Special Interest
April 19, 2019, 06:39:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 480 481 482 483 484 485 [486] 487 488 489 490 491 492 493
  Print  
Author Topic: PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS  (Read 2158871 times)
online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #7275 on: March 03, 2019, 06:45:04 PM »

ONE DARK EYE - Death Is Knocking At The Door - C46 (Kadef)
Credited to Roemer and Liz Fox, but it reeks of Stella all over. Has all the typical ODE ingredients such as wailing spacy drones, psychedelic cutups, tape warble, voice samples, cats arguing, loops, mushroomy stuff etc. Some fine harsher blasts spread out here and there as well. All arranged in a solid mix, very varied yet still held together. I like this one just as much as I like the more well known Manic Depression and Transmissions Of Fistulae Auris. Beautiful stuff! A very generous edition of 30 copies from 1997, so happy hunting. But I'm quite sure Stella reissued it a year ago or so. Recommended!

You are most correct re Stella.

See Rodger quote: Originally released in 1997 on the KDF label. This is one of the many Rodger Stella recordings Joe Roemer released under his own name using Stella's tracks without crediting him. High quality sound recorded by Stella in the early to mid 1990s mixing various styles veering from psychedelic drones to crunching hard noise and rhythmic loops.  Released here for the first time with proper credits.
Bloated Slutbag
Diehard user

« Reply #7276 on: March 04, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »

W.David Oliphant of Life Garden, Maybe Mental, others, recently remastered and re-upped pretty much the sum total of his entire output to date. Current year, and going back to 1979. Spread over a number of bandcamps. But conveniently collected at this hub

https://wdavidoliphant.wixsite.com/movescreamsing/store

which includes various musings plus details of his recent work on the "prepared computer".

I wasn't sure where to post this. The LG ensemble would stray through various strains of ethno and dark ambient, delivered via wide array of eastern flavored instrumentation,percussion, bells, gongs, voice, electronics, but Maybe Mental is firmly rooted in the experimental urgings of 80s industrial and ranges all the hell over. There's even a "hard rhythm and noise project" that, quote horrifically celebrates the music and artists that inspired my early love of experimental music. Krautrock, King Crimson, Stockhausen, Cage, Gong, Henry Cow, Zappa, Beefheart and a billion more unquote.

My favorites include a vaguely tibetan-flavored ambient project he calls Rag Dun and things filed under "wdo solo work", such as Music From Another Earth ("difficult ambient") and Psychic Horse Head ("sonic madness"). The difficult ambient sounds like the slow, reverberant, dragging of metals or gongs across desolate grey-tinged industrial garage-scapes, though much it scans as rather serene. The Psychic Horse Head is split over three albums of sometimes warped sometimes straight psychedelic slash ethnic strains with titles like Spontaneous Tiny Horse Morphing Elephant.

I suppose folk with more peculiarly special interests would dig something like "Metal On Metal" from 1981-

https://wdavidoliphant.bandcamp.com/track/metal-on-metal

...pretty much does what it say on the tin.

Regardless, there's a good range of (mostly) well-honed skills brought to bear. Worth checking out.

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag
Baglady
Heavy user

« Reply #7277 on: March 04, 2019, 02:55:14 PM »

THE RITA / TASKMASTER - C75 (Enterruption)
Quite a mammoth of a split and collaboration cassette from 2008. A pity the edition was so small. 50 copies for a tape of this length, with two quite big names? A bit of a waste. Either way. Two 18 minute solo tracks on side A and a 37 minute collaboration on the flipside. THE RITA's track "The Construction of the A.N.T.I. Cage" is a restrained beast. Snappy strangled crackle struggling to cut loose, and after what seems like an eternity, the crackle does roam free. It's a decent track in itself, but as the title suggests it might be a study/homage of the old BLJ tape A.N.T.I. (and also referred to as a cage), I appreciate even more. TASKMASTER's solo piece "From Flesh to Stone" raises the bar another notch. Not as bass heavy as I expected, but with fantastic chafing textures, excellent changes in timbre throughout, and a good pace and movement. Right up my alley! The collaboration on side B then, "The Miner & Harry Warden". Again, not as much meat in the lowest register as one might expect, but a bit more focus on scorching mids. Keeping the momentum for 37 minutes is a challenge, but these two fellas make it seem easy. A heavy almost motor-like rumble runs like a spine throughout the track, with burning highs and rumbling lows chasing eachother around it. Well places surges in volume and intensity keep you in your seat, and no part outstays its welcome or passes too quickly. Great stuff!
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #7278 on: March 04, 2019, 05:10:28 PM »

THE RITA's track "The Construction of the A.N.T.I. Cage" is a restrained beast. Snappy strangled crackle struggling to cut loose, and after what seems like an eternity, the crackle does roam free. It's a decent track in itself, but as the title suggests it might be a study/homage of the old BLJ tape A.N.T.I. (and also referred to as a cage), I appreciate even more.

As mentioned in Sam's interview in the new Absurd Exposition zine!

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
DSOL
user

« Reply #7279 on: March 04, 2019, 05:48:23 PM »

Pissgrave - Posthumous Humiliation- picks up right where the 2nd album left off. sounds like Deicide if they smoked meth instead of taking steroids

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
totalblack
user

« Reply #7280 on: March 04, 2019, 06:21:47 PM »

Pissgrave - Posthumous Humiliation- picks up right where the 2nd album left off. sounds like Deicide if they smoked meth instead of taking steroids

Really good album, one of the only death metal bands i've heard that can approach the violence of Conqueror

andy vomit
Heavy user

FILTH

« Reply #7281 on: March 04, 2019, 09:28:16 PM »

perfect description

thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com
Zeno Marx
Diehard user

« Reply #7282 on: March 05, 2019, 07:47:52 PM »

W.David Oliphant of Life Garden, Maybe Mental, others, recently remastered and re-upped pretty much the sum total of his entire output to date. Current year, and going back to 1979...

Regardless, there's a good range of (mostly) well-honed skills brought to bear. Worth checking out.
He's brilliant and impressive.  I've been very slowly working through his bandcamps for maybe two years now?  Some of those "albums" are massive and take me a week to absorb.

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
Cementimental
Diehard user

« Reply #7283 on: March 05, 2019, 09:09:36 PM »

W.David Oliphant of Life Garden, Maybe Mental, others, recently remastered and re-upped pretty much the sum total of his entire output to date. Current year, and going back to 1979...

He's brilliant and impressive.  I've been very slowly working through his bandcamps for maybe two years now?  Some of those "albums" are massive and take me a week to absorb.

Oh wow, yeah this is great stuff indeed, had never heard of him till now. Thanks for posting!

Baglady
Heavy user

« Reply #7284 on: March 07, 2019, 10:21:18 AM »

VAT - Bitch Quartet - CS (Everything As Dung)
The last (?) release from this shortlived but fantastic project. Full on harsh noise that relies much more upon the attitude, approach and ATTACK of the fella responsible rather than his skills and ability to carefully structure his zillion layers. Not saying he's clueless behind his gear, but you know... Varied, wild and very angry. Listening to the last few Vat tapes feels like being stuck at a party where someone loses it, and while you're  a bit scared, you still don't want to leave. And it makes me wonder, where are the Crack Fierces, Vats, RoboChanMen etc of today? Has that kind of literally savage yet very convincing breed of noise artist always been rare, or am I just imagining that they were larger in numbers in the past? As much as I can enjoy a thoroughly planned, composed and skillfully recorded noise album, this is what makes my blood boil. We're seeing quite a surge of talents in harsh noise now, but I would like to see more wild oddballs as well. A shame he killed the project and left noise all together just when it started getting seriously great (with this cassette and Bubble Probe on New Forces).
PedestrianOrgans
user

« Reply #7285 on: March 07, 2019, 02:41:24 PM »

The last (?) release from this shortlived but fantastic project. Full on harsh noise that relies much more upon the attitude, approach and ATTACK of the fella responsible rather than his skills and ability to carefully structure his zillion layers. Not saying he's clueless behind his gear, but you know... Varied, wild and very angry. Listening to the last few Vat tapes feels like being stuck at a party where someone loses it, and while you're  a bit scared, you still don't want to leave. And it makes me wonder, where are the Crack Fierces, Vats, RoboChanMen etc of today? Has that kind of literally savage yet very convincing breed of noise artist always been rare, or am I just imagining that they were larger in numbers in the past? As much as I can enjoy a thoroughly planned, composed and skillfully recorded noise album, this is what makes my blood boil. We're seeing quite a surge of talents in harsh noise now, but I would like to see more wild oddballs as well. A shame he killed the project and left noise all together just when it started getting seriously great (with this cassette and Bubble Probe on New Forces).

Dang, I wasn’t aware that project died entirely... Loved Bubble Probe and am still hoping to find a copy of this one sometime.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #7286 on: March 07, 2019, 04:19:35 PM »

The last (?) release from this shortlived but fantastic project. Full on harsh noise that relies much more upon the attitude, approach and ATTACK of the fella responsible rather than his skills and ability to carefully structure his zillion layers. Not saying he's clueless behind his gear, but you know... Varied, wild and very angry. Listening to the last few Vat tapes feels like being stuck at a party where someone loses it, and while you're  a bit scared, you still don't want to leave. And it makes me wonder, where are the Crack Fierces, Vats, RoboChanMen etc of today? Has that kind of literally savage yet very convincing breed of noise artist always been rare, or am I just imagining that they were larger in numbers in the past? As much as I can enjoy a thoroughly planned, composed and skillfully recorded noise album, this is what makes my blood boil. We're seeing quite a surge of talents in harsh noise now, but I would like to see more wild oddballs as well. A shame he killed the project and left noise all together just when it started getting seriously great (with this cassette and Bubble Probe on New Forces).

Dang, I wasn’t aware that project died entirely... Loved Bubble Probe and am still hoping to find a copy of this one sometime.

Awesome project. I've got a couple of the tapes from 2013-2014, but I haven't listened to them in a while. Will have to dig them out.

I was lucky enough to see him live in June or July of 2014 for the "Rotten Contingent" release show MAPS put on. Absolutely killer set, one of the best of that night! Just relentless blasting harsh noise.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:14:33 PM by ConcreteMascara » Logged

Baglady
Heavy user

« Reply #7287 on: March 07, 2019, 05:20:19 PM »

He sort of disappeared for a long time. But a year ago or two he wrote me and seemed quite eager to start recording again, but I havent heard from him since.
I really engourage any fan of Vat to seek out the UNPENIS stuff as well. Same unhinged approach but with a slightly wider scope of sounds. The tape on Everything As Dung in particular.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #7288 on: March 07, 2019, 07:18:20 PM »

Digging into some Swedish noise, old and new, the past few days.

Ochu - Unproduktiw LP - Verlautbarung - I have limited familiarity with Ochu, having only the Brick Windows tape and a few comps which he's on. While perhaps it's untrue, it feels like with Ochu and so many Swedish artists, if you don't live in Sweden you're not going to get a lot of the tapes. And the old ones rarely show up for sale. but anyways, this mini-LP is excellent to my ears. The sound sources and textures are lightly layered allowing each to shine and do their thing. it reminds me of some of the queasier and more stripped-down Sewer Election releases, but infinitely more laid back. slightly reminiscent of Force Neurotic releases but mostly akin to releases on Jartecknet more than anything else. the second track on the B-side is especially ear-catching with it's bass frequency oriented sound. had to rewind that one a few times. on the whole this record is relatively short and to the point, but the music is so effective and effectively paced it feels extremely satisfying. definitely one that will be getting a lot of plays for the foreseeable future. I think I admire this most because there's such a deft touch compared to my own ham-fisted approach to sound.

Ochu - Brick Windows cassette - Kick Acid - inspired by Unproduktiw I pulled this one from the stacks. a very different feeling than the newest release. much closer to what I think of when I think Swedish full-on harsh noise. lots of churning blasting murk, but not so much hi-freq abuse. the a-side is solid but the b-side is better. One long track that eventually disintegrates into foreboding ambience. real fuckin' nice.

VMS Elit - Fumes CDr - Hologram Label - been wanting to check this project out for a year+ now so happy to finally get something. I love this little resurgence of harsh noise CDrs i've been seeing lately. brings me back to when i first got into noise and CDrs were everywhere. I digress, this little CDr is fucking nasty. tons of super damaged and frayed sounds. like a mouth full of asphalt grit or the sound of tape player on its last leg, blasting for all its worth. layers and layers of damaged sound that's almost rhythmic in it's bumpy texture. is all VMS Elit this good? Because if so, I've been asleep too long.

Irgun Z'wai Leumi - Klirrfaktor LP - Verlautbarung  - first spin was accidentally on 45RPM and still sounded pretty good, although not as spooky as expected. 2nd spin at correct RPM was much spookier than expected. since I'm not wildly wealthy, all of the Projekt Hat LPs are out of my price range so I can't compare, but this album certainly stands alone in its excellence. been ogling it for ages and finally got it from Skeleton Dust last week. you hear the descriptor "sound of abandoned factories" so many times it almost loses meaning, and then you hear an album like this and you can't think of anything else. hollow and haunted music that puts most dark ambient to shame as far as atmosphere and desolation. looking forward to getting to know this record more fully.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #7289 on: March 07, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »

IRM "Order4" cd (Cold Meat) & "Cult of the Young Men" cd (Annihilvs)- the CM cd is a full-length that is quite excellent ranging from industrial to heavy PE sections. Love the piano sounds. Only complaint is lazy artwork. Nice cover image but that's all. Loose booklet just has lyrics. RK/MB should be kicked in the shins for choosing packaging with no place to store the booklet. The second cd is mainly live work so you get some really frenzied electronics, junk metal sounds, processed vocals, etc. Both releases are recommended & can be found very affordable (Big Loaf aka Groundfault has the live cd for $5 on Discogs or he did...).

Concrete Mascara"Repression" cd (Antipatik)- Jeez, CM just loves torturing electronics. Nasty feedback, some repeated synth tones, highly distorted vocals, some film (?) samples and a lot of static destruction. This new release seems a bit more minimal than the last full-length but I'm not sure. I've pulled the Malignant rel. for a re-listen for comparison. Kudos for no collage artwork!
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 482 483 484 485 [486] 487 488 489 490 491 492 493
  Print  

Jump to: