PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lloyd jones

today,

zyklon ss 'iron brotherhood' still sounds great, if a little less forward looking than their DVD release,- treading the fine line between hal's noisescapes and the more formal approach of this latest. 'bring back the camps' indeed

various releases on ghost box recordings charting a weird, occult approach to the forgotten 70's Britain most of us never remembered.

goblin's 'profondo rosso' soundtrack

david lloyd jones

Quote from: vomitgore on August 20, 2016, 08:54:38 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on August 19, 2016, 07:37:20 PM
various itallobfilm soundtracks- eyeball, red queen kills five times, spasms, and other 'dagored' soundtrack delights

These were just too good! Have been playing the soundtrack to Fulci's "the Beyond" lately. Was also told about a band called Window Blinds that does some kind of experimental material inspired by Italian Exploitation soundtracks. Maybe a nice alternative to HNW?

Vhril - Vortex Psy-Synthesis: Was a bit hesitant to buy this, as the sample didn't really blow me away. The album itself was very enjoyable, though. Nice deep sounds with crafty percussion, all blends very well and there is nice tension, although all the elements are very subtle. May not be too far-fetched to draw some comparisons to Shibalba or Aural Hypnox material? Definitely brings the themes across nicely. No resemblance at all to Streicher, if anyone is wondering.

Gangrene - Cleaning the Wound: Now this is really something! Sound known from latest Unclean album mixed with constantly developing Edge of Decay. Results in pretty catchy and deep Industrial Noise / PE stuff. Just straight-forward and nicely executed "no bullshit" material with that certain extra. Very good!

Graustich - Dedicated to those who are still willing to get their hands dirty: I seriously worship Graustich and this is my favourite release of the project. Scratchy synth, filthy depth, nice layering and alteration. Pretty clear that the artist is pretty heavily inspired by MO, but he adds a lot of own ideas and manages to stay recognisable, in my opinion.

there are a number of Gallo inspired bands/releases on the cinedelic label from mainland Europe. they can be pricy but also worth it

cr

QuoteVhril - Vortex Psy-Synthesis: Was a bit hesitant to buy this, as the sample didn't really blow me away. The album itself was very enjoyable, though. Nice deep sounds with crafty percussion, all blends very well and there is nice tension, although all the elements are very subtle. May not be too far-fetched to draw some comparisons to Shibalba or Aural Hypnox material? Definitely brings the themes across nicely. No resemblance at all to Streicher, if anyone is wondering.

Well, as I said before, I think at least the first track has some Streicher sounds...

QuoteGangrene - Cleaning the Wound: Now this is really something! Sound known from latest Unclean album mixed with constantly developing Edge of Decay. Results in pretty catchy and deep Industrial Noise / PE stuff. Just straight-forward and nicely executed "no bullshit" material with that certain extra. Very good!

Looking forward to get this sometime soon.

QuoteGraustich - Dedicated to those who are still willing to get their hands dirty: I seriously worship Graustich and this is my favourite release of the project. Scratchy synth, filthy depth, nice layering and alteration. Pretty clear that the artist is pretty heavily inspired by MO, but he adds a lot of own ideas and manages to stay recognisable, in my opinion.

Listened to this tape as well yesterday, and as you said, it's also my favourite Graustich release so far.

Waiting now for the new F&V Releases to arrive during next week!

cr

Right now - as the Skin Graft 'Activity Intolerance' tape on New Forces is fucking great, I'll play some more SG. At least the few records I own. So next is 'drenched' tape and 'Enemy' LP. Harsh noise misery at it's best!

vomitgore

Will have to check for those Streicher sounds in the second listening. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Edge of Decay - Murrostila: EoD is certainly a project that's very sympathetic to me. Only good material so far, no attention-seeking and just good execution. This tape may be my favorite. Really great tracks that interact perfectly but still have some kind of variation to offer. Heavy, deep sound with lots to discover. Also, the tape is sold for a very fair price, so definitely something to pick up!

cr

Quote from: vomitgore on August 21, 2016, 06:36:12 PM
Will have to check for those Streicher sounds in the second listening. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Could also be it's only noticed by my perforated ears and mind, hehe.
Streicher sounds or not, I think it can exist as a great record on it's own, without the references to the persons/projects involved.

vomitgore

Definitely agreed. No "push" needed, as the material clearly speaks for itself quality- and content-wise.

Yrjö-Koskinen

In the process of settling in a new nation, I treat myself to a couple of Vaalea Lager. Having grown up with Swedish mass produced beer, I feel right at home with the cheap Finnish stuff. I can sense the pure, S-market/Kotimaista quality wash the last remnants of hipster IPA out of my system. I've had almost no time lately to listen to what little music I've been able to buy in the last month or so, but tonight it's:

Mutant Ape - Morte Felice CD 2015 (Turgid Animal)
Sometimes I feel like my reviews in this thread are very formulaic: I say what I remember about a band, and then I say that I am very surprised that now, when I listen to it, it is not at all how I remember it. Things will not be different this time. In days of (even) greater economic insecurity, I remember downloading a bunch of Mutant Ape's stuff. I remember it as quite straight forward harsh noise, perhaps somewhat similar to my Stoa work, in that it felt rather immature and still "finding its voice", so to speak. Now, this CD is a re-release of a tape from the early days of Mutant Ape, and I must say there is absolutely nothing here to confirm my former point of view. In fact, I might have to plug in some old hard drives and try to locate these Mutant Ape recordings of yore, since this is neither "straight forward" nor immature. Rather, it's crushing and varied, multilayered noise filth of a very pleasant kind. There's quite a bit of reverb, which despite the pedal feel creates a certain sense of space, there's rather typical feedback stuff, and there's also a dryer, darker tape-ish crunch that calls to mind the work of Ulex Xane (or any number of quality artists working with tapes). On some tracks, the sounds are heavily panned to the left or right, which means you either want to use headphones or you really don't (all a matter of taste). There's even some vocal work and reverberated percussion thrown in for good measure, stunts which do the job of broadening the sonic image very well. The tracks are very different from each other, but a consistent sound quality keeps the whole thing together nicely. I'm actually somewhat enthusiastic, here, and feel a bit ashamed about my possibly/probably fake memories of early Mutant Ape.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

gabalgabow

90's indus metal was something else...

Compilation with 5 Godflesh influenced bands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGfQGjgOW0

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: gabalgabow on August 25, 2016, 01:22:52 PM

P.H.O.B.O.S. does this style really well too.

gabalgabow

Quote from: Fluid Fetish on August 27, 2016, 02:46:25 AM

I had the first MCD,
don't remember it being too GF influenced

cr

SWANS: Public castration is a good idea
Best album title ever...

Looking forward to see them live again in October, presumably for the last time.

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: gabalgabow on August 27, 2016, 12:53:35 PM
Quote from: Fluid Fetish on August 27, 2016, 02:46:25 AM

I had the first MCD,
don't remember it being too GF influenced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThdGxvQxCKQ

This album and the split with Blut Aus Nord remind me to some extent of Godflesh. I don't think I've heard anything else.

Xenophobic Ejaculation- Vala: First tape is speech and oath laden noise of the finest variety, vocals, if they even exist, lie low on this recording rather then being mixed a lot louder like they are on a lot of other XE recordings. I love how it begins with a distorted and warbly NSDAP anthem with piercing feedback layered over what sounds like various anthemic crowd and speech noises and sharp quick fluctuations in feedback that eventually dominate the recording as the samples bleed in and out. And that's just one side of the tape. Second tape is of course KKK speeches. Packaging for this is genius as well. Can't wait to get the special edition version with WP and the live DVD.

Lord of Depression / Infernal Sacrament / Tetragrammacide- Split LP: Purchased for the Tetragrammacide songs primarily as I'm completely possessed by bands in this style, Lord of Depression I'm not into really at all as it's catchy and triumphant sounding black metal with rock sounding riffs that are not my thing at all really, first song is good but the rest don't interest me. Infernal Sacrament is good black thrash, this part I actually don't skip as it's pretty sloppy and aggressive which is how I like this style definitely. Tetragrammacide is excellent. Completely blown out noise metal with an emphasis on speed and pummeling sound, the drums at times are so muffled they overpower everything except just barely the curdling noise that comprises guitars and bass(?). Extremely barbaric but layered and complex in it's own way which is something I love in music.

Vergreuvbre ‎– Hate Yoga: Absolutely vicious, out of control, cacophonous and insane LLN worship. Screeching, chanting, and roaring vocals that sound like they're executed by two seperate individuals, guitar playing that is incredibly discordant, solos that sound like guitar strings shredding. I've been a LLN fanatic since I was a kid and second song Destruction of Young Soul is one of the best in this style I've ever heard hands down. Morbid and tortuous atmosphere like Black Murder but played at a ripping speed. Way better then their prior demo Black Ritual Metal.

SKY BURIAL

Quote from: gabalgabow on August 25, 2016, 01:22:52 PM

CHRISTDRIVER, 90's crust punk/metal influenced by Godflesh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBM8NpVhYjE

david lloyd jones

pitchshifter- their début on Placerville was pure godflesh worship.
more fluid though and to my mind superior to godflesh, as were head of David.