PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VelvetCurtain

Quote from: Deadpriest on June 13, 2017, 10:16:35 AM
As far a noise rock goes Homopolice an Drunkdriver are the tits.

Drunkdriver is, in my opinion, absolutely not a noise rock band. For sure, they are an American hardcore group.

Harry Pussy is the best noise rock band ever, imo. The chaos in playing and recording has far, far, far more teeth than nearly every, or fuck it every, other noise rock band.

Peterson

Quote from: VelvetCurtain on June 14, 2017, 12:03:37 AM
Quote from: Deadpriest on June 13, 2017, 10:16:35 AM
As far a noise rock goes Homopolice an Drunkdriver are the tits.

Drunkdriver is, in my opinion, absolutely not a noise rock band. For sure, they are an American hardcore group.

Seems like splitting hairs; they can't be both? Why are they one and not the other?

Deadpriest

Quote from: Peterson on June 14, 2017, 12:23:14 AM

Seems like splitting hairs; they can't be both? Why are they one and not the other?

Agree:
They are definitely, at bottom, a hardcore band but they are too blown out and the vocals aren't heavy enough to not be called noise rock as well, they're noise rock in spirit I'd say.

Haven't listened to HP in a while, after hearing your opinion I must again!! But the greatest noise rock band will always be Brainbombs.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Stipsi

Now Playing
Violent Onsen Geisha - Que Sera, Sera (Things go to bad from worse).
Classic masterpiece i'm never tired to listen to.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

bitewerksMTB

Drunk Driver remind me a hardcore version of Kilslug.

Late night listening:

Wolfskin "Campos De Matança" cd (Essence Music)- esoteric soundscapes created with "loops, voice, accordion, flute, tin whistle, electric guitar, bells, Carillon, Tambourine, Iron, Ceramic Box, Talara, Wheels And Bones"; for fans of Allerseelen & the like.

VelvetCurtain

Quote from: Deadpriest on June 14, 2017, 11:26:25 AM
Quote from: Peterson on June 14, 2017, 12:23:14 AM

Agree:
They are definitely, at bottom, a hardcore band but they are too blown out and the vocals aren't heavy enough to not be called noise rock as well, they're noise rock in spirit I'd say.

Haven't listened to HP in a while, after hearing your opinion I must again!! But the greatest noise rock band will always be Brainbombs.

Fair enough! I've actually heard people call HP a hardcore band before (it's def in their DNA, too). I wish more noise rock bands had more NOISE.

Deadpriest

Quote from: VelvetCurtain on June 14, 2017, 10:16:44 PM

Fair enough! I've actually heard people call HP a hardcore band before (it's def in their DNA, too). I wish more noise rock bands had more NOISE.

Whoops, I was talking about Drunkdriver. Like I say haven't heard HP in a while (getting there though just redownloaded the stuff of their's I own)

I'd recommenced Violent Students, Shit and Shine and homopolice to you If you like your Noise rock noisy.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Johann

Senyawa : Brønshøj (Puncak) just received this record in the mail today, saw Aaron at Hanson highly recommend it and was distroing a few. Has a lot of what I look for as records go from first glance, the duo is from Indonesia (which I can't speak for others on this forum but I find the experimental scenes from the non western world to be particularly interesting even if I don't end up liking the output).

The music is a mix of traditional Indonesian and something more drone inspired, seen the term metal thrown around but I don't know how represented that sound is on this release. The first side starts off beautifully with plucked resonating strings that both fill the listening space and let the whole room breathe at the same time. I would say with all the talk of people into doom recently that they should try to check these guys out. The instrument is homemade and offers a lot of variety, while the other member is purely using voice. The vocals are haunting at times and completely abstract at others, as the release goes further they enter more upfront in the mix adding to the drone.

I'll definitely be exploring more of these guys and hope they make it to the USA again, wish I could've seen them last year. The reviews seem captivating.

For those not wanting to commit financially to this band there are links of some full albums on archive.com that I've yet to check out but I will link below

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Senyawa/Live_At_Grub_1720/

Curious if anyone else is into them or any of the Europeans have seen them

breidahl

I have seen them 3-4 times. Great live band and the singer goes crazy.

I also know the ones who released the LP. It was recorded in one of the guys' house in Brønshøj and I think it was pretty much improvised.
Quote from: Johann on June 14, 2017, 10:39:59 PM
Senyawa : Brønshøj (Puncak) just received this record in the mail today, saw Aaron at Hanson highly recommend it and was distroing a few. Has a lot of what I look for as records go from first glance, the duo is from Indonesia (which I can't speak for others on this forum but I find the experimental scenes from the non western world to be particularly interesting even if I don't end up liking the output).

The music is a mix of traditional Indonesian and something more drone inspired, seen the term metal thrown around but I don't know how represented that sound is on this release. The first side starts off beautifully with plucked resonating strings that both fill the listening space and let the whole room breathe at the same time. I would say with all the talk of people into doom recently that they should try to check these guys out. The instrument is homemade and offers a lot of variety, while the other member is purely using voice. The vocals are haunting at times and completely abstract at others, as the release goes further they enter more upfront in the mix adding to the drone.

I'll definitely be exploring more of these guys and hope they make it to the USA again, wish I could've seen them last year. The reviews seem captivating.

For those not wanting to commit financially to this band there are links of some full albums on archive.com that I've yet to check out but I will link below

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Senyawa/Live_At_Grub_1720/

Curious if anyone else is into them or any of the Europeans have seen them

Wald

Kontinent Stasis

Very nice! In terms of style I prefer the new Kevlar, but this one isn't so bad either. Needs more spins, but a solid effort.

bitewerksMTB

Niellerade Fallibilisthorstar "Skrankverk" cd (Dystonia EK )- lots of acoustic sounds, I think? there some that electronic or processed; lots of metal, dripping water, drones. They're at their best when the metal banging gets heavy. Does anyone know what happened to the members of N.F.? I vaguely remember hearing that they were involved in a black metal band, I think? I have the cd on SNSE waiting to be listened to soon, as well.

Baglady

LEGLESS - Music For Blackouts C30 (White Centipede)
This one came through the door yesterday and it has already made five or six rounds in my deck. It has an air to it which takes me to the same uncanny place as Macronympha's White Music, and it's not miles away from it purely soundwise either. But Dan has really carved out a space of his own here I think. Music For Blackouts nods towards the american 90's (and with that very specific The New Sadism sounding feedback, I even catch a faint scent of the italian 80's) but doesn't come off as an old school recording for the sake of being old school. A personal recording very much not of it's time, which feels refreshing. Beautiful.

ricjaff

Quote from: Deadpriest on June 14, 2017, 10:38:10 PM
Quote from: VelvetCurtain on June 14, 2017, 10:16:44 PM

Whoops, I was talking about Drunkdriver. Like I say haven't heard HP in a while (getting there though just redownloaded the stuff of their's I own)

I'd recommenced Violent Students, Shit and Shine and homopolice to you If you like your Noise rock noisy.

i've been obsessed with this type of nosie rock/hardcore for years, and one of the shining examples of it in my opinion is stick men with ray guns out of dallas, tx. this recording compiles some sets of theirs in the early 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6CaCJUBnQ8

also i'd recommend rusted shut (also out of tx):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WlVdAwdZl0

F_c_O

kilslug has to be mentioned in this context.

bitewerksMTB

Whitehouse "Thank Your Lucky Stars" cd (Susan Lawly)- highly recommended for the two 7" releases that were rather difficult to locate. Too bad they didn't reproduce the artwork. Memory fails me on what the music used in the background of "Try & Be Grateful" is. Was it in "Deep Throat"?

Niellerade Fallibilisthorstar "Hålrum" cd (SNSE)- similar to the previous cd I commented on but this sounds a bit more free form. It's two years earlier so, maybe, they hadn't quite figured it all out. Parts sound like a drum circle  but other sections are nice n' heavy and more focused. There's a variety of metal objects used along with some yelling, wood, droning, guitar, etc. N.F. are never really very noisy but they do get heavy.

Skin Graft "Condition" tape (No Rent)- excellent! Listened to this while creating more artwork for an upcoming release. Real nasty harsh noise; dense n'  heavy. Some synth-type sounds are used along with field recordings with voices, etc. Recommended!