PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I think it's thanks to big editions most of all. RRR often pressed even 1000 or so. Thinking something like Bruitistes 2xLP is 1500 copies, and I recall same for Batz Tou Tai, but still quite pricey. But some other stuff, very good prices still today.

Few earlier this morning listened stuff I forgot to mention:

BLACK CILICE "Summoning The Night" LP
Altare
Portuguese raw bm. Ultra harsh sound, very linear and straight forward. One could perhaps compare melodic rawness to Vothana and such. 6 long songs. Vocals are distant howling what disappears in overall noisiness of stuff. I treat this almost as instrumental BM album. Good, but I think band works better on shorter format. Compliments for odd sized xerox pasted on generic LP sleeve. Not often such d.i.y. rubbish even in modern raw bm.

PIERRE HENRY "Malefices" LP
Finders Keepers
mr. Alfarmania recommended me this. Quite expensive soundtrack LP. It's experimental for sure, but more musical than his clearly musique concrete/electro acoustic albums. Perhaps less abstract work, but as various themes are quite short, it's very much puzzle like experience rather than long "abstract" pieces from older albums. Good stuff.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Ashley Choke

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 09, 2014, 10:29:35 AM
One of the best recollections of this kind of matter was seeing drunken vocalist of known PE group having piss soaked thong in his pocket. During live gig (where was not performing), taking them from pocket once in a while for extensive sniffing. Trophy received from shemale.  I recall this must be same gig where I was caught for wearing one, haha! Swedish army male thong/jockstrap bough from army surplus section. Baby blue color.

Hahaha classic night indeed!

Jaakko V.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 05, 2014, 02:15:35 PMPRURIENT "Palm Tree Corpse" LP
Tesco
re-issue of tape. And good one! I have this tape somewhere I think. Not sure if there was mastering done, but really sharp and violent. Maybe unusual feature is that vocals are almost completely clean. I mean, no loud delay effects or such. Of course there is distortion, but perhaps most of all wild overdrive from loud recording levels? Sometimes vocals crush entire dense noise layer away, like in Slogun "kill to forget". Everything here is very distorted, but at the same time all 6 tracks have distinctive style / approach. I think more Prurient tape reissues wouldn't hurt. Like said many times, often these beat the albums! This is Prurient at his most PE mode.

Just got this and got to agree, this one's really nice. What's up with the ltd 250? I have no realistic idea about how much Prurient is actually selling, but is it really so that there would be no more buyers for a Prurient LP on Tesco? I guess making 500 wouldn't cost that much more.

FreakAnimalFinland

I don't think 24 euro price itself is too bad. This is what many european vinyl releases do cost these days. But as there was no wholesale rate, just retail sale, those dealers who bought vinyl, often had to sell it for much higher price.
If release would have been available for wholesale rate - which is almost half price from this, I'm sure distributors would offer better prices.

It's hard to estimate Prurient potential. So much releases are sort of extremes: Either intentionally too small runs or in other hand huge amounts like 1000 copies, which seem to stay available for long long time. 500? Perhaps amount that would be doable, but not clutter any labels warehouse for years and years?

It's too bad that Hospital isn't dealing his own releases anymore. It has proven to be nightmare to even try order his stuff from official dealers. Wholesale prices are high, postage is extreme for smaller orders as distributor refuses to use other than courier services. I'd need to get few "Cocaine Death" LP's, but if official dealer won't reply simple questions, what to do? I'm always kind of amused when we live in times when everybody cries about bad sales and not enough orders coming in and still buying stuff is made unnecessarily difficult and hard.

Bloated Slutbag

(Tried to find a Toniutti thread, noticed that he is an oft-namechecked Special Interest, especially on the wings of the Broken Flag festival.)

Giancarlo Toniutti / Conrad Schnitzler - Кулáк (camma)
Giancarlo Toniutti, Andrew Chalk‎ - Tahta Tarla

Two Toniutti collabs sounding much like Toniutti. The former would be the bigger surprise, though not upon perusal all that much (surprising) given that Toniutti is the principle credited mixmeister. The Schnitzler reworking nevertheless a quite enjoyably wide-ranging exploration of all manner of meanderings, even getting a bit Schnitzlerian electro at intervals. I would characterize the compositional style as "false casualness", so seemingly carefree and at ease and yet thoroughly engaging for the duration; like some super-genius sound-manipulator under undue chemical influence lets loose his perv-visions upon whatever materials happen to take his fancy and you love the filthy slag all the more for it.

The latter, with Andrew Chalk, is more evenly divided, given that each individual contributor was given dibs on their respective final mixings. Toniutti sounds like he's dragging Chalkcorpse through an old abandoned sewage tunnel, not once pausing through all the bump 'n klunk 'n belch 'n groan. This is a sound I could listen to all day. And have done so. Repeatedly. The Chalk side tries to get a bit more ambient on the (recently deceased) ass, but to little avail. The same slow creeping drag through dirt-encrusted  crud-snuffle. This is a (dead-)end worthy of considerable exploration.

Andrew Chalk – East Of The Sun
The lengthy Winter Arc is as Andrew Chalk generally registers in the current brain. Very nice- floating, concrete, atmospherics, of the first order. But I was mainly reminded to check this out via the abovementioned Toniutti collab and via the thirteen-minute ditty, The Plain. Like gazing into the dying embers of a fire, the slow smoke-filled snuffle-crunch, plain hypnotizing, sedate, earthed. Did I menion my Tourette's? FUCK! (Dried up) Sticks and (rumpled) stones may break my (extended) bones but thi'shit forever floors me.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Andrew McIntosh

All hail Toniutti!
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

POLLUTIVE STATIC / BLACK LEATHER JESUS split 7"
Phage
It's quite weird how generic harsh noise piece is from Hutchinson, when I mostly associate him with extremely good stuff! Not atrocious, but still barely anything compared what he does under his own name. BLJ is pretty good here. Listened it few times and I can basically just complain about this dull way of making 7"s. Track that is not made for 7" length, but some session abruptly cut from moment when maximum time to fit on side is over. Decent noise sounds. Clumsy "composition".

THE RITA / DEAD BODY COLLECTION split 7"
Peripheral
huh? The Rita has been on my playlist quite frequently lately, but god damn what a load of crap is pressed on this 7"?!? Most impotent fuzzy crackles I have heard for long time. With some many tasty stockings and high hells, I would hope sound to be like throbbing iron-hard erection. DBC is better. To half way of 7" it's almost ok, but in middle of 7" track reduces to become same shitty crackles as Rita side was. All tasty humming texture and such disappears and I can't understand why anyone would bother to listen stuff like this. After minutes of nonsense, kind of big muff reminding pedal is plugged on, and some grainy texture comes as absolutely necessary addition. I just wonder how this kind of stuff is associated with "walls"? Certainly it is flat. I guess these days one could perhaps talk about FLAT NOISE. Wall still constitutes necessity of firmness and magnitude. Usually fall is able to hold some quite massive structures together. This release is just flatness maximized.

UMPIO / RONSKIBIITTI split 7"
Neko
This as completely opposite. Of course it's normal harsh noise, not walls. But example when grain, texture, heaviness and all that is present, but also massive dose of powerful noise energy. Very good side from Umpio. Ronskibiitti is finnish hiphop project what has people from punk scene. No party rap, but nothing very innovative either. Or what do I know? Or care? Won't be listening that side ever again, I guess, hah.  As a bonus, there is 34 minute spray painted CDR, UMPIO "Karu IV" recorded 2008-2010. Always a thing what makes me think: why cheapest silver surface bulk cdr for THIS good stuff? Noise, that is harsh - but not only harsh. Monumental.

FreakAnimalFinland

SPOILS & RELICS "Turner" 7"
Harbinger
I recall Steve sent me this with postits label "You will hate this". Not at all. Nice odd sound collages made of found sounds, tapes, all sorts of junky rubbish. It calms down a bit in end of b-side and really nice stuff actually. Didn't get anything out of their interview on latest Fördämning zine, but luckily music speaks for itself.

ANTISEEN / NUNSLAUGHTER split 7"
HHR
I guess this is the latest Antiseen split 7"? I keep still hoarding Antiseen stuff that I don't have. Two good tracks. Nice sound, traditional never failing vocal performance. Two good Nunslaughter tracks too. Death Metal in known Nunslaughter style.

VIHARIKOS "Oravanpyörä" 7", pff.. Fight Records, Tampere hc/punk. Need to say more? For those who like the old Finnish hc sound probably like this, but while I do like the old sound to some extent, just something quite repulsive in these modern bands. Little bit too neat, little bit too funny, little bit too Tampere.

USKO "Kullankukkula/Liipola" 7", Lahti sludge. Pretty good twin-bass sludge, self financed single. I'd hope more nihilism, more hating humans, but musically does it decent.

NO COMMENT "Live" 7"
Deep Six
Not all live recordings are worth getting, for others than total fanboys of bands. Of course I'm fan of No Comment, but also this radio live quality is tight. They play songs really well, snare is perfectly audible here what makes big deal in tight power violence face smashing like this. First they play side one on 7", then next side. Radio host announces it. I guess there was short break between "sides". Recorded back in 1992, released probably half year ago? Essential addition for any collection of power violence hardcore. Neat fold-out poster cover too.

Baglady

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 13, 2014, 02:18:25 PM
SPOILS & RELICS "Turner" 7"
Harbinger
I recall Steve sent me this with postits label "You will hate this". Not at all. Nice odd sound collages made of found sounds, tapes, all sorts of junky rubbish. It calms down a bit in end of b-side and really nice stuff actually. Didn't get anything out of their interview on latest Fördämning zine, but luckily music speaks for itself.

Great 7"! Out of all S&R releases I've heard, this is, next to the Sins Of Omission LP, their best stuff. The LP is quite amazing really. Will be interesting to see where they will go from these two.

THE RITA HN

QuoteMost impotent fuzzy crackles I have heard for long time. With some many tasty stockings and high hells, I would hope sound to be like throbbing iron-hard erection.

I have so so all consumed by my live source manipulation in the past while; be it covered in expensive stockings, women applying heavy make-up, women doing forms for me, etc. that the sound is simply a direct submersion in the movement - translated via duplicating that addictive idling sound of a vintage two-stroke dirt bike engine as you mess with the timing and carburetion.  I can definitely see how some can see the sounds as tedious, but always hope that some can also get submerged in the movement, imagining the process - again translated by the very the minimal examples of classic BLJ / MO elements and played at a very high volume.

Below:
Contemporary The Rita elements of a live BT. HN. performance
Vancouver, May 3, 2014

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: THE RITA HN on May 13, 2014, 07:16:16 PMI can definitely see how some can see the sounds as tedious, but always hope that some can also get submerged in the movement, imagining the process

There's the problem with conceptual art - it needs to be explained, and in performances' cases needs to be totally experienced.
Shikata ga nai.

THE RITA HN

Again, also dependent sometimes on shuddering, deafening volume.
Eg. a recent video below from Houston, TX featuring at around 8:35 spacial cracking and samples via an incredibly massive PA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXMX79BVjE

FreakAnimalFinland

This latter one has so much more substance sonically. That (as proper recording) on side of 7" would be probably good.

In case where it's audio-only release, I expect audio to work - even alone.
This has been case with pretty much every other The Rita release commented recently (say, one month?).
This heavily criticized piece, appears like it's in fully relying in theory only and noise substance is nonexistent compared to actually good works of project (which include old & new stuff).

If necessity is deafening volume, I would hope artist to capture it. I think there has been some talk in other part of forum (amplifiers topic) about necessity of LOUDNESS. If noise wall requires loudness to work out, I think one should attempt to capture such feeling. That noise sounds loud, whatever the volume it is listened.
Of course even human whisper can be loud, if you play it loud. But if you listen it quiet - you would have had artist who makes release to be able to amplify the sound and capture it so it sounds loud. It's like those moments when after show someone concluded how great was when room was resonating, PA was on edge of being ripped apart, windows were shaking. People moving nervously. THAT is the sound to capture. Not dull line recording, but resonating spaces, exploding amplifiers, etc. All that texture what made noise piece more than concept.

It's challenging, of course. But perhaps beauty of it. It requires actual action and talent, which can't be achieved by mere written theory.

Levas

Trying to catch up with the stuff that has been standing around for far too long so too much to listen to, but things worth mentioning

Decondition - Sukellan Tuntemattomiin syvyyksiin - pretty traditional German style PE, but good.

[Gone Dark] Bleach - Choices - Rather freaky release with vocals on the first two tracks being not pitched down, but also up, etc. not bad.

Hypnoz - Breath of Earth - also above your average release.

and Lithuanian Mountainside - Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short - rock, traditional doom etc. Not bad, but the packaging is quite annoying

THE RITA HN

QuoteNot dull line recording, but resonating spaces, exploding amplifiers, etc. All that texture what made noise piece more than concept.

That's the crux of the recording situation as some of the exact same lines and analog systems are being played live which I enjoy as a feature for any recorded piece be it something like Raionbashi or Werewolf Jerusalem.  It's that fine line of adding too much of the nonexistent 'theatrical' - reverb, echo, compression, gating, etc. to achieve something that is usually played completely untreated in a voluminous live situation.  

QuoteI like INCAPACITANTS very much, but, I guess that their power of art/music/noise comes from live acts, not from releases. No doubt one of the greatest noise live band ever .... Their releases aren't so good, but still classic.

Kelly Churko spoke about those concepts at length when conversation about some of the Incapacitants recorded pieces would come up; differently mastered CDs that needed different volumes.  Some like the Pure disc, the Bulb disc, and the Zabriskie Point disc are heavy and full right out of the stereo's gate while a number of the Alchemy discs have to really be adjusted and cranked to force the heavy walls of lower end to match the walls of high end feedback squeal.  

Sorry to sideline the topic, but yeah, there's always going to be the challenges of capturing and translating concept; fulfilling in it's difficulty and part of the ongoing process.

Anyways - back to reality; my listening patterns of the last few months:
LA BAYADERE - Minkus, GISELLE - Adam, COPPELIA, SYLVIA - Delibes, LES SYLPHIDES - Chopin (amazing how like any 'soundtrack' the music injects the content into your head - the lines of women's perfectly sculpted and moving semi-opaque stockings, etc. hence the music on REPEAT)
CON-DOM - Subjection
DEATH SQUAD - Death Textures, Acoustic Isolation
IUGULA-THOR - Opera, Penetration Practice Pledge