PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterson

Sorry, OT. I'm surprised and grateful for everyone's encouragement, thank you. I'm also considering starting a review blog and just posting links to that here, although I honestly like the idea more of joining forces with one already established for a better variety of tastes, purchasing habits and perspectives rather than just indulging my biases. Not sure of who to reach out to, though; Noise Receptor has me beat and makes me look bad on several levels, haha. The Special Interests blog seems to be just fine having only Mikko's reviews, also.

I'll be contributing occasionally to a new blog that focuses only on the gritty, filthy side of things, though. Duncan, I'll listen to that interview soon, glad someone else is paying attention to your stuff.

Zodiac

Quote from: urall on June 05, 2017, 11:25:19 AM
Quote from: F_c_O on June 05, 2017, 11:19:19 AM
You really should have this shit on a blog/website/paperzine or something. Its a shame if reviews of this quality just disappear into the back of this thread.

true.

[2]
Remember, remember... december.

F_c_O

Burial - Untrue

To this date my favourite dubstep album and certainly unlike most in the genre. Drenched in melancholy this reminds me of city at night, at early morning, and the beauty of it, the quiet, with cars humming in distance. The moments alone or shared with someone special. It is truly sad that dubstep degenerated what it became, instead of going into this direction, or with more artist exploring this dimension of it. At first listen, one finds very little familiar, especially if one knows only skrillex. The drumbeats sound unfamiliar, the whole sound pallette is drenched in saturation and lofi. Something to listen at night when one needs something to calm down to. Truly, this sort of melancholy is the most beautiful emotion one can expirience.

F_c_O

Grey Wolves - Punishment/Age of Dissent

Great stuff. For some reason, it seems that these guys aren't as highly regarded as big names like con-dom or genocide organ? Or is it just me? In any case, this is the kind of power electronics I really enjoy. Lofi, unrefined, minimal with strong message. The greatest shame is that these lps havent been re-released on vinyl (with the original artwork and leaflets). Material feels less like some intellectual pursuit and more like a simple, primal explosion of anger and energy.

Death Squad - Theological Genocide/Isolation as Intent

To me, this is pretty much pinnacle of power electronics. All of power electronics. Extremely simple, extremely minimal, focus on high end but it never feels static, unfocused or uninspired. Extreme in just the right way. I really, really need to get these on vinyl.

gabalgabow

L'IMPASSE MEXICAINE

French post rock band with a quite technical playing,
Not bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzxP_ZE5ZOU

F_c_O

Boris - Absolutego

This is my number one drone doom album, no contenders. It is not ambient, it is not clean, pretty or meditative. It is filthy, it is heavy, it is bludgeoning. The feedback wata conjures out of her guitar is downright nasty, uncomfortable, unfriendly. There are no attempts to be experimental, artistic or anything of the ilk. The only point here is drone, feedback, that beautiful, filthy, humongous sound you get from a good amp and a good fuzz pedal (which, in my opinion, is the only true guitar distortion. Everything else is just pissweak shit that takes away from the sound, rather than adding to it!). This is drone, this is sludge, this is noise. Extremely highly recommended. This is also great workout music!

Euro Trash Bazooka

As a guitarist (mainly), I entirely disagree. I need fuzz, distortion and overdrive as I don't use them for the same reasons at all. Same when I use them on my synths or drum machine...
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

F_c_O

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on June 08, 2017, 11:35:14 AM
As a guitarist (mainly), I entirely disagree. I need fuzz, distortion and overdrive as I don't use them for the same reasons at all. Same when I use them on my synths or drum machine...
What can I say, I just love fuzz. Overdrive can work but for distortion, eh, I really, really rarely find a distortion sound enjoyable. Anyway, enough off topic!

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: F_c_O on June 07, 2017, 03:34:01 PM
Boris - Absolutego

This is my number one drone doom album, no contenders.

It's pretty much the last word in the sub-genre as far as I'm concerned. A lot else this band did left me pretty cold - they were a bit of an "it" band for a while there. Some of their collaborative stuff with Merzbow wasn't bad. But this album certainly rules.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Levas on May 14, 2014, 10:30:12 AM
Decondition - Sukellan Tuntemattomiin syvyyksiin - pretty traditional German style PE, but good.

It's been years since this came out. I remember getting promo copy of cdr with various tracks and my main complaint was the use of loops that do not develop anywhere. That song would just start and stop, being just about the same for whole duration. But this album is not like that. I recall writing few messages with guy and very vague recollections that he ended up changing tracklist and this album isn't what I remember promo to be.

Traditional German style PE, is rather accurate. But I'm not thinking of Genocide Organ. Not at all. More like Dagda Mor, Ex.Order, perhaps little bit of Söldnergeist and Advokat Ihrer Hoheit. I would also mention some more PE works of Cloama!

Album mixes "german styled heavy electronics" with dark and grim sounding death industrial. Echoing chanting voices... Produced rather clean, although it has mystery in form of distortions/effects, physical elements as opposed to some of the software based groups.
I guess at this point, feeling little regret of not showing green light for album after the promising tape on Freak Animal, but at least still found in FA's distribution!

CD came out on Force Majeure (Nuit Et Bruillard), perhaps little bad timing and album seems to be largely overlooked. Certainly good to grab!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

U-731 "By All means..." CD
Black Plagve
Members from United Front, S.H.P., Vomit Arsonist,... It sounds to me quite a like one could expect based on hearing those names. Also something what makes me think of several current USA projects. In a way, it is decent. It has pretty much all the basic elements of the dark post-industrial / heavy electronics stuff. Aggressive vocals. Strong samples from speaches or documentaries. Aggressive electronics as well as bleak and eerie, even tonal keyboard usage. It's not recycling same template, but actually each track does stand on its own.
But what sets it apart from the best of the genre, is the fine detail of sound. Many tracks suffer from somehow flat production. You got steady tone of raw electronics as back bone, then processed vocals echoing on top, and perhaps few other sound elements or samples going on, but nothing melts together and the true punch is missing. Seemingly like mixed on computer multitrack without sounds truly "becoming one", and often sound is relatively thin or flat, only enhanced with things like "reverb", rather than looking into core of sound, is it really any good? And instead of looking for brutal, fat, crunchy or truly fierce and ripping, you got this almost low bit rate multieffect type crackle tone hidden under echo? Well, of course not all the time and all the tracks - but the commonly heard and seen problem these days in this type of approach.

Of course, when you put some germanic leader speaking, you can throw almost any fuzzy tone behind it, and track can't be too bad, hah... So the CD is fine. But project appears like they could do way better than they have ended up doing. Lack of physicality and loud amplification is perhaps one missing detail, but I'm not sure if that's even the thing they want.

Aeoga 'Obsidian Outlander'  LP
Aural Hypnox
This has been my turntable for some days. Probably 5 times later, I can conclude few things. If talking loosely about category consisting Dark ritual/drone/ambient/etc etc, it is not mandatory to put out double albums. Not even hour long albums. Not even 40 mins! This LP, is barely 30 minutes and I have ended up listening it several times each day.
Because length is half an hour, and there are six tracks, it is not merely some flowing abstract sound stream. Without becoming music in conventional underderstanding, it still makes songs. Slow eerie guitar tones, dark and noble almost soundtrack-esque synth tones, rhythmic loops of chains or other objects. Analogue synth pulsations, church organs... and so on.. It is hard to just call it "drone" or "ambient" as it neither one. Also lumping into vast category of "ritual music" hardly does justice, as while it may be that - it is more. It is clearly not product of simple drugged jam or easy routines hidden under neat aesthetics, but most of all artistic perfection! I'm quite sure at this point, that this Aeoga album is becoming my favorite Aural Hypnox release so far!
I'm pretty sure label saw the strength of it, since this was first ever vinyl release of the legendary label! Also published as CD, though. Essential album. Also, when listened after the above mentioned cd, there is such a drastic difference in audio alchemy. This album doesn't have singly crappy sound to it. Any approach in sound it look for, they come up with greatest results.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Deadpriest

I got Inferno by Brainbombs, their live album recorded in the early nineties in Stockholm and the split between No Balls and Blank Vein, these have been on repeat all day.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

neolithic cravings

I picked up Less a month or two ago at the local record store. Its solid and the No Balls/Blank Vein split is even better.

F_c_O

My drone binge continues with

Monarch - Sabbracadaver

If theres a singular modern band to rival the classics of drone, this is it. Wonderful, heavy, pitch black and best of all, it is not boring! Despite being some of the slowest doom out there, it never becomes boring, instead the band can keep your interest through their monolithic compositions. Unlike the earlier efforts of the band, theres actually some sense of melody here, although it is quite hard to grasp due to the utterly tectonic tempo the band works out. Even more impressive is the fact that the band has never felt the need to start to experiment or go outside their chosen style of doom while consistently doling out the goods. There are no violins, synths, poetry reading or other kind of bullcrap bands like Sunn O))) have commited here. The focus is singular, obsessive. Heavily recommended.