PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commander15

Sadio - Sophisticated Methods Of Torture cd

Wow, what an uppercut! Raw, brutish and coarse PE goodness that caught me by surprise. Acquired this in trade and it really blew my mind. Super seedy atmosphere combined with raw lo-fi studio live production really delivers. Brutish vocals, lots of analog delay oscillations, tormenting synths and ripping feedback - what's not to like? Perfect mixture of classic British PE impressions mixed with harsh noise and certain Finnish kovisnoise vibes.

Sadio - Questionable Pleasures cd

Another homerun but this time with finesse. Production quality is "cleaner" than in debut LP and the approach is almost as if it's more song-oriented? Overall feel is almost psychedelic due to even stronger presence of those analog delay oscillations and droning aspects of certain songs. Grower for sure, got to listen more to make final conclusions.

BlackCavendish

Pain Nail - Salainen Diktatuuri

Went looking for this particular album after watching the Nuori Veri interview on WCN podcast. Exactly the kind of stuff i like: a subtle touch of rhythm, haunting elements in the background, hypnotic loops and a good balance between noisier and atmopsheric parts.
Great old school industrial vibes in this one.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on March 04, 2023, 02:01:23 AM
Skin Graft – Final Judgment CD (White Centipede Noise)

Only just now getting around to listening to this CD. It has been sitting in my "to listen" pile since... JUNE 2022... shit. I knew this was going to be a really good album, but no clue what the hell took me so long. Well worth the wait though.

Next up on my neglected listening pile is the Worth Sacred Violence Noise CD.

Following up on this. Finally getting around to the Worth - Sacred Violence Noise reissue. Funny enough, I've already received and listened to Calypso and Hamper before throwing this on. Hamper is great and Calypso is very good but I need to spend more time with it, but today we are talking about Sacred Violence Noise.

Sacred Violence Noise is much different than I expected. A very dynamic affair with volume fluctuations and swings from loud harsh blasting to low-volume field and source recordings. Production is raw and minimal. The release was recorded and produced from a trip to Thailand and is very much shaped by very specific circumstances of the local environment and experiences. Sound sources consist of excerpts from a live performance given at The Museum of Contemporary Arts, the town bells, a communal loudspeaker, and recordings of the town's roosters if I've understood correctly.

Liner notes are extensive and contain details about the nature of the trip, philosophical and artistic concepts about communication, and violent grand gestures which result in generational global, political, and cultural shifts.

A very complex release. I think part of my initial hesitation in checking this out earlier was a quick sampling through the material when I first received it and it being vastly different than what I expected coming off of Oculus, Gone Down, or Roosting. Now that I've spent some time sitting with it, digesting, and absorbing the liner notes, it feels like a very personal release. I think it's going to warrant many spins to fully grasp and engage with the album further. Usually, the releases that generate this level of curiosity, intrigue, and questions warrant more attention and develop into our favorites over time.

Subscribe now for more of my reviews of last year's releases today!

Baglady

ARKHE - Taurokhton C40 (Narcolepsia, 2023)
Funny how I have everything by Arkhe except my own split tape with the guy. Anyway... The first few releases from 2012 and onwards were quite allright, but with Downstream (2016) he took a turn in what has proved to be a direction full of strange surprises. More eccentric and more introvert at the same time, and with the course set for the outer rims of space, the themes and titles nodding towards mythology, sci-fi/fantasy novels and presumably things very personal. A wild mix draped in simple austere garment. Stripped down, with humming and idling synthezisers being the spine. Nothing strange about that, but it's the far reaching limbs here - dissonant choirs, drums, odd loops etc - which sets it apart. I struggle to come up with a description of what this industrial nugget sounds like. It is a logical extension of the great Deep In Sleep CD (2017), but goes off in many directions while somehow remains coherent. Things that come to mind: Stalker, Leichenlinie, Mnem, Klaus Schulze, Joseph Hammer - Roadless Travel, 2001: A Space Odyssey. What does one make of that? Brilliant one-of-a-kind industrial.

Léarch

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on April 16, 2023, 02:11:30 AM
Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on March 04, 2023, 02:01:23 AM

Following up on this. Finally getting around to the Worth - Sacred Violence Noise reissue. Funny enough, I've already received and listened to Calypso and Hamper before throwing this on. Hamper is great and Calypso is very good but I need to spend more time with it, but today we are talking about Sacred Violence Noise.

Sacred Violence Noise is much different than I expected. A very dynamic affair with volume fluctuations and swings from loud harsh blasting to low-volume field and source recordings. Production is raw and minimal. The release was recorded and produced from a trip to Thailand and is very much shaped by very specific circumstances of the local environment and experiences. Sound sources consist of excerpts from a live performance given at The Museum of Contemporary Arts, the town bells, a communal loudspeaker, and recordings of the town's roosters if I've understood correctly.

Liner notes are extensive and contain details about the nature of the trip, philosophical and artistic concepts about communication, and violent grand gestures which result in generational global, political, and cultural shifts.

A very complex release. I think part of my initial hesitation in checking this out earlier was a quick sampling through the material when I first received it and it being vastly different than what I expected coming off of Oculus, Gone Down, or Roosting. Now that I've spent some time sitting with it, digesting, and absorbing the liner notes, it feels like a very personal release. I think it's going to warrant many spins to fully grasp and engage with the album further. Usually, the releases that generate this level of curiosity, intrigue, and questions warrant more attention and develop into our favorites over time.

Subscribe now for more of my reviews of last year's releases today!

Listening to the Chirping Head track on Bandcamp right now, nice stuff, thanks. How would you describe the previous albums like Oculus or Blood Possessed compared to that one? Field recordings generally tend to bore me a little bit, so I'd prefer to be sure in what I'm getting my head for a first contact... ;  )

Kovana: Club Catharsis
Waiting for the forthcoming Augmented Atrocity... An album I've been listening quite a lot by now. Well, I don't know much about the band's previous effort, need to check out what I can find, but that's the kind of powerful noise/PE blended with strong rythmics I enjoy. Just wished the vocals were a bit more put forward the mix and not so burried underneath.
"Are you lost? Yes."

"No hay banda. Il n'est pas de orchestra. This is all a tape recording. This...is...an illusion..."

Commander15

Putrefier - Cog Dominance CD

Recieved this via trade and oh my. Absolutely gorgeous record. This has this certain strong "old school" industrial-noise feel to it, well because it is old school industrial-noise record! Abundance of ideas and sounds are seamlessy mixed together and pretty bold flanger, delay and phaser abuse, or at least by modern "standards", are omnipresent here. Putrefier really wasn't afraid of using high frequencies or "weak" sounds, so there is this certain sense of power electronics embedded within. Physical sounds combined with damaged electronics work really well here. True grower.

KSNK - Murska CD

Wasn't expecting much because i haven't heard anything from KSNK prior to this album, but during the first run it quicly climbed into my personal top noise records of 2023 list.

There was Jeph Jerman and Vivenza mentioned in Murska's promotional text and they really are not far off as spiritual references for this album. It basically contains field recordings from stone pit / quarry of sorts. Clunky machines and soundscapes of some distant finnish stone pits. And here lies the real beef: it portrays the atmosphere and soundscapes of dusty Finnish small-scale heavy industry instead of clean, uniform and precise Middle European industrial complex. Broken rhythms and clattering sounds made by dusty machines and their loose parts, sounds of stone matter being reduced to a gravel. Tuesday mornings at the pit, foul tasting coffee and long cigarette breaks. No sudden screeches or loud sounds, no radical production tricks. Feels horrible to even write this, but it feels really soothing.

HateSermon

Infibulation - In Your Guts cassette. Self released, 2023

Short but rotten release. Good variety of sounds ranging from low rumbling to high pressure feedback moving in all sorts of directions that keeps both sides of the tape interesting and enjoyable to listen to. There's a certain sound quality that this guy achieves that really pleases the ear. Muddy and saturated but not at all in a bad way.
This is a project that I find to be pretty underrated. Most everything is self released with the exception of a couple tapes on Breathing Problem (one being a split with Interior One). Looking forward to whatever this guy puts out next.

North Central - K9 Frequencies cassette. Ominous Recordings, 2023

Often times when a project focuses on extreme subject matter, the release becomes more about the samples/art and less about the actual music. People creating something for shock value but the noise itself sucks. But I don't think this is the case here.
Musically it's a knock out. Blistering feedback and heavy blows of junk metal creating an overall bad vibe atmosphere reminding me of Taint at times. Sometimes showing restraint, sometimes full blast noise fuckery.  I'm pretty sure all tracks were recorded in the same session.
North Central presents some really inspiring sounds on this one, and if you can stomach the subject matter, it's worth tracking down a copy.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Baglady on April 20, 2023, 12:09:30 AM
ARKHE - Taurokhton C40 (Narcolepsia, 2023)
Funny how I have everything by Arkhe except my own split tape with the guy. Anyway... The first few releases from 2012 and onwards were quite allright, but with Downstream (2016) he took a turn in what has proved to be a direction full of strange surprises. More eccentric and more introvert at the same time, and with the course set for the outer rims of space, the themes and titles nodding towards mythology, sci-fi/fantasy novels and presumably things very personal. A wild mix draped in simple austere garment. Stripped down, with humming and idling synthezisers being the spine. Nothing strange about that, but it's the far reaching limbs here - dissonant choirs, drums, odd loops etc - which sets it apart. I struggle to come up with a description of what this industrial nugget sounds like. It is a logical extension of the great Deep In Sleep CD (2017), but goes off in many directions while somehow remains coherent. Things that come to mind: Stalker, Leichenlinie, Mnem, Klaus Schulze, Joseph Hammer - Roadless Travel, 2001: A Space Odyssey. What does one make of that? Brilliant one-of-a-kind industrial.

Thanks for the review, didnt even know this existed! Glad to see Andreas is still releasing music. A few months ago i revisited all the Pestdemon tapes and they're still extremely enjoyable. My Arkhe collection is much less complete. Need to pick this up and get to fixing the deficiency.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Baglady

You're welcome! And well, he ran out of steam and inspiration for a while there, I believe. But apparently he found it again, and plenty of it. Amazing tape.

INCAPACITANTS - Lon Guy CD (Harbinger Sound, 2009)
Have really taken this album to heart the last few days. First half points to where they are now, in 2023, with lots of similarities with the split with Savage Gospel, Zouvneree, the LP on Total Black and Oxen Man's Uneasiness. Fathoms and fathoms deep psychedelic noise. The other half, two tracks of frenzied demented live banker action. Some charmingly tasteless add-on sounds in "After Drunken Interview". Absolute joy, hearing them do whatever the hell they wish with such conviction. And "Club 24 Forever", the pure live closing track, is noise perfection. Brittle firecracker textures, whimpers and howls, torrents and sprays of electric tones and oscillations. Just ecstatic turmoil!
Don't think I've ever seen this album mentioned, ever, except in clearance lists in the classifieds section. i kind of get that, considering 73 came right before it, being much more of a "classic" Incapacitants album whereas this is less coherent and goes off in different directions. But in hindsight, seeing where they've gone since sound wise, Lon Guy makes sense. But fuck, even without taking their progress in consideration: lovely album!

Need Reduction

REVIEW OF ODMOWA'S "FERTILE GROUNDS" COMPILATION BY FRANS DE WAARD (KAPOTTE MUZIEK) HERE:

"FERTILE GROUNDS (cassette compilation by Odmowa)

Someone went to great lengths to create a cassette compilation that looks and feels as if it was made in 1987 rather than in 2023. The credits are typed on a typewriter, the images are obscure, and it's Xeroxed like an old-fashioned item. The subtitle is 'a collection of impossible music', which is nice, but (without going into a discussion) what is impossible music anyway? Sixteen pieces of old and new music, including an old-fashioned 'Introduction' piece. The oldest is by Pseudo Code, from 1982, and If, Bwana, Big City Orchestra, Knurl, and Mhlest have pieces from 2022. As you can already see with these names, we are dealing with some old noise music. Add to this Kapotte Muziek, Anal Character, Smell & Quim, John Duncan M. Wrzosek, Humectant Interruption, Smersh, Bourbonese Qualk and Solomonoff & Von Hoffmannstahl, and you know the retro party is complete (oh, one track is 'interlude'). One could expect a lot of noise music, but that is not the case. Sure, there is some of that from the usual suspects, but the words 'electronic' and 'experimental' come to mind when hearing this. In that respect, this compilation is also a fine reminder of the ones from the 80s. A good compilation is not about just one genre, power electronics, for instance, but rather has a variety of styles, so that its easier to recognize who's doing what here. Certainly, with Bourbonese Qualk and Pseudo Code, recognizing is very easy, but also John Duncan and Big City Orchestra. A most enjoyable release indeed. No true fan of noise and related music should be without. (FdW)
––– Address: odmowa@protonmail.ch"

http://www.vitalweekly.net/1371.html

FreakAnimalFinland

STEWART SKINNER CD
CD is short and works nicely. This has been talked with several people, that while being totally in favor of good noise album... sometimes aim to make "good noise album" may cause artist to show ever trick he got, and display latest gadgets or editing skills... while for GOOD noise album, sometimes you'd get great results thinking as if you were doing just solid C-30 noise tape, one track per side, blasting something good. This one, I do not know did he intend it to be "CD album", or was it possinly just some sort of half an hour noise session, that simply became CD?
It is harsh noise, played live, with all the "flaws" and odd sounds remaining there. Wanky electronics in middle of harshness. Loud, fast and full of energy, but somewhat playful - meaning not stereotypically aggro, or dark. I listened this few times at work, yet at home, stereo system is better, not to mention drinks, so sounding even better than before.

John Duncan / Carl Michael Von Hausswolff "Stun shelter" CD + book
I have mixed feelings about sound installations. I guess its been discussed elsewhere, but basically it has been studied that most people observe art in gallery or museum in form of... passing by. You see the piece while... walking away. In case of sound art, I doubt I have EVER stayed long enough in gallery to listen entire piece. Not that I remember. It makes situation quite awkward to think that you kind of like what you hear, but... how long am I supposed to stand here next to speakers.. or with headphones? This CD of Duncan and Hausswolff makes me feel a bit the same. CD and big book filled with images plus artist CV's, artists introductions, partially good, partially the most tiresome art-world jargon I can barely read. I like their work, and this CD is good for what it is. Ultra sonic high pitched electronics, low bass drones, japanese adulf movie sounds, some abstracted narrations. What's not to like?! But despite that, I find myself thinking how much more? In some more monotonic moments it feels as if it really is the gallery piece, that is meant for people who will hear fragment of it, with no intent to listen entire album... and not really miss anything.

Totally opposite is Primitive Wings "Morphosis" CD. Listened this multiple times, couple different speakers. It is never dull, never makes you think.. "is this it?", but keeps giving more and stays interesting all the time. Debut album is only kind-of-debut, since man is known for his work under several names before. He appears to take leap to new things. There are some known Vanhala traits here, most notable is the master level craftmanship and taste. But change of name is also perfectly justifified, since he seems to take leap away from many former expressions. It is debatable if this is harsh noise? It is noise, but in ways of... fine art. No smashing things. No feedback. No violent aggression. It abandons the cut up, it has no metal junk in "that way". Tape noise is there, but in less obvious form. There seems to be conscious way of rejecting what has been done plus perhaps also what is commonly done by others, but it still is still absolutely under realm of NOISE. Absolutely. Just noise where magic is in detail and nuance and not in how crunchy or brutal it is.

LETHE "Catastrophe point#5" CD
Ever heard people appreciate this LETHE cd? Think those times when you read noise sessions taking place in sewers or whatever, and... hearing them and it doesn't sound quite like you'd want them to sound. This Lethe CD sound just about like that, but is field recordings and bunch of other echoing sounds. Not sure if this is one of those CD's label threw into dumpster while moving, but judging by prices at discogs, it ain't rare by any means. You can still now get great disc for couple of bucks. Japanese sound artists, neat digipak, excellent sound that with different name and different graphics would be probably worshipped as dark and gloomy strange sewer rituals and horns drones...

V/A RECONSTRUCTION OF RUINS CDR
2007 CDR on Thirdorgan's label, being Government Alpha remix comp! One of the best things being of course S.Isabella remixing Government Alpha! Remixing your own stuff under other name! Damn!  Makes me think why never occurred to my mind there would be possible to make.... Silence of Vacuum / Clinic Of Torture collaboration? That would be next step from making splits with yourself.
On this CDR, you got Lasse, Astro, Contagious Orgasm, S.Isabella... but also several names of mid 00's scene that doesn't ring a bell now. You really need to check discogs who and what exactly where some of these. Most of stuff on this comp probably sound more like artists who are remixing, than Government Alpha stuff!

Yellow Swans & Cherry Point CD EP, it was some recent WCN podcast they mentioned Yellow Swans used to be big, but nobody talks about it anymore. Yep, from perspective of Finn, nobody ever talked about it here. Seemed more american thing, and CD's never sold almost at all. Not a bad thing, just reality of a lot of stuff. This CD, way more HARSH, into CP direction than what you'd expect from YS!

Gokuraku Ojo "Cased Antiquity" CDR is one of those before Brethren projects, partially same line-up that was in BOUND. Kind of weird industrial-electronics, classic cover pic used also by m3at s h i t s on one of their CDs.  Rare enough that this isn't listed even in discogs. Nothing that anyone should hunt for, unless being curious what David was doing before stuff he is infamous for.

Surgical Mental Klinik "The Unconscious world" CDR on Solipsism. It is hard to say what is the exact order of stuff, since same year when this came out, came out most of his stuff, including CDR on Freak Animal. That's 20 years ago, when I did couple CDR's. Stuff was good japanese harsh noise, that has indeed survived test of time better than many other things. FA disc came out without knowing he had anything else out. Then suddenly several releases same year. It ended jus about as fast as he had emerged, and later on guy made recordings as Satanic Mental Klinik as well as Sacro Mental Klinik that later still has soundcloud page for some sort of bizarre experimental hip hop... For those who like to hunt unknown Japanese harsh noise acts nobody seems to care of, Surgical Mental Klinik stuff is good to do! Quality stuff, but unfortunately just CDRs...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

MHK

Vihanmiehet - II CD

Excellent return and a step above the debut, especially in originality. The first track has very clear different layers of sound going on. The way the layers (beat, metal junk, electronics) interact keeps varying all the time, but maybe the track is a bit too long? It's fine as it is, but I'd be curious to hear a 10 minute radio edit for maximum impact. The second track works better as a whole to me. It has more static/droning quality and the beat enters at the exact right moment.

A topic covering Läjä Äijälä's different electronic/experimental projects, including the very early ones, would be interesting. I'm not expert enough to start one.

morbid_dyspepsia

ANONYMOUS - . (Kvnt Kolektiv) - actual cassette

Bleak black atmospheric noise. Very well composed but also sounds like it's falling apart with the percussion. Lo-fi and eerie.. Elements of of ritual dark ambient peak their head. Vocals dominate like Satan itself. Some subtle loops. Room changing soft guitar and more dark loops accompanied by clean melancholic bass.. I don't listen to much atmospheric black metal but something I may linken it to could be Moevot (France) or Gauntlet (Australia). Second track turns into like a DSBM piece. Untitled and anonymous. Sleep paralysis. A dizzy dark maze of the afterlife and endless nothingness.
https://www.discogs.com/release/22552391--

SADOGHOUL / NEGACIÓN - NEGATIVE BLACK NOISE (Kellerassel Records) - actual cassette

Sadoghoul come through with heavy nonsensical rough-madness. Never heard of these cunts before. Cut up chunks of sporadic noise, similar in energy to Sadistik Exekution but way less structured. Drunk yelling. Not sure if there are lyrics. Drums and guitar noise mayhem seem improvised. Chaos throw your T.V. out the window. Barbarism.

Negacion hailing from Osaka, Japan (member from Zyanose, Defector, Framtid, Fearful Sparrow) produces proper noisecore with black metal influence. Drawing heavily from Beherit demo/ rehearsal tapes but also channeling Japanese noise and punk gods - Confuse, Gloom, Masonna. This is so fucking amazing. Honestly no-one does Beherit worship like this except Witchcraft. I think Toyo is everyone in this band but it lists members "Necro Disfago",  "Nuclear Carnage A.D." and "Noise Penis Vomitor". This man will definitely be there when Beherit play in Osaka next year! Out of any harsh noise, noisecore, black noise, industrial release of this year this has to be in my top 5 !
https://www.discogs.com/release/25693246-Sadoghoul-Negaci%C3%B3n-Negative-Black-Noise

Also on digital playlist - Interracial Sex "The Restraint Of Animals" !!, Knurl "Acidamide", Barstool Mountain (Sweden), Corpse Grinder (Chile), Andrew McIntosh, Dominique Guiot, Rusted Shut, Jarvid 9: Gecko, Jehst , Egaheer (Poland), Pure Scum (New Zealand), Agonal Lust, Septic Noise Grinder (NZ), Vandal X, Butthole Surfers

morbid_dyspepsia

FRENULOPLASTY - s/t (Abhorrent AD HN) - actual cassette in hand

Turbo frantic noisecore frenzy.

"Penile-surgery obsessed madness made using a combination of harsh electronics, raw/pitchshifted vocals, samples of bodily functions (burping, urinating, vomiting, shitting...etc) and drum sounds made by banging on a mic'd gear table as fast as possible. All sounds regurgitated by Puke Dick "
https://www.discogs.com/release/25135702-Frenuloplasty-Frenuloplasty-

FreakAnimalFinland

Talking about turbo frantic noisecore...

Living Room 'The Cipher Tape' tape
Description said: Within the Living Room vista Matthew promised me something "extra fucked" for 'The Cipher Tape', and he delivered. Mangled noisecore, electroacoustic mangling, ghastly electronics, and uncomfortable tape fragments all careen through a constantly unsettled upset of brave edits and unintended consequences. It's cut-up, Jim, but not as we know it.

When this finally this week was on my tape deck couple times, I was quite surprised. Simply because I didn't really remember what it was supposed to be. Thinking there will be just... well, noise of some kind. It is noise of some kind, but very unique mix of noisecore and experimental harshness. It plays simultaneously or burst one after another, noise is strong and crisp while noisecore often sounds like room recording, but they blend in nicely, without becoming one mess. Some moments almost free-jazz realm (or lets say shit-jazz maybe? Not that there would be any jazz, just the free improv chaos), but always more harsh noise & noisecore oriented. I won't be hyping this up as if it would be totally unheard way of doing noisecore, but it is both good and it is different from traditional stuff.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net