killer stuff. Not harsh noise. Not straight out power electronics. But something what falls into old spirit of industrial-experimental-postmortem tape culture. French nuclear experiments in algerian deserts is accompanied with suitable music.
Both of releases operate on rather basic tools. Loops, electronics, samples, etc etc. But at least dubbed on tape, really neat "hand made" feel to material. Not too fancy effects. Not too carefully edited. It doesn't have the brute tough guy element, but it looks into somehow controversial moments in history of mankind, from perspective of its creator.
Both tapes are different, but also have some similar qualities to them. Violent Shogun with synth, tapes, loops, etc. At first I felt that this could be quite close to Mark Solotroff Surgigal Stainless Steel, but then it got more diverse.
Both tapes have covers, so if one is interested, I strongly recommend to get in touch with this guy. Also labels seeking for something new - stuff easily beats many of cd's put out these days!

More obscure tapes one could point out as worth to try grab:

INSTINCT PRIMAL "Tassili" tape
Nova Alternativa 01
Highly electronics works. Occasionally noisy, often atmospheric, but slightly hard to fully categorize it. Experimental electronics, should I say? Four short tracks makes up C-20 tape.

HIROSHI HASEGAWA / INSTINCT PRIMAL split tape
Nova Alternativa 03
There is topic elsewhere about Hasegawa. My conclusion had been that despite there has been changes, it's not like with some other old timers, that it goes for worse. No. Actually some of Hasegawas works are among best he has ever done! This piece is leans more to textural ambient. Not as simple as some of the Astro. Maybe without baggage of needing to be oscillating drone, under own name can have various ways to approach. Again I feel tape benefits for material. Same for Instinct Primal. So carefully adjusted clean and pure sounds, including electronics, field recordings, etc. - but on tape, there is little extra saturation and dirt what simply adds another dimension to sound.

HECATE "Absolution" tape
Nova Alternativa 04
Same could be said about this! I was expecting something more... ehm.. gothic? This is rather hi-tech and clean sounding, but at the same time it's atmospheric electronic. Too busy to be "just ambient". Too vivid and active to be dark ambient. Too technological to be really on same category with various ritual music groups. I listened this 3 times in row. Not sure what qualities made me want to keep flipping side over and over again. Just I liked what I heard.

Each comment quite vague, but in short: Recommended for anyone looking for little different kind of stuff what many currently popular tape labels put out.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net