Special Interest
August 19, 2019, 03:54:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 [424] 425 426 427 428 429 430 ... 504
  Print  
Author Topic: PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS  (Read 2308053 times)
Decrepitude and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Andrew McIntosh
Overkill user

« Reply #6345 on: June 08, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »

Boris - Absolutego

This is my number one drone doom album, no contenders.

It's pretty much the last word in the sub-genre as far as I'm concerned. A lot else this band did left me pretty cold - they were a bit of an "it" band for a while there. Some of their collaborative stuff with Merzbow wasn't bad. But this album certainly rules.

"Unless suffering is the direct and immediate object of life, our existence must entirely fail of its aim." - Schopenhauer.
FreakAnimalFinland
Administrator
Overkill user

« Reply #6346 on: June 09, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »

Decondition - Sukellan Tuntemattomiin syvyyksiin - pretty traditional German style PE, but good.

It's been years since this came out. I remember getting promo copy of cdr with various tracks and my main complaint was the use of loops that do not develop anywhere. That song would just start and stop, being just about the same for whole duration. But this album is not like that. I recall writing few messages with guy and very vague recollections that he ended up changing tracklist and this album isn't what I remember promo to be.

Traditional German style PE, is rather accurate. But I'm not thinking of Genocide Organ. Not at all. More like Dagda Mor, Ex.Order, perhaps little bit of Söldnergeist and Advokat Ihrer Hoheit. I would also mention some more PE works of Cloama!

Album mixes "german styled heavy electronics" with dark and grim sounding death industrial. Echoing chanting voices... Produced rather clean, although it has mystery in form of distortions/effects, physical elements as opposed to some of the software based groups.
I guess at this point, feeling little regret of not showing green light for album after the promising tape on Freak Animal, but at least still found in FA's distribution!

CD came out on Force Majeure (Nuit Et Bruillard), perhaps little bad timing and album seems to be largely overlooked. Certainly good to grab!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net
FreakAnimalFinland
Administrator
Overkill user

« Reply #6347 on: June 09, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »

U-731 "By All means..." CD
Black Plagve
Members from United Front, S.H.P., Vomit Arsonist,... It sounds to me quite a like one could expect based on hearing those names. Also something what makes me think of several current USA projects. In a way, it is decent. It has pretty much all the basic elements of the dark post-industrial / heavy electronics stuff. Aggressive vocals. Strong samples from speaches or documentaries. Aggressive electronics as well as bleak and eerie, even tonal keyboard usage. It's not recycling same template, but actually each track does stand on its own.
But what sets it apart from the best of the genre, is the fine detail of sound. Many tracks suffer from somehow flat production. You got steady tone of raw electronics as back bone, then processed vocals echoing on top, and perhaps few other sound elements or samples going on, but nothing melts together and the true punch is missing. Seemingly like mixed on computer multitrack without sounds truly "becoming one", and often sound is relatively thin or flat, only enhanced with things like "reverb", rather than looking into core of sound, is it really any good? And instead of looking for brutal, fat, crunchy or truly fierce and ripping, you got this almost low bit rate multieffect type crackle tone hidden under echo? Well, of course not all the time and all the tracks - but the commonly heard and seen problem these days in this type of approach.

Of course, when you put some germanic leader speaking, you can throw almost any fuzzy tone behind it, and track can't be too bad, hah... So the CD is fine. But project appears like they could do way better than they have ended up doing. Lack of physicality and loud amplification is perhaps one missing detail, but I'm not sure if that's even the thing they want.

Aeoga ‘Obsidian Outlander’  LP
Aural Hypnox
This has been my turntable for some days. Probably 5 times later, I can conclude few things. If talking loosely about category consisting Dark ritual/drone/ambient/etc etc, it is not mandatory to put out double albums. Not even hour long albums. Not even 40 mins! This LP, is barely 30 minutes and I have ended up listening it several times each day.
Because length is half an hour, and there are six tracks, it is not merely some flowing abstract sound stream. Without becoming music in conventional underderstanding, it still makes songs. Slow eerie guitar tones, dark and noble almost soundtrack-esque synth tones, rhythmic loops of chains or other objects. Analogue synth pulsations, church organs... and so on.. It is hard to just call it "drone" or "ambient" as it neither one. Also lumping into vast category of "ritual music" hardly does justice, as while it may be that - it is more. It is clearly not product of simple drugged jam or easy routines hidden under neat aesthetics, but most of all artistic perfection! I'm quite sure at this point, that this Aeoga album is becoming my favorite Aural Hypnox release so far!
I'm pretty sure label saw the strength of it, since this was first ever vinyl release of the legendary label! Also published as CD, though. Essential album. Also, when listened after the above mentioned cd, there is such a drastic difference in audio alchemy. This album doesn't have singly crappy sound to it. Any approach in sound it look for, they come up with greatest results.

Deadpriest
Diehard user

Ignorance is strength.

« Reply #6348 on: June 09, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »

I got Inferno by Brainbombs, their live album recorded in the early nineties in Stockholm and the split between No Balls and Blank Vein, these have been on repeat all day.

My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/
neolithic cravings

« Reply #6349 on: June 09, 2017, 11:38:24 PM »

I picked up Less a month or two ago at the local record store. Its solid and the No Balls/Blank Vein split is even better.
F_c_O
Heavy user

« Reply #6350 on: June 10, 2017, 12:13:34 PM »

My drone binge continues with

Monarch - Sabbracadaver

If theres a singular modern band to rival the classics of drone, this is it. Wonderful, heavy, pitch black and best of all, it is not boring! Despite being some of the slowest doom out there, it never becomes boring, instead the band can keep your interest through their monolithic compositions. Unlike the earlier efforts of the band, theres actually some sense of melody here, although it is quite hard to grasp due to the utterly tectonic tempo the band works out. Even more impressive is the fact that the band has never felt the need to start to experiment or go outside their chosen style of doom while consistently doling out the goods. There are no violins, synths, poetry reading or other kind of bullcrap bands like Sunn O))) have commited here. The focus is singular, obsessive. Heavily recommended.
gabalgabow
user

« Reply #6351 on: June 10, 2017, 12:16:57 PM »

STUPID KARATE
Punk hardcore band from france,
Old school stuff with short tracks,
efficient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkDDVHYCKNM

MORE THAN SOUNDS Blogzine:
https://morethansoundszine.blogspot.fr
FreakAnimalFinland
Administrator
Overkill user

« Reply #6352 on: June 10, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »

WAKEFORD - STAPLETON "Revenge of the selfish shellfish" CD
Tursa / World Serpent
I have quite on-off interest on doings of these people, but when it peaks, then I end up digging bunch of items and can say that at the best, both guys were masters of their craft. Some stuff is pointless now, but other works hold strength year after year, decade after decade!
This has the little pieces of "neofolk", but most of all experimental sound collages. Being pure "open-chord" neofolk, done with modern standards, can result utterly boring outcome. The mix with innovative and eccentric sound-art, is what gives material totally different character. Not some skilled guitarists and singers with well produced albums - in standard of normal pop music, but album with character. High levels of oddity and surreal. Great album!

STRAFE FR "Lufhunger" CD
Touch
1991 Touch release doesn't seem to be very wanted. You can score copy even for mere 3 euros from discogs! Mixing electronics, field recordings and other things together. Year 1991, indicating lack of computer editing, so while this ain't no masterpiece or atmost classic by any means, it's nice addition in playlist with brilliant sonic moments happening within quite formless whole. Can't say much how album was in whole, but once in a while during it's duration, fragmented sound collage moment just awakes me to think "this is good", but then again, moment passes...

ILLUSION OF SAFETY "More Violence And Geography" CD
Die Stadt
1988 materal reissued on CD many years ago. I like. It has so many elements what I like:
-Noisy, but not really *just noise*.
-Not too song oriented, but 11 songs instead of just long endless stream of sound.
-Charming late 80's sound quality. Not aiming to be rugged or lo-fi, but even aim to be the best sound out there, it would end up somehow crude and hand-made-feel.
-None of songs are totally linear and mechanical. Meaning, that despite usage of loops or such repeating elements, there is always layers of sounds what seem hand crafted, lively, colorful, always on the move, mutating, shifting to something else. Making each song interesting to follow.
Here one sample track. Guitars are not as dominating factor in all the songs, but also usage of guitars in many of the old releases are so different from how they are used nowadays. I'm 100% disinterested in all that sunn o))) kind of category or "drone doom" or such. Also most of ebow kind of stuff. Nadia? Pff...  Guitar drone or guitar noise, both seemingly very easy, but in other hand, very hard to find interesting stuff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeWkVxn4UBY

That said, couple weeks ago several times ex-Diesel Guitar guys solo album! Phenomenal guitar drone!! 

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #6353 on: June 10, 2017, 06:56:35 PM »

Death Squad "Isolation as Intent" LP (Audio Dissection) & "Out-Patient" cd (Spastik Communications)- I had these releases mixed up. I thought the "Interrogation" track was on "I.A.I." so that was a little bit of a disappointment. Both of these releases are very minimal in the electronics department compared to "Theological Genocide". Themes on "I.A.I." are obvious based on the title along with some extreme issues with God ("Fuck You!"). "Out-Patient" is "An audio study in social and psychological difficulties". The best track involves a female associate of DS discussing her heroin addiction. "Interrogation" use to be reasonably intense but now just falls short other than the last couple of seconds of the track. I won't write anymore as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not heard it. The LP is limited to 100 copies so get it while you can but if you're unsure, track down the cd's, as they should be reasonably priced or down-right cheap.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/extreme_as_fk_that_time_death_squad_held_its_audience_hostage_by_gunpoint
audiodissection
user

« Reply #6354 on: June 10, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »

Death Squad "Isolation as Intent" LP (Audio Dissection) & "Out-Patient" cd (Spastik Communications)- I had these releases mixed up. I thought the "Interrogation" track was on "I.A.I." so that was a little bit of a disappointment. Both of these releases are very minimal in the electronics department compared to "Theological Genocide". Themes on "I.A.I." are obvious based on the title along with some extreme issues with God ("Fuck You!"). "Out-Patient" is "An audio study in social and psychological difficulties". The best track involves a female associate of DS discussing her heroin addiction. "Interrogation" use to be reasonably intense but now just falls short other than the last couple of seconds of the track. I won't write anymore as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not heard it. The LP is limited to 100 copies so get it while you can but if you're unsure, track down the cd's, as they should be reasonably priced or down-right cheap.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/extreme_as_fk_that_time_death_squad_held_its_audience_hostage_by_gunpoint

Very last copies of the LP available! www.audiodissection.com

Fluid Fetish
user

« Reply #6355 on: June 11, 2017, 01:55:26 AM »

Just picked up this and Theological Genocide and I absolutely cannot wait to hear these....haven't had much free time for anything lately, but once these arrive that's going to change no matter what.
F_c_O
Heavy user

« Reply #6356 on: June 11, 2017, 08:03:43 AM »

Just picked up this and Theological Genocide and I absolutely cannot wait to hear these....haven't had much free time for anything lately, but once these arrive that's going to change no matter what.
intent on isolation?
Euro Trash Bazooka
Heavy user

« Reply #6357 on: June 11, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »

Monarch - Sabbracadaver

If theres a singular modern band to rival the classics of drone, this is it. Wonderful, heavy, pitch black and best of all, it is not boring! Despite being some of the slowest doom out there, it never becomes boring, instead the band can keep your interest through their monolithic compositions. Unlike the earlier efforts of the band, theres actually some sense of melody here, although it is quite hard to grasp due to the utterly tectonic tempo the band works out. Even more impressive is the fact that the band has never felt the need to start to experiment or go outside their chosen style of doom while consistently doling out the goods. There are no violins, synths, poetry reading or other kind of bullcrap bands like Sunn O))) have commited here. The focus is singular, obsessive. Heavily recommended.

You might be pleased to hear they just finished mixing their upcoming album a few days ago. If I remember well, they recored five songs (including a Kiss cover.)

DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #6358 on: June 11, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »

Monarch - Sabbracadaver

You might be pleased to hear they just finished mixing their upcoming album a few days ago. If I remember well, they recored five songs (including a Kiss cover.)

see monarch et al as doom.
doom contains drone but is not necessarily drone.
the drone seems to add to a suspence eventually broken by a change of chord, a drum beat etc
drone per se is without beginning or end and which you the listener have to insert yourself to experience at maximium
F_c_O
Heavy user

« Reply #6359 on: June 11, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »

Monarch - Sabbracadaver

see monarch et al as doom.
doom contains drone but is not necessarily drone.
the drone seems to add to a suspence eventually broken by a change of chord, a drum beat etc
drone per se is without beginning or end and which you the listener have to insert yourself to experience at maximium
guess the 'proper' designation would be drone doom but i just say drone for short cause I figure that people know what I mean.
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 [424] 425 426 427 428 429 430 ... 504
  Print  

Jump to: