PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P-K

Deathprod : morals and dogma  cd .....and probably the rest of the box, majestic!

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: P-K on July 07, 2010, 07:31:08 AM
Deathprod : morals and dogma  cd

Easily one of my favorite if not favorite dark ambient releases. "Dead People's Things" is one of those songs you can listen to on repeat for hours.

I've been listening to the Goatmoon demo re-press and Selbstmord - Dawn of a New Era CD. The later is truly sinister while still being able to throw in a trace of melody here and there. And the vocal performance is really inspired.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

RyanWreck

Haven't been able to listen to too many cassettes, mp3's or CD's lately. Today I got a few in:

Mania & Bizarre Uproar - Charnel Heap: Two of my favorite artists go at it for one hell of a release. BU's side is slower moving than Mania, as one would expect, especially the second track which is my favorite and consists of well placed feedback slicing up a stuttering drone of crunchy buzz that becomes washed out somewhere towards the middle of the track by louder buzz and feedback and eventually shapes itself into a chaotic mess of junk abuse. Mania stays true to his usual approach as well. A lot more seems to happen on this side, it has more layers than BU, effect heavy, more movement and angrier vocals along with some more junk metal mayhem.

Liver Mortis - Scissored Out: I love LM, I love everything from TF/PE and I must admit that I didn't find a whole lot to get excited about with this one. It's pretty standard rough American Noise. Good helpings of hiss & fuzz hell, industrial scraping, pulsations, "victim tapes/samples" and loud vocal attacks. The best track found would be "New Exports" which, out of all 3 tracks, is probably the most "minimal" as it is centered around a continual hum of Noise and manipulated feedback and then breaks through to some walls of harsher buzz and vocals.

V/A - Heavy Focus Compilation: I'm sure a lot of you have heard this already and frankly I am too lazy to review it so I'm just going to say that the Heavy CD, which deals more with the heavier, noiser material, is my favorite including amazing tracks by Koufar, Climax Denial and ALLxFORxTHIS (this last one surprised me, it is a really fucking good track). The Focus side is more atmospheric, "caustic" and, well, focused. The best track on this CD definitely belongs to Gnawed.

Offerings - Black Master: Amazing satanic themed Power Electronics from Graham Moore. Next to Grunt's masterpiece Petturien Rooli this was one of 2009's best P.E. albums. Everything is created with the utmost attention to detail from the vocals and lyrics (which are sometimes buried low in the mix, sometimes loud, sometimes in Latin and sometimes in English including an entire track dedicated to the perversion of a bible verse/prayer) to the synth tones which range from warmer and sometimes even rhythmic tones, bass throbs and beeps to cut-up styled blankets of bludgeoning harsh Noise. Perfect release, I hope to hear more from this project as I don't really care from Grahams solo stuff.

Macronympha - Metal: Here is another one that I'm sure everyone has probably heard so really no use for a review other than to say that this is great, even if too rhythmic at times. 100% junk "percussion" and scrap metal scraping with "little to no effects".

heretogo

Grey Wolves - Judgement cd
This is my idea of good industrial! Not a boring moment in sight, just great semi-rhythmic pounding of the senses. Psychedelic as shit to my ears.

Genocide Organ - In-konflikt
Got this very cheaply to find out what the deal is with this band. I have to say I don't get it... Competent enough but nothing that would grab me as interesting. Maybe the effect would be better if this was played at ridiculous volume and in complete darkness... not really, actually, there's something too cheesy here for my taste.

Ramleh - Hand of Glory 12"
Now this is great! PE done in the way I can relate to and appreciate. Oppressive atmosphere throughout, nothing too complicated or over-stylish. Vocals are just a mess of screams and squeals, quite low in the mix. This suits me fine, I can remain blissfully oblivious to any message (if any) they might be conveying. I'm quite ignorant of this group's output, must investigate further!

Dan J

Hijokaidan - The Noise 30 cd box
just finished disc 12 and up to this point the box has been worth every penny. just amazing document over a amazing band.

Bestial Warlust - Blood and Valor Lp
couldn't find the Vengeance War Til Death pic lp so i had to settle with this instead. chaotic and quite brutal black/death/war/get.

bitewerksMTB

Mania & Bizarre Uproar - Charnel Heap: Two of my favorite artists go at it for one hell of a release. BU's side is slower moving than Mania, as one would expect, especially the second track which is my favorite and consists of well placed feedback slicing up a stuttering drone of crunchy buzz that becomes washed out somewhere towards the middle of the track by louder buzz and feedback and eventually shapes itself into a chaotic mess of junk abuse. Mania stays true to his usual approach as well. A lot more seems to happen on this side, it has more layers than BU, effect heavy, more movement and angrier vocals along with some more junk metal mayhem.

That's the first 'review' I've seen of "Charnel Heap". Oddly enough, I'm thinking I didn't do any vocals for my work but I could be wrong... Amazing that I can't remember!

Recently played:

CUSTODIAN debut cd
CEMETERY URN LP
TEITENBLOOD 2LP
DIOCLETIAN(spl?) cd- I have that I have to settle for the cd as the LP is $40 w/shipping from Invictus (they're not doing any holesale, only direct orders)

ConcreteMascara

Is that Teitanblood record any good? I was thinking about getting it when it came out, but I've never heard the band.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FreakAnimalFinland

Teitanblood is good, but... not THAT good. I think it is first of all too long to really keep the pressure up. But also maybe too "stylish". Too well done for the style what it is.

HERPES "Medellin" 7", 80's columbia butchery. Often nowadays sold for exaggerated prices and referred to Sarcofago, Blasphemy, etc.. but what this really is, is chaotic hc/grind/noise. Something what barely keeps in structure, most often riffs unable to be heard, just blasting chaos. Few upside down crosses and old english fonts hardly make it "metal".  Lyrics seem to be more political.

ASTAROTH "Aullio Sepulcral" 7", another columbia 1987 release. Devilish heavy metal with very crude sound quality. Some friend was boasting that he has ultra rare single coming on mail. Checked ebay auction with close to 100$ price tag, and thought maybe I should listen this more often. It is fierce and savage metal I got somewhere can't even remember where and when. But probably listened more now than ever before.

CONFUSION "hopeless" 7"If you ask me: the best ever released vinyl ep of any music genre. And possibly my most listened 7". Columbia, Medellin, early 90's. It just captures the violence, social misery and rebellious chaotic energy into muddy brutality. Because it's "grind", it is destined to remain irrelevant and forgotten, even if any day any time mops the floors with bands like VON, Teitanblood, Proclamation or whoever. Most often managing to sound way darker and sinister, even if it's purely lyrics of social problems of Columbia (confusion is the circle / where you can't escape / desperation in your mind / that brings insanity and suicide / we're condemned to live in a confused world / where only death make justice). Since it came out, remains big influence for majority of my projects in way or another.

GIL SAN MARCOS "Domes" 12"got this noise LP from guy never heard of. Great stuff. Kind of blend of more "free form" electronic improv and little new wave of american noise/"american tapes" references, but also much more textured and ambitious noise-compositions, which makes it interesting and at the same time kind of "vintage" feeling. Thinking of days of PBK or such qualifying as "noise", without having to be utmost harshness. 4 studio tracks and 2 live tracks, 45rpm. Two spins given, more is needed!

BORBETOMAGUS seven reasons for tears CD... was it? Well, some borbeto-live assults was listened with great enjoyment. It is good reminded that for harsh and painful noise, you don't need to settle only for contact mics and metal junk, but there are actually plenty of material to use, also with usage of traditional band instruments. They often have good range of possibilities to be mis-used. And Borbetomagus simply goes so much further than the traditional saxophone goofball diarrheah you see being farted out by endless amount of musicians in "improv"/"free music" scene. If there is someone who have not yet experienced borbetopower, I recommend to correct that mistake instantly! If possible - in live setting where the gentlemen really are in their element!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

I think Teitenblood is great! DLP gets alot of spins here & hasn't worn thin or runs too long for my tastes.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 12, 2010, 05:32:44 AM
Is that Teitanblood record any good? I was thinking about getting it when it came out, but I've never heard the band.
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 12, 2010, 08:36:40 PM
I think Teitenblood is great! DLP gets alot of spins here & hasn't worn thin or runs too long for my tastes.
Agreed.  One of the best metal albums I've heard in the past decade (easily top 5), and I believe it made my overall Best of the Decade list as well.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

RyanWreck

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 12, 2010, 09:16:57 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 12, 2010, 05:32:44 AM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 12, 2010, 08:36:40 PM
Agreed.  One of the best metal albums I've heard in the past decade (easily top 5), and I believe it made my overall Best of the Decade list as well.

I can get behind this. Awesome atmosphere especially in the more "doomier" moments, they even did some groove parts that somehow sounded fucking evil.

I wouldn't say it would make it to my decade list but it is one of the best Metal albums I heard last year next to "Execration of Cruel Bestiality" by Proclamation which, to my ears, took 2009.

FreakAnimalFinland

Perhaps it is more about tastes & expectations. I have always recommended Teitanblood to everybody, since I know just about everybody seems to like it. I can't hear much what would make it so special. I do have 2xLP, and keep it just in case the genious quality opens later.
I always considered Proclamation one of the worst fanclub bands. Seen them live few times, heard all albums. And all is lame. Very lame. It shows the guys who know what they must do, it shows guys who intentionally copy riffs from others (boasting how cool is to just reverse beherit riff and then its yours). It shows the package idea of songs/sound/artwork is been "produced" long ago, and now just replicated more.. and more.  All the good bands of the style (Blasphemy, Beherit, Sarcofago,..) made honest one (or two) album of the type, which made it superior, and let the style develop from that on. It wasn't product, or calculated thing where every move is prepared. I recall Proclamation taking c. 30 minutes to fix their vocal echo for live show. "no no no.. it must be  little longer and slower". Adjusting some stupid delay so it is 100% right. I'd rather hear metal which is 88% right. Allowing little chaos and unexpected things what allows sinister energy to flow free, and not just music producer mentality where everything is calculated from amount of bullet belts to what type of riff is allowed on album.

MACRONYMPHA "cut ups, drones and weird" 2xLP
First listened A-side with 45rpm and was like "hmm.. that was short!". Then realized wrong speed and listened whole thing. I think its very good album in many ways. Professional printing/packaging etc. Visually rough, yet technically sharp. No pixelated images, no blurry texts etc! Sound has to good early 90's quality. To me, this doesn't raise up to levels of "Baroque" or "Amplified Humans", because it lacks the sewere violent quality of those recordings, but like name says "cut ups, drones and wierd" is the name of the game. Occasionally the weirdo element might be too dominating (theremin or other high pitched goof electronics), yet in other moments monstrous and heavy shortwave and harshness dominate. Plenty of variation and good sounds.

In general, not just about this particular release: It is the quality of "cut ups" and chosen cuts of recordings that sometimes it gives atmosphere as if song just ended because of length. I think it might apply on D side of macro? Amazing great track goes on for long time, and then "click". Abrupt end, which seems to be there simply due side of LP ending. "Composition" itself doesn't give (to me) indication that track would have approached to end, but it's a cut-up from longer piece, which is almost in danger of being "removed from context" so to say. I think it has been under discussion on some 7" topic. Which is problem of many noise 7", when "song" seems like being random cut which starts and stop in a way, that you know it's just edit. Just small fragment from long piece which lacks the real beginning and real end. So what I say is, that it would be nice to hear more noise, where songs start, go on, and stop. Which show the whole arch of the piece, instead of being just best slice under format restrictions. Of course I should selfishly promote myself, that upcoming Testicle Hazard CD on Freak Animal is just that. Studio live piece, what is indeed complete. From turning on equipment to turning them off. It may not have the genious freakiness of disturning cuts like Macro has, where they suddenly change the whole spectrum of sound into something else, but it does have the atmosphere of.. ehm.. "song" even if being plain harsh noise.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

" I'd rather hear metal which is 88% right."

HA! I bet you do.

I like TTB more than Proclamation; the 3rd LP worn a little thin for me but I do like the LPs b/c of the simple design. I do wish they'd throw some new twists into the music. Proclamation is playing in Houston next month but I prob won't make it...

PLAYLIST:

Nothing

RG

Hum of the Druid - Societal LP
Hum of the Druid - Frozen Tropics CDr
Neil Young - Greatest Hits CD
Ascension - With Burning Tongues <---- !!!!! I need to get this on LP. Anyone know of distros in USA that are carrying it?

Quote from: heretogo on July 09, 2010, 05:04:35 PM
Genocide Organ - In-konflikt
Got this very cheaply to find out what the deal is with this band. I have to say I don't get it... Competent enough but nothing that would grab me as interesting. Maybe the effect would be better if this was played at ridiculous volume and in complete darkness... not really, actually, there's something too cheesy here for my taste.

In-Konflikt isn't really the best starting point for G.O. If you have only one G.O. release in your collection, it should be Remember. It's all live performances, and it's damn powerful.

P-K

all day:

Sigillum S : sigillum s  cassette