PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Jarl - Tunnel Vision / Mind Reaper [2xcassette]
Cold and monolithic. This music envelopes the listener, it crushes the listener. The synth work at times is truly menacing, cruel even.

Jarl - Vertigo Border [cd]
Better than Vertigo Emission! Sprawling dark soundscapes. The production values in Jarl's work are downright scary now. Such clean and precise sound. Reminding me at times of Autechre, especially the 3rd track. Constant modulation, tuning, adjusting of sound waves and elements. The compositions are busy in a sense but the evolution is slow.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

ironfistofthesun

new bits....

henri chopin/ la plaine des respirs lp  (eerie vox tape music)

cyclobe / wounded galaxies tap at the window lp ( intense deep drug music, the sound pallet from what the album is made from is like no other i have heard)

deflag heemorrhage/haien kontra cd's ( arthouse/whitehouse)

thomas kroner lp (re issues on type cant seem to get these off my deck)

unicazurn/ temporal bends cd (as with cyclobe steven e thrower delivers some fantastic modern electronic/acoustic avant garde)

ahlzagailzehguh/ misinterpereted injury 2 x 7" set ( a little let down by this...seems flat and one dimensional in its sound, however i seem to be looking for more dynamics in noise of late)

ConcreteMascara

In regards to Ahlzagailzehguh - I'd recommend his two LPs on Hospital. I think they're much more dynamic than Misinterpreted Injury. Much more in the Sickness cut-up style. The last LP, Refuse and Control really pulls off sleaze with dynamics. Might be hard to track down though.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

catharticprocess

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on November 11, 2010, 09:44:26 PM
In regards to Ahlzagailzehguh - I'd recommend his two LPs on Hospital. I think they're much more dynamic than Misinterpreted Injury. Much more in the Sickness cut-up style. The last LP, Refuse and Control really pulls off sleaze with dynamics. Might be hard to track down though.

I agree completely, but also like Misinterpreted Injury. Also, the Chondritic tape is similar to the newest LP on Hospital. Dude fucks shit up f'realz.

Andrew McIntosh

Really getting into Wapstan's "Stoneham", apparently the result of three faulty micro-cassettes playing the same thing, a "slowed down" field recording. No editing or overdubbing, yet for that comes out really well. This and Eric Lunde's "Candyhole" makes me want to get some crappy tape recorders and go outside with them. I like being inspired like that.
Shikata ga nai.

heretogo

Keränen - Bats In The Attic (Pica Disk) cd
Instrumentation is different (vintage synths) than on Tommi's previous releases but the end result is pretty familiar. It's still all about masses of sounds hanging in mid-air, tons of thing happening but not really going anywhere. Again I'm thinking of this as a canvas of sound, like it's missing the time axis altogether but the energy and action are conveyed perfectly all the same. Beauty over depravity which suits me just fine. The first "movement" of the only track is a bit better to my ears but overall it's a very strong album. Good length too, only 35 mins.

Glass Bath - Grey Gardens (Ides) tape
I had no idea what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. Some wallish elements but probably too much happening to call it HNW or whatever. Drones and decaying echoes with very good recording quality and ambiance, maybe that's why I thought about musique concrete for a while. Would need that bit of "something extra" to carry it full-lenght but quite nice as it is.

But right now I'm listening to Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town and thinking that I really should get that new Promise album with shitload of unreleased songs from the same sessions...

absurdexposition

Graham Lambkin & Jason Lescalleet - The Breadwinner
Probably one of my favourite albums right now. Only part that gets to me is the snoring (but the fact that they push it almost the point of wanting to skip to the next track, and just then it's finally over is something I actually like about it)
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: heretogo on November 13, 2010, 01:58:05 PM
Keränen - Bats In The Attic (Pica Disk) cd
The first "movement" of the only track is a bit better to my ears but overall it's a very strong album. Good length too, only 35 mins.

I though I wrote about it somewhere, but seems like didn't...
I think it starts very strong. Then comes the few minutes moment when the stillness hits. Not like it would drone or anything, but the "zzzooing zoing zoing" type of star wars battle, perhaps more the square wave short tööttäilyt, that sounds more playful than intense. But maybe that would be exact sonic metaphor for "bats in the attic"! But as soon as disc gets over that, and moves back to intense noise, I must say this must be among the healthiest and most interesting recordings done with synth in recent times!
No the muddy bass beard-drone. Not the semi-kraut-wannabe psychedelia. No torments on one key/tone throbbing, but extremely rich texture of sounds. Even when he uses synths, you couldn't compare with with CCCC, Hive Mind or whoever. Perhaps more of Incapacitants in era of Ministry of Foolishness. It is so dense, that it becomes a mass. It is such a textured, it ain't the "wall". It is so hi-fi and sharp, it isn't muddy and dark. It is noisy and fierce, though.
That few minutes goofin' around is good as transition, to let the remaining disc proceed with proper synth annihilation.

I feel like I'm too often praising what my friends do, but I do have a plenty to compare it with. And it sounds relatively unique - as much as you can do in field of synth noise anyways!

Black Air "Paris" LP
While listening to A-side, I was like.... pffff... what the fuck? Can it be more predictable? Can it be more similar what these guys have done? It's such a trademark sound of wall of noise crackles and bassy rumbling, there is exactly 0% of any sort of surprise. And also the sound itself is pretty uninteresting. Flipping to B-side, and it seems like now, it's getting somewhere. Starts with thin crackling noises and soon hits in heavy duty bassy rumbles. In theory, it ain't much different, but what they create here, starts to get obscure harmony and even tonality. While track slowly hammers forward, at some point it starts to remind something like Shift or Silence of Vacuum, where the "wall" if often formed with tonal undercurrent. It suddenly makes the stream of disharmonic crackle and crunch take form in key and harmony. It isn't ambient, nor at all aggressive noise, but has another dimension to play with. A-side I felt like that's that, but b-side I returned for replay and it is something that I found pretty successful, in all its simplicity.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

absurdexposition

Bastard Noise - A Culture of Monsters has been on frequent rotation lately.

I didn't enjoy it at first, mostly because I think the original Cyclops versions of "Pincer's Movement" and "Me and Hitler" are much superior, but I'm coming around to it.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

A.N.B.B. "Mimikry"- think Blixa singing for Coil

Ritual

Haare "Madon Evankeliumi" CD (At War With False Noise)
Two long tracks of slow, oppressive, utter darkness. As usual, with Haare's stuff, it becomes more and more nightmarish, the farther into the tracks you get. Not that noisy, but not clean either. The sounds are low-key, somewhat muted, but grating and slowly tearing at your senses. A great release!

RyanWreck

Upon release from Court today I finally got to listen to...

Grain Belt - Grain Belt (White Centipede,Phage Tapes,Small Doses 2010) - This project consists of a group of Noise artists from the states; Baculum, Willful and Wince. I must admit I know very little about Willful and only own one Baculum CDr, but Wince was one of the best projects I had the pleasure of discovering this year. I'm pretty sure every track is live. For the most part this is an unceasing sea of rough Noise with tons of development happening all around. And even though everything seems disassembled and isolated, somehow, every sound on each track flows naturally. Metal abuse is obviously the main culprit, along with a good dose of feedback, crunch and nicely positioned effects. A really intense, distinct sound that these guys collaborated to create. There is definitely a ton of character in this.

FreakAnimalFinland

JOHN WIESE & C SPENCER YEH 7"
Von Editions
lap top and violin? So what can come out of that. In this case, good stuff. 7" feels little short, and even after couple of spins, memories are pretty vague what exactly did happen, yet overall feeling that it was good.

ULTRADEATH "condenced death" 7"
Von Editions
one side wall of noise, crunchy, heavy, distorted. One side lowed down noise/voices. OK, yet on the noise side so standard.

ASAKKU 7"
Melodic average ug black metal on Sombre. But that being recorded in mid 90's with pretty raw sound makes it work. Didn't hesitate a bit about getting this now. even if Sombre did plenty of crappy and barely ok releases, label still had certain wibe unlike a lot of others.

STRID 7"
Had bootlegs on vinyl and CD, but when opportunity to score original 7" came, why not. Norwegian bm from 90's, which has plenty of originality. Times before endless amount of Burzum copycats (if they ever existed in such a mass...) and especially before the wave of suicidal & depressive bm. Slow/midpaced with extremely simple guitar work, but few drumming patterns, few synths and most of all the constant bass melody/bass riff noodling what builds the frame to both songs is what sets Strid beyond anyone else. One could play this over and over again, and at the same time it feels so easy and simple, but also capturing and with substance.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

LIFE

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 18, 2010, 08:56:27 AM
STRID 7"
Had bootlegs on vinyl and CD, but when opportunity to score original 7" came, why not. Norwegian bm from 90's, which has plenty of originality. Times before endless amount of Burzum copycats (if they ever existed in such a mass...) and especially before the wave of suicidal & depressive bm. Slow/midpaced with extremely simple guitar work, but few drumming patterns, few synths and most of all the constant bass melody/bass riff noodling what builds the frame to both songs is what sets Strid beyond anyone else. One could play this over and over again, and at the same time it feels so easy and simple, but also capturing and with substance.

The demo is the best in my opinion but yes, shows how bass can carry the music. And the sample/intro noises on it are actually great unto themselves.