PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: THE RITA HN on June 10, 2016, 11:32:54 PM
QuoteTaint was well ahead in sound what I feel was more popularized only decade or more later.

Always in the back of my head when I revisit Keith's 90s works.
The cement behind 90s truly crushing, well articulated and obsessed harsh noise and PE works.

Well said, I finally had time to sit down for some attentive absorbing of the Strange Feeling lp last night at 3am and my jaw literally dropped several times while listening, the fact that it was recorded in the early 90's alone is amazing.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Revelations of the Dead Girl - Without Emotions (digital download), Nihil Worship
Revelations of the Dead Girl - Spell Of The Bleeding Erotica (digital download), Nihil Worship
It's been five days since Nihil Worship released anything, which may have troubled some. Luckily, today they released 11 (yes, that's eleven) albums. The first two, which I have chosen to stream rather than buy at this point, each contain a noise wall of a little more than an hour each. The first one is a bit more harsh, the other one is a bit more laid back. Depending on your mood, you may choose either one. It's good to know that Nihil Worship doesn't read stupid reviews by scandinavian assholes telling them to calm down, do physical releases or anything like that. They/he just keeps doing what they do, at an ever more insane pace.

Maniac Cop - Stalks the living, to feed on the dead (Cass), Hatband
One more classic from the box. For obvious reasons, Maniac Cop bears some undefinable resemblance to Proiekt Hat, but it has another atmosphere, and is certainly more "melodic". Modular synth soundscapes, some rather carefully constructed noise or perhaps rather noise-ish sounds - all supported by a fundament of subtle bass lines. Parts of this could surely have been used as score for the original movie, which I haven't seen for so long that as far as I'm concerned, maybe it was. It's difficult to explain how great this really is. Much like Proiekt Hat, it lacks all pretention, is never annoying (despite the sometimes almost psychedelic bleeps and bloops) and is just something you want to keep playing.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

FreakAnimalFinland

SUTCLIFFE JUGEND "Masks" CD
Old Europa Cafe
I have probably said that I don't feel SJ would be at the peak of their creative phase. Well, it is up to debate of course. In a way, their are more active than ever. And some of the stuff is good, yes. But like this CD is another proof that contemporary SJ operates well on droning, experimental, digitalia soundscapes and dark spoken pieces, while their power electronics tracks leave me to want: Volume, punch and brutality. It seems to lack all the proper amplification, gut-wrecking heaviness etc. Simply thin multeeffect-to-digital recorder type of hissy distortions etc. As soon as band goes to more atmospheric droning stuff, transition from "PE" tracks is HUGE. Those stuff work well. Tracks like Fortune Favours The Cruel make albums worth to. Few more aggro tracks like Lucky Too ain't bad either. But all in all, I need to check the other CD people have mentioned to be better of these recent ones...

POGROM "Father:land" CD
Old Captain / Terror
Pogrom material worked well on tape. Perhaps CD offers less saturation, but remains good. When compared to SJ, there is simply significantly bigger amount of dirt and wreckage. While Pogrom doesn't appear as nerdy study of possibilities of noisescapes, it simply achieves more cruel result by aggressive voice, brute noises, feedbacks, and such. While not all material give impression of loudness and wreckage, it is still way more sinister sounding. While guitars of SJ would be free from noise making, Pogrom pulls guitar in one track of present almost black metal esque melodic tremolo picking on top of various noises. I feel Pogrom has gone forward all the time, and there are still potential as well as further progression to happen.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Andrew McIntosh

Absolutely rapt to get Eleh's back catalog in pristine wave file from the project's own dedicated Bandcamp page. The last word in pure and pristine electronic minimalism. Superb. I don't think I'll ever get enough of this. And remember to play loud because "volume reveals detail".
Shikata ga nai.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Had hoped to discuss Vhril here, but my small CD player has broken down, and I don't want to wake the family by going all Ulex Xane on their butts this time of night. So, I'll have to limit myself to:

African Noise Corporation - Nelson In Sun City (Robben Island Records, 7")
This is one of the best looking seven inches ever made, as far as cover art goes, but even after seeing it and pining for it for many years, I've never bought it, nor heard it. Now I got around to it a few weeks ago, and I am glad I did. At first I was a bit disappointed by the slight weight of the vinyl, as well as the white/blank stickers (later RIR releases are far more impressive in that regard), however I was very impressed to note that the side, as well as the entire release title, has been scratched into the actual vinyl in a very impressive way. You don't see stuff like that anymore (ok, you probably do, but I don't). As for the music: the title track, on side A, is fucking amazing. I think this is one of the best "deutsch power electronics"/industrial tracks I have heard. There is something vaguely "digital" about parts of it that takes a wee bit away from the experience, but not much. The samples, the electronics, the whole thing is really amazing. Side B, "Personal Holocaust", is not at all as great, but it's still a solid track. In fact, I find it a disaster that this project never did anything more. Personally I've always suspected African Noise Corporation were not from South Africa, but rather a German project from the guy behind Membrum Debile and hence RIR, but that is of absolutely no consequence (and I don't know it to be true, either).

Ashmonger

Vril Jäger (CD, Heidrunar Myrkrunar): Ambient, martial, samples, tracks differ quite a bit from each other, but also due to the subject matter, there's a certain otherworldly ambience going on, best track is Maw of Kalki, for its gloomy atmosphere.

Genocide Organ - Obituary of the Americas (CD, Tesco Germany): Hmm, certainly not bad, but it seems there's maybe a bit more of the 'calmer' tracks than I'd like....

Infektionsabteilung - Luzifers Traum (C30, Narcolepsia): Really interesting mix of PE/Industrial and more Ambient/synth parts, can't really compare it to anything I've heard before!

Deadpriest

Bored of life;
you die, they die, I die, is doesn't matter;
the world is empty;
we're all going to die or maybe we're not.

HNW
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Bloated Slutbag

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

bitewerksMTB

Striations "To Know Mercy" tape; impressive release of death industrial-power electronics with sex crime/murder content. Nice 'Full Force Frank'-like collage artwork. This release would make a prime LP or cd. Recommended!

http://nefariousactivities.blogspot.com/

Major Carew

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 18, 2016, 08:58:35 PM
Striations "To Know Mercy" tape; impressive release of death industrial-power electronics with sex crime/murder content. Nice 'Full Force Frank'-like collage artwork. This release would make a prime LP or cd. Recommended!

Just got that in a trade, really enjoyed it. Definitely needs to be an LP or something in a larger edition. My copy came with a sachet of 'personal lubricant' & wrapped in a bin bag, which I found rather unsettling given how fucking grim the music is on there.Not totally sure if the droning sounds are actually synths or something else, difficult to tell.Loads of effort put into the collage artwork and each sound is carefully considered & the tracks are very well put together indeed.A great variety of pieces that actually sounds like a 'proper' album. Some great samples on there too: 'Medical professionals had to be called to find out if the mutilated being inside the suitcase was a human or an animal!".

sterilization

Mike is DEFINITELY one of the very best and most thoughtful/thorough of the whole American PE scene. Always has been, really. I highly recommend tracking down the entire catalog.

FreakAnimalFinland

Waiting these to arrive. Already with his ultra limited CD-R releases i commented some label should get this and other up & coming USA pe units on vinyl...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Yrjö-Koskinen

Enema Syringe - Mitt Livs Novell (LP, UFO Mongo) 2009
Older and wiser men had warned me, but I did not listen. After a 13 hour workday (+an hour commute each way), I just now sat down with a Saku Kuld 5,2% and headphones to experience this recently bought piece of vinyl. My last memory of Enema Syringe is their part on the In the Shadow Of Death four way split on Cold Meat, which I remember hazily but fondly. After some nicely crafted, held-back feedback and noise, an analogue (I think) drum machine begins pounding away. Then a man's voice, virtually devoid of any effects or other manipulations, informs me in Swedish that "THE IDIOT LISTENS TO SHIT MUSIC AND DRINKS BEER". I am immediately inclined to agree.
Not that this is really shit music, quite the contrary (well, maybe not QUITE the contrary...). This is in many ways some nice industrial, varied and well constructed with an array of gear, pedagocially listed on the LP cover. In fact: if you are fortunate enough not to know Swedish, this is anything from ok to great, depending on your tastes. However, the absolute stupidity of the lyrics, which are sometimes almost certainly improvised, makes this a tough cookie to chow down. We get condemnations of what is probably dog ownership (because "The hairy bastards" show their anus all the time), we are informed that "there is a muppet" who annoys the protagonist by saying hi to him, so he has to say hi back, and so on, and so forth. Some songs, such as the aforementioned "Idioten" have some catchy, pop-like qualities, the 30 year experience of Enema Syringe shows in plenty of decent industrial noise jamming away over the drum machine beat. But, to be honest, if you are above 16 years of age and understand the lyrics, the only way this is going to work for you is if you hang out with (male) childhood friends and get hammered. In fact, some such event will be the next destination for this album.

Bloated Slutbag

SSRI – Schwartze Sonne Ritual Invocation cd (2016)
SSRI – Swollen By Noise cd (2015)

Some like it rough. Others like it rougher. Schwartze Sonne Ritual Invocation picks up and fucks the Swollen corpse of PPT n pal's previous F&V entry – right where it did draw breath. Rough racket of thwacked metals, smacked vocals, cracked electronics, hurled through big ol' amps over bruised battered tables at single dingy mic made to swallow whole heap o' swollen crudsandwich... or very rough approximation thereof... in all shitty glory. A certain... density prevails, massed mess of competing elements condensed through single pick-up to render: long-ass jam, strung out, spaghetti-like... strands of sick splooge sticking to slicked out swollen slut cracks like ragged rust covered reams of... ripped-raw runny-long ass-jam. Hella harsh, hardly heavy, in other words, very much of the live persuasion, jizzed up with a certain envocalled single-mindedness as documented in the accompanying printed lyrics. Ah, the lyrics... Well, I've no doubt as to the sincerity of delivery, but the coherence – or lack thereof – might raise a few eyebrows. How to sum? Rabid frothing incandescent slurred drunken vocal outpouring coming in clumped clusters as each movement of massed mess reaches its ill-begot stage of climax. "Kill the goat.. fill the oath... hail to the aryan race.." Not, one might say, the most sober of rituals, but certainly... poignant? Whatever the intent, the net effect, for me, is kind of suffering man-beast-in-the-machine, raging blindly, ineffectually, with all impotent force of some sorry goat caught in huge and burly mass of messy filth... and violence. I imagine this is how Jean-Marc Vivenza might sound if he were to envocal his industrial-strength symphonics; not in overall tone or bruitiste texture, but rather in browned palate of muted, mooted vocal struggling to rise above the all-consuming bruitisme. Forty-three straight minutes of unceasing clamor driven through assorted breaks and shifts in clankity spankity scrap-texture – but at no point does The Sound really seem to give a shit that, yes, a real, human, voice is in there, hollering away. A slight deviation at the thirty or so minute mark, broken down electronics giving way to utmost non-coherent vocal shriekery, launching, finally, into full-metal discharge of purest power, to usher in non-finessed a-capella strains of... anger? self-loathing? good old fashioned hate? "Total control! TOTAL CONTROL!!" Uh, yeah... Just the impression I got there...
If Schwartze Sonne Ritual Invocation isn't rough enough for your filthy holes, spread em open for the previous year's missive. Swollen by noise, eh? Don't even pretend you haven't been there. Same two chaps (channeling Incaps to go by the sleeve photo). Same raw mix of live-amped-up electronics, metals, vocals. This time at some distance from the mic- possible consequence of larger performance space- and at some distance from higher-minded fidelity. Early on, things even seem to get completely detached – unhinged is the probably the better word – as someone, let's call him PPT, gets a tad exercised by the toy of the moment. Soon the proper settling into extended filth, but the taste of unsettled unhinge-edness holds. Well done! Here the vocals are rather more spare, rather less coherent (if that were possible) and somewhat more complementary to the dirge-flooded shitsonics struggling to get a grip on their slowly unraveling selves... just as the voice seems to be struggling to get a grip on why, exactly, it is so compelled to continue yapping on. Perhaps a handy lyric sheet would help.... but I doubt it. There may be repetitive structure at play: heavy-duty blast of full-force shred... to sink, slowly, into almighty filthmurk. Again the ultra lo-fi confines of the recording chamber lend the atmos a degree of density, or depth. Lost details, smudged decibels, the occasional well-aimed clank more or less buried in solid-state layers of snort, snuffle, sniffle... all to beg a most lubricious molestation of the volume knob, though I am sorely tempted to just let things sputter about way in the background, take a hot steaming dump on all my pretty harshheaded predilections. In the latter half, shitsonics pitch ass-first into chrome-lined motorway tunnel, buffed up circular alloys suggesting the barest ambient tinge, smidgens of good ol' CCCC flavor spurting onto the plate. A final longish wind-down of almost pure feedback squeal, just to ensure that a few more months are shaven off your auricular expiration date, end.

SSRI – Robust tape
If not for SSRI's last two offerings of F&V, I'd be tempted to call Robust a turning point for the project. Junked sources out the hidey hole, field recordings, turntable, tapes, ssrippertronics galore. All check. But filtered, all of it, through that peculiarly ssripperesque style of vision, an unexpected and very welcome turn to experimentation proper. Opening title "Modern Turntabalism 01" could be a statement of intent. Over rough n tumble smudge-hiss shitmospherics, a carefully spaced array of jagged, scritchety, blurt establishes a tone of almost perfect dishevelment. Individual shards, ratted and rumply, splatter at uneven interval in through the outer edge of the channel pan. Trapped now in the stale confines of crud-infested airlocker, bits of badly abused recording gear alternately grunt our their dying snorts, and snort out their dying grunts, as though slowly ripping apart at the seams. "Modern turntabalism" read: someone taking a paring knife to raw slabs of vinyl and allowing the unwary needle to fall where it may. Smudge-hiss shitmospherics continue on in "Be Without Fear", though now large metal buckets filled with assorted crumpled scraps are dropped directly onto the unprotected mic, which then falls over and gets dragged around the ill-kempt toolshed, occasionally forced through heavily distorted mounds of filthgrit. A sudden Nursey fragment of easy-listening announces "Modern Turntabalism 02" before sudden harsh whitened scree flattens the field amongst flits and wrinkles wriggling against sounds of aforesaid toolshed getting torn apart with gusto, scrappy distortion layers fighting grainy growth of hollow greywash, the whole surging together in kind of ditch-digging rhythmic medley, ratcheting up the tension for fully filthed, somewhat char-burnt, finish. Flip over and... the "Release From Denial Of Perversity" you were waiting for! Smudge-hiss shitmospherics, check, but much more robust trough of nuance through which to drag the filth-snuffling snout. Could almost be field recording conducted in an industrial... barn, lumbering full-metal racket shoved deep down into plugged up drainage pipe, emerging now and again to reveal acoustic sources, distorted ssrippings of wrinkled trash compaction clambering from 'hole to 'hole as the background stammers out machine-hum cum bovine moaning cum flee-bitten greased-monkey tapping out a pattern of ding-a-ling on an old pitchfork. Acoustic sources re-emerge in closer "More Robust Than You", well-stocked oven drawer entertaining deliberate exposition of variegated clanging and whanging, pausing to admire the elongated reverberant strains before converging in abbreviated fits of distorted excess. Free jazz for instrument-deficient jazzist denied even two turntables and a microphone meets urban gamelan collective confined to a few dinky pans n potlids. Total win!

SSRI – Circle Of Positivity tape
Heavy shit! SSRI in singularly Sick transitioning from sources Seeded circa 2012-2013. "Sickly & Seedy" the appropriate round of recycling to ssripp things off: rusted out metal junks meet feedback vocalization in reverberant thunder chamber brimming with overtone-age up the harmonicaness hole. Nothing subtle about this nor particularly filthed, just a fat load of boorish heave-ho to get them 'holes primed and perky. Then... what-the-fuck? "Cut-Up Exercise 01" takes all that shizer and plonks it neatly into intermittent panning of rust-hole clank 'n tape-head shizzle. No you may not settle down, you are to remain the spastic mess that you always were, shut-the-fuck-up hit the nitro and twerk that spine like a champ. Sounds of low-end revving meet whiplash-ed shriek-clack. Wait- hit the fucking brakes! Or not... sorry about that, thought we were free of the heavy stuff. Sniff. Did you just- Phat burly trashcans rain down from on high. Duck! Or not... sorry about that. For a few seconds I think we are foreshadowing Mr PT's Robust tape, but things are over almost before they start- call up the "Ugly Spirits"! Orgy of boozing demons in your head, slowed down bellowing way past red, massed cluster of rust-shredded scrapmetals consuming all light, all breathing room. Constant bleed-level squeal held back at some ambient remove to occasion somewhat percussive downward slam of scrapped ka-blong. Howl and holler of Publically Castrated beast hammering out an arrhythmic message of decided non-pleasure as though caught in some shitty Nottingham Garage, never once to suggest this was A Good Idea. Alright then. Flip to title track hogging the whole of B-side, at which point we can safely conclude that, in retrospect, the whole of that A-side can go fucking die. Harsh, heavy. Pure scrapmetal abuse. Amped up room ambience for hint of depth. Feeding back screechies. Heavy handed pounding on fat rusted-through chunks, rusted strain, rusted whine. Rust. Rust. Only rust is real. Only rust is- SCREEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeyyiiiiiich. Rusted massed feeding back cluster scorching the Ugly Spirits out the goddamn filthchamber. Repeated gasps for air, pleas for respite, just enough before the metal-bashing assault is renewed with all percussive force, ultimately to lurch into the inevitable clusterfuck scrap-orgy, channelling Incaps Almighty as though to prefigure the full circle to be realized via Mr PT's most recent F&V offerings. Circle Of Positivity. I get it. I fucking- scrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiiiiichhhhhhhhhhh. Only rust.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 18, 2016, 08:58:35 PM

http://nefariousactivities.blogspot.com/

Either I've smoked myself retarded or it seems like the label is sold out? I see where it mentions Analog Worship will have it...maybe I'm losing my mind.