PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Heretic Grail - The Hole of Treason cassette - Black Psychosis - first listen to this project. hadn't heard of it before getting this tape from Si. I guess this industrial with a hint of power electronics? I don't know but you get two long songs per side, each drifting into the next. pleasant enough, not super raw or punishing, but didn't make a big impression either. probably needs a few more plays to sink in at all.

Terror Cell Unit - Come And Test Christ cassette - Phage - probably the most leftfield TCU tape yet. I liked it more as an electronic album that gets harsh from time to time than as a power electronics tape. Reminds me a bit of Front Line Assembly's Total Terror albums at times, with nice mixture of political samples, squiggly electronics and occasional vocals. If TCU keeps moving forward in this style I'd say releases with shorter tracks and more songs would be the way to go to keep the variation up. but that's just my preference. definitely a tape worth checking out if you want something different!

Coffins - Colossal Hole 10" - HPGD Prod. - the few times Coffins has been mentioned on this board they've received a lot of hate. if you can't get down with this 10" I don't even know what to say to you. you probably take yourself too seriously. here you get everything you'd expect from Coffins with rawer production and the perfect length. this is one of those time where the demo versions of album tracks are way better. along with Buried Death it's probably the only release you need by them!

and a shitload of Anatomia. their music is basically a warm blanket for me.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

holy ghost

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 08, 2019, 07:18:11 PM
Heretic Grail - The Hole of Treason

Love this band - missed the last DLP and somehow can't track down a copy. Anywhere besides NWN and HHR I'd be paying $40 for shipping alone.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: holy ghost on May 08, 2019, 08:16:56 PM

Love this band - missed the last DLP and somehow can't track down a copy. Anywhere besides NWN and HHR I'd be paying $40 for shipping alone.

You can buy it from the band on bandcamp. Shipping is $18 to the US. And the record absolutely slays. Best one yet!
[death|trigger|impulse]

CLUBSCUM

holy ghost

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 08, 2019, 08:43:41 PM

You can buy it from the band on bandcamp. Shipping is $18 to the US. And the record absolutely slays. Best one yet!

That's a hot tip! Somehow it's $26 to Canada (hey man they're right next to each other???) but that might just be worth my while.... I regret not buying it!!

Peterson

Clubscum, maybe you could post some actual reviews instead of vaguely-relevant images to the releases you mention?

Decrepitude

Quote from: holy ghost on May 09, 2019, 01:41:37 AM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 08, 2019, 08:43:41 PM

That's a hot tip! Somehow it's $26 to Canada (hey man they're right next to each other???) but that might just be worth my while.... I regret not buying it!!

That's money well spent either way. Best DM album of last year. Also it might work well from CD too. At least I had some situations when I wanted to just wallow in decay and not get up to flip the record.

Might as well write something about what I've listened to while I'm at it.

Mark Bradley - Dreamstate CDr
Yesterday evening I had this sudden urge to dig up some old small batch CDr's to listen to. This was the only one I managed to listen to but all in all pretty good but nowhere near essential small edition ambient I guess using guitar and synths. Spraypainted CDr with a strange textured cover in sealable plastic. I also found a split CDr with Wereju that I might take a listen to today.

Steel Hook Protheses - Calm Morbidity
I have been listening to this very much the whole spring. At first the production kind of seems a bit static but with deeper listening there's a heavy hypnotic feeling on many of the songs with very well done creation of tension and dread without sounding like they're trying to hard. Some very well done sound design also elevates this from just another death industrial release. The A5 packaging is very cool too with very stunning visuals.

bitewerksMTB

Organum & The New Blockaders "Pulp" cd (Robot)- pretty much perfect as I've always thought Jackman's droning adds a lot to the scrap metal mayhem. This release has the Pulp 7" plus extra tracks along with the Wrack 12"& Raze 7" and ending with an  untitled track. I think this or some of it has just been released on vinyl but I like being able to listen to it all straight through as most of the tracks are reasonably short.

Clau D.E.D.I. "V.I.T.R.I.O.L."-  this is a rip of a tape from '84 on Misty Circles. Clau D.E.D.I. is the founder of Ain Soph. S1 is kinda what you would imagine if you've heard A.S. but S2 brings in some really harsh short wave-type noise. Sounds that really sit your fillings on edge & seem completely out of place as the first side isn't like that at all (mainly voice-tape, xylophone, some sort of string instrument,etc.). O.E.C. reissued it as a 3" cd-r  in '06 so there are copies available.

Does anyone know what became of Kevin of Robot Records? He was a wealth of information on industrial music.

Eigen Bast

Worth - Pompeii Treatment (Angst)
Twenty minutes of blazing hot, psychedelic harsh noise. Dynamic fried electronics rife with tension. Great fun with a killer layout. More visceral to me than the LP material. Fans of 00s American noise need to check it out.

Legless - Residual Damage (Angst)
Nasty stuff! Brought to mind Mo*te my first run through. Harsh noise bordering on hnw; very thick tone to the whole thing given how lofi the vibe is. Never wears out its welcome over its entire 40 mins; subtle in the way it creeps up on you.

Looking forward to the rest of this Angst batch!

bitewerksMTB

Die Schönste Musik Of Japan Vol. 1 (Geschmack Records)- interesting comp. that features very little of what I expected. Merzbow is manipulating & playing with metal but it never gets very harsh but threatens to at a few different spots; Gero. is pretty noisy. I've heard very little from this infamous act so can't compare to anything else; Incapacitants do a piercing piece but leave a lot of space in between the harshness to give it all a little bit of breathing room; Dissecting Table does screeching, quirky synth n' percussion; S-Core sounds like a gong (or cymbal) loop being manipulated; Grim is the noisiest here with Mauthausen Orch-type screeching & Self-Terror is the most obscure act  with a heavy, noisy loops that may be junk metal that changes over the course of 8 minutes.

Yrjö-Koskinen

RASTHOF DACHAU ‎– Blut Und Boden, LP
Revisit on account of the new cassette version released by "friends of Steinklang", but sold through Steinklang (still a bunch of copies available). The tapes are a little steep at 12 Euros, but if you're not fortunate enough to own the vinyl or CD, it's money well spent. The introductory track "Exitus" is one of them anthems we keep hearing about these days. "Was geschieht im Augenblick des Todens? Was geschieht danach...?" And when that distorted, filter sweeping synth rhythm comes marching in... Jesus Christ, it's Beauty itself manifest. Some might find this album, as well as much else of Steinklang's output, a little soft around the edges soundwise, but I'm so adult now that I really don't care anymore. I remember reading something about Mika of Impaled Nazarene judging "Soumi Finland Perkele" to be kind of a sell-out album, and disregarding Steinklang releases because of their comparatively high production value really amounts to something similar. "Total War" isn't a sellout/commercial track anywhere in the real world, nor is anything on Blut on Boden sell-out or easily digested - despite the fact that this may well be one of the most accessible extreme industrial/PE albums ever made. A perfect balance of provocative/in your face stuff and suggestive "social" commentary despite consisting mainly of clear-cut deutsch-industrial. Necessary stuff.

V/A - ...And Even Wolves Hid Their Teeth And Tongue Wherever Shelter Was Given, CD
A release that was instrumental for me when it came to getting down with the industrial sheit, and which is well worth returning to every once in a while to reevaluate my relationship to music and such things. Still all-but perfect. While I haven't followed many of the bands on their future pursuits, I still love every single track on this comp, even the less digestible ones, and many a love-affair with experimental and industrial music began right here. Old Mortiis (excellently resurrected lately), Ordo Equilibrio (only ever liked 1-2 track from each of their albums at all, but this was one of them), Mental Destruction (yes!) and so on... Incidentally, this album gave MZ-412 the opportunity to become my introduction to truly non-musical music. Even if it took a few more years to really "get it", I pumped the lifeless/soulless spirituality of "God Of Fifty Names" more times than I can count back in the day. Speaking of anthems, Deutsch Nepal's "Gouge Free Market" needs to be mentioned as well.

Alcohol and industrial is the way.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

l.b.

Quote from: Yrjö-Koskinen on May 11, 2019, 11:21:03 PM
RASTHOF DACHAU ‎– Blut Und Boden, LP
[...] Some might find this album, as well as much else of Steinklang's output, a little soft around the edges soundwise [...] this may well be one of the most accessible extreme industrial/PE albums ever made.

agree it's a great record but is much different from the entire rest of their catalog, which is closer to what might call "traditional" power electronics, compared to this first lp which is largely absent of vocals, constructed of hi-fi loops and digital synth etc. from '98, you'd think by now people would have moved on from griping about the (admittedly sometimes-corny) "over"-production of steinklang, cmi, loki found etc. after 20 years cant we get over "necro" tape sound?

ConcreteMascara

The Haters - Death-Defying Sickness CD - Noisopoly - I bought this at least 5 years ago and I don't think I've ever listened to it. found it while re-organizing some shit and I'm happy I did. just a massive, slowly moving wave of noise for an hour. i love the delightful baseline tone in the mid/right channel that keeps everything static and moving simultaneously. and then it's a lot of left-of-mid harsh coming in and out, regularly modulated. it's not easy to keep any piece of music engage for an hour straight but The Haters make it seem fucking easy here.
[death|trigger|impulse]

Acne

Sigillum S ‎– Trance Flexure - I haven't listened to Sigillum S in a while, I love Bardo Thos-Grol and used that as inspiration to make some dark ambient stuff a few years ago but never really revisited. Didn't realize that TF was the first release and listened to it while walking around on this awesome sunny day - great vocals and some awesome synth driven dark ambient, some of the vocals right towards the beginning of the album didn't seem to fit and a few times i found the transitions to be a bit jarring but overall it was awesome especially for 1986. Found myself wanting to take a halfstep back from making harsh noise to smoothing things out a bit.

bitewerksMTB

The New Blockaders "The History of Nothing" cd (siren) & 2 discs from the " Gesamtnichtswerk" 4-disc set

Both releases are pretty much mandatory if you're into TNB esp. the 4-disc set as it has the early work plus some unrel. early work that was re-worked later on. It's interesting comparing the debut LP as it isn't very harsh. It has its moments of brutal scraping but it's mostly dragging & some weird popping-type sounds. I'll be getting to the final 2 discs soon.

The best piece on "T.H.O.N." is an unrel.'d track that was reworked into a sort of cut-up track that has looped music with some very harsh noise sections.

Did anyone here get to experience TNB live in the early '80s? Was it the brothers plus others as members; what type of junk, etc.? I'm not sure I've ever seen photos or read anything..