PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

listening to drunk orange paddies from local large scale building site-a new shopping temple.
bad songs, bad voices, bad everything.
did enjoy local father's extraction of his drunk slags daughter from the mess of masculinity on show.

absurdexposition

Finally got around to the two Scar Crowe tapes on Self Abuse. Short, simple, and enjoyable.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

acsenger

Quote from: absurdexposition on April 02, 2017, 05:46:46 PM
Finally got around to the two Scar Crowe tapes on Self Abuse. Short, simple, and enjoyable.

I got these last week. I'm pretty sure I'd read that they have a dark and mysterious ambient atmosphere, but I couldn't hear any of that (maybe a little bit on A Cold Nights Death)... Hence I'm disappointed, even if I like the fairly simplistic rumbling noises on the tapes.

Bleak Existence

Peterson

Where Is This "Narcissus At The Gym" CS (Bored Bear Recordings)
       Good title for gay-themed power electronics, and maybe a little cliched, but less so in this niche underground audience than something like "Brown Mass" or whatever.  Unfortunately this isn't quite what I'd expected initially; there are some excellent lyrics included in a little booklet, but I'm on the third track and I have yet to hear vocals. Maybe they were accidentally mixed out? This is the sort of heavily-layered, reverb-drenched wall-of-noise you can expect off 1980s tapes, but a little more clearly-defined with some obvious experimental music elements. I couldn't really tell where the first A-side track ended, second one began, etc.
        B-side begins where A-side seemingly left off. Again, lots of reverb overtop more mid-range noise and an eerie synth drone in the outer areas of the mix. Some of the floating delayed sine waves against harsh tones give a Nostalghia-era Gelsomina vibe. Things suddenly cut to some more industrial and metallic tones nicely – just wish there was someone speaking or shouting these words in the booklet alongside the noise. I only recall one Teeny Bopper track that had vocals in it, and as far as the ones that don't, I could certainly compare this to a badly-mixed Teeny Bopper. This sounds incomplete, unfinished. And it's not fully-formed power electronics. Ah well. Maybe I should check out that one Posh Isolation project.

Droit Divin "Litanies" CS (self-released)
        Side A track 1 is sort of like 1-2 fist-in-the-air hardcore in the form of industrial/power electronics. Relatively bass-y and grinding but restrained electronics with a literal chant going for the durationy. Interesting take on things. Track 2 surprises the hell out of me with a sort of cheap industrial beat "similar" to Suicide/early Swans complete with piano loop and grating feedback/guitar noise tone. Godflesh-type vocals (on track 1 as well). I would like this a lot more if the vocals weren't so repetitive, but the way the abrasive tones sit in the mix reminds me of Sektor 304. Then some Nintendo sounds happen prior to a ringout and flat end to the drum-machine beat. Left me feeling kind of empty.
        OK, I'm told Side B is live – well, that becomes obvious soon enough with echoed bass and some sort of falsetto alongside the heavy synth drones that also were present on the previous side. Then effected menacing vocals, was that a soundcheck? This track has a vaguely Tesco vibe to it – but it's hard for me to imagine this being very gripping live without some kind of visual accompaniment/presence. Thinking of it as a live-in-studio recording, it's pretty good, though, and interesting – sounds or maybe feels more like the G.I.S.M. tracks that are just Sakevi vocals and noise than anything I can really reference from today. That's a compliment and I hope these guys do and would take it that way.
        Exotic-sounding off-kilter beats and flute-like tones open Side B, track 2, with a sample in a language I'll assume is French but can't much discern whatever the case. I forgot whom I was listening to, and that this is live, so that's a good thing. Eventually some science fiction movie sound-effect electronics come in in place of what was the drumbeat as the sample, which I'm now certain is in French, fades out. This is basically like nothing else today, at least that I'm aware of. I can't say I was all that impressed, but I'm certainly going to see what they do next and develop into.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: absurdexposition on April 02, 2017, 05:46:46 PM

They're ok, but nothing that special. At first I was amazed, how come such a great legendary label puts out tapes in edition of... was it 30?!? Thirty copies?! Same for Hanged Mans Orgasm tapes. Which were quite close to Scar Crowe style.

Piezzo crackles and subtle noises, and in a way good, but nothing that special. So came into conclusion that maybe 30 worldwide is what these tapes are meant to....

Then listening SKIN CRIME "The House on the cliff" LP on Self Abuse. A-side is basically like doing that same, contact mic, subtle semi-acoustic sound scratching, but hell breaks loose finally on B-side and Skin Crime still shows to be master in harsh noise headfuck! Really nice album, although would prefer faster build-up to the punishing material. Strength of album is of course that quiet part isn't merely waiting for things to happen, but actually a lot of things happen all the time. Should give it another spin today!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

david lloyd jones

re, skin crime 'house on the hill'.
see a side as a psychedelic mix and b side as harsh noise mix.
still playing this regularly, so clearly a quality album.

ConcreteMascara

Vile Intent - Machine Into Flesh LP - a little late to this party, but oh well. i listened to this album on the VI website when it first came out and wasn't really dazzled and forgot about it. but some voice in my head said try it again and I'm glad I did. unsurprisingly sounds a bit better playing off the actual vinyl rather than MP3s. sharply executed powerviolence with an emphasis on the violence. and i love the art direction, really simple but brilliantly executed. like a mix of 2009 Hospital Prod and the first two Gridlink CDs.

Shredded Nerve - We Admitted We Were Powerless cassette - not sure what the significance of the AA quote is on the spine of the j-card, but this an enjoyable tape of melancholic harsh noise. reminds me of Vestige era Pedestrian Deposit and a little of Jason Crumer. but there's some personal character that sets it apart. glad I picked this one up, even if it took me 6 months to listen to it.

Pig Heart Transplant - Supremacy and Absinthe 3" CDrs - finally able to score these to older PHT release for a good price. Supremacy is my preferred of the two, but both are nice thick bits of harsh electronics, all chunky and pulsing. I'd love to see a thoughtful compilation or boxset of all the old PHT tapes/cdrs, but I think maybe the market for that is way too limited?

Life Drag - Feed Your Grave cassette - minimal industrial / pseudo noise rock or post-somethingorother... weird shit, but not that weird considering Nic Schmidt from Mutant Video is involved. good late night vibes.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

RyanWreck

Rostorchester - "Verschrobenheit"
This is the project of Sven Brogle best known for Eisenwinter and the guy behind the one man project Totale Vernichtung. Both of their old bands had some similarities particularly the use of melody though Eisenwinter really did the sunny major chord, melody thing to the absolute maximum for a Black Metal project. Both of the members bring some carry over to this project. Tracks like "Preussische Junker" and "In alle Gewänder des Hades gehüllt" sound like they could have came straight off any Eisenwinter album (I always half-jokingly pinned Eisenwinter's sub-genre as Blackened Pop Punk because he has used chord progressions and riffs that could be found in songs by Pop Punk bands like the Ataris and Less Than Jake, no joke), while more serious tracks like "Verschrobenheitt" show off a talent for catchy, blasting Black Metal that is hard not to enjoy.

Hakenkreuz - "Axis of Cosmos"
Chaotic mixture of Axis of Advance styled War-Metal and strange Von fucked up Black Metal. Blast beats, walls of noisy riffing and dual vocals that change from grunting to a toad croaking wail. Enjoyable, though pointless, brutality.

Quote from: Peterson on March 30, 2017, 09:36:15 PM

Taeter "Parasite" CS (Turgid Animal Italian Division)

Oh fuck yea I love this tape. One of my favorite interviews I did as well: http://purestench.blogspot.com/2011/07/interview-taeter_20.html

holy ghost

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on April 05, 2017, 10:02:47 PM
Vile Intent - Machine Into Flesh LP - a little late to this party, but oh well. i listened to this album on the VI website when it first came out and wasn't really dazzled and forgot about it. but some voice in my head said try it again and I'm glad I did. unsurprisingly sounds a bit better playing off the actual vinyl rather than MP3s. sharply executed powerviolence with an emphasis on the violence. and i love the art direction, really simple but brilliantly executed. like a mix of 2009 Hospital Prod and the first two Gridlink CDs.

This is a seriously great LP. I saw them a few years back and the show was absolutely unreal. Great band. I really hope they aren't done for good.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Decrepitude on March 30, 2017, 01:30:04 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on March 28, 2017, 05:12:15 PM
Laudanum - The Coronation mp3s - great sludge/doom with ambient parts that don't suck. I need to grab a physical copy of this.

If you can find it, I really recommend getting a copy of Laudanum's The Apotheker album. Pretty vicious and original sounding sludge, a bit more up-tempo too. Maybe Brainoil you mentioned not being a million miles away as a reference.

Thanks for the recommendation! got a copy a few days ago and have been enjoying it since. definitely reminds me of Brainoil at times but also Bloodlet circa "The Seraphim Fall", but with a great use of samples on top of that.

Subliminal - Gracebudd CD - the more I've listened to this album over the past year, the more it grows on me. simple but easily enjoyable rough electronics, repeated vocal mantras, etc.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

I'd love to see a thoughtful compilation or boxset of all the old PHT tapes/cdrs, but I think maybe the market for that is way too limited?

I think a very limited market is certainly the case. PHT seems to cater more towards the Iron Lung fanbase than it does to the noise spectrum, whether it's intentional or not that's just how it seems to be. I would back a rarities collection out of personal interest.

Quote from: holy ghost on April 06, 2017, 03:54:59 AM

This is a seriously great LP. I saw them a few years back and the show was absolutely unreal. Great band. I really hope they aren't done for good.

Great band. Seen 'em many times. They played back in October and will likely play again now that Brant is back in Canada for a bit.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Skin Graft "Dystrophy" cd- found this in a box of tape last night; excellent harsh noise especially the 3rd & 4th tracks. The 3rd sounds like multiple tape machines forced to play in reverse while being tortured the whole time. I believe I have a LP or split LP with S.G. I'm going to have to re-listen to.

Bizarre Uproar "Unsafe and Insane" cd-  Whether it's the cd or the lp, this is a classic of harsh noise mayhem!

Sewer Goddess "Hymns of Infliction" cd- damn good death industrial esp. the final track, "Nature of the Black Liquid".

Johann

Regarding Skin Graft to those interested I highly recommend checking out the Blackout LP on Tesco, such a filthy sounding record...I remember it sounding like police scanner recordings of domestic violence and crude broken electronics. I really need to go back and give it a listen as it's been years...

For those interested though https://www.discogs.com/Skin-Graft-Blackout/release/1682677 cheap too!

david lloyd jones

listening to the latest batch of tapes from obsessive fundamental realism,

penetration squadron- not the mort original sounds, but done well and enjoyed
rotate- heavier more dads ended than prior, growling vocals and a great Ugandan Christian Antigay diatribe sampled.
subklinik-death obsessed slaughter prods ambience from a damp crypy near you. stood out for it's simplicity andambience amongst other releases
scatmother/wonderland club split. my favourite of the batch, scatmother with growling rumbles and squealing feedback.
wonderland club present a side long track made with great ability that reminded me of early spk and sleepchamber, funnily, despite sounding nothing like either. quality release.