PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kim V

Quote from: Peterson on January 07, 2017, 11:39:25 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to make them shorter, but the basic idea is that some people have written reviews that have made me go out and buy whatever it was they were talking about, so that's the goal here. Trying to encourage folks to try new things. Here's a couple more, will be the only ones for a while.

You succeeded in just that, got me Snuff and Kostis Kilymis after reading your reviews
you're just a victim of yourself

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: Peterson on January 07, 2017, 11:39:25 PMThanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to make them shorter, but the basic idea is that some people have written reviews that have made me go out and buy whatever it was they were talking about, so that's the goal here. Trying to encourage folks to try new things. Here's a couple more, will be the only ones for a while.

Excellent reviews and agreed with Sigil, you've inspired me to finally check out Snuff and a few other releases..

Baglady

THE NEW SADISM - Breather's Penis Age 2½ LP (Menstrual Recordings)
This isn't for everyone, but it is most certainly for me. Approx one hour of wailing. One could call this restrained, but I guess Mazzochin just enjoyed the sound of feedback. And so do I. Kind of sad how little is needed to make me happy; feedback and some black and white dirty pics. It looks great too. The only thing that bothers me is the URL on the spine. Why not the artist name or leave it blank? It's on the back of the jacket as well, so... why? Where's the appeal in seeing URL's when you're browsing your shelf? I could write a book on how much I hate unnecessarily visible URL's on record covers (with an in-depth chapter on Urashimas unbelievable faith and dedication towards comic sans while I'm at it). I need to cool off. But this is great stuff.

F_c_O

Urashima's usage of comic sans is one of those things that still has me quite a bit confused.

Peterson

Pentti Umpio doesn't want me reviewing "Junk Electronix Vol. 1" CD, haha, so I'm compensating by just mentioning that the Sauna tape from Obscurex is basically flawless harsh noise if not particularly ear-fucking, but I don't really think that's ever been the point. This stuff is more intense, big-sounding, and well-composed/crafted/performed (uh, apparently no overdubs? Really?) with all of the little details and cuts you need without lapsing into any particular style of harsh noise or showcasing influences. Only close comparison I could make is Macronmypha but that's because of the effect the sound has on me, not the sound itself. Enough calmer sounds to please academic types, I'm even tempted to think. Would have to go into way too much detail to be specific, but this tape is just super physical and visceral but cerebral and blissful at the same time. Way too much fun for all you serious frowners.

Digging back to the Umpio side of his split with SSRI. Will revisit SSRI tapes some other time. Gritty and really crunchy, definitely so much more primitive than the Umpio of today or even as described above. Definitely fits well against SS Pekka's project as this stuff has a nice weird rhythmic edge (that does go on too consistently for some moments) or what some might call industrial noise. Can't honestly say I like this as much as the tape above, but it's good, and I certainly hung on to this tape for more than just SSRI. Melts into a crazy feedback-driven section which is fucking amazing, kinda like Gelsomina. After that, synth-y feedback and cut-ups following what sound like field recordings. Man, this must be really difficult to do in one take with no overdubs.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Baglady on January 09, 2017, 05:35:15 PM
THE NEW SADISM - Breather's Penis Age 2½ LP (Menstrual Recordings)
This isn't for everyone, but it is most certainly for me. Approx one hour of wailing. One could call this restrained, but I guess Mazzochin just enjoyed the sound of feedback. And so do I. Kind of sad how little is needed to make me happy; feedback and some black and white dirty pics. It looks great too. The only thing that bothers me is the URL on the spine. Why not the artist name or leave it blank? It's on the back of the jacket as well, so... why? Where's the appeal in seeing URL's when you're browsing your shelf? I could write a book on how much I hate unnecessarily visible URL's on record covers (with an in-depth chapter on Urashimas unbelievable faith and dedication towards comic sans while I'm at it). I need to cool off. But this is great stuff.

the best are links to facebook and myspace in linear notes and on back covers. in any genre of music its just retarded
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Johann

Valerio Tricoli: Vixit (secondsleep) Sick day today (which always makes me nervous to take even when I truly need it) so I'm trying to clear away some of the flu feelings and anxiety with back to back listening. First up on deck is Vixit, apperantly this LP is edited down from a larger audio piece that was played at Lampo in Chicago and based somewhat on the sound machines of Luigi Rusollo. The A side starts with a very organic crackle and manipulated sounds of water, soon giving way to a outerworldly drone that comes rising up and is punctuated by loud airplane drones panning back and forth, the impact of the sound and mastering are staggering...quiets into what could be rain falling or audio fragments sprinkled in that kind of way, wind chimes and distant trains (none of which are likely what they seem or sound) giving way to a massive drone dripping with acoustic sounds from an unknown room, the tapes begins to speed up and slow down turning into a lush electric haze...B side starts of with a creaking drone that seems to rock back and forth, wet sounds decaying underneath. The  sounds of a broken music box seem to take shape, fragments of everyday reality are mixed with beautiful electronics who's subtle rings consume whole rooms before finding the closet think to an identifiable "rhythm", it won't last though and soon morphs again into ghostly moans before flickering to silence. This entire record has a hauntingly sad yet beautiful quality to it. Tricoli is able to project into the future while having one foot firmly planted in the musique concrete of the past. One of the finest relases of 2016.

Johann

Menstraution Sisters Puppet Island: vocal vomit, a voice eating itself...silence and then the subtle chime of bells, suddenly the voice becomes more prominent (only for a few seconds) and then the chimes go straight into the red, feedback hovering in open ambience after every clank...explodes into a massive drone of untuned/detuned guitar feedback as one string is plucked, light use of cymbals, patterns emerging on the kit helping to pull together semblance (maybe), shit is loud, penetrating feedback with seemingly little to no effects. Some kind of primitive take on music, strange vocals barely audible, sounds childlike and disturbed. Several minutes in and it's only become denser with the guitar only used subtly more than the beginning. Crushing sound...guitar begins to deconstruct, strings stretched way out as strange vocal patterns hum along eeriely. Side two, in the red, maybe the recording device is damaged or being adjusted. Cymbals spare as guitar enters, the riff is almost catchy, the most bizarre strangled vocals, somewhere between a cat hissing and grux of Caroliner, doesn't even sound like a recognizable language. Pummeled drums hold together the "song"...second track on side two begins with electric buzzing, slowly building into a cloud of amplifier feedback. It's so dense if feels palpable. Electric scree and incoherent ramblings from the abyss. The storm just misses...sides 3 & 4 to follow.

ANDROPHILIA

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

pentd

Quote from: Peterson on January 09, 2017, 08:13:07 PM
(uh, apparently no overdubs? Really?)

hey... i never do *traditional* overdubs as in "listening to the previous take while adding the next" -- but i combine things, of course. they might be months apart. i aint no 8legged oktopus.. now back to topic:

TAD "god's balls" + "salt lick"

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: Peterson on January 11, 2017, 08:33:04 PM
Quote from: Johann on January 11, 2017, 08:16:53 PM
Valerio Tricoli: Vixit (secondsleep) Sick day today (which always makes me nervous to take even when I truly need it) so I'm trying to clear away some of the flu feelings and anxiety with back to back listening. First up on deck is Vixit, apperantly this LP is edited down from a larger audio piece that was played at Lampo in Chicago and based somewhat on the sound machines of Luigi Rusollo. The A side starts with a very organic crackle and manipulated sounds of water, soon giving way to a outerworldly drone that comes rising up and is punctuated by loud airplane drones panning back and forth, the impact of the sound and mastering are staggering...quiets into what could be rain falling or audio fragments sprinkled in that kind of way, wind chimes and distant trains (none of which are likely what they seem or sound) giving way to a massive drone dripping with acoustic sounds from an unknown room, the tapes begins to speed up and slow down turning into a lush electric haze...B side starts of with a creaking drone that seems to rock back and forth, wet sounds decaying underneath. The  sounds of a broken music box seem to take shape, fragments of everyday reality are mixed with beautiful electronics who's subtle rings consume whole rooms before finding the closet think to an identifiable "rhythm", it won't last though and soon morphs again into ghostly moans before flickering to silence. This entire record has a hauntingly sad yet beautiful quality to it. Tricoli is able to project into the future while having one foot firmly planted in the musique concrete of the past. One of the finest relases of 2016.

Everything I'm a sucker for with only a couple exceptions, damn...Johann, please link me to where I can purchase or check this out further, excellent review!

One of best LPs of 2016!

Baglady

FACIALMESS / HERMIT - Split C60 (Recalcitrant Noise, 1997)
Nice looking tape. Transparent grip tape covering the case, j-card in vellum paper...
Facialmess is really on fire on this one. Not as cutup as the other stuff I've heard from him (haven't heard much), but rather free-flowing. I kinda picture Pain Jerk and Incapacitants merged into one single person when I hear this. Speed, intensely sputtering synths, lots of crunch and effective use of vocals and samples to top it off. Tight as hell, yet still swinging. As noted above, I don't have much Facialmess in my shelves. Recommendations are welcome!
Hermit is quite the opposite when it comes to pace and temper. A track in four parts ("a noise adaptation of Vivaldi's Four Seasons" according to the j-card), all somewhat similar except for the last part. Restrained pulsating rumblings and drones. Not anywhere near the ecstacy of Facialmess, but then that wasn't Hermit's intention I suppose. Good stuff, and well needed after the wrestling match on speed that is side A.

collapsedhole

^ damn, my copy doesn't have transparent grip tape on the case, i bet that looks sweet!  but i concur - facialmess really nailing it on that release

Potier

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on January 12, 2017, 10:10:13 AM
Quote from: Peterson on January 11, 2017, 08:33:04 PM
Quote from: Johann on January 11, 2017, 08:16:53 PM

Everything I'm a sucker for with only a couple exceptions, damn...Johann, please link me to where I can purchase or check this out further, excellent review!

One of best LPs of 2016!

Tricoli certainly delivered in 2016 - the Clonic Earth 2xLP he did for PAN is even better than Vixit in my opinion.