PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V.T.R

Jeph Jerman - Arcane facture (WCN)

Spotted this from Nuori Veri episode of WCN podcast. Sure I have bunch of other Jerman releases, but this particular one I wasn't familiar with. Found the cd immediately from nhfa shop and goddamn this is pretty much perfect stuff for my liking. Swirling world of shattered glass, stones, wood, dirt and scraping of metal in constant motion. Sound is super clear and deep. 5/5!

HateSermon

Palokoro - Surukirjo cassette (Freak Animal 2022)

This was a blind buy and the label description is what sold me.
Very raw and primitive sounds here. If someone were to tell me that this was recorded in a cabin in the woods, I wouldn't be surprised. Distant manic yelling. Harsh metal loops made up of just the natural metal sound itself - meaning it doesn't sound like it was ran through any effect pedals. That's the kind of shit I like - just the sound of the object doing it's own thing. Tons of room reverb in there. Some spoken word loops in Finnish (?). At times very ambient with field recordings of wind, water, birds - especially the B side. Has some PE/Industrial parts too, but caveman style. I'm sitting here listening to it as a blizzard is on it's way to shut down my entire state for a few days. Good soundtrack for it! Add this to "Unique releases of 2022" list. I bought my copy from Malignant who I think still has some.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Cruel Map of Women's Bodies - I, II, III (Room 2A)

This is one of my favorite new projects this year. It comes from the Richard Ramirez camp and is simply described as, "Noise project featuring Black Leather Jesus members." There is no clarity on who is involved but it sounds like BLJ on steroids. As you can imagine, it is fucking DENSE. It's not Harsh Noise Wall but heavily layered and moving noise with a lot of texture. Each of the three tapes are labeled I, II, and III and each are c30s. I believe it's one massive piece strewn across multiple releases as they flow into each other perfectly. There is an extremely pleasing balance of screeching high-end feedback and rumbling low-end. They are all somewhat similar but somehow II stands out as the most pleasing to my ears. It's everything I want in noise from the "in the red" saturated tape sound and has a ridiculous crunch to it. It's difficult to keep up with everything from Richard, but this project is certainly worth everyone checking out.

FreakAnimalFinland

Smell & Quim "Nativity colostomy" tape
OEC
90's Old Europa Cafa. Lots of great tapes. This Smell & Quim tape looks great, and stuff is good too, but not noise! It is all the way dark ambient / dark drones type of stuff. Perhaps walks hand in hand with S&Q LP on Tesco.

Telepherique "Sound-Object" tape + box + art.
Ant-Zen
Early Ant-Zen, act 04!  Limited package with SALT Artwar is just 56 copies. Stuff here is partially good, partially it is drum machine electro beat sort of stuff. Of course no news for Ant-Zen guys that there are rhythm on releases, but this early releases of label tend to be way more noise & even power electronics oriented. Design and art was advanced at the time. 1993, that is.

Kosakai Fumio + Takahashi Ikuro "...Of Dogstarman" CD
Not sure if ...Ofdogstarman is the project name, or the album name.
One 70+ min piece here, late 90's drone. Electronics, some sort of reeds, neat stuff even if barely ultra classic. Together with comp CD I posted earlier today, this CD makes me wonder if there would be some noise/experimental sound zine able to make article covering Kosakai's output outside Incapacitants, CCCC, Hijokaidan, and look at his solo output as well as numerous other works very rarely acknowledged.
Back in 2005 or so, on first visit to Japan, I was talking to Kosakai and he mentioned he has boxes of dead stock in basement. Nobody cares, nobody buys. So, next thing I was buying all old Incapacitants 7"s and his 80's solo tapes originals...   Some had been at that point already like 20 years waiting anyone to want them. Needless to say, now almost 20 years later of that moment, all gone.
I would not be surprised if copies of ...Of Dogstarman CD would be collecting dust somewhere in Japanese basements? CD worth to grab if you like noisy organic drone.

Ahlzagailzehguh "Enemy of the future" 2xCD
Troniks
Despite being compilation, sound is so coherent and kind of uniform, that you can think of it pretty much as album. Sometimes it stays still for a while, but most of all it is cut up frenzy up there among very best of the sub-genre.

Ahlzagailzehguh "Refuse and Control" LP
Hospital prod
Had not enough of it, so pulled out LP on Hospital prod from shelves. Especially b-side slays. Really excellent cut up noise that has feet firmly in harsh noise blast. Meaning, not the "post-cut up" games. Not long pauses, silence or stutterloop zip zap. Just sheer energy of well done noise.

The New Blockaders "Live at henoeuma" pic LP
RRR
So, in mood for well done noise, pulled out also The New Blockaders live LP. I have feeling that I may have mentioned even in this group that I was at the show. It was 2003, and at that time. TNB had not been very active. Suddenly there is announcement for Final live show, so plane tickets bought to travel UK... But, final my ass!! Haha Of course now 20 years later, amount of final things TNB has done, is probably longer than things they did before that started.
At this show, mr. BWCD (Phil Todd) on stage, pretending to play, but didn't do anything. Just "anti-performance". Rupenus supposedly doing the live noise-mix at room, but not on stage. After show, brief meeting with Rupenus on back stage, but man was so hammered, nothing relevant could be discussed. And what is there to discuss really? Fanboy giving compliments would be just about the maximum level of interaction.  I am now absolutely as fanatic of noise as ever been, but one thing has changed. What would be the annoucement that would make you want to fly on other side of world to see it? Well, I guess 2023 Tower Transmission will be it, line-up will be travel wortht! but in general, as good as current day bands are, same urgency to see them live as "final gig of TNB"... hmm..  can't think name that would create such feeling. Flying from finland to NYC to see Ramleh PE comeback.. haha.. It would be interesting to hear what is "international travel worthy noise" for people now!

Illusion of Safety & Z'ev LP
Quite a lot of labels involved in making this happen. Probably good idea in times when would be best to have it available "locally" due shipping. That said, my copies came all the way from Tasmania!
I didn't check any background info when taking copies, and just assumed, due legendary names that this must be some vintage recordings. But no. Of course it is not utterly recent as IOS quite and Z'ev passed away, but it is pretty damn new. Plus really great! It has technologically advance things, but great sounds, great flow, good vinyl cut, good graphics. It reminds me of recent talk with friend. That noise vinyl is good as soon as not all of its qualities are bad. Sometimes you get warped vinyl, sucky sound, expensive price and damaged + shitty cover... But you can take certain amount of warp, extra price, maybe spine rip, etc. If at least *something* is good. Like noise itself.
With this LP, everything is perfect and none of mentioned flaws, and it is like restoring faith on noise vinyls, hehe....
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

MT

POW REAPER - "Ylläs 2022" cdr

Wild icy cold harsh noise ride down the hill. As there was lots of equipment listed in the covers, you quickly create an image of this. Snowboard is miced up for riding, and you can feel the speed, textures of snow. I would say this is more like harsh noise wall, there is stuff happening all the time but it is in the same "style" as in textures of snow and it gets more and more intense as you go on. Listener can close their eyes and vision a ride down to abyss towards death! Printed cdr with proper digipack.

UL.TH.Nekrolatria - "Vanitas" tape

First tape was a strong debut, having already an identity and clear vision of their material. Bloodstamped cover, as the debut tape, signaling death looming among us. Tape attacks hard, first track has potential to be a serious PE anthem. Second track is as title suggest, suffocating. But underneath the suffocating mass is a collage of furious and hateful vocals. Lyrics are not provided, so it's up to the listener to make up their mind of it. Overall to my ears tape has better sound than the first one, doesn't have to be cranked as loud. And the massive sounds get to their full power. Third track is a tasty collection of buzzing synths, echoing and twirling siren like shriek, that sounds more like a demonic soul in a vortex. Repeating vocals that come in rhytmic patterns, as intensity rises towards end with whips of metal clashing. End reveals percussions under the buzzing mass. If the first track had the potential to be a PE anthem, the last track "Roman Maximum" takes the cake. It is what I hope Genocide Organ would be today. Vocals that are delivered with authority and are beautifully drenched in strong long delay. Instruments of war are booming in the background, almost resembling like trumpets of war. Occasional smashing of metal, like a whip of Roman slave master. The atmosphere is so fucking great, and it gets more intense with a bass rhythm that joins the mix. A different kind of PE anthem. Highly enjoy the different perspective on the tape, again paving their own roads. Maybe the last track leaves so intense fumes in my head that I feel this tape was much harsher than the first one? Get it while these are still available, if not gone already.

HateSermon

Quote from: MT on December 29, 2022, 07:31:37 PM

First tape was a strong debut, having already an identity and clear vision of their material. Bloodstamped cover, as the debut tape, signaling death looming among us. Tape attacks hard, first track has potential to be a serious PE anthem. Second track is as title suggest, suffocating. But underneath the suffocating mass is a collage of furious and hateful vocals. Lyrics are not provided, so it's up to the listener to make up their mind of it. Overall to my ears tape has better sound than the first one, doesn't have to be cranked as loud. And the massive sounds get to their full power. Third track is a tasty collection of buzzing synths, echoing and twirling siren like shriek, that sounds more like a demonic soul in a vortex. Repeating vocals that come in rhytmic patterns, as intensity rises towards end with whips of metal clashing. End reveals percussions under the buzzing mass. If the first track had the potential to be a PE anthem, the last track "Roman Maximum" takes the cake. It is what I hope Genocide Organ would be today. Vocals that are delivered with authority and are beautifully drenched in strong long delay. Instruments of war are booming in the background, almost resembling like trumpets of war. Occasional smashing of metal, like a whip of Roman slave master. The atmosphere is so fucking great, and it gets more intense with a bass rhythm that joins the mix. A different kind of PE anthem. Highly enjoy the different perspective on the tape, again paving their own roads. Maybe the last track leaves so intense fumes in my head that I feel this tape was much harsher than the first one? Get it while these are still available, if not gone already.

Yeah really nasty sounding! Add this to one of the better releases I've heard this year. I was able to pick one up and it looks like there's just one copy left on their bandcamp page

expectorant

Quote from: HateSermon on December 30, 2022, 02:03:52 AM

Yeah really nasty sounding! Add this to one of the better releases I've heard this year. I was able to pick one up and it looks like there's just one copy left on their bandcamp page

Goddamn... I'll echo the sentiment here. Gotta love when a new project gives me that "fuck yes!" feeling. Exciting stuff. Thanks for the tip!

cr

Quote from: expectorant on December 30, 2022, 07:52:36 AM

Goddamn... I'll echo the sentiment here. Gotta love when a new project gives me that "fuck yes!" feeling. Exciting stuff. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, thanks for introducing! It seems I managed to get the last copy.

UL.TH.NL

Quote from: cr on December 30, 2022, 03:12:39 PM
Quote from: expectorant on December 30, 2022, 07:52:36 AM

Yes, thanks for introducing! It seems I managed to get the last copy.

Others can still check Freak Animal or Satatuhatta if they have copies left.

Fistfuck Masonanie

David Gilden - Noise Attacks The Suburbs c34 (Room 2A)
God damn, this one is heavy! Reissued this year by Richard on the Room 2A label. Originally available from a 1995 Black Leather Jesus/Sawgasm show and out of print ever since. This is a bit different than Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend as it's a more singular and focused sound throughout. One long 34-minute track and there are a lot of different layers going on creating an ever-flowing but incredibly dense sound. It feels like the full frequency spectrum is covered with lots of high-end piercing feedback sweeping in and out of a deep bass rumble foundation, with radio programming/music buried and decimated underneath. It almost feels psychedelic from a sensory overload perspective as there is so much going on it's disorienting. Getting excited for that massive boxset coming out next year from Fusty Jim.

T.E.F. - Wrought (Dada Drumming)
Maybe harsh noise album of the year... This is so technically well executed and the craftmanship is unreal. The album contains an expert level of cut-up and editing we've come to know and expect from the project, which is already such a high standard, the fact that he keeps meeting and exceeding those expectations is a testament to Kevin. I really like the level of dynamics here too, the album is well paced and there are some areas where Kevin explores more subtle and nuanced territories. Going to sit with this one and spin it many more times throughout the new year.

There were a few other really well done cut-up albums that make my year-end list and that Endo/Scum collab on Rural Isolation Project is up there. I would be very curious to see what results a T.E.F. and Endo collab would create...

Commander15

Sewer Election - Vidöppna Sår CS/LP

Had to listen to this digitally, which is a shame because this this album really could benefit from analog format or at least from decent sized speakers. Really, really good album. Junk metal handling in resonant space, weird loops and field recording feeling, especially in the second part of the album. First part slowly ascends from distant metal handling to intense screeching and creaking that has some lovely tonalities of a good free jazz saxophone blasting. Moody, rustic industrial overall feel, like some odd secret that leaves you puzzled and restless.

Lazrs3

Necroviolence - Tears of Change. 2022 I have been aware of this project from posts by creator on Facebook,so checked it out to review on my blog. Particularly savage sound, vocals screamed over the top. some parts sound psychedelic, others blackened Moog assaults.  I am playing it off the Gates of Hypnos bandcamp, the cd comes out soon on BeTon Raw. To praise it I like how tracks slow down into murkier sounds allowing atmospherics to resonate in the space and in contrast, the use of agressive noise accelerates the tracks as layers build up. A lot of ideas streched across the album.

FreakAnimalFinland

Couple weeks out of town, relying on bluetooth speaker for noise. First day home, and question is was the Aprapat CD this good?!?!

Aprapat "Hot Lava Shampoo" CD
WCN
Well, probably it was, but couple weeks with less soundsystem makes one appreciata the noisephile rust carving even more. I must have been paying too little attention when it came out, or maybe it was just because tapes sent standard high, and then knowing it will rule, and listening "ok, Aprapat, good!", but that it was this good actually. If you got to pick up couple current day finn noise CD's even for sake of general education, common knowledge of things happening here, this CD can be it.

Murder Corporation death files, CD
90's sample noise made out of noise samples. Raw, yet not as grim and nasty as earlier MC. Great CD nevertheless.

I was actually all day reading Special Interests next issue content, proof reading things and needing good things on the "playlist", to be heard while reading, but something familiar that it won't be taking all attention. What is more familar than
Grey Wolves "Catholic priests fuck children" CD?
hospital prod
Really damn good reissue done just about as nicely as CD reissue can be.

Organum & TNB "PULP" CD
This might be for old me, what Aprapat might be for current scene guys? It is about taking physical interesting metal junk screech into best level. Not so much efx, more about finding how objects can make sound. Not only great album to listen to, but can be one of those "you think shakerbox alone will be enough" -moments, where you set apart guys who just use some sort of junk to make whatever noise sound for pedals, or guys who use objects to carve really personal sounds.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Leewar

Cabaret Voltaire - Extended play A record i always come back to, simple, sparse and effective.

Manhog_84

Alo Girl - Bangkok

Urashima put this out on vinyl as well, but the tape version looks better. It adds the charm to have it in a black minigrip bag, with a stapled picture of street whores looking sad and abused as a cover art. Lots of spoken word samples and crude noise blasts. Okay and dirty noise tape but no urge to check other releases from this project.