PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

H.Ö.H. - CD (Freak Animal)
I have those tapes, but it's really great they were released on CD now. I like this so much, listened three times in a row. Truly disturbing, primitive, and beautiful.

Another highlight this weekend was new Shift LP - Abandon. Killing slowly but surely.

The rest of the fantastic new Unrest batch has to wait until next weekend. Really excited to hear new Kevlar and Kontinent.

online prowler

Not noise, but solid record: Yasmine Hamdan 'Al Jamilat'. Recently issued by Ipecac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUC5cVyQUH8

david lloyd jones

Quote from: online prowler on May 15, 2017, 09:50:05 AM
Not noise, but solid record: Yasmine Hamdan 'Al Jamila'. Recently issued by Ipecac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUC5cVyQUH8

no need to excuse non noise etc listening.
other sounds allow us to compare, appreciate, indulge in noise.
other stuff not guilty secrets.

Peterson

NIT "001" CS (self-released)
        Some of the better power electronics I've heard recently from a newly-established project? I think so, yes. Cold, clean, sharp, and nicely-constructed synthesizer electronics that is both stylish and powerful against some quite beautiful feeback and static work, contrasted by some buried and effect-mangle vocals here and there. Very controlled and musical approach that manages a pretty desperate, wandering, and disturbed atmosphere. Really excellent stuff that doesn't immediately bring to mind comparisons (except maybe some more recent Control or Ramleh in their quieter moments); though this certainly has the potential of projects like Puce Mary or Iron Fist of The Sun in terms of a solid and unique approach. Totally recommended. Keep an eye on this one, if this is just the beginning, then I'm on board for whatever happens next.

Scatmother/Wonderland Club split CS (Obsessive Fundamental Realism)
        Scatmother's tracks on A-side strike me as slightly odd, if only because they seem a little rougher and more lo-fi than what excerpts I've heard of both CDs. First piece is a wall-of-noise approach with enraged vocals, leading into some really nice stomach-churning feedback work and the same forceful vocal attack, sadly this track as well as the last doesn't maintain the momentum it begins with. Vocals, by the way, are a shouted American accent despite that I'm told this gentleman is a German. Third piece begins, and there isn't any vocal variation to look forward to, nor can I imagine the minimalism being expanded on too well. I'd probably need to hear the two CDs in entirety to judge the project fairly, as this doesn't really hold my attention with force. Disappointing, as the lyrics and semi-poetic sensibilities to them are very nice. By track 4, when rhythmic elements and more obvious layering are introduced, I'm more convienced of the project's worth, but the quiet and muddy sound makes for a more hopeful sense of appreciation.
   I'll admit I heard the WC side of this tape before it was even released – maybe my judgement was clouded from having a hard-on for Wonderland Club already. Most folks reading have probably heard them already or heard the hype, which they very much live up to in quality of approach and...otherwise. Everything from the project sounds quite different from preceding recordings, though is always solid and highly composed stuff. Things here are both salacious and atmospheric, with the loud/quiet dynamic approach to song structure this time, and pitch-shifted, understated vocals that sometimes rise to the forefront. Lyrics partially by/on the subject of Wesley Allan Dodd; can't make out what's being said as easily as previous material, though.The duo approach to vocals and the thin, crisp static against the heavy pulsing and surging seems to be the only thing I can tie down as a signature for this group, other than consistent striving for variation, improvement, and thereby, serious songwriting.

Penetration Squadron "Rectal Assault" CS (Obsessive Fundamental Realism)
        Well, depending on my mood, I could have wildly varying remarks on this tape. Either case, it's nothing adventurous, special, or even well-thought-out. At the moment, I enjoy the "teenage" goofy approach of weirdly pitch-shifted Ramleh/Whitehouse vocals and spare but well-executed feedback, although another day this might annoy the living shit out of me for those exact reasons. Frankly, I think the same could be said about my own project, but whatever. Second piece has an unexpected psychoactive sound to it reassuring me of the importance of variation in this kind of thing. File alongside Painted Woman, Unclean, Whiteswan, Maskhead, Psychosadist, et cetera...very firmly stuck in the "filth noise" ghetto, and appreciable for those who pay regular visits, but perhaps either more or less so if said ghetto's where you like to call home. For one, I wish the wailing, howling vocal style with the odd effects was a bit louder in the mix and handled a bit more carefully. B-grade attempt at best with no real suggestion of future improvement, considered song structure, or promise of variation. Although there are some beautiful moments of primitive feeback bliss, I do hope any future recordings showcase more effort than sheer enthusiasm – I strongly believe more can be done with bare-bones PE techniques than most usually explore. Nice booklet, for those who are still reading.

Plus Taskmaster/Wince split C40 (White Centipede Noise) though it's already been reviewed by Mikko, and it's wall-style harsh noise. It's love-or-hate, no point in hearing my opinion about it except that two projects I already like a great deal deliver 100%. Almost frustrating, as they succeed at doing what is in the case of one of my projects only an attempt. Lately also Electric Masada "At The Mountains of Madness" (John Zorn-led insane jazz-rock ensemble), lots of Creedence Clearwater Revival, live Velvet Underground (personally I like when they were just a regular old rock band with Doug Yule rather than the John Cale viola screech era and the insufferable Nico "what a klon" vocals), and a little Johnny Paycheck here and there, because I can't seem to quit drinking.

bitewerksMTB

ROMAN TORMENT " Masculine Failure " LP, Hospital Prod.- I'd say this is a minor 'classic' from '06. Ferocious harsh noise. I'm not sure what the sound sources are; there's lot of feedback, static, & some vocalizations. Just non-stop, vicious intensity. Definitely recommended!

CON-DOM "How Welcome is Death..." CD, Tesco Org.- Great release! Too bad Tesco couldn't figure out how to get the intro tracks to seamlessly transition into the next track without annoying gaps.

THE DECAY OF THE ANGEL comp LP, New Strength- from '88. s1 is mostly PE but nothing is overly aggressive. Highlights are Ramleh, Con-Dom, Psy Phalanx, & White Hand (loops from TX Chain Saw Massacre). None of the others tracks are bad (Terre Blanche, Uterus 28+Grey Wolves, LSD) , those four are just the best. s2 is more experimental/industrial/not PE. Again, nothing bad other than the Vidna Obmana track which basically  a new age piece. The other acts include Sigillum S, The Grey Wolves (not a PE track at all), Information Aggression, Uterus 28 (reversed sounds with some violin playing), The Psychic Workshop... A number of acts I've never heard of nor stick in my memory after listening to their work.

SKIN GRAFT "Blackout" LP- I found this tucked away with a bunch of records I never go through. Odd artwork for a noise record. It looks like art for a hardcore punk record, which, ain't a bad thing. This is excellent! Super gritty, nasty, blown out, harsh as hell noise. Recommended. I hope to obtain the "Enemy" LP soon.

and 6 new MANIA tracks freshly mixed down for something someday soon...

absurdexposition

Quote from: Peterson on May 16, 2017, 03:35:52 AM
Scatmother/Wonderland Club split CS (Obsessive Fundamental Realism)

Penetration Squadron "Rectal Assault" CS (Obsessive Fundamental Realism)

Taskmaster/Wince split C40 (White Centipede Noise)

Velvet Underground
Johnny Paycheck

Similar thoughts on that Scatmother/Wonderland Club split. I feel like the WC side just destroys Scatmother here.

And yes to everything else.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Hakaristi

Have to agree with the opinion on SM/WC split, Scatmother really shine on the two full-length CDs but this is almost a too lo-fi representation of their sound.

vomitgore

Femeheim - Egofanal
I have been following Femeheim since the first day and DAMN - this is definitely their best work. Heavy synth, recurring rythms and patterns but always deep and fluent. Also seems to be getting more enjoyable with each spin. I would dare to deem this a must - have for fans of heavy and morbid old school Death Industrial.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Sadomaniac on May 17, 2017, 09:03:09 AM
Have to agree with the opinion on SM/WC split, Scatmother really shine on the two full-length CDs but this is almost a too lo-fi representation of their sound.

the scat mother side is crude compared to cd stuff, but to me, a bonus.
as said before, no prior wc exposure, so pleased to hear this quality

Hakaristi

Quote from: david lloyd jones on May 18, 2017, 05:02:06 PM
Quote from: Sadomaniac on May 17, 2017, 09:03:09 AM

the scat mother side is crude compared to cd stuff, but to me, a bonus.
as said before, no prior wc exposure, so pleased to hear this quality

My first taste of WC too and they're killer, looking forward to new tape on Black Psychosis soon.

deathcamp

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 17, 2017, 02:31:08 AM
CON-DOM "How Welcome is Death..." CD, Tesco Org.- Great release! Too bad Tesco couldn't figure out how to get the intro tracks to seamlessly transition into the next track without annoying gaps.

+1. These cuts are awful.

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: deathcamp on May 19, 2017, 08:15:49 PM

+1. These cuts are awful.

There's really no excuse for it other than not paying attention or not giving a damn.

Last night, I pulled out Genocide Organ's :Mind Control: LP , Anenzephalia "New World Disorder" 12", & Operation Cleansweep "JerUSAlem"

And there's 8 new Mania tracks for a proper full-length this summer!

cr

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 19, 2017, 09:29:19 PM
And there's 8 new Mania tracks for a proper full-length this summer!

Great news! Looking forward to it.

Cauldhame

I'm guessing the gaps will have been on the master CDr as a result of whatever software was used to burn it? It is strange that at no point in the process was it raised as a problem as it is a completely avoidable disruption to an otherwise near-perfect album, and so much attention to detail was clearly paid to every other aspect. To an extent that makes me wonder, however unlikely this sounds, that it may be a deliberate comment of some sort (not unlike that Grey Wolves album that used the hideously low bit-rate), though I can't imagine what point that would be making.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Cauldhame on May 20, 2017, 04:50:35 PM

I'm guessing the gaps will have been on the master CDr as a result of whatever software was used to burn it? It is strange that at no point in the process was it raised as a problem as it is a completely avoidable disruption to an otherwise near-perfect album, and so much attention to detail was clearly paid to every other aspect. To an extent that makes me wonder, however unlikely this sounds, that it may be a deliberate comment of some sort (not unlike that Grey Wolves album that used the hideously low bit-rate), though I can't imagine what point that would be making.

Reminds me of the Skinny Puppy reissues from the '90/ where the tracks ended early and the last few seconds of each track was at the beginning of the next...
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512