Special Interest
August 19, 2019, 05:04:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 425 426 427 428 [429] 430 431 432 433 434 435 ... 504
  Print  
Author Topic: PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS  (Read 2308126 times)
FreakAnimalFinland
Administrator
Overkill user

« Reply #6420 on: July 06, 2017, 04:06:16 PM »

UMPIO "Sauna" digipak CD
Obscurex
Fucking killer harsh noise. Not at all the type his new 3", but this is 2010/2011 recordings that first came out as tape and then later this cd reissue. Well justified reissue. Less hi-fi, more dusty and overdriven, piezzo-flattened metals, crude yet also crunchy. Lots of diversity, but most of all brooding and dark than high speed cut up. As far as I know, there are couple unreleased longer tapes from this era, result of Umpio being too fast to accept deals from flakey labels who can't get shit done. It would be brilliant to see some of that released, even if artists may feel like he has already moved on during years. This is good example how good noise just is good noise, whether its recent or few years old.

MAAAA "Sampo Distortion" CD
MAAAA "Decay And Demoralization" CD

Both already c. 2010. Two quite different release. Sampo Distortion is kind of odd. Just 30 minutes and clearly less focused that he is doing now. I guess recordings date back to 2008. Flaw, in my years, is the moment when project decides to play couple full songs of Terveet Kädet via additional distortion. For someone it is perhaps quite "mythical" music from times long go, but to me idea sounds way too close. TK released their recent album not long ago and was active band doing records and live gigs till recent years. To me it sounds almost as if you'd play couple tracks of Cock Sparrer on noise album, without considering how familiar it is, and how band is actually still doing their stuff, hah..  But apart those few minutes, this has survived time quite well! It doesn't have the focus & detailed precision of new works, but as dense multilayered heavy harsh noise - works fine.
"Decay And Demoralization" on other hand, is collection of various splits and small releases. Pretty much as much stuff on CD as format can fit, and style and quality varies more. At best, good harsh noise, at worst, ...well.. not among his best! It's perhaps too long CD for not having coherent form. All in all probably has more good stuff than Sampo Distortion had, just could have worked well if shortened to have just the good ones.

TREPANERINGSRITUALEN manifest as TEERAAL RÄUM PHEYNIX - 10"
Tesco
I have mixed feeling about this. In one hand, instantly listened couple of times and liked what I heard. But also made me think, is 10" reissue the best? Tracks are very subtle, more like old Archon Satani. No beats, no raw vocals. No song-oriented like most of his recent stuff has been? It's much much darker and suffocating. But also, for the style and for amount of actual ideas, perhaps short-ish? And perhaps with such dusty and suffocated sound, vinyl surface noises have nowhere to hide when there isn't much of treble here.
Tracks, good. But personally could have liked more if he did for example 3rd part of comp CD reissues...

AM NOT "The Developing World" LP
Tesco
Need to spin this more. And need to take a closer look to lyrics and packaging. So far, only one rotation and experiencing only the musical merits. Which are: Good! This is perhaps musically favorite Am Not now. Could it be said more "standard" heavy electronics? That not being derogatory, but just to say that in past I felt somehow technological wibe very dominantly, and now it seems more heavy oppressive mood driven than underlined technical know-how? Or maybe my experiences are tied to also format, being clean digipak cd or live gig with synchronized backing videos etc. As said, got to give more time for this, but seems like another example of current bands that is able to top themselves!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #6421 on: July 06, 2017, 04:39:24 PM »

High-Functioning Flesh - Culture Cut LP - a substantially more "laid back" sound than their prior two LPs, Culture Cut has some distinctly summer vibes which is fitting given its summer release date. almost entirely absent is the hyper-kinetic sampling of Definite Structures, which is a little disappointing. instead there's stripped down, detail oriented drum programming and various semi-melodic flourishes. just getting to know this one, but stand outs so far are Drawn Out, Talk About and Invoking Phantoms. i'm really bummed I'll be missing their Philly show next week...

Grunt - Petturien Rooli CD - revisited this masterpiece. i'm still convinced it's the best Grunt album in many ways.

FreakAnimalFinland
Administrator
Overkill user

« Reply #6422 on: July 06, 2017, 05:48:48 PM »

Grunt - Petturien Rooli CD - revisited this masterpiece. i'm still convinced it's the best Grunt album in many ways.

This, I have probably last less than 10 remain out of 3 different editions totalling perhaps 800 copies.... I still consider that perhaps one pressing should be done on CD! Maybe to at least correct some of the multiple typos in the cover... Length of album makes it quite impossible to do LP version, so perhaps will remain cd-only.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net
Scat-O-Logy
Diehard user

« Reply #6423 on: July 07, 2017, 01:34:52 AM »

Olympic Shit Man ‎"Supercharge"
Very random, broken and spacious recordings as opposed to full on harsh noise blast which I was expecting. Perfect! Essentials from Evil Moisture, Putrefier and maybe even Nihilist Assault Group, anyone?

david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #6424 on: July 08, 2017, 09:39:05 PM »

been listening to old, original industrial sounds-
cabaret voltaire, tg,  23 skidoo, clock dva, monte cazazza, factrix, spk, lustmord etc.
despite the wiry sound, with added psych echo,  that seemed of the time, these bands survive and sounds prosper.
all this pre digital media.
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #6425 on: July 09, 2017, 02:24:01 AM »

SHIFT - Abandon LP
I don't even know what to say about this other than it's just plain good. At first I wasn't too sure about the guitar on the second side, but it - along with the whole album - has been sinking in all week and I really can't get the "hook" out of my head. A+.

STRIATIONS / MACRONYMPHA - Stonefish CS
Haven't even finished listening to the first side yet and already this is some of the best STRIATIONS material out there.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
sterilization
user

« Reply #6426 on: July 09, 2017, 04:21:48 AM »

This, I have probably last less than 10 remain out of 3 different editions totalling perhaps 800 copies.... I still consider that perhaps one pressing should be done on CD! Maybe to at least correct some of the multiple typos in the cover... Length of album makes it quite impossible to do LP version, so perhaps will remain cd-only.

A tape edition would be most welcome.
deathcamp
user

« Reply #6427 on: July 09, 2017, 10:55:27 PM »

KONTINENT "No Reverse" tape (Unrest) - Excessively good industrial PE, very dense and powerful. Need to check the other efforts.

ALFARMANIA "At Ulleråker" CD (Old Captain) - Crude, dirty power electronics noise, a pleasant listening...

IRON FIST OF THE SUN "Family survival strategy" tape (Unrest) - Any comments? Get it before it's too late.

GENOCIDE ORGAN :Archive IX: MLP (Tesco) - Surely one of the very best of the serie! After a long and repetitive introduction you can feel a palpable anger, all elements are extreme, all constructions proves that GO deserves its legendary status.

Ashmonger
Heavy user

« Reply #6428 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »

Skin Graft - Condition (C40, No Rent Records): Starts heavy, would like to say as I'm used to, but in truth I don't have that many Skin Graft releases, so I'm not certain if most are in the same style or not. Anyway, after the forceful start, most of the tape is calmer, less chaotic, not bad, but I'm afraid some parts go by without doing much for me...

Whiteswan - Bestial (C20, Hiisi Productions): A side is wall noise, not very interesting. B side has more variation, with basically the same rough sound, but with vocals and more variation in the noise, it's more interesting.

De Blenders/Sedem Minut Strachu (10", 8 labels): Nonsense Noisecore from both bands as to be expected, but both with a great harsh sound, so I like it a lot! The humour of De Blenders will be lost on non-local people, I'm afraid.

Griefer - Egress Report (C30, Absurd Exposition): Never heard of this project before. PE with vocals that remind me of another project I can't remember at the moment, pretty annoying. Vocals are more like forcefully spoken/commanded that shouted. Sound is a bit muffled, but after some spinning I get used to it (in general I prefer a sharper, clearer and/or harsher sound) and the music is pretty good. Sounds very much old school industrial alike. Cool percussive elements, throbbing synths, signals, some feedback... Makes me think that the vocals might remind me about Militia, but it's been quite a while since I've listened to Militia...

Lazy Bastards Compilation (C60, RONF): Pretty cool tape, quite some interesting noisecore acts, also some I hadn't heard before, but I knew them by name, so good to check them out. Nice idea to announce every band, it's otherwise easy to loose track on a tape with about 14 bands on each side. The announcement is interesting in itself, as the voice has some effects on it and there's some noise in the background. Especially Energumeno and Deathwank are strong on this comp! There's other good stuff too of course. Was a bit disappointed with Unpeace though, I think their recording quality is rather poor on the last couple of releases, which makes it less enjoyable than f.e. the first demo and the split with SEX.

Energumeno/Hades Mining Co. (7", Noise Polution/Continuum): Hades Mining Co. is scummy, crappy noisecore as always, enjoyable, but not a band I'll follow in itself. Energumeno is a recent discovery, but they make some good raging noisecore!

Scatmother/Wonderland Club (C40, Obsessive Fundamental Realism): Have to chime in with the crowd it seems, not Scatmothers strongest stuff here. Wonderland Club is good, bleak, not too fond about the effects used on the vocals though...

Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #6429 on: July 14, 2017, 11:25:35 PM »

Knaekkede Stemmer “Forste Portraet (Et Hult Menneske)” LP (Jartecknet, 2013)
Knaekkede Stemmer “Andet Portraet” CS (Lust Vessel, 2015)
Knaekkede Stemmer “Marts (Musik For Dod Akustik)” CS (Total Black, 2015)
Knaekkede Stemmer “Usagt” CS (Alien Passengers, 2015)

This project, to me, is Alleypisser following a name-change rather than something entirely on its own, although I'm almost sure Mikkel Rorbo would disagree. Anyway, I expected I'd like this at least as much as Alleypisser, and on a good day, I probably like it more. The project seems to have a reputation as more minimal than the former name, but most tracks feel like they have the same amount of content and level of movement to me. I'd say that this is a “matured” Alleypisser, as far as atmosphere, technique, and composition are concerned, although I fucking hate using that goddamned word.
        Yep, most tracks center around the tried-and-true formula of clanking metal, oscillating synth drones, and occasional surprise elements, all treated via Rorbo's signature tape echo and with a charming decay/degradation that folks like me eat up with a spoon. While I couldn't listen to more than a few Alleypisser releases in one day (after a while they'd all bleed together and I'd get distracted/bored), Knaekkede Stemmer has a noticeably more “musical” quality that emphasizes space and timing in a more deft and exact way than the previous moniker. The thing is, it's not the sound that's different, it's the feeling. I know, that's a dumb and lazy avoidance of an explanation, but it's my honest reaction. Alleypisser had something a bit melancholic and even dark to it, while the current incarnation is only incidentally so. Here, things feel more serene, dare I say peaceful? Hmm, more like “at rest.” Alleypisser was troubled and troubling while Knaekkede Stemmer is resigned and detached.
        Regarding actual sound specifics, though, I've read more than a few instances wherein folks  simply weren't that impressed with the minimalism of the project, which I can't blame them for. Unless you enjoy paying active attention to sometimes very quiet and calm sounds, very little happens for long spans within each track. The details are what seem to impress me the most; the way you can tell when a pitch speed knob was tweaked slightly, or when the tape echo gets a bit awkward and off-kilter. I also like that you can always hear the gaps in Rorbo's loops, it's hard to tell exactly how they're executed, but you know he's got his own crude but somehow sophisticated method. What is really special, though, is the weird details that come in almost as Easter eggs for the listener: late on the B-side of Andet Portraet, there are some unidentifiable, brassy wind-instrument type sounds that are mixed just loud enough to be rather disturbing, like on Aaron Dilloway's “The Beauty Bath.” The latter half of “Forste Portraet” is the kind of thing that's almost incidental cinematic music, very evocative and desolate-sounding, reminds me of certain pieces by Richard A. Bosse (questionably labeled as “funeral folk” but basically doing what Rorbo does with acoustic guitar instead of electronics). “Usagt” has some downright weird popping noises that comprise large portions of both tracks, only to give way to manipulated baby cooing and crying (genuinely disturbing!) one one track, with some unintelligible whispering on the other.
        Sure, I realize this is way too arty for a lot of people's tastes or even endurance ability, hah, but this is pretty far from the pretension and failed attempts at quirkiness/cuteness you see/hear from certain current popular acts and labels. It's hard to recommend this type of thing to anyone in particular, but all releases so far have been rewarding for someone who wants meditative listening but isn't won over by gimmicks and total monotony. If there's one word I can attribute to the overall effect of listening to the project, it's “stillness.” There's nothing here if that doesn't appeal to you. Best (but still distant) comparisons: Alchemy of the 21st Century “Beauty of Aesthetic Imperfection,” Massimo Toniutti “Il Museo Selvatico,” Richard Bosse “Echoes of the Forgotten” and “III.”

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #6430 on: July 15, 2017, 02:26:45 AM »

Griefer - Egress Report (C30, Absurd Exposition): Never heard of this project before. PE with vocals that remind me of another project I can't remember at the moment, pretty annoying.

Do you find the vocals annoying, or the fact that you are unable to recall the project they remind you of? The rest of your review seems positive so just want to clarify.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
deathcamp
user

« Reply #6431 on: July 15, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »

PAIN NAIL "" (Kult of Nihilow, 2017) tape - Mostly ambient oriented PE with deep atmospheres and noise elements... Don't get wrong, the whole ensemble is very powerful, as the sound is simply perfect! It is even amazing, as it is a live capture. Dominating vocal attacks here and there...
Even if it is very minimal, good artwork. It is the same packaging for the 4 tape serie "KÄRSIMYKSEN MYTOLOGIA - RAPPEUTUMISEN ALKEMIA", only the printed insert is personalized.
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #6432 on: July 15, 2017, 07:07:34 PM »

THE RITA  'MEDORA' new cd on old europa cafe.

engulfing noise with source materials that float into view and then vanish, like the sharks of sam's aesthetic.
deeply immersive, showing hnw as progressing.

in addition, new kosmodrom tapes, likewise show maturing from original hnw roots into something newer and immersive.
Dr Alex
Diehard user

« Reply #6433 on: July 15, 2017, 07:44:32 PM »

in addition, new kosmodrom tapes, likewise show maturing from original hnw roots into something newer and immersive.

Thank you!

Check new track: https://kosmodrom7.bandcamp.com/album/ikarie-xb-1
Longer and different than previous works. Tape will be released soon on Mask Of The Slave.

on topic:
Grief - Dismal cd (Fuck Yoga reissue)
Absolutely amazing fucked up sludge! This reissue have great remastering! Get this classic!!!

Ashmonger
Heavy user

« Reply #6434 on: July 17, 2017, 10:39:20 AM »

Griefer - Egress Report (C30, Absurd Exposition): Never heard of this project before. PE with vocals that remind me of another project I can't remember at the moment, pretty annoying.

Do you find the vocals annoying, or the fact that you are unable to recall the project they remind you of? The rest of your review seems positive so just want to clarify.
The last, I'm always annoyed with things like that. Like when I'm watching a movie or a series and there's an actor I recognize "ah, that guy, I've seen him playing in... eh, what was it again... damn, can't remember". I often end up looking at IMDB for that, haha. So, yeah, when music makes me think of another project/band/... and I can't put my finger on it, it's the same.

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 425 426 427 428 [429] 430 431 432 433 434 435 ... 504
  Print  

Jump to: