PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanWreck

Today I went through a ton of the stuff I really enjoyed from this year, trying to figure out some of my favorites, so far, for 2010 and everything points in this direction:

Bizarre Uproar - Lily the Flesh
Various Artists - Nyrkki Ja Kyrpa II
Mania - Insidious And Alone
S.T.A.B. Electronics - Temple Of Self-Disgust
Climax Denial - One in the Chamber
Swollen Korps - Better to Destroy A Child Than Repair A Man
Pogrom - Liberal Cunt
River Magic - Spring Thaw Brings The Fever
Coma Detox - Concussed & Asphyxiated
Koufar - The Purity Of The Cedars
Mutant Ape - Black Dog'T North

P-K

RyanWreck

Mutant Ape - Erotic Yorkshire (Ecstatic Peace!, 2009) - This album never gets old, the diversity alone makes for a high mark on the replay value scale. A lot of stuff is thrown around from ambient vibes to thick, rumbling noise tirades that slash through pile-ups of Jamie Gillis samples and powerful vocal nods in no less confrontational a manner than anything these guys have put out up until this point. You really have to listen to this from beginning to end because this type of tLP is probably best taken in one overwhelming "uncut" dose, and Mutant Ape knew it and executed flawlessly. And those are the only words that really do it justice because the enjoyment comes from actually realizing what you're hearing.

absurdexposition

Last night:

The Endless Blockade / Iron Lung - Split 12"
Slogun - Bloody Roots
SPK - Factory
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

RyanWreck

Does anyone actually like Bloody Roots after the first 3 or so listens? Slogun has a pretty good discog, I can't deny that, but it doesn't stand the test of time for me.

Piss Horn - The Woodchopper's Balls (Gaping Hole, 2008) - Weird album title. Up until about 5 minutes this is pretty tame and then it begins to build itself, very slowly, into some crumbling low-end and possible junk abuse that sounds like some swings in a playground. Vocals shouted through-out with some heavy effects on them, hard to make out any lyrics. The 10 minutes mark and forward shows the best material; bassy synth pulses lead into fuzzy ruminations trapped uneasily between soft, almost ambient comfort and terror. Overall this is not my favorite Piss Horn (I don't even know if I have a favorite) but it was an entertaining 20 minutes of my life.

FreakAnimalFinland

JOE & JOE -LP
Old LAFMS LP that was available in London for 15 pounds. And I first hesitated, and actually waited till sunday and then bought it. And no regrets! Great heavily textured and dense droning. Basically there is backbone of synth type drone sound that creates the drone element, and over that is piled layers and layers of great sounds. Very warm and rich. No covers, just LP is thick plastic sleeve.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

heretogo

Tovah D-Day - Unseeing Being (American Tapes) tape
This is exactly the kind of stuff I expect from American Tapes releases! Part meaningless stupidity, part inexplicably satisfying noises from the wasteland of humanity that is America. Nice noisy short-scale drones that thankfully don't drown in the cesspool of their own lo-fidelity. The problem with AT is how hit-and-miss it can be... the V/A: Live & IN DEBT @ Miles Bday Party -tape I got from the same batch was more-or-less useless.

Eric Lunde - Suites for solo analog recorders (traitmediaworks) cd-r
The sounds of tape recorders recording themselves in sound proof boxes. Of course "nothing" happens here but the nothing that does is quite nice. I wish more HNW sounded as interesting as this, a proper study in the textures of sound (and maybe also in the uncertainty of it all?).

Airway / Hijokaidan - Split (Harbinger) LP
The one that was released to celebrate the recent LAFMS event in London. Pretty good but doesn't get me smiling like an idiot the way their sets did at the fest. The Airway side especially suffers from a fairly poor live recording. My powers of imagination can however fill in the blanks in-between and I can actually feel how great it must have sounded live!

FreakAnimalFinland

I thought Airway on the split wasn't as noisy as I was hoping. Hijokaidan was good, but I prefer the studio style, where electronics and furious noise is mixed on top and drums somewhere behind. It was good, but no match to for example latest studio album.

Henry Pierre "Haut-Voltage Coexistence" LP
Pretty good musique concrete. Noisy, sometimes orchestral.

Nyodene D "i have no mouth, yet I must scream" tape
Pretty good and heavy blend of deadly industrial tones and metal junk noises. It sounds more of "well produced", something to lump into company of Vomit Arsonist, Xiphoid Dementia and such american units. Vocals are high pitched yelling, sometimes brings up Militia in my mind. Perhaps the tone & rhythm of vocals remains too similar from track to another. Well made and composed tape.

Pestdemon "Pestdämones hinsiderfärd" tape
A-side is pretty good "traditional" Pestdemon heavy duty punishment, but B-side is a letdown. I guess each tape has something different on B-side? Mine was more of humming of disconnected cable and some crackles etc.

ARKHE

QuoteA-side is pretty good "traditional" Pestdemon heavy duty punishment, but B-side is a letdown. I guess each tape has something different on B-side? Mine was more of humming of disconnected cable and some crackles etc.

Yes, b-side is individual. I'm surprised if there's any of the 55 b-sides that are actually worth calling "music". Or listenable at all. Have no idea what's on them, the process of creating them is very blurred in my memory... Sounds like you got one of those with less "action". But thanks for the comment on the a-side. That's the part that matters on that release.

Have been listening a lot to the OSCILLATING INNARDS 2tape box, irretrievable: mmii-mmviii. As noted, a retrospective with several OOP tracks throughout his career. Had hardly heard OxIx before seeing the gig in Malmö last weekend, the sounds on the tapes definitely lived up to the heavy power and violence of the live performance. Wide range of sounds as well, not only harsh noise but also more experimental material. 8 page booklet with liner-notes explaining the development, nature of tracks, motivations and anecdotes from the whole history of OxIx, with a surprisingly humble and self-deprecating attitude. Highly recommended if you lack these releases.

absurdexposition

Quote from: RyanWreck on November 05, 2010, 02:01:29 AM
Does anyone actually like Bloody Roots after the first 3 or so listens? Slogun has a pretty good discog, I can't deny that, but it doesn't stand the test of time for me.

I think I'm in agreement with you. I really liked it the first listen but I spend more and more time in between each return visit.

Quote from: pestdemon on November 07, 2010, 04:41:35 PM
Have been listening a lot to the OSCILLATING INNARDS 2tape box, irretrievable: mmii-mmviii. As noted, a retrospective with several OOP tracks throughout his career. Had hardly heard OxIx before seeing the gig in Malmö last weekend, the sounds on the tapes definitely lived up to the heavy power and violence of the live performance. Wide range of sounds as well, not only harsh noise but also more experimental material. 8 page booklet with liner-notes explaining the development, nature of tracks, motivations and anecdotes from the whole history of OxIx, with a surprisingly humble and self-deprecating attitude. Highly recommended if you lack these releases.

I was hoping this was going to be good, and by your description it sounds like it is. I'll probably be picking it up soon. Only thing I've really heard from OxIx is the track on the California box set.
Montreal, QC

heretogo

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 07, 2010, 02:12:18 PM
I thought Airway on the split wasn't as noisy as I was hoping. Hijokaidan was good, but I prefer the studio style, where electronics and furious noise is mixed on top and drums somewhere behind. It was good, but no match to for example latest studio album.

Yeah, I was also surprised by the lack of distortion and noise, it's actually quite straightforward freeform rock action. But shit like that is right up my alley when it's done well. The only real problem for me is the sub-standard recording quality. 

yog

Delicate drones, slowed down tape and manipulated field recordings. Beautiful stuff. Feels a bit more subtle then The Breadwinner (2008).
This is also darker, there is a slightly off vibe present... Everyday mundane sounds, skillfully altered, given a new strange quality. I recognize that from some of lambkins earlier output.
One of the best records i've heard this year

FreakAnimalFinland

not sure should it be done at reviews of playlist, but since intent to do short comments, I guess playlist is accurate to comment..

KONTRAST 5x7" box
Toy Bizarre 7" = very nice. It's the artist who have decent releases out, but you never hear anyone mention the name? At some occasions, the blend of relaxing ambient textures bursting into harsher noise makes me think should this be recommended to some who prefer modern days J.Crumer or even such? Is contrast the ongoing musical direction here? Perhaps. It goes from very quiet to loud, from hectic to slow.
MSBR 7" = playful electronics? It has steady backing of warm and playful electronics, and harsh bursts of electronic noise hammered on top. Contrast of volume and sound pressure is hard. It doesn't present MSBR's noise wall. Other side is slowly moving electronic ambient-noise. Which is even less aggressive, yet texturally much more interesting. Length of 7" is great for this. Transitions are done quite often, and many good sounds are happening.
Aube 7" = In the noisy and pretty fierce era of Aube. Some parts of the material ends up in highly distorted electronic damage, while the traditional layered loops and slow modulations of sound are naturally present. Again, I think 7" is favorable format for Aube, since it forces to make compositions more compact. If you'd extend Cleft Tubing to 20 minutes, it would not be the same as it is now in... 5-7 minutes. The climax of the end with roaring bassy loop rising below crude distorted sound works as perfect ending. Possibility to extend moment into 3x longer would have probably ruined it. Flutter Collop starts with high pitched silent test tone type of sound. Vinyl surface noise is pretty extensive when all of sound happens only in the highest of the high frequencies. It takes until 3rd of song is gone, when other things start to happen. Calm yet heavy loops of sound crawl beneath the high pitched sound. It's disturbing song. Very good!
Contagious Orgasm 7" = least noisiest, yet among the best! Highly reverb drenched industrial sounds. No musical form, rather abstract collage of metal screech, loops, voices,.. Knowing this is probably recorded not so distant from C.O. cd on Tesco, it's nearly 100% guarantee of supreme sound!  
Schloss Tegal 7" = continues in quite similar atmosphere as CO, but noisier. Clang of strangely vibrating metals, like flutter of to-be-broken analogue tape. Drenched in reverb with extensive layering. Other side with more distant and abstract humming, with overall similar atmosphere. Probably might have listened sides in wrong order in first place, since this seems like it would be building atmosphere heard on other side, but I guess works well this way too. Massive sound of song slowly increases over the side.

Great box - something what isn't done anymore, is it?  

Strömkarlen

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 07, 2010, 02:12:18 PM

Pestdemon "Pestdämones hinsiderfärd" tape
A-side is pretty good "traditional" Pestdemon heavy duty punishment, but B-side is a letdown. I guess each tape has something different on B-side? Mine was more of humming of disconnected cable and some crackles etc.

My B-side was pretty good actually. Slowed down religious songs with odd drones and crackle sounds. Came of as a sort of cheap down beat Swedish religious version of early Les Joyaux De La Princesse. I prefer the A-side but I will listen to both sides of the tape. 

absurdexposition

Jason Lescalleet - The Pilgrim

I can't believe it took me until now to listen to this. I can't even describe how good/moving it is.
Montreal, QC