PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

"...As good as Bladh is as vocalist, after all, he has nearly one way of doing his delivery. Vocal rhythm, tone, and intensity is almost identical from album to album."

That's exactly what kills his work for me.

Last night was a couple of Eric Lunde tapes: "Operative" & Trait "Acephalia". Not sure if Trait is Lunde plus others or just him. "Operative" is mostly tape experiments & spoken word. Definitely not sounds created to listen to but more like research projects. "Acephalia" is more 'noise music'. There's loops, voice, & percussion. Sounds like some of it is live performances.

david lloyd jones

am not 'the developing world'.
the sounds, smooth, power electronics via industrial, making for an aggressive yet coherent product.
the lyrics/vocals explore the capitalist costs.
too drunk to go into specifics, but this is a superb release in the industrial/pe vein of go, recent unrest acts, etc.
ps, lovely pamphlet with lp.

re:evolution

It has been 2 years since I posted a review link here. Where did that time go?

Anyway, here is a link to the latest review, being a pinnacle release in recent years: https://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/2017/07/02/con-dom-how-welcome-is-death-to-i-who-have-nothing-more-to-do-but-die/

There are also plenty more reviews on the site if you have not had a look anytime recently.
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

NIT

KRUELECO - REGNO cassette

Well executed harsh noise with a black metal influence from this Italian unit. Several tracks employ BM style drumming, something I have not heard done in this context and it works well. Krueleco is foremost a HN concern and bears no resemblance to the usual crossover between these styles in which we often hear BM musicians poorly imitating HN or PE sounds. Much attention is given to clear and punishing production, and clearly a lot of thought and work went into this release. There is a newer track by this project on SoundCloud which moves toward a more textural, almost glitchy sound, still very harsh and well produced.  Sounds promising. 

MODERN - FINAL cassette

Rough and textural sounds of cryptic origin. Early electronic and tape music provides a point of reference but there is nothing imitative or backward looking here. At times sounds are suggestive of actions or events, but the nature of these is never obvious. I often play this short cassette, look forward to more work from Josh in the future.

V/A  - WE GAVE THEM THE FUTURE BUT THEY WANTED THE PAST cassette

Well known, I hope, how great this one is. In pretty constant rotation.

TRI FUNCTION MILLION/UT - SPLIT LP

This is an exciting release. I won't even try to describe it but it is well worth your time. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED

MILITARY POSITION - ANTI HUMAN cassette

Heavy and primitive PE. Great sounds and textures, effective vocals, simple and powerful. Many repeat listens here.

Johann

All the recent 3" CD talk got me thinking to go through mine, always like the format. Good lengths and sometimes very interesting packaging, particularly if your dealing with labels like Banned Production...

Small Cruel Party : Koilos : a distressed paper package with a small sticker holding it shut. Inside a photo of some cave in France. The release starts off quiet, gotta really crank it to hear it. Sounds like table work, small objects dragged around the table with little processing, maybe building up on a reel to reel loop...slowly building up, about 5 minutes in little bits of metal enter the mix and the sound becomes more clinking and constant, like ball bearings vibrating in a ceramic bowl as it's dragged forcefully along the surface. Really nice organic sound collage. As the cacophony fades out small clicks like breaking twigs ping back and forth between the speakers, sparse metal resonance floats in and out of the mix with breath never fully revealing itself and the snaps fall to silence.

Next up i have really fond memories of, been so long since I listened. Not sure why. Another BP 3".
Joe Colley : Music For Prepared Chord Organ : one of those pieces you just have to play loud, fills the room with the most soothing feedback...pulsing and crackling, I really admire that he can do so much with so little, even with the sound sources known it's easy to hear a whole environment wrapped up in it all...creaking floors and summer rain, it mixes in perfect with the last bird calls of the night coming through the screens from outside...as it goes on it begins to pick up a slightly more electronic sound without losing the organic quality of the work, occasionally it sounds like recordings of helicopters and cicadas or passing cars interspersed with overwhelming electrical buzzing.

Darksmith : Weightless (Chrondritic Sound) whirring electric buzz that builds till a flutter full of tape glurp that suddenly drops out to silence. The 2nd track is a slightly rhythmic domestic recording, could be a ticking tape machine or a loop of gray sound, it just kind of floats in the space without ever morphing, the 3rd track feels like it suddenly dropped out of the second, dense but spacious lowend with looping clicks and hums that eventually form a beautiful ambient loop with a fairly idiosyncratic rhythm that finally gets consumed by a tape gulp, the final track has a much darker feel. It still maintains the overall organic sound present in the earlier tracks but has a gritty buzz that gets punctuated by a walkie talkie like static every two seconds or so adding a slightly sinister quality that reminds me of power electronics in some strange way, suddenly the sound just falls out.

John Duncan : Riot LP : VOD The Early Years : Not a lot to say about this one that hasn't been said already, master of shortwave. Minimal record (Shortwave, Voice, Steel door) of diverse and engaging sounds. A real masterpiece.

urall

JH1.FS3 ‎– Allegiance CS
Crispy electronics, with lots of spoken word parts involved about pseudo-romantic/erotic adventures with a twist. It seems the compositions are really well structured and even have a cinematic feel to me. Really like this tape from the first time i heard it. Especially the first track (A2 - not the intro) is really good. The new album on Ideal recs is still on my 'to listen' pile, but i'm looking forward to dive into that one.

Deadpriest

I was listening to some brutal death metal on youtube -random song after random song!! Then I listened to a bit of the Grand Guignol by Schloss Tegal, then the whole of Dekadenz by Bizarre Uproar and I am now listening to Closure II by IRM.
A fine time has been had!
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Deadpriest

Now I'm listening to Rectal Hygienics.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Andrew McIntosh

Still swimming in the dark ambient oceans, this time with the Ugasanie series of albums from Cryo Chamber, dedicated to the very frozen very North. Soft, slow musical tones over ridden by soft, slow sounds. Just nice, simple, soft slow stuff.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

UMPIO "Sauna" digipak CD
Obscurex
Fucking killer harsh noise. Not at all the type his new 3", but this is 2010/2011 recordings that first came out as tape and then later this cd reissue. Well justified reissue. Less hi-fi, more dusty and overdriven, piezzo-flattened metals, crude yet also crunchy. Lots of diversity, but most of all brooding and dark than high speed cut up. As far as I know, there are couple unreleased longer tapes from this era, result of Umpio being too fast to accept deals from flakey labels who can't get shit done. It would be brilliant to see some of that released, even if artists may feel like he has already moved on during years. This is good example how good noise just is good noise, whether its recent or few years old.

MAAAA "Sampo Distortion" CD
MAAAA "Decay And Demoralization" CD

Both already c. 2010. Two quite different release. Sampo Distortion is kind of odd. Just 30 minutes and clearly less focused that he is doing now. I guess recordings date back to 2008. Flaw, in my years, is the moment when project decides to play couple full songs of Terveet Kädet via additional distortion. For someone it is perhaps quite "mythical" music from times long go, but to me idea sounds way too close. TK released their recent album not long ago and was active band doing records and live gigs till recent years. To me it sounds almost as if you'd play couple tracks of Cock Sparrer on noise album, without considering how familiar it is, and how band is actually still doing their stuff, hah..  But apart those few minutes, this has survived time quite well! It doesn't have the focus & detailed precision of new works, but as dense multilayered heavy harsh noise - works fine.
"Decay And Demoralization" on other hand, is collection of various splits and small releases. Pretty much as much stuff on CD as format can fit, and style and quality varies more. At best, good harsh noise, at worst, ...well.. not among his best! It's perhaps too long CD for not having coherent form. All in all probably has more good stuff than Sampo Distortion had, just could have worked well if shortened to have just the good ones.

TREPANERINGSRITUALEN manifest as TEERAAL RÄUM PHEYNIX - 10"
Tesco
I have mixed feeling about this. In one hand, instantly listened couple of times and liked what I heard. But also made me think, is 10" reissue the best? Tracks are very subtle, more like old Archon Satani. No beats, no raw vocals. No song-oriented like most of his recent stuff has been? It's much much darker and suffocating. But also, for the style and for amount of actual ideas, perhaps short-ish? And perhaps with such dusty and suffocated sound, vinyl surface noises have nowhere to hide when there isn't much of treble here.
Tracks, good. But personally could have liked more if he did for example 3rd part of comp CD reissues...

AM NOT "The Developing World" LP
Tesco
Need to spin this more. And need to take a closer look to lyrics and packaging. So far, only one rotation and experiencing only the musical merits. Which are: Good! This is perhaps musically favorite Am Not now. Could it be said more "standard" heavy electronics? That not being derogatory, but just to say that in past I felt somehow technological wibe very dominantly, and now it seems more heavy oppressive mood driven than underlined technical know-how? Or maybe my experiences are tied to also format, being clean digipak cd or live gig with synchronized backing videos etc. As said, got to give more time for this, but seems like another example of current bands that is able to top themselves!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ConcreteMascara

High-Functioning Flesh - Culture Cut LP - a substantially more "laid back" sound than their prior two LPs, Culture Cut has some distinctly summer vibes which is fitting given its summer release date. almost entirely absent is the hyper-kinetic sampling of Definite Structures, which is a little disappointing. instead there's stripped down, detail oriented drum programming and various semi-melodic flourishes. just getting to know this one, but stand outs so far are Drawn Out, Talk About and Invoking Phantoms. i'm really bummed I'll be missing their Philly show next week...

Grunt - Petturien Rooli CD - revisited this masterpiece. i'm still convinced it's the best Grunt album in many ways.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 06, 2017, 05:39:24 PM
Grunt - Petturien Rooli CD - revisited this masterpiece. i'm still convinced it's the best Grunt album in many ways.

This, I have probably last less than 10 remain out of 3 different editions totalling perhaps 800 copies.... I still consider that perhaps one pressing should be done on CD! Maybe to at least correct some of the multiple typos in the cover... Length of album makes it quite impossible to do LP version, so perhaps will remain cd-only.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Scat-O-Logy

Olympic Shit Man ‎"Supercharge"
Very random, broken and spacious recordings as opposed to full on harsh noise blast which I was expecting. Perfect! Essentials from Evil Moisture, Putrefier and maybe even Nihilist Assault Group, anyone?

david lloyd jones

been listening to old, original industrial sounds-
cabaret voltaire, tg,  23 skidoo, clock dva, monte cazazza, factrix, spk, lustmord etc.
despite the wiry sound, with added psych echo,  that seemed of the time, these bands survive and sounds prosper.
all this pre digital media.

absurdexposition

SHIFT - Abandon LP
I don't even know what to say about this other than it's just plain good. At first I wasn't too sure about the guitar on the second side, but it - along with the whole album - has been sinking in all week and I really can't get the "hook" out of my head. A+.

STRIATIONS / MACRONYMPHA - Stonefish CS
Haven't even finished listening to the first side yet and already this is some of the best STRIATIONS material out there.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com