PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Peterson on June 24, 2017, 10:23:48 PMBurried Machine

For me, the best works of Burried Machine are "Bucket Dome" and "Stoned Mirror". The webpage of his Rockatansky Records label used to have samples of all the Burried Machine releases and for me, those two were the only ones that I liked. Sounds very similar to the decomposed and rotten works of Maurizio Bianchi in his prime. Highly recommend those two!

bitewerksMTB

Felony Sexual Assault "Power to Humilate" & Swollen Korps. "Better To Destroy A Child Than Repair A Man " tapes (both, TF/TP)- F.S.A. is the winner here due to better recording & heavier electronic action; S.K. is pretty lo-fi in all elements along with distant, hollow Ramleh-type vocals. The only complaint for F.S.A. is the Buyers Market-type loop goes on too long. Both are must-haves for anyone into sexy American PE. It'd be interesting to hear what these guys would come up with if they popped up out of hiding....fingers crossed.

Interracial Sex "Boy" tape (New Forces)- sound sources used are home movies on vhs tapes being manipulated & destroyed. The only issue I have is the over-use of pitched down voices. About half-way through s2, the vocal processing goes away & we get some great spoken hollering that, along with the searing sonics, has a Con-Dom ''feel" going for it (that may only be because I listened to Con-Dom live previously). Anyone have other I.S. tapes they may want to part with (or upload)?

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on June 25, 2017, 04:09:41 AM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on June 24, 2017, 06:24:17 PM
antipodean alan lamb, if not already known, may interest.
his recordings and manipulations of fence wires is conceptually, acoustically satisfying. the remix cd od the then usual suspects was ok.
Good idea, I've heard about it for a long time but have never actually sat down and listened to any.
I didn't realize Lamb had a new collaborative album as of 2012 (2LP vinyl only), where it looks like there is a reworking of one of his field recordings of telegraph wires (Great Bow?) and him doing some mixing of others' recordings.  LP#2 is of little interest, though.  I've always hoped for a video of him setting up and showing the desert and wire, but I'm also wary of disturbing the mystery of it all with any concrete visuals.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

gabalgabow

SPECTRUM ORCHESTRUM

It's a strange jazz/ Progressive rock band from France.

Saw them live this week end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScPvjdRp1Qo

monotome

Anaal Nathrakh - Hell Is Empty, and All the Devils Are Here. After The Codex Necro their best. Good songs with loads of diversity, and still has good flow to it. Not as nihilistic or oppressing as their darkest stuff, but with great songwriting, driving grooves, variety of riffs and vocal techniques which makes this so good. And not to forget the humor, its great. To bad they totally fucked up the recording of the high-hats, nasty digital artifacting bullshit cutting through the whole mix. Didn't even re-record the hats befor the release. Fucking cunts.

Not sure what they were drinking afterwards, but all albums made after this one are a mess, either way to overproduced or total cheese-fests. To bad.

ricjaff

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on June 25, 2017, 04:09:41 AM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on June 24, 2017, 06:24:17 PM
antipodean alan lamb, if not already known, may interest.
his recordings and manipulations of fence wires is conceptually, acoustically satisfying. the remix cd od the then usual suspects was ok.

Good idea, I've heard about it for a long time but have never actually sat down and listened to any.

might either of you have a discogs link to this person?

bitewerksMTB

Alfarmania ‎"Luciavaka A.T. Utmarken" tape- Collaboration With VEHM 08.12.13 ; excellent live tape that would make a nice LP especially the first piece with multiple screaming vocalists. The rest is just solid, good heavy, noisy PE.

Boy Dirt Car "The Ghost Shirt" tape (Artweather)- pretty cool live tape, I think? The text is super grainy & very small print. S1 starts out with Eric Lunde doing spoken word that is used later in his solo work. Other tracks involve loops, lots of junk metal percussion, & guitar. There's a couple of dud tracks but those with Lunde are the best. One has him whispering, speaking very low over a few loops. Some of the work with percussion, reminds me of Missing Foundation. I wish I had picked up that RRR box set back when it was available.

absurdexposition

BIZARRE UPROAR - Sikiöasento 2LP

Goddamn. Top 10 of 2017 material.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Decrepitude

Jarl & Envenomist - Tunguska Event
Seasick radiant synth droning. A lot of good moments, almost made me sick one morning when listened to in a bus on headphones. There's not a whole lot of variation on here but it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

AXNAAR - Obscure Salo
Quality crunchy noisy black metal. I like the fact that you have to really pay attention at some points to discern what's really happening. Also the use of samples in couple of songs is very tasty.

ORPHX - 01/02
I've been slowly chipping away at this big two-cd collection of early ORPHX stuff and while I need some more attentive listens it's been interesting. Kind of reminds me of the earliest Gruntsplatter stuff in it's mix of different kind of sounds and techniques although I think this might be better. The in and out weaving samples and rhythms give it at times almost melancholic feel.

Duncan

First day off work in ages with no plans besides working through the listening pile:

$un $keletons Get it Up Yers Trio Permanent Powers doubledotdash?! (2017)

Nice tape from newish (or newishly active) trio.  Drums, sax and some kind of indian stringed instrument.  Decent ambient/kraut stylings to knock about the house to.

Art Zoyd Generation Sans Futur Atem (1980)

Cinematic avant prog. Like incidental music more than a rock album.  A single blast with drums right at the end but besides this, excellent composition with many returns to particular motifs.  Better than I expected.

Kraan Let It Out Intercord Record Service (1975)

Another one which was better than first thought.  Having started with Andy Nogger, largely considered their best album, I didn't expect too much but this was full of the subtle movements and flourishes which make that album so great.  Will definitely return soon and expect it'll grow even more.

v/a Labyrinths & Jokes Hanson (1998)
Older comp but recently obtained.  Each track is excellent lofi tape based collage stuff but still totally varied.  Even as a sucker for this kind of sound I'd still say it was really high standard stuff.

Baglady

GOLDEN SERENADES - Fitte C46 (Trash Ritual)
A GS release I rarely revisit. I'm not sure why, but it could be the cheesy artwork (I know at least two other artists who were a bit disgruntled about Trash Ritual putting that roped girl in the artwork). It's probably my least favorite GS, and yet I still love every second of it. This one and The Swan (on Abisko) is GS at their most raw and unhinged, but with all the dynamics intact. Full on free flowing blown out guitar rumble and heaps of ripping screech. Never a dull moment, and if the flangered feedback on  the flipside doesn't give you goosebumps there's obviously something missing in that head of yours. It's a shame that they seem to have quit(???) after the phenomenal Age Of Swing LP, but at least they kept their discography flawless.

Zodiac

SOUND OF SADISM Compilation
Still fresh, i guess.
Remember, remember... december.

ConcreteMascara

I normally wind up listening to a lot of Skinny Puppy in August but this year the urge came early...

Skinny Puppy - Cleanse Fold And Manipulate LP, VIVIsectVI CD, Too Dark Park CD, Addiction CD - CFaM and VIVIsectVI are tied as my two favorite albums aside from Too Dark Park. Too Dark Park is untouchable, plain and simple. But the other two are classics in their own right. And the Addiction CD is a great supplement to CFaM. Deep Down Trauma Hounds and Addiction are my most listened to favorites of the early SP period and their remixes are even better than the album versions. Such perfectly cold music for hot and sticky summer days.

Damien Dubrovnik - Europa Dagbog MP3s and First Burning Attraction LP - Europa Dogbog desperately needs a repress. Still my favorite DD album as it reaches a moody catharsis the others cant seem to match. Just say the new DD album is out, I'm interested to see how it stacks up.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

Con-Dom "All in Good Faith" tape (Control Domination)- this is a 'promo' tape Mike sent me. It has a white sleeve with the cuffed man hanging by his arms with pasted on titles inside along with a yellow flyer for the tape release. The cass. has ' AIGF promo' hand-written on one side & 'Con-Dom' on the other. I think this is one of his best works. All of the tracks are engaging, etc. Lots of samples from religious loons. I wonder what happened to my copy of the cd?!? Anyone have it & want to get rid of it for a reasonable price or trade?

Boy Dirt Car "Catalyst" tape (Artweather)- looks like this is the debut; it has more musical elements than later work. Lots of guitar with one track sounding very close to Big Black-type sound; tracks with Lunde's vocals/voice are the best esp. "Black House". Discogs says this is the 3rd release but there is nothing listed before '84 when "Catalyst" was released...

FreakAnimalFinland

H.Ö.H. "Palava Kuljettaja" tape
New tape contains 6 untitled tracks and I dare to say, despite admiring all the H.Ö.H. stuff, perhaps the best tape yet! It remains pretty much equally brutal and primitive as before, but each track has clearer distinctive elements and "composition". Even if it may be just crackling radio static and rewinding tape noises back and forth or somehow rugged tape loops. All remains utterly primitive and hand made feel, void on ANY effect gadgets or editing. Brilliant!

EURONET "Jabber Zeus" tape
LEGLESS "Music For Blackouts" tape

White Centipede Noise
Label remains to be crucial source for no-bullshit harsh noise assaults! Of course harsh heads could review all the tapes in length & detail, but perhaps unnecessary now. Just to conclude, every tape on this label seems above average!

SEX AND HYPNOSIS tape
Backteria Field
A-side passes by without much of impact, but not sure what exactly is so crucially different on b-side, that it captures instantly! Creepy industrial noise created of multiple sound layers of physical noises. Not sure if it's accurate to talk about oldest TNB, 1st album era Haters or Vivenza, but somehow those names came to my mind even if SAH barely sounds like them.

WHITESWAN "Inevitability of violence" tape
Nil By Mouth
Finnish PE, which has always been hit & miss. This is more towards first demo type. Primitive vocals with no effects, and not much of character, but fits quite well with one-dimensional lo-fi noise electronics. Which is not bad category here. My only complaint is that like tape on Wrath, both sides are nearly identical. Just doing basically "same track again". While he could have set up sound different and both sides would become more interesting. But sonically, this is actually one of the best Whiteswan tapes, with more blown-up overloaded electronics!

SISSY SPACEK "Slow Move" CD
WHITE GOLD "2" CD

Troniks
Troniks is not dead!! It's slower than it used to be at peak, but Phil is still around and as result you can hear two releases that are like timetravel to 2005. If you didn't get enough of harsh noise from Los Angeles back then, and feel like blasting high-treble levels, fierce electronic harsh noise is what you need, then here's two discs what won't disappoint.
There is no overloaded crunch of the 90's, but the mid 2000's ripping clarity and crisp distortion.
Sissy Spacek has more "meat" behind the layers of nearly plain white noise, but also this time it is harsh noise - not noisecore or experimental of some sort.

SHIFT "Altamont Rising" CD
Cold Spring
Still waiting copies of new album to arrive, so re-visited this previous album, and it is actually even better than I remembered. I don't think I ever made conscious link of this and The Grey Wolves. Of course it's foolish to assume GW would be any specific influence for Shift, but now that this is playing, it's almost as if Catholic Priest Fuck Children & War Against Society era grey wolves popped some steroids and upgraded their gear. Some of the similar fuzzy rawness, yet tonal heavy electonic backbone, looping rhythms etc.. The Raptors Talons Tore Their Flesh goes pretty close to territory of Through Constant Decay, minus eerie choir synths.
That all said, Shift has been already years more like bands to use as referencepoint, than to be compared with older groups. Now with c. 5 years after this was composed, it underlines strength of album how fresh and timeless it sounds!

IRM "The Cult Of The Young Men" CD
Annihilvs
Another revisit. 2002-2006 recordings, live either studio or at gig. Time before permanent bass player. It is not bad. Not at all, but there are few things what are clear. First of all, IRM has matured and become more interesting during last 10 years. Second, this material is not that far from what IRM does, but is simply not as well done as it is now. As good as Bladh is as vocalist, after all, he has nearly one way of doing his delivery. Vocal rhythm, tone, and intensity is almost identical from album to album. In latest efforts, there is variety, but still very much certain way.
If one would compare Shift with this, each Shift album is different from the previous. Despite few elements, like darkness, negativity, slow tempo and heaviness, Shift always changes. Of course every IRM album is different, but certain elements repeat strongly - one being vocal style & effects used with it, which is so dominating element that it may make tracks feel samey, even if they weren't. While I used to be much in favor or "red album", nowadays I'd rate highest things from 12" on Segerhuva onwards where band has upped the level in pretty much every level.   
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net