Previous topic - Next topic

Kayandah

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 18, 2018, 11:00:59 AM
Quote from: PedestrianOrgans on May 17, 2018, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 17, 2018, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: Kayandah on May 17, 2018, 04:21:00 PM
the usual problem of quantity over quality output

Never bought this, but carry on.

Eeeehhhhhhhhh......Aube might be one of the few.

Now that I'm a little more sober, a possible qualifier. The project's strength could also be its apparent weakness. Singular concept, linear, elegant, subject to minimal variation over the widest possible range, of sources. Perhaps there is a formula but I would never say formulaic. A clear and po-faced method surgically severed from the possibility of madness. Plug into this black box and output a certain quantity. For me the qualities are best admired from afar and I'm good with that, don't always need to poke my head in there and try to "get" it. Plenty of other noise out there to meet that obsession.

I just found by the time he was putting out the Millenium series there was a drop in quality, things becoming less essential to listen to. I always appreciated the control he had in using specific source material

ConcreteMascara

Demilich - 20th Adversary of Emptiness 2xCD - Svart Records - saw Demilich in Philly about two weeks ago and the fucking killed it. Amazing that after 25 years, many of which they were disbanded, that they could sound soo fucking good live. Since the show I've just been re-listening to their discography on a daily basis. Since it's all here on 2CDs it's not hard. For a long time I only had all of the MP3s that were hosted on the Demilich website. it was only last year that I finally picked this set up.

This is a great example of how discography compilation should be executed. Perfect remastering, overseen by the band, that doesn't change the sound or feeling of the original recordings. Artwork in the style of the bands old artwork, accomplished here by using the same artist. And a great booklet with a long, well done interview, dissection of all the tracks and lyrics by the frontman. It's all here. It also helps that Demilich's discography is fucking impeccable. It might be the overload my brain is currently really from but I think I could say Nespithe is my all-time favorite death metal album, over Realm of Chaos, Necroticism - Descanting The Insalubrious, and Left Hand Path. But then again if I listened to any of those albums for two weeks straight again my mind might change.

Slugathor - Circle of Death LP & Echoes From Beneath CD - Time Before Time & Drakkar - never get tired of these two. simple but effective death metal. And forever hails to Mr. Unclean for getting me hooked on Slugathor way back when.

Phocomelus - Filthy Li(v)es LP - Bacteria Field - dense as fuck without becoming wall. just layers and layers of broken and harsh shit. from the way it was originally described to me I didn't know if I'd like but it's damn good. there are many fine details which demand attentive listening. after two spins it has me on the prowl for more Phocomelus.

Sverigedemokraterna ‎– Bevara Sverige Svenskt Cassette - Fusty Cunt - two long tracks of Swedish power electronics. this is not your F&V power electronics, no is it really heavy electronics. it's rough and repetitive, probably to a fault. as far as power, it's dialed in at 5 out of 10. but it all somehow works well. broken odd sounds, warped vocals, Swedish political samples. it won't blow your mind but it's not a bad way to spend 20 minutes!

v/a - Americanoise 2xCD - Audio Dissection & v/a - Noise War 5xCD - Audio Dissection, Industrial Recollections - grabbed these two legendary comps a month and half ago. April was a month of non-stop harsh noise for me and these collections were the meaty heart of it all. I often wait a long time to get compilations because so often they fail to deliver on their promises. and really I just prefer single artist albums but I'm kicking myself now for waiting so long. There is a consistent crunchiness to everything  across the 7 discs that you might think would get old but it never does. there are great tracks by artists I've never heard of, shitty tracks by artists I normally love, and weird shit that adds variety and breaks up the harsh noise assault. All of the tracks by Emil Beaulieau are fucking great, which I did not expect. the Grey Wolves track rules hard. the Taint & Macro tracks on Noise War are really fucking good too. Sudden Infant, Illusion of Safety and Evil Moisture all deliver the goods to my happy surprise, not being a particularly big fan of those projects. Don't know if I  could say one comp is better than the other, but Noise War probably has the bigger variety. Both look and sound great and are highly recommended!

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 22, 2018, 05:16:20 PM

Slugathor - Circle of Death LP & Echoes From Beneath CD - Time Before Time & Drakkar - never get tired of these two. simple but effective death metal. And forever hails to Mr. Unclean for getting me hooked on Slugathor way back when.

Have you heard Desecresy? This is a post Slugathor project in a similar vein and it's very good as well.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Baglady

AGIT8 - I Crusader, No Retreat C20 (Cipher)
A friend told me to pick up this somewhat anonymous 2005 cassette. Bearing the terrible name for the project in mind, I was skeptic, but I trust his tastes. Thanks T! Sludgy heavy harsh noise in the old american way, yet not retro by any means. People say this way too often, I know, but this actually isn't that far from old Macronympha, and parts of Baroque and the the atmosphere on that one in particular comes to mind. Clunky metals, blown out shit squeez, split channel confusion, some modest cutupping and whatnot. It all sounds very hands on and live mixed, too. Some shorter more musical interludes in the form of dissonant organs and horror flick synths adds to the dynamics as well. Terrible cover art, and I've already mentioned the name, but who gives a crap. Excellent stuff! Is the rest of his stuff like this?

bitewerksMTB

BIZARRE UPROAR "High Risk Lifestyle" cd (Filth & Violence)- first track is crushing; second kinda lost me in the middle but it picks up. I think I would have disliked that middle part on vinyl even more considering my turntable has been giving me problems lately.

SNUFF "IV" cd (Filth & Violence)- I made it to the fourth before turning off as it gave me a headache. I like that photo on the back cover.

MANIA new work- coming soon on a split tape...

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Kayandah on May 22, 2018, 01:54:59 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 18, 2018, 11:00:59 AM
Quote from: PedestrianOrgans on May 17, 2018, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on May 17, 2018, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: Kayandah on May 17, 2018, 04:21:00 PM
the usual problem of quantity over quality output

Never bought this, but carry on.

Eeeehhhhhhhhh......Aube might be one of the few.

Now that I'm a little more sober, a possible qualifier. The project's strength could also be its apparent weakness. Singular concept, linear, elegant, subject to minimal variation over the widest possible range, of sources. Perhaps there is a formula but I would never say formulaic. A clear and po-faced method surgically severed from the possibility of madness. Plug into this black box and output a certain quantity. For me the qualities are best admired from afar and I'm good with that, don't always need to poke my head in there and try to "get" it. Plenty of other noise out there to meet that obsession.

I just found by the time he was putting out the Millenium series there was a drop in quality, things becoming less essential to listen to. I always appreciated the control he had in using specific source material

Now that I actually look at discogs I'm more inclined to concede the point. While I wouldn't outright declare a marked decline in quality I note now that my own near religious pursuit of the project also (unconsciously?) declined round the time of the Millenium series. The proof is simply in the shock registered at how much (of the later work) I'm missing.

My initial chemical addled point was more plainly provocative, probably anathema to most on this forum. That I never completely bought the quality vs quantity argument. Something to the effect of: if an artist is on a roll, hey, why not just shit em out? The problem there may be in the shitter reliably recognizing the real shit from plain shit. Reminds me, I needs to top up me Filthy Turd.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

saw Demilich in Philly about two weeks ago and the fucking killed it. Amazing that after 25 years, many of which they were disbanded, that they could sound soo fucking good live.

Saw them last saturday. Indeed, technical Death Metal is not the easiest genre to keep your songs and stage presence in tight shape. If those guys didn't like what they do, it's unlikely they would reform just for "quick fun" or getting free holiday trips around the world. They would play tracks flawlessly, yet without feeling of "musicians". The way Demilich riffs and songs are, are quite different compared to many technical DM bands of today. Well, I guess different to many bands back then too.

Quote from: WCN on May 11, 2018, 09:53:53 PM
WORTH - Blood Possessed CDr (Prose Nagge)
Breath-taking, hypersalivating masterpiece of Baconesque noise. Structurally more narrative and less layered than the Blinder LP, also more revolting - drawn out slime passages, alcoholic dreams, insidious ugly musicality, compulsive tapping, blood poisoning, soiled sterility. Worth is making very important harsh noise, and this album may be the pinnacle thus far. Yes it's a CDr but who fucking cares.

Yes. That this is CDR, is basically only flaw you can point out. Or, lets say, that album doesn't end with high note, if you ask me, but whole 35 minutes duration is certainly album worthy material. It's almost like Chop Shop in a way, that barely mixing things song parts together. Just chopping chunks of noise what change rather abruptly. Always longer than Chop Shop does, though. Perhaps certain Macronympha releases could be also compared. Yet sounds themselves, fuck! Many of these things that may last minute or less, you wish were 10 minutes. There is always a lot going on, yet amazingly well done texture and detail. If I continue to name drop some veterans, there are occasions when I think of The New Blockaders at their best. I mean at their very best. That's the level of detail on sound elements. Worth - without doubt among greatest current harsh noise artists. I would advice to not overlook, not even cdr....

HYGIENIA -tape
Rotten Audio Waste
Return back to arkinoise pile of tapes, and we got the finn brutes showing how ugly and disposable noise tapes are made. One can't expect this to become classic release anytime soon, yet I'm quite charmed by the utmost rubbish noise and almost Streicher -like hoarse roars as vocals!

HERSKA "Overdose III" demo
Rotten Audio Waste
Could this be yet the best Herska demo? It's fucking insane! A lot of content will be unclear if you do not understand finnish language frequently used in samples between songs. Cutting up the fart and bedroom noisecore with retarded samples, results something which could be compared to Minch playing Runzelstirn & Gurgelstock, yet fucking it up, but during that process creating absolute killer material.

MK9 "Loss As Loss" tape
Backteria Field
I think this was already commented by... Bitewerks? That if in past project felt like therapy, now we are actually listening therapy session. Mk9 talking about dead brother and such. B-side is quite minimal electronic noise, which is actually not that far from old Death Squad wibes. Not as ripping and hot levels, though. More gloomy. Of course that suits the bleak theme. A-side might be the best sounding MK9 track in recent times. Therapy session with lo-fi noises on the background, yet also it is on level I start to wonder whether it is bleak or perhaps almost exhibitionist fetishism?! Not exhibiting flesh, but...

WONDERLAND CLUB "Live Stream" tape
Trapdoor tapes
One of project gaining name and recognition over last couple years. Good ripping USA power electronics! What else to say?

Altar of Flies "Rabbit Hole" tape
Tapeworks volume VII tape

Hästen & Korset
There should be new album coming this year from AoF as well as Mattias Gustavsson. These two tapes... So good, that one could simply keep rotating them over and over again. Same like Worth material, these are not harsh noise by any means, but same level of hand made, physicality, personality as well as utmost care for detail. Man has crafted his work to such levels that if these albums won't be later observed among top of the release of era, I'm surprised. I've noticed that AoF stuff hardly ever is expensive, but who knows if that changes at some point. I'd urge to grab anything now that fairly small pressings are available!

V/A ELÄVÄ OLENTO KONEENA tape
International Pääte compilation, meaning mr. H.Ö.H.'s label. And it looks and sounds very close to what he has been doing. H.Ö.H. with new tracks, but also requestion couple other artists to do the same. Living being as machine, like title translates, has 4 projects without synths, without fancy effects, without careful computer editing etc. Instead you got physical objects, piezzo mics, cymbals, pause buttons and tape players, etc etc. It is material what could have been technically done already probably 50 years ago or so, yet it feels very fresh - especially in current times. There is some similarities with this, and AoF / Mattias' stuff above, yet on this compilation there is specific anti-tech / gutter-filth feel to it. Not violent. Not aggressive, but disturbing atmosphere of noise without technology and without energetic frenzy. To me, it files under industrial noise, yet with luddite feel to it. Nothing relies on things like... Korg. Or possibilities of some boutique pedal. Just artists not replaced by machines.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

PedestrianOrgans

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 23, 2018, 09:08:57 PM

SNUFF "IV" cd (Filth & Violence)- I made it to the fourth before turning off as it gave me a headache. I like that photo on the back cover.

Could you elaborate on this? I've been considering a copy, but the only description I've found is "back to the harshness of their first album" and I only care for the "Kristiina" record. Worth looking into or just squalling single-tone feedback?

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 24, 2018, 04:33:20 PM
V/A ELÄVÄ OLENTO KONEENA tape
International Pääte compilation, meaning mr. H.Ö.H.'s label. And it looks and sounds very close to what he has been doing. H.Ö.H. with new tracks, but also requestion couple other artists to do the same. Living being as machine, like title translates, has 4 projects without synths, without fancy effects, without careful computer editing etc. Instead you got physical objects, piezzo mics, cymbals, pause buttons and tape players, etc etc. It is material what could have been technically done already probably 50 years ago or so, yet it feels very fresh - especially in current times. There is some similarities with this, and AoF / Mattias' stuff above, yet on this compilation there is specific anti-tech / gutter-filth feel to it. Not violent. Not aggressive, but disturbing atmosphere of noise without technology and without energetic frenzy. To me, it files under industrial noise, yet with luddite feel to it. Nothing relies on things like... Korg. Or possibilities of some boutique pedal. Just artists not replaced by machines.

Thank you for getting the intent of the compilation so well. I'll talk only for myself but Mattias is definitely one of my biggest influences soundwise (even if it hardly ever shows, but that's mostly because I'm only slowly grasping now what he does to sound the way he does) so thanks also for comparing our works to his.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: PedestrianOrgans on May 24, 2018, 05:34:35 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 23, 2018, 09:08:57 PM

Could you elaborate on this? I've been considering a copy, but the only description I've found is "back to the harshness of their first album" and I only care for the "Kristiina" record. Worth looking into or just squalling single-tone feedback?

There's more to it than just a high pitch single tone. Varying high to mid frequencies; the vocals are all very good (esp. on "Pig Men"). The track I stopped on had some low-end or low-end amp hum-type sounds.. I'll be finishing it up soon. I have two previous LPs but I don't remember what they sound like compared to this release. The debut was more ear-piercing feedback, I think?

Zeno Marx

Hadn't heard of them.  Terrible name.  Not into the vocals.  BUT...BUT...the riffs!  Also like the drumming quite a bit.  Wish it was instrumental.  Keeping it simple, yet interesting.  Thanks for reviewing them.

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on May 23, 2018, 01:37:47 AM
Have you heard Desecresy? This is a post Slugathor project in a similar vein and it's very good as well.
Sounds like I need to hear them too.  Thanks.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 24, 2018, 10:49:58 PM
Hadn't heard of them.  Terrible name.  Not into the vocals.  BUT...BUT...the riffs!  Also like the drumming quite a bit.  Wish it was instrumental.  Keeping it simple, yet interesting.  Thanks for reviewing them.

Slugathor drummer plays drums for Azazel, whom some people may have heard. He is quite brutal drummer, in good way. No technical gimmicks.

Body Stress / Yasuhito Fujinami "Her Weeping Echoes" tape
New Forces
Body Stress is another harsh noise project which has been impressing in several of new releases. I think there ain't that many straight forward harsh noise projects in Denmark now is there? It seems musical climate has changed quite a lot, or I am just seeing different things. But Body Stress, all releases what I have hear has been good. This one, exceptionally good. It's so ripping and well done harsh noise that on other side, decent noise from Japan doesn't get into same level of excellency, even if it is not bad at all.
It seems odd, that Body Stress has done several dozen short tapes since 2014, but no real LP or CD. Not sure if there is really so few label into signing best noise acts currently active, or if many of these bands that totally kill, just do not want to make "CD albums" as core of fans obviously like the ltd 20-100 tapes thing. I do like too, as this is chrome tape, loud recording levels and crispy sound with lots of punch. Yet, still feel these bands should be somehow immortalized on "traditional album" form, hah...

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Baglady

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 25, 2018, 04:50:40 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 24, 2018, 10:49:58 PM

Slugathor drummer plays drums for Azazel, whom some people may have heard. He is quite brutal drummer, in good way. No technical gimmicks.

Ilmari Jalas of Slugathor and Azazel is afine chap. My favorite band of his is (or was) Anxious Death though. Primitive original sounding neanderthal thrashy black metal. Pretty sure they're defunct by now, but the self titled demo from... 2006? is brilliant pounding bm.

PedestrianOrgans

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 24, 2018, 10:24:15 PM
There's more to it than just a high pitch single tone. Varying high to mid frequencies; the vocals are all very good (esp. on "Pig Men"). The track I stopped on had some low-end or low-end amp hum-type sounds.. I'll be finishing it up soon. I have two previous LPs but I don't remember what they sound like compared to this release. The debut was more ear-piercing feedback, I think?

Sweet, sounds like it fits in more with their stronger material, last two releases were disastrous.

Yrjö-Koskinen

JAAKKO VANHALA - Here Be Lions (Freak Animal) CD
Not having heard any of mr. Vanhala's work before, I for some reason expected this album to be a subdued affair. I had high hopes, but I imagined something like experimental, field recording based ambient with touches of noise. This was not the case. Instead, this is one of the most brutal and dare I say important harsh noise albums I've heard in a while. My first thought when "The Original Violence" started was, for some reason, "this is an unplugged set with Blood of Thee Christ". Even after listening more deeply, I would maintain that there is a touch of Master Control here, but that goes more for the feel of the recording than for the music or the mood/atmosphere conveyed. I think "authentic" is the word I'm looking for. Massive attacks of distortion, brutalized metal junk... Power and destruction. Even without considering the label, there are touches of Grunt and a scent of power electronics here and there, but the intensity and instability of the relentless waves of sound also brings thoughts of Japan - K2 in a Finnish forest? There is a disconnect between a vague sense of art and artistic seriousness on the one hand, and dirty, hate filled sonic extremism on the other - though the scales tip towards the latter most of the time. If people actually listened to noise, this could well be the beginning of a lucrative career. As things stand, it's just a mind blowing album calling out in the desert. Absolutely awesome.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea