PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sterilization

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 06, 2017, 06:48:48 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 06, 2017, 05:39:24 PM
Grunt - Petturien Rooli CD - revisited this masterpiece. i'm still convinced it's the best Grunt album in many ways.

This, I have probably last less than 10 remain out of 3 different editions totalling perhaps 800 copies.... I still consider that perhaps one pressing should be done on CD! Maybe to at least correct some of the multiple typos in the cover... Length of album makes it quite impossible to do LP version, so perhaps will remain cd-only.

A tape edition would be most welcome.

deathcamp

KONTINENT "No Reverse" tape (Unrest) - Excessively good industrial PE, very dense and powerful. Need to check the other efforts.

ALFARMANIA "At Ulleråker" CD (Old Captain) - Crude, dirty power electronics noise, a pleasant listening...

IRON FIST OF THE SUN "Family survival strategy" tape (Unrest) - Any comments? Get it before it's too late.

GENOCIDE ORGAN :Archive IX: MLP (Tesco) - Surely one of the very best of the serie! After a long and repetitive introduction you can feel a palpable anger, all elements are extreme, all constructions proves that GO deserves its legendary status.

Ashmonger

Skin Graft - Condition (C40, No Rent Records): Starts heavy, would like to say as I'm used to, but in truth I don't have that many Skin Graft releases, so I'm not certain if most are in the same style or not. Anyway, after the forceful start, most of the tape is calmer, less chaotic, not bad, but I'm afraid some parts go by without doing much for me...

Whiteswan - Bestial (C20, Hiisi Productions): A side is wall noise, not very interesting. B side has more variation, with basically the same rough sound, but with vocals and more variation in the noise, it's more interesting.

De Blenders/Sedem Minut Strachu (10", 8 labels): Nonsense Noisecore from both bands as to be expected, but both with a great harsh sound, so I like it a lot! The humour of De Blenders will be lost on non-local people, I'm afraid.

Griefer - Egress Report (C30, Absurd Exposition): Never heard of this project before. PE with vocals that remind me of another project I can't remember at the moment, pretty annoying. Vocals are more like forcefully spoken/commanded that shouted. Sound is a bit muffled, but after some spinning I get used to it (in general I prefer a sharper, clearer and/or harsher sound) and the music is pretty good. Sounds very much old school industrial alike. Cool percussive elements, throbbing synths, signals, some feedback... Makes me think that the vocals might remind me about Militia, but it's been quite a while since I've listened to Militia...

Lazy Bastards Compilation (C60, RONF): Pretty cool tape, quite some interesting noisecore acts, also some I hadn't heard before, but I knew them by name, so good to check them out. Nice idea to announce every band, it's otherwise easy to loose track on a tape with about 14 bands on each side. The announcement is interesting in itself, as the voice has some effects on it and there's some noise in the background. Especially Energumeno and Deathwank are strong on this comp! There's other good stuff too of course. Was a bit disappointed with Unpeace though, I think their recording quality is rather poor on the last couple of releases, which makes it less enjoyable than f.e. the first demo and the split with SEX.

Energumeno/Hades Mining Co. (7", Noise Polution/Continuum): Hades Mining Co. is scummy, crappy noisecore as always, enjoyable, but not a band I'll follow in itself. Energumeno is a recent discovery, but they make some good raging noisecore!

Scatmother/Wonderland Club (C40, Obsessive Fundamental Realism): Have to chime in with the crowd it seems, not Scatmothers strongest stuff here. Wonderland Club is good, bleak, not too fond about the effects used on the vocals though...

Peterson

Knaekkede Stemmer "Forste Portraet (Et Hult Menneske)" LP (Jartecknet, 2013)
Knaekkede Stemmer "Andet Portraet" CS (Lust Vessel, 2015)
Knaekkede Stemmer "Marts (Musik For Dod Akustik)" CS (Total Black, 2015)
Knaekkede Stemmer "Usagt" CS (Alien Passengers, 2015)

This project, to me, is Alleypisser following a name-change rather than something entirely on its own, although I'm almost sure Mikkel Rorbo would disagree. Anyway, I expected I'd like this at least as much as Alleypisser, and on a good day, I probably like it more. The project seems to have a reputation as more minimal than the former name, but most tracks feel like they have the same amount of content and level of movement to me. I'd say that this is a "matured" Alleypisser, as far as atmosphere, technique, and composition are concerned, although I fucking hate using that goddamned word.
        Yep, most tracks center around the tried-and-true formula of clanking metal, oscillating synth drones, and occasional surprise elements, all treated via Rorbo's signature tape echo and with a charming decay/degradation that folks like me eat up with a spoon. While I couldn't listen to more than a few Alleypisser releases in one day (after a while they'd all bleed together and I'd get distracted/bored), Knaekkede Stemmer has a noticeably more "musical" quality that emphasizes space and timing in a more deft and exact way than the previous moniker. The thing is, it's not the sound that's different, it's the feeling. I know, that's a dumb and lazy avoidance of an explanation, but it's my honest reaction. Alleypisser had something a bit melancholic and even dark to it, while the current incarnation is only incidentally so. Here, things feel more serene, dare I say peaceful? Hmm, more like "at rest." Alleypisser was troubled and troubling while Knaekkede Stemmer is resigned and detached.
        Regarding actual sound specifics, though, I've read more than a few instances wherein folks  simply weren't that impressed with the minimalism of the project, which I can't blame them for. Unless you enjoy paying active attention to sometimes very quiet and calm sounds, very little happens for long spans within each track. The details are what seem to impress me the most; the way you can tell when a pitch speed knob was tweaked slightly, or when the tape echo gets a bit awkward and off-kilter. I also like that you can always hear the gaps in Rorbo's loops, it's hard to tell exactly how they're executed, but you know he's got his own crude but somehow sophisticated method. What is really special, though, is the weird details that come in almost as Easter eggs for the listener: late on the B-side of Andet Portraet, there are some unidentifiable, brassy wind-instrument type sounds that are mixed just loud enough to be rather disturbing, like on Aaron Dilloway's "The Beauty Bath." The latter half of "Forste Portraet" is the kind of thing that's almost incidental cinematic music, very evocative and desolate-sounding, reminds me of certain pieces by Richard A. Bosse (questionably labeled as "funeral folk" but basically doing what Rorbo does with acoustic guitar instead of electronics). "Usagt" has some downright weird popping noises that comprise large portions of both tracks, only to give way to manipulated baby cooing and crying (genuinely disturbing!) one one track, with some unintelligible whispering on the other.
        Sure, I realize this is way too arty for a lot of people's tastes or even endurance ability, hah, but this is pretty far from the pretension and failed attempts at quirkiness/cuteness you see/hear from certain current popular acts and labels. It's hard to recommend this type of thing to anyone in particular, but all releases so far have been rewarding for someone who wants meditative listening but isn't won over by gimmicks and total monotony. If there's one word I can attribute to the overall effect of listening to the project, it's "stillness." There's nothing here if that doesn't appeal to you. Best (but still distant) comparisons: Alchemy of the 21st Century "Beauty of Aesthetic Imperfection," Massimo Toniutti "Il Museo Selvatico," Richard Bosse "Echoes of the Forgotten" and "III."

absurdexposition

Quote from: Ashmonger on July 14, 2017, 11:45:28 AM
Griefer - Egress Report (C30, Absurd Exposition): Never heard of this project before. PE with vocals that remind me of another project I can't remember at the moment, pretty annoying.

Do you find the vocals annoying, or the fact that you are unable to recall the project they remind you of? The rest of your review seems positive so just want to clarify.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

deathcamp

PAIN NAIL "" (Kult of Nihilow, 2017) tape - Mostly ambient oriented PE with deep atmospheres and noise elements... Don't get wrong, the whole ensemble is very powerful, as the sound is simply perfect! It is even amazing, as it is a live capture. Dominating vocal attacks here and there...
Even if it is very minimal, good artwork. It is the same packaging for the 4 tape serie "KÄRSIMYKSEN MYTOLOGIA - RAPPEUTUMISEN ALKEMIA", only the printed insert is personalized.

david lloyd jones

THE RITA  'MEDORA' new cd on old europa cafe.

engulfing noise with source materials that float into view and then vanish, like the sharks of sam's aesthetic.
deeply immersive, showing hnw as progressing.

in addition, new kosmodrom tapes, likewise show maturing from original hnw roots into something newer and immersive.

Dr Alex

Quote from: david lloyd jones on July 15, 2017, 08:07:34 PM
in addition, new kosmodrom tapes, likewise show maturing from original hnw roots into something newer and immersive.

Thank you!

Check new track: https://kosmodrom7.bandcamp.com/album/ikarie-xb-1
Longer and different than previous works. Tape will be released soon on Mask Of The Slave.

on topic:
Grief - Dismal cd (Fuck Yoga reissue)
Absolutely amazing fucked up sludge! This reissue have great remastering! Get this classic!!!

Ashmonger

Quote from: absurdexposition on July 15, 2017, 03:26:45 AM
Quote from: Ashmonger on July 14, 2017, 11:45:28 AM
Griefer - Egress Report (C30, Absurd Exposition): Never heard of this project before. PE with vocals that remind me of another project I can't remember at the moment, pretty annoying.

Do you find the vocals annoying, or the fact that you are unable to recall the project they remind you of? The rest of your review seems positive so just want to clarify.
The last, I'm always annoyed with things like that. Like when I'm watching a movie or a series and there's an actor I recognize "ah, that guy, I've seen him playing in... eh, what was it again... damn, can't remember". I often end up looking at IMDB for that, haha. So, yeah, when music makes me think of another project/band/... and I can't put my finger on it, it's the same.

Deadpriest

No Balls: a single riff pummling off into infinity> Keep your bastard polyrhythms.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Theodore

Abscheu - Pretense CS [Unrest Productions] : Heavy, industrial-ish, mostly slow-paced electronics. With vocals, more spoken than shouted. Stands the high standards Unrest have set and used us to. I enjoy it. If i had to find something, maybe i would like more nerve in the vocals, they sound more narrative to me, i would prefer more "engagement" , as is B2 track for example. But that's more a feeling i have, and a different person may thinks different. That said, it's a good album as it is. Listen it !
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

absurdexposition

Quote from: Theodore on July 17, 2017, 01:27:35 PM
Abscheu - Pretense CS [Unrest Productions] : Heavy, industrial-ish, mostly slow-paced electronics. With vocals, more spoken than shouted. Stands the high standards Unrest have set and used us to. I enjoy it. If i had to find something, maybe i would like more nerve in the vocals, they sound more narrative to me, i would prefer more "engagement" , as is B2 track for example. But that's more a feeling i have, and a different person may thinks different. That said, it's a good album as it is. Listen it !

Great tape. Could easily be on vinyl at that calibre.

Yesterday's playlist:

SKIN CRIME - Recycled CS
GRUNT - Recycled CS
TAINT - Recycled CS

Listened to in that order and probably would list them in that order in terms of quality. I found the SKIN CRIME and GRUNT tapes to be quite strong, but the TAINT tape wasn't really gelling with me (sorry Keith).

WILL OVER MATTER - Suomi Vanhan Testamentin Näyttämönä CS (Freak Animal, 2016)
Of the few WOM releases I have heard, this might have some of the best harsh sounds. Very long dialogue samples that I'm not sure about, but the noise is very strong so likely a keeper in the end.

LIMBS BIN - 18 Rack Demo CS (Torn Light, 2017)
First material I've heard since Primitive Response 7" 5 years ago, which I believe was the first release. Much better and quite good. Two longer stretches of harsh noise. A hi-hat appears part way through the second side and for a moment I feared it would turn into grind/noisecore with a full drum kit blasting, but there is nothing other than the hi-hat. Not sure how I feel about it. Perhaps it's similar to the guitar on the latest SHIFT album, which after first feeling out of place now feels like integral part; the approach on this tape might not work as well as it definitely takes me out of the engagement. Appears to be a collaboration with the man behind the American SKIN GRAFT.

SECTS - Pretending Fucked CS (Oxen, 2017)
Total thick and blasting harsh noise, but the long sample of music at the beginning of the B-side really detracts from the onslaught this otherwise is.

BIZARRE UPROAR - Bunker Sessions CDr (Housepig, 2007)
8 tracks cut up into 99 "for instant shuffle-remixing action". Recorded live in studio, LIMBS BIN tape above has similar sound - also recorded live in studio.

CIS - Tar Heel Transphobia CS (Fusty Cunt, 2017)
Politics / beliefs aside, this release is unreal. It is very good. Well-crafted sounds and supremely fucked-up vocals. Highly recommended on that level. From an objective standpoint - as the viewpoints here are not in-line with mine - the lyrics could be a lot better, and are already too full of alt-right cliches/tropes, but the same can be said for a lot of lyrics from projects all over the political spectrum and is the main reason why I rarely even look at lyric sheets anymore. For me I will just be ignoring them and enjoying what should be considered one of the top releases of this year.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: absurdexposition on July 17, 2017, 05:04:35 PM

CIS - Tar Heel Transphobia CS (Fusty Cunt, 2017)
Politics / beliefs aside, this release is unreal. It is very good. Well-crafted sounds and supremely fucked-up vocals. Highly recommended on that level. From an objective standpoint - as the viewpoints here are not in-line with mine - the lyrics could be a lot better, and are already too full of alt-right cliches/tropes, but the same can be said for a lot of lyrics from projects all over the political spectrum and is the main reason why I rarely even look at lyric sheets anymore. For me I will just be ignoring them and enjoying what should be considered one of the top releases of this year.

I thought CIS was okay. They went a little overboard with the vocal-spoken sample efx. I seem to remember thinking the first half of s1 was the strongest & s2 seem to lose some focus or that's where the efx started annoying me. It's definitely recorded very well. I can't say much on the theme; such things just do not interest me at all. It could have been a bit more mean-spirited for my tastes.

Andrew McIntosh

After only having heard "Musik For Dekomposition" and liking it very much I was pleased to see Subklinik has a Bandcamp page. The three albums on that, "Korporation", "Monoaesthetic Entrance of Seclusion" and "Corrosion of the Mental Machine" (shouldn't they be "Seklusion" and "Korrosion"?), however, are not much like the early-BDN sound and feel of "Musik...", but tend more towards a Dark Ambient sound, while at the same time retaining a simplistic and basic composition for each spiral. So lots of deep, dark, echo-ed pieces. Very nice to listen to, and nice and cheap to download all three.

EDIT - should also add how much I've been digging Ten Horned Beast's "Death Has No Companion". A project I haven't had much interest in before, but this release I've been playing quite a few times. Simple compositions based on acoustic instrument sounds, very slow moving and constructed well, each sound element adding to the whole with gradual adjustments on simple, minor effects like echo coming in at the right times. Reminds me, in some way of Harry Bertoia's soundscapes, and not just for the cymbal sounds. These spirals have a similar feel of slow, gradual happening.
Shikata ga nai.

FallOfNature

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on July 18, 2017, 02:27:38 AM
After only having heard "Musik For Dekomposition" and liking it very much I was pleased to see Subklinik has a Bandcamp page. The three albums on that, "Korporation", "Monoaesthetic Entrance of Seclusion" and "Corrosion of the Mental Machine" (shouldn't they be "Seklusion" and "Korrosion"?), however, are not much like the early-BDN sound and feel of "Musik...", but tend more towards a Dark Ambient sound, while at the same time retaining a simplistic and basic composition for each spiral. So lots of deep, dark, echo-ed pieces. Very nice to listen to, and nice and cheap to download all three. 

I can recommend Premonitions of Death and Cremator (both on Slaughter Productions) if you enjoyed the Musik For Dekomposition material.