PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadpriest

Watched the Clinic Of Torture set from the IoPS dvd again last night. 
Holy fuck!! What an experience for eyes and ears!! Absolutely brutal sheets of harsh noise with the sobs and howls of the slaves(?) being tortured in the astonishing video playing behind Mikko mixed in through out. These dvds fucking slay.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Deadpriest on August 25, 2017, 05:00:31 PM
Watched the Clinic Of Torture set from the IoPS dvd again last night. 

Those who are interested in IOPS dvdr's, most parts are still available even if they are not currently listed in nhfastore. They can be also found from F&V distribution.

JEPH JERMAN "Rundle" tape
Banned Productions
That old tape of Hands To was great, but so are these later days Jeph releases! Often ultra minimal, focused on atmosphere of single sound or situation. He made great field recordings where hardly anything happens. Just pure joy of hearing something what mr. Jerman recognized as interesting sound, and then just lets it be. Two tracks here. One per side. Rundle - one meaning being wheel or rotating object. Tracks are titled "of iron" and "of brass". It clearly describes object used, and for 15 minutes he... well, uses it. One side calm, other one with added feedback'ish resonance of painful levels. Excellent tape.

REPTILE WOMB "The Wampyric Specter" tape
Blood splattered covers look exactly like black metal demo covers. Featuring Harald Mentor of Will Over Matter in line-up. Is it his presence or simply that R.W. is evolving, but this is clearly projects best tape. Both visually and sonically. Dark and grim black industrial. Especially on b-side, I get impression there is more usage of movie soundtrack fragments, or did they actually do it all from scratch? Nevertheless, after CD and couple tapes, R.W. starts to actually be much more notheworthy and easy to recommend for those into "black industrial".

ALFARMANIA "LVM" tape
Styggelse
After their brilliant latest gig in Finland, have digged up few Alfarmania titles to listen. This, already 10 years ago, presents well the project. It's hard to make very detailed review of Alfarmania stuff, without concluding that there is very similar atmosphere in his releases. It's not saying it all the same, but certain aesthetics, type how sound is created and overall atmosphere, makes reviewing single tape quite useless. You pretty much know what you will get, but also it's won't be exactly same.

ENVENOMIST "Hidden" tape
Bloodlust
2006 - year when label made probably around 40 releases..? This was crazy era anyway. Next couple years pace of label was equally brutal. Last half of the decade label put out roughly 200 titles? In such flood, individual releases tend to disappear. Like what is the relevance of ltd 50 copies tape of Envenomist? Well, it was reissued on CDR two year later. I prefer tape. Half copies probably disappeared in hands of people briefly visiting new wave of american noise scene. Tape is good, though. 60 minutes, 7 tracks of gloomy synth works. Dark ambient? Hmm.. not sure. It's echoing, very much tonal, and musical, yet barely "cosmic" synthworks. There are no swirling psychedelia, nor brute industrial feel. But neither airy drifting of soft ambient muzak. So may I repeat: good tape!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Deadpriest

Today I'm going to listen to the LHD discography.

cr

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 26, 2017, 01:52:43 PM
Blood splattered covers look exactly like black metal demo covers. Featuring Harald Mentor of Will Over Matter in line-up. Is it his presence or simply that R.W. is evolving, but this is clearly projects best tape. Both visually and sonically. Dark and grim black industrial. Especially on b-side, I get impression there is more usage of movie soundtrack fragments, or did they actually do it all from scratch? Nevertheless, after CD and couple tapes, R.W. starts to actually be much more notheworthy and easy to recommend for those into "black industrial".

Sounds great, I like Reptile Womb. Is this already available somewhere?

ritualabuser

Quote from: cr on August 26, 2017, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 26, 2017, 01:52:43 PM

Sounds great, I like Reptile Womb. Is this already available somewhere?

This tape was a private release and is actually a split with The Wampyric Specter, who is the artist on the B-side. The tracks on this split are gonna be released in their live form from the recent Kontti gig (additionally noisefucked by Harald Mentor) sometime in the near future.

Peterson

Run For Omniphobia "unreleased untitled 30 min. piece" 2016
   Apparently the trio of Eddie Giles (Defective/Final Solution), John Grimaldi (Hand & Knee/Defective), and Jay Howard (Circuit Wound); what I thought might be some kind of harsh noise or power electronics turns out to be some pretty bold "experimental" sound collage-type stuff. Pretty damn good, too, with a strange fidelity that's neither clear nor lo-fi, but is "wide" and well-mixed. Starts off on the more bedroom-y guitar and tapes side of things, but I hear everything from unidentifiable mystery sounds to tape-processed feedback, to synthesizer tone snippets, to field recordings, to stringed/bowed instruments that seem to morph into stretched cymbal percussion sounds. Shit, considering all that, this isn't far from what I've heard of John Cale or Angus MacLise's experiments pre- and post-Velvet Underground. At one point, some unintelligible vocals chatter about something drenched in reverb right before a section I can only compare to H.N.A.S. or at the moment, Umgreifende. There are lot of skillful edits leading to  busier if quieter sections that  also draw the comparison. In thirty minutes, it meanders a bit, but still immersive and you forget what you're listening to. I really enjoy that. Hard to tell what sort of equipment is being used re: analog vs. digital, samplers vs. tapes, and so on. That's a good thing. Hard to tell the origin/source of a lot of the sounds, that's always a good thing. For fans of: If, Bwana, Urdwygg The Goldrr, Ultra.

Run For Ominphobia "Assembly Bill 109" Cdr (Submersive Productions)
   First piece goes back-and-forth between sections of synthesier melody ala Suicide to synthesizer noise for long sections ala very early Whitehouse. Normally anything that'd draw those comparisons at once would get my attention pretty well, but there's not a lot going on. This isn't bad, but really needs some vocals or just other accompaniment. I guess on the other hand I somewhat admire the "bold minimalism," to borrow a phrase from a pal.
   Odd pulsing and beeping paired with a mumbled background voice opens the second track prior to a sort of Krautrock-type noisy synthesizer loop. I guess I might "get" what's being done here, now, and I like the minimalist and no wave/krautrock approach. Again, this is like if Whitehouse in their earlier days were doing something other than what could be called Power Electronics. Pretty repetetive for it's minimalism by today's standards, but fans of Will Over Matter might have something to find here. When things kick into some odd "squiggly" electronics against a somewhat unexpected quicker rhythm, only to disintegrate into arcs of descending tones, the inevitable Maurizio Bianchi comparison occurs, but that's not a bad thing when handled correctly. In this case, it also has that in common with "Milles Collines" by Cryptofascisme.It's really hard to tell how this was recorded, which again, adds to the appeal/mystery.  Certainly some of the weirdest bare-bones industrial-type stuff I've heard recently. Hard to recommend this, but it's worth hearing because it's that weird and idiosyncratic.

Run For Omniphobia "Executive Order 13603" Cdr (Submersive Productions)
   Apparently recorded and assembled over a 15-year period between 2002 and now? I guess it sounds like it, because this stuff resembles more closely weird experimental Japanese stuff than anything familiar to me or going on right now in terms of vogue underground whatever. This is some pretty surreal, drugged-sounding cut-up and long-form sound collage type stuff with more emphasis on the musical side than the non-musical experimental. Edits are slower, sections are longer, many parts have rhythms, actual beats, or progressions that approach melody but don't quite arrive there. This is stuff with an almost cinematic, soundtrack sort of feeling that gets a bit David Lynch at times but would work better as a backdrop for Only God Forgives, but if Gaspar Noe had directed it instead Windig-Refn. The only part which took me out of the trance this had me in was a sample of a somebody reading from the Dr. Seuss book Green Eggs and Ham, which seems intentionally out-of-place, but still. Come on. Definitely weird and challenging stuff, but not quite with a lasting impact. I'll still listen to this a few more times.

Hand & Knee "Orphaned Road" and "Scorched" CS (Submersive Productions)
   Pretty weird combination of abstract/musique concrete, droning industrial, and almost-PE-type electronics and vocals. Everything moving at a noticeable but still slow pace, drenched in distortion, with a grainy, familiar texture reminding me of certain mid-period Prurient and some other Hospital Productions projects. Both releases seem to have a tendency to lapse from one piece into the next, making transitions hard to distinguish, but in a more fluid sense on the latter release, with a more meandering pace on the former. The former, "Orphaned Road" seems to incorporate more acoustic clatter while "Scorched" emphasizes the PE elements that at some points remind me just a little bit of, say, Control. Both have the same static-laden, lo-fi quality that sometimes gets a little monotonous but fits the character pretty well. I seem to like the latter collection more, that said. Good stuff from John Grimaldi, one half of Defective and Run For Omniphobia. I think this might appeal to fans of the Annihilus roster (NTT etc).

Defective "Piecemeal Social Engineering" CS (Submersive Productions)
   Sharp and abrasive PE/noise duo of Eddie Giles (also known as E.J. from Final Solution) and John Grimaldi, of Hand & Knee (mentioned above). Pretty good, if "typically American" sounding stuff that eschews usual sexual or degenerate subject matter in favor of a sort of outsider social analysis/commentary. If I'm not mistaken, the spoken vocals are done by Eddie while John does the shouts/commands. I like this duo approach, in that the sound covers territory like say Deathpile or Control, but also weirder, lo-fi experimental and industrial noise that almost reminds me of Macronmypha or Stimbox in their crudest moments. Lots of distortion that again for me recalls very old Prurient, maybe stuff like History  of A.I.D.S.-era. More diverse sounds than the first couple tracks seem to let on. Psychologically maladaptive sound wherein the vocals seem to take on a lot of moods, from confident Grunt-type shouting to desperate pleading like old Ramleh. I haven't heard too much Hydra, but something tells me this could very well appeal to fans of Greg Scott's stuff. Check this out if you're into anything Wonderland Club has come out with recently, in terms of "actual band" PE, this isn't bad at all. On the B-side, this ends up closer to say, Con-Dom than the other material either artist is known for. Overall both very traditional and surprising/experimental. Stuff like this is why low-key stuff can sometimes be more intriguing that names you already know and love. I ask to you: what is meant by "guttertronics" and "kipple?!"

Walter Khan "From Nothing To Nothing" CS (Vanity Recordings, 2017)
   Artist describes this as "austere and isolated electronics," which conjures very different things in my mind than what this ended up sounding like, but his description is definitely still accurate. FOR FANS OF OLD RAMLEH!! Minimal as hell and everything drenched in echo and reverb rather than distortion/fuzz, with shouted/pleaded vocals that both rise above and bleed into the surrounding drones and feedback. All electronic devices used sound very simple and as if they're not functioning properly. Sound completely emphasizes dread and severity rather than aggression and violence, although the vocals do verge on vicious, Strict-type screaming at some moments, eventually degrading into this sort of pathetic, squawking/groaning sound, and I mean that in the best way possible. This sounds as troubled and unstable as early Sutcliffe Jugend sounds vicious and energetic. I very much enjoy this kind of thing, as it's really obviously only suitable for certain types of dispositions and attention spans. This isn't for normal or undisturbed individuals. If prescribed medication doesn't work for you, perhaps this will...RECOMMENDED!

Zeno Marx

Witch Vomit - The Webs of Horror 2014

what's the story with Witch Vomit? they have a good sense for the grimy side of Swedish death metal.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Baglady

EDWIGE - The Inconsolable Widow Thanks All Those Who Consoled Her promo CS
Got this from Dan when he cleaned out some space at home. Tape version that was meant to be sent out to labels and venue people or something like that, but I'm not sure the 10 copies were even sent to the other boys in the band? Completely blown out, in the red, and wihtout the "clarity"of the actual LP which came a year later. It's almost like an entirely different album. The muddy quality actually puts it closer to the self titled tape on HHR (now LP on Urashima) than the album it later became. Great stuff.

FreakAnimalFinland

THE GREY WOLVES & MACRONYMPHA "Slash" tape
If there is one absolute a must to be made -reissue, it's this tape. 60 minute tape with 14 tracks. If you compare to Grey Wolves/JFK material or such, this is simply so damn good. It is far more in the vein of Grey Wolves. Structured, yet raw industrial songs, yet including the brutalizing power of Macronympha as well. There are no plain harsh noise sessions here. 1993. It's same year as Sudden Infant / Grey Wolves / Macronympha -  Interzone 3 was, but even better. Lineage puts this between The Grey Wolves 1st and 2nd albums and among rather early Macronympha titles. Both artists being blossoming at their best. Originally issued on David Padbury's Sol Niger label. Wider distribution nowadays would be excellent! I got the MSNP Stella reissue version. Could be still available?

BLISTER PACK "Trini's Wad" tape
MSNP
Not as intense as their other tape, but still, mid 90's USA harsh noise, leaning towards slightly Masonna type (due high pitched wild vocals), but still far more USA sounding than Japanese. Not as heavy as debut, but still excellent material to listen to!

FLOWERDAY "Girl On Film" tape
Cathartic Process
One has to admit, that for noise-head, decent blast of harshness is enough. It may work out just fine, without delivering anything special. But despite heaviness, despite in-your-face aggression, although also nearly bordering wall-noise.... it's fine, but after high energy blast of Blister Pack or utmost industrial-noise masterpiece of GW/Macro, could this somehow deliver? Not really. Compared to releases above, it's flat, one-dimensional and totally predictable without offering the final punch and energy what "generic material" would need. Still, it's plays fine on the background as anonymous rumbling wall.

JARL "Negative Foundation" tape
Abisko
Despite Jarl must be known mostly of his CD's, I must say that he benefits on doing tapes. And benefits on label like Abisko. Material is already rather old. 2000-2001, but somehow being on tape, it just makes me think could this be the best Jarl ? His output has been very solid. When you buy Jarl, you know what you will get. Loops. Lots of loops. Minimal song structures. If any. On tape, little extra saturation, perhaps including also other things than loops, it works really nicely.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Deadpriest

I listened to the whole of Dead Body Parts by Dead Body Collection (fucking world). Some of the darkest HNW I've ever heard.

HNW always sounds like it's just Intensified.

Maybe not so much the static stuff but that was what was in my heart.

Thought I, intermittently.

Peterson

Nullfunction "An Act of Violence" 2xCS (Harmony Audio-Visual)
        Explicit political views on either side of the spectrum in music have never bothered me, I might even say that they attract me, given a little finesse and passion (rather than simple anger or resentment which anyone can relate to). Let it be known I consume left-wing slanted materials as equally often as right-wing ones. This happens to be the former. While the Woody Guthrie quote is generally overused, it seems sincere in this case. Here we have what feels like solemn, reverent power electronics which mourn the loss of fallen comrades in arms. I may not entirely fall on this side of the fence, but I can only respect the notion of mourning soldiers actually fighting for a cause they actually believe in. Tracks around the 7-10 minute mark, making me wonder why it was divided into two tapes, but the elegance of the set and the dedication to two specific individuals gives the design purpose. Anyway, sounds are more focused and developed than the previous "Introduction To Nullfunction" C90 I'd heard – mysterious buzzing/crumbling electronics that explode and recede into the background, saturated and reverb-drenched vocals; of course, a bereaved and elegiac atmosphere. Those who enjoyed the Walter Khan "From Nothing To Nothing" tape on Vanity recordings would do well to check this out, but I can't see it doing much for many others. Minimalist reactionary PE.

Will Over Matter "Aino Kassinen/Ultra" CS (reissue, Haamu Records)
        You can always count on WOM to deliver some of the weirdest minimalism. In this case, it's hard to tell how these spurting/farting noises were even generated – analog synthesizer? Some old computer? Finger on cable with some kind of pedal attatched? Bass guitar with pedals? I mean that in the best way possible; weird/awkward should be a good thing in truly experimental music. Anyway, there is this great little "melody" lurking in the backround making me wonder "how the hell was this recorded?" I truly wish that more folks would "dare" enough to do this kind of odd, rhythmic minimalist stuff instead of actively trying to impress themselves or the listener. I love this "take it or leave it" kind of thing. Second piece is warbly, bird-like machine-microtone sounds; some foreground whirring and some high-pitched lines further back. Things change into grainy buzz and "laser" pulsing after a bit. One might wonder if there's any ritualistic or edifying application for this other than appreciating quiet, strange noises. If it weren't so short altogether, I'd say this stuff has meditative potential, but at 15 minutes total, no way. For fans of MB with zero attention span!

Will Over Matter "Toisesta Maailmasta" CS (Freak Animal)
        Opens with conversation in Finnish garbed through Donald Duck voice effect. Did a double-take at that, nothing Big City Orchestra did ever made me that surprised! Then the dialogue continues in normal voices, appearing to be an older man talking to some kid. Seems to be elder giving wisdom to young pupil or descendant. Obviously I'm not cultured enough to understand what they're saying, certainly if so, this would have more context. Rythmic pattern creeps in the background alongside grainy, subtle noise. Is this a precursor to "Visa Jo Toteutus?" Oddly, I notice the filtered conversation from the beginning continues at low volume in the background – what??
        Noise bursts become more intrustive as "rhythm" develops a bit. Morse-code-type enveloped sounds becoming more active, moving to front/top, before disappearing to let dialogue again continue...which moves aside quicky for more buzzing, mid-range electronic signals. I can only assume some of the electronics here are homemade devices, tones that build only slightly. Beautiful feedback lines float quietly in the background and eventually rise a bit. This is like the feeling I got at age 16 being introduced to Whitehouse's "Asceticists," then later hearing "Birthdeath Experience;" total "what the fuck," but fulfillingly so. Making something out of hardly anything. Why would you overpay for old Broken Flag tapes when you have stuff like this coming out currently?

H.Ö.H. "Palva Kulettaja" CS (self-released)
        Six untitled tracks. Ghostly humming and subtle shifting, clunking acoustic noises. What's happening and how it's recorded (as in tracked vs. "live"), no real idea. Maybe involves a piezo mic, your guess is as good as mine. Some sounds "up close" microtones, others more distant, noticeable. Some sounds of tapes overblown and maybe being manually tweaked. Next piece similar but louder, more active – like those TV+radio sound collages people did as kids (well, I did), except with real character/flavor. Background high-end ringing tones and loops. Third piece sounds like gritty cable buzz with...some broken device...or a helium balloon run through garbled tape? Hell if I know. Half the Vitrine releases aim for this kind of thing but fall so far short. Warbling and clicking unidentifiable noises sound as if generated by a machine with zero purpose, some Max Ernst sketch made into an actual object or something. Rhythmic generator hiss in background. Obscure high-end whine/brassy sound. Envy is an emotion I don't often feel, but shit, can't help myself here.
   Twisting, warbled noises open B-side; Bianchi eat your heart out. Again, nice balance between distance and presence, and of course, no idea how this is done. Mysterious bass-heavy buzz and some not-unpleasant beeping. Odd cuts over low background hum. Audible use of stop/pause buttons ( = YES, PLEASE!). Grainier textures then come in, sounding like radio static but not some typical bullshit. Odd "knocking" pulse sound intermittent. Squawking/scraping noises intrude but still quietly before sounding almost like an amplified viola or cello...or tape-ruined orchestral music, on loop? Again, hell if I know. One thing I feel certain saying is that I don't see how you could be into tape-as-instrument stuff and not like or at least track down this project.

Next up: more Defective, more Cryptofascisme, remaining H.Ö.H. discography, maybe a noisecore binge if time permits...to paraphrase the film Airplane, "looks like I picked the wrong week to quit coffee."

FallOfNature

Various  ‎– Estheticks Of Cruelty - An Explicit Odyssey Into Swedish Agricultural Sounds
CMI compilation of Swedish artists, on the Industrial/PE ends of the spectrum mostly. Great tracks from Iron Justice, Irgun Z'wai Leumi, Treriksröset... some OK stuff from Institut.

Various  ‎– How Terrorists Kill
Consistent selection of killer tracks here. Operation Cleansweep, ASP, Grey Wolves, Slogun, Valefor (pre goth era), Wertham, Macronympha... inclusion of Robert X. Patriot tracks ruined the flow in my opinion. Never listened to said project to any great depth but I feel like he was taking the piss here.

Various  ‎– G.A.S.K.R.I.E.G.

Extremely strong material from Dagda Mor, Megaptera, Les Joyaux De La Princesse.... vibe ruined by a few artists however for me,

Tommy Carlsson

Quote from: Baglady on August 29, 2017, 11:02:35 AM
Got this from Dan when he cleaned out some space at home. Tape version that was meant to be sent out to labels and venue people or something like that, but I'm not sure the 10 copies were even sent to the other boys in the band? Completely blown out, in the red, and wihtout the "clarity"of the actual LP which came a year later. It's almost like an entirely different album. The muddy quality actually puts it closer to the self titled tape on HHR (now LP on Urashima) than the album it later became. Great stuff.

Not that it matters much, since noone is going to find the tape anyway, but....  you must have a bad dupe, Erik. Listening to my copy, it's not as muddy as you say, it's not all in the red, and yeah -- it sounds very similar to the LP, why wouldn't it?

I'm a huge fan of this recording. When Dan sent me the tape I was blown away, and we decided pretty much the same day that this should be an LP. Excellent recording, get the cheapo CD version from Millstone (it's only SEK 29 ffs) if you don't have it already...

Baglady

Quote from: Tommy Carlsson on September 01, 2017, 01:59:03 PM
Quote from: Baglady on August 29, 2017, 11:02:35 AM

Not that it matters much, since noone is going to find the tape anyway, but....  you must have a bad dupe, Erik. Listening to my copy, it's not as muddy as you say, it's not all in the red, and yeah -- it sounds very similar to the LP, why wouldn't it?

I'm a huge fan of this recording. When Dan sent me the tape I was blown away, and we decided pretty much the same day that this should be an LP. Excellent recording, get the cheapo CD version from Millstone (it's only SEK 29 ffs) if you don't have it already...

Yeah, definitely a sub par dupe. Not powerless though, just completely spräckt. I love the LP, one of the best harsh albums of the '00s. Might have to get the CD version as backup, now that you mention it...

NaturalOrthodoxy

AUGURE CONCRET - An Act of Desperation

https://augureconcret.bandcamp.com/releases

Discovered through a SI forum user's signature. Really good P.E., hard vocals, good variety of sounds and structure.