PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Blue Sabbath Black Cheer & irr. app. (ext.) & The New Blockaders ‎– "DDTTNBX" cd (Phage Tapes)- this has been sitting in a pile for awhile so I finally get around to listening. First track is heavy noise with BSBC/TNB. The rest of the cd is everyone in the hands of irr.app so not as heavy or noisy and more sound collage-y. Kinda creepy; sounds of gurgling water, metals, gravel/glass, field recordings. Very diverse range of sounds. The fourth track is the highlight featuring BSBC's  concrete mixer used in the TNB collab but it's not so heavily processed that it's unrecognizable. The final track is very low volume and completely useless. Nice photography for the artwork.

monotome

Checking up on some older cd's sitting unused on the shelves for to long.

Half Makeshift - Omen the first one, beautiful weird cut & paste collage artwork, but it doesn't translate at all to the music. Drone and post-rock like a lot of bands used to make (Locrian etc.), sounds are nice, but that's just it. Every second is predictable and very safe, no tension, no energy, no excitement, lame shit. Stay away from this.

Half Makeshift - L'anse Amort. I think I ordered the Half Makeshift cd's because of this one. The drone-t parts sound much thicker, but it's still bland. The melody in the first track sounds like this guy wants to sound black metal but took Lonesummer as reference, fucking horrible.

The Cherry Piont - Misery Guts. Black Wichery and esp. Night Of The Bloody Tapes are like sex to my ears. This, is, not. Sounds to much like Phil is trying to find his sound, which is killing any ferocity and it doesn't sound like a fuck in your face as it should.

Thee Plague of Gentleman -  Primula Pestis. Starts out as very convincing doom metal, heavy riffs, fat groove and good screaming. At the third track they go into total stoner territory and my interest drops to 0. Didn't bother with the rest.

absurdexposition

Quote from: monotome on May 25, 2017, 10:52:39 PM
The Cherry Piont - Misery Guts. Black Wichery and esp. Night Of The Bloody Tapes are like sex to my ears. This, is, not. Sounds to much like Phil is trying to find his sound, which is killing any ferocity and it doesn't sound like a fuck in your face as it should.

Always found this one to be a true punishing assault. Been about 5 years since last listen, though. I'll revisit.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

impulse manslaughter

Listening to some new records:

Joe Jones - In Performance LP, great looking reissue of classic fluxus LP. 2 long throbbing, droning pieces with enough going on (percussion, bells) to keep things interesting.
- Mlehst - The Difficulty In Crossing A Field 2LP, never heard the originally CDr but this sounds flat and can't really hold my interest. Not bad but i've head better Mlehst material, can't see why this was picked by Fernow to be reissued on vinyl. Gatefold sleeve is blown up version of CD-cover.
- Aaron Dilloway - The Gag File LP, loops, samples, great atmosphere.. better than Modern Jester to my ears
- Jaap Vink s/t LP, first Recollection GRM LP with an artist that wasn't associated with GRM. This is a very nice pick of influential but unknown Dutch artist. Minimal droning pieces recorded between 1968 and 85 that will be appreciated by fans of later Daniel Menche, Kevin Drumm..
- Henning Christiansen - Opus 67 STRATEGYGETARTS LP, always good to add some now Christiansen to the collection but this is weak. Mediocre track on side A that's played in reverse on side B.
- Wolf Vostell - Dé-coll/age Musik LP, nice reissue of classic, but impossible to find, first LP from 1982. Creepy, lo-fi sounds structured into 13 short pieces. Never heard the original LP so sound wise this was a pleasant surprise for me.
- Eric Lunde - N3845 W10452.5/7.5 2x7" box, have the reissue on Industrial Recollection but found a cheap copy so couldn't resist. Nice box with lots of inserts and some crude sound material. Concept remains vague to me despite all the visual information given.

aububs

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on May 28, 2017, 11:53:50 AM- Jaap Vink s/t LP, first Recollection GRM LP with an artist that wasn't associated with GRM. This is a very nice pick of influential but unknown Dutch artist. Minimal droning pieces recorded between 1968 and 85 that will be appreciated by fans of later Daniel Menche, Kevin Drumm..

that lp is getting a lot of hype but it's all deserved. it's tip top.

bitewerksMTB

Eric Lunde - N3845 W10452.5/7.5 2x7" box

I still own the orig. & have the IR set, too. I drove around Garden of the Gods with Jeph Jerman & he showed me the site where it was performed- a spot off the side of the road.

Last night was:

SUBLIMINAL "Gracebudd" LP & HAUS ARAFNA "Butterfly" LP (both on Galakthorrö)- haven't listened to either of these projects or anything on GH in a lot of years. I lost interest after "Butterfly", which, is a very good record esp. the harsher songs. "Gracebudd" sounds like all recycled/unused HA sounds but it's still an interesting release especially the way the vocals-samples are used. The 2nd side is the best. I think I will have to dig out the three HA cd's for re-listening next.

cr

SHIFT - Abandon LP

Fucking hell, been quite obsessed with this one over the last couple days. Slow and punishing. I like it a lot. For me, already one of the best records 2017.

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: cr on May 28, 2017, 08:12:29 PM
SHIFT - Abandon LP

Fucking hell, been quite obsessed with this one over the last couple days. Slow and punishing. I like it a lot. For me, already one of the best records 2017.

Tense and intense album with a lot of variety and the tracks build up brilliantly, especially the last track which even implements guitars and drums. Heavy processed vocals in perfect Shift fashion. Spine-chillingly good!

Extra credit for very creative art design. The record nerd in me loves the fact that both sides end in a locked groove plus the spot-varnished cover with Shift logo is lovely.

Peterson

Wolf Eyes "Dead Hills" CD (Troubleman Unlimited)
      A friend recently gave me a burned copy of this, and I felt like I had to revisit it, being that it was one of my girlfriend at the time's favorite albums when I was 16. Wolf Eyes basically represent everything I dislike about this kind of music, and why I resent it's proliferation in "cool person"/hipster culture, but on the other hand, the core lineup of Dilloway/Olson/Young/Connelly has it's merits, musically anyway. Like a rock band, they manage to have a specific, organized, and unique style where each member's contributions are obvious and identifiable. Dilloway obviously doing the tape work and more abstract noises, Young responsible for the quieter parts, effects ("signature" reverb sound), etc., and Olson doing some of the more organized electronics and as far as I know, voice work. Well, honestly, all these elements in combination do a lot less for me than especially Dilloway and Young's solo efforts - my reaction is "why combine these with no point other than to do so?" They sound just fine on their own, without the need to make an entertaining piece together. Of course, that's my other gripe with Wolf Eyes - "entertaining" music that seems pointless other than to be "fun." Hell, I'd say that there doesn't appear to be any theme or concept for any of their work at all, which is just not appealing to me. I don't really understand when people find anything dark, threatening, or challenging in their sound; to me, it's distinctly just a few guys trying to be weird/funny. I like the idea of band-format experimental music with a recognizable sound, but you need a concept, too; not just the desire to have fun and do something. The party/headbanging vibe is something I can do without, too. Except for the vocals which annoy the hell out of me, this is their better work - restrained compositions, nice effects, nice "beat" sections, hell, even a sense of atmosphere, especially on the first track. Too bad there's not much else.

absurdexposition

I've seen Wolf Eyes twice in the past year. Both times were excellent, and the second time it was just Olson and Young. When viewed as a rock band they are great and I'd go see them again, but never do I ever have any desire to put on an album of theirs, and ultimately have the same feelings towards the kind of culture they have come to represent.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

burdizzo

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on May 28, 2017, 11:00:09 PM
Quote from: cr on May 28, 2017, 08:12:29 PM
SHIFT - Abandon LP

Tense and intense album with a lot of variety and the tracks build up brilliantly, especially the last track which even implements guitars and drums. Heavy processed vocals in perfect Shift fashion. Spine-chillingly good!

Extra credit for very creative art design. The record nerd in me loves the fact that both sides end in a locked groove plus the spot-varnished cover with Shift logo is lovely.

Yes, indeed - those drums on the last track are amazing! One of my favourite Shift tracks. Also liked the slow build on the first one. Excellent album.

impulse manslaughter

Okay, i'm going to order that Shift LP asap..

Deadpriest

Menstruation Sisters: MA
Lasse Marhaug: Nothing But Sound From Now On
V/A: Break Your Face
Volksmorg: Volksmorg
V/A: Nyrkki & Kyrpä
Brainbombs: Obey
Genocide Organ: : In-Konflikt :
Grunt/Montage: Ultimatum and Destruction
Haare: Forward To Insanity
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Zodiac

ARKHE - for everything that lives is holy
FORZA ALBINO - black dog
KINBAKUSHI - rope master

since i am really fucking bad at reviews, lets say that all 3 tapes are strong and i would recommend them.
Remember, remember... december.

FreakAnimalFinland

Been in route of going through lots and lots of old CD's. Stuff what has been piling up in "to be listened" piles or "to be listened more" piles before going to alphabetic "archives"...

ARCHANE DEVICE "Diabolis Ex Machina" CD
Korm Plastics
I must have said it before, but I like the name of band a lot. Not sure why, but when I first saw the name on some old paper catalogue, it was instantly band that needed to be checked out. And I also like the music. Often thin, airy and echoing feedback. Not microphone feedback or loud amp filth, but almost like slow moving hight picthed synth tones. I would assume it's just mixer feedback with effects within loop. Funny to see 1992 CD cover, where among list of insteruments is mentioned computer.
Archane Device sound is much closer to "academic" sound art, vintage electronics. Something like David Tudor, Cage or such, but graphics, band name and photos remind more of industrial & underground culture in general. This approach appeals to me much more than guy working under his own name and releases that look like dry classical music CD's.

RLW "Acht" CD
Selektion
Apart from using fragments of heavy metal/rock on some of the songs, I like this. It is the nice "underground electro-acoustic". Brute, slightly clumsy and handmade feel to it. Should probably do full inventory on what RLW is missing and what needs to be bought...

JOHN WATERMAN "Testing the jammer" CD
Raum
mid 90's CD release of experimental sounds. Being more specific is slightly hard, but if compared to two above, Waterman doing stuff as proper "solo artists" is already one reason why his CD's have been sitting on my shelves literally for decade. His name is something what you must have seen back in 90's in various catalogues. His own Nightshift Records was responsible for most of the stuff, but his tracks are found on some industrial/noise bands in compilations.

THE HATERS "Blank Banner" CD
We Never Sleep
1993 CD of The Haters. Not his absolute best, but also recording worthy of attention. This label put out other names like Blackhumour, Savage Republic, Maybe Mental, Illusion of Safety etc etc.. Haters obviously represents the most noisy side of label, and despite it is not exactly the harshest Haters, all the broken glass, looping minimalism of lo-fi clatter and hiss delivers long tasty slabs of soundmaterial.
Another We Never Sleep label title I had bought simply due name and label connection, was Human Head Transplant CD, but fuck, well, even if I do listen material that is not utterly suitable for my own tastes, sometimes it is just better to push stop and move on to the next. "Industrial / experimental"... perhaps, but too clean and song oriented music for today.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net