PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: D. Davis on May 17, 2016, 01:45:20 AM
Any distros holding on the Skin Crime box? Already sold out through Hospital???

I would think there's a slim chance Self Abuse Records carries it.

Bloated Slutbag

Zyklon SS – Iron Division tape
Zyklon SS – Nigger Torture Chamber tape
Zyklon SS – Anti-Personnel Explosive Device tape
Shift / hh ‎– Full Weight Of The Opposition 10"

There's nothing else, but violence, the violence of Zyklon SS, byword for grim, unsmiling, celebration, fetishization... of the reign of steel, of the pounding of artillery, of der bombed out, smoke-filled, bunkers, of lots of stuff blowin' up. To the slow march of whanging metals the Iron Division rolls proudly forward, grinding slowly, methodically, through decidedly traditional shit-stomping grounds paved by der meisters. Here, on the field of battle, the many and splendored ZSS predilections culminate, heavier on the electronics, with a sizable chunk of pointed speechifying to lend proceedings a decided thematic heft. Woozy machine-like murmur meets deliberate hammering thunk over which presides dominant vocal, the blood in your veins, the cancer in your brain, the motherfucking Black Dog. What really sets Iron Division apart from past efforts is the fully fleshed lyrical content, delivered with all expected spite, to really bring home a much more personal set of convictions. For whom does the voice speak and do we really want to know? Inarguably this is a voice which brooks no argument. As you were soldier, cause I for one have no intention of taking on the cancer in my brain. Don't even speak to me about the damn dog... Soon a hetting up of pace, thumping-er rhythms, straightened murmur-tronics, chanting crowds of heiling Spaniards, over and done before central highlight "Industrial Cancer" presents national klan gathering brought to life by repetitious thunk 'n grind, distorted sputtering machine-ics, growing increasingly unsettled, well-crafted atmosphere to soon putter out in the face of the self-explanatory "Bring Back The Camps". Marching rhythms, harmonized drone-wooze, carefully chosen words, pitch inexorably upping, tension to release only in the closing seconds, very well put together Side A. As for Side B, there's nothing else, but violence. "Kriegseinnsatz" slams with all force into the steel-booted thematics of yor, chopper-like atmos fighting extended distorted Germanics funneled through buried iron gratings and slowly gathering industrial-powered densities, grumbling engines struggling to splutter to life. Then to slowed-down sawing electro-rhythm against the voice of racially-charged incandescence, subtle grit-textures lending the slightest pinch of murk. Three tracks deep and the rhythmic elements morph into constant, down-tuned, metallic buzzings, thudderings, judderings as a brief, looped, history lesson cuts through the raw and unsettled field. Lest we forget: There is nothing else, but violence. So sayeth "Devil's Guard" and what way to go - out - with a bang. Layered woozings, swimming in and out of prominence, a rush of singed, whitened, bedrock, warbled echoing vocals, and r-l'd iron hammer thunk. Downright cinematic, but perhaps not quite to the documentaryesque flavorings of Nigger Torture Chamber. Nigger Torture Chamber: far more grim, raw in general tone, favoring subtly filthed-up down-pitched darkened atmospheres to the heavy industrial densities of Iron Division or the brute force of Anti-Personnel Explosive Device. With no significant deviations in mood or pace, perhaps as befits the twenty-eight minute playing time, a uniform atmosphere prevails: grim, gloomy, ground down- in the fucking dirt- grimy as fuck putrescence. The title track sets the tone nicely, cycling steel crank dragging through bass-heavy rumbling underbellies and repetitive, heavy-handed, impactful crunch. Out of the gloom, echoed rust fragments screech and protest, distant rattle of chains, soon to be swallowed by deliberate, creeped out, sink into the heart of darkness. At this point the slow march of "Exiles" clearly establishes a thematic base, blackened flatulent oscillations verge on machine-buzz proper to underscore impassioned segregationist speech-rally and the periodic beating of somewhat muffled THUD-thudthud coming on like some racially aggravated thug pounding "the truth" into your filthy mind. Naysay as you will, but there's no doubt. It could happen to you. It's gonna happen to you. You fucking shitdick. From the deepest bowels of blackest ambiance, a genuine lyrical voice rips to life, to assault the 'holes, to advise, perhaps, a bit of soul searching. Oscillations crawl along the floor, bits n scraps of metals, sunk to the core, scour the base, the pressure unrelenting, unforgiving. Then, flip that ass over for the descent of steel, scraping gouging grubbing unto death's dark dungeon. Pure, filthed gutter atmos, layered muted howling, squeaky cycling protestation, rust-beshredded punishments meted out without respite. To close then with nine-fucking-minutes of "Klandestine" site recording. Site of some bitter, angry folk with an agenda and an apparent Bob Matthews fixation. Idling motors, or generators, or perhaps even the rough recording set-up itself, to set the dirge-like, grainy, ambient tone, assorted voices yelling and chanting in fits and blurts, dropping in and out. There is a sense of much more going on than the audio alone would care to grant, thus leave it to your filthy mind to boggle. Call it unflinching docu-ambiance verite. An interesting choice of presentation in any event and fitting end to this solid bitch of a brevity. Argue with the vision, but whether we like it or not, people still admire and respect brute force. The brute force of heavy metal thunder. If Iron Division and Nigger Torture Device trust in samples and lyrics to serve up the didactics, Anti-Personnel Explosive Device thrusts straight into pure, sonic-sensual, assault. Soundtrack to the war to end all wars. The machines, the metals, the legions of shit blowin' up... it's as though Jean-Marc Vivenza were driving a fucking panzer, full tilt, through a machine-works factory. I swear every time this shit is on I feel like I want to dive, head-first, into der fecking bunker. Or stand attentive, proud and true, and have my fricken head blown off. At the least to suffer a pretty serious "Blast Injury"- the crunch, clunk n clank of multi-pronged scrapmetals smeared with the muddy machinery of buzz n drone. Here Jean-Marc is just getting the tank warmed up, ready to commit a felony- or worse - for it is only a matter of moments before the crimes are set to music, marching music, huge and kaleidoscopic layers of collapsing ironworks, crashing thrashing banging and smashing, growing ever more vociferous, thunderous, the sheer majestic onslaught approaching orgasmic, tectonic, symphonic. Brutality made life. Life made brutality. The air emphatically cleared, the straight-ahead "March for Blood", honking shizzle-action meets electro-oscillations and evenly paced, head-nodding, thunk. thunk. thunk. From here it is back into the gouging grubbing metals, first gentrified with fuzzy, closed-ended, synth permutation, then to the carefully mixed and arranged "Psywar" explosive-percussive. A return of the symphonics, details to emerge through bursts of artillery, an undeniable attention to compositional detail. Brutal, but not in the harshnoise sense, more evocative of a certain atmosphere, of weighty, steel-fisted, brute force, a thing to admire and respect. Whether we like it or not. Atmosphere darkens on the flip-side, buzzing engine drones drop several cycles to allow low-flying aerials to swoop and stammer, textured grating to only occasionally burst the unwavering mold, bleeding naturally into the even darker, rougher, "Oath Of Allegiance", similarly textured but with the weirdly echoing ritual oath yielding a very grim picture, the unsmiling face of approaching doom proper. Tone is maintained through "Resistance Until Death", detailed, jerking, metal-spastics clankering through thrummed echoing throb, as a strident sampled voice shouts encouragement. And just in case that weren't enough for you, the cruel and brooding deathambience of "Gassed And Destroyed" clambers over the distended rabble. Slow, methodical, cinematic, oozing festering accumulation of death vapors, distant rolling wheels, squeals, deadened sirens, all compressed into a few short minutes of dank dungeontronics. Deed done, what's left but triumphal marching band to usher in continuous shelling, bombing, machine-gunning, stuff blowin' up, shrapnel lodging in assorted cracks, holes, nostrils, slow fade to... the fucking "Rain Of Steel" and the return of... sonic-sensual symphony of... factory of metal sound, ripped to bleeding shit. Multitextured, multidimentional, hammering, slammering, ka-blammering metalwerk fuckestra, Jean-Marc on non-stop fap-a-thon. Potent shit, but... Whether we like it or not people still admire and respect brute force.

Under the influence of, among other things, the "Rain Of Steel" to be found in Zyklon SS manifesto Anti-Personnel Explosive Device, I could not resist the urge to whip out Full Weight Of The Opposition, a kind of manifesto in itself courtesy of the combined missions of Shift and hh. This is, perhaps, exactly as expected, and that is most assuredly a thing of which to cheer. "Pigshit" delivers fully-loaded hh-orchestrated bevy of steelworks symphonics, multi-faceted multi-pronged, massed and unwieldy, yet somehow in the firm grip of control. Filthing up the floor, a dirge-flecked surging, heaving, undertow, what I would take for the Shift, continuously threatens to drown out the clanks clunks and kerchunks. Vocals hit and they are none too pleased, nor are they terribly discernible. Five minutes pass and the vocals acquire a pork-like pitch, a kind of ghost-whitened piggy squeal,  perhaps only perceptible owing to the track title but in any case a most disturbing development whether intended or not. Flip over, fucker! "Truth Is Conflict" it says. Well, it is certainly more of the same, or, in any case, the familiar, symphonic, clank clunk kerchunk! A bit more spread out and wide cheeked, this kerchunk, the dirge-flavored filth-floor abandoned in favor of more brittle, wrinkled, shizzle-fizzle, nicely separated stereophonic scope lending a distinct vivenzational perspective. Clarity is the word, and into this clarity a deliberate, periodic, pelvic, muffled, thudgering. Bludgering. The vocal performance follows the beat, and the vocal performance:  is pure fire. Coming in well-spaced fits of full-on, blood-spittled, rage, of doubt let there be none. Truth is conflict. Harm is the norm. Doom will not jam. But don't you worry, cause their fall will be harder than ours. A decisive shift to heavier electronic densities finds tempered, coherent declarations delivered in succession over heavy duty, looped bass-sludgerings, curdled agitations threatening to boil over, but only to grind inexorably forward, as though the skull were being dragged unceremoniously along the spiked and pitted filth floor. Would hate to fall, like that.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Yrjö-Koskinen

The Rita - Sea Wolf Leviathan
Now this, you've got to love. As has been discussed above, I think The Rita is one of the few acts that get a free pass for really monotone and minimalist "wall" stuff, simply on account of them having been at it for so long and having experimented plenty. Still, to be honest, I'd take this over much of their new output most days of the week. Ballet Feet Positions is an interesting listen, but if I want to enjoy my noise at a more visceral level, this is what I'm looking for. I had this in my earplugs today after the gym, and ran into a local ex-skinhead, now full time speed freak and alcoholic. We had one of the most fragmentary conversations I've had in a long time. In case you didn't know, libraries are actually the biggest pirates of them all! A fascinating aspect of this guy is that he remembers shit I have only vague notions of - like how and where we've met and what we talked about five or ten years ago. It has very little to do with "Sea Wolf Leviathan", except that it framed the whole event nicely.

Also, if anyone would happen to know how one can find a copy of "Lake Depth Lurker", I'd be much obliged. It should really be re-released (perhaps on tape, like this one?).

Katie von Sleicher - Bleaksploitation
Another bandcamp digital download buy, which I might as well toss in here, despite promises to stay on topic. This is tape recorded pop with female vocals. The feel to the whole thing is melancholic, and they are not kidding when they say "tape recorded". Could well be dismissed as hipster crap, but if that is the case, then it's great hipster crap. Not my genre by any stretch of the imagination, but still a worthwhile listen.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Ernpe

Quote from: burdizzo on May 17, 2016, 12:03:47 AM
Really enjoy the new Sutcliffe Jugend one on Cold Spring - great patterns and fantastic vocals. Probably my favourite track is the dynamic 'Slice', but they're all good. Saw SJ live last year in London, and they were absolutely amazing. Anyone hear the one on OEC, or the one on Deathcontinues? I assume he saves his best stuff for Cold Spring?
"The Muse" is great. Haven't heard the two others, but the sample track from Cold Srping album sounded way less interesting. Don't know when these have been recorded, perhaps it is pure coincidence that three albums are released so close to each other? Anyway, the 2011 Cold Spring album "With Extreme Prejudice" was, imo, dull.
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

Fluid Fetish

Keep up the reviews guys, both succinct and long, some of you have a very good style/approach (Bloated Slutbag, FreakAnimal etc.) that I really enjoy reading.

FreakAnimalFinland

PUCE MARY "The Spiral" LP
Posh Isolation
It took me some time to get this into turntable. When I did, it was 4 times listened at one sitting. Great album. It's nowhere as noisy and rough as older works. It has gone progressively into more complex, more industrial-ambient textures. Lots of air there, and not static either. I'm sure many people will comment this, so I just leave it to conclusion that PM has managed to show that it's project what is going forward. New ideas, new approach. Not just rehashing what made project known.

HÄNDER SOM VÅRDAR "Aristokrat" LP
Järtecknet
Another instant multiple rotations album. While it's good, it fails to leave many memory traces what I'd remember in detail after few days.

KEVLAR "Alpha Strife" LP
Unrest
Re-issue of debut. Some said it is their best. I'd like to disagree, yet that doesn't mean it would be bad. Not at all! It's really good album, and like those above, also instant 3 rotations and leaves still hunger for more. What is the thing why I rate is less than new stuff, is simply that there is less of short-tracks. More of high detail textured longer pieces. Bleak spoken samples. Not very much of vocals. Good packaging what captures original packaging feel 100%. Still essential purchase, as it reveals Kevlars progress and diversity of material.

G.DICKSSON / BLODVITE split LP
Järtecknet
If one LP out of this batch in recent rotation is partly sucky, that's the g-dick side. Not that it would be bad, but simply falls into sort of musique concrete artyness. Playing spoken pieces, loops of old songs, few rewind sounds, lots of things what actually reminds a bit Joseph Hammer LP on PAN, but just doesn't do much for me here. While Blodvite is another one I just kept lifting needle from end to beginning again and again. I like how it managed to bring kind of new side of Blodvite too. Perhaps not "new", but it ain't what I expected, and it is actually better. So tasty done is the key element of this, that it's pretty close to ideal drone muzak. There is lots of subtle sounds and perhaps trademark Blodvite sound on the back, but somehow this drone itself is surprisingly constant and it's rugged vibrations creates eerie atmosphere. So far from lazy keyboard + reverb type of thing. I recall pressing was something rather small. 100? 120? 150? Be quick!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Yrjö-Koskinen

:⚛: - :⚛: (HNW, digital download)
Don't ask me why I keep doing this. My best answer would be "it's cheap and somehow fascinating", which is a shit answer. This release, on a "Laos" (actually UK, as far as I can tell) based bandcamp label, is a bit different from some of the downloadable hnw stuff I've listened to and posted about the last week or so. This may have something to do with the label. A digital download label called simply HNW might not inspire confidence, but the concepts, titles and covers on its releases are actually less generic than, say, Nihil Worship's. Some look like there's been thought put into them, others go full retard with Simpsons references and such. The music also varies quite a lot between releases, judging from the previews, and I would guess there are a few more people involved with this than in some other labels like this. :⚛: consists of two songs, entitled :0: and :00:. Both are approximately 30 minutes long. It's very soft spoken, bass dominated noisewall. The cover is kind of psychedelic, and looks like someone actually took more than two minutes (but less than two days) to make it. Once again: more of this stuff should be released on physical media, and it would feel much more relevant. This isn't the best hnw ever, but neither it is the worst. None of it ever is.

anomalie

holy ghost

Sissy Spacek: Disfathom/Duration Groups/Confuse 7"/Reversed Normalization: holy shit. New batch from Helicopter and Oxen. Holy shit Duration Groups is amazing. Ace Farren Ford, Ted Byrnes, Mike Du Bose plus the usual suspects. 36 of noise meets noisecore meets free jazz hellish horror. I have a ton of SS records and this batch is the best shit yet.

Unsustainable Social Condition: Dispersant CD damn this rules. Totally hypnotic harshness. Really glad this is out there. I like that the tracks spread out a little longer vs. the demos which were quite short.

John Wiese & The Cherry Point: White Gold. Never caught the original LP so this reissue is most welcome. I really dig what I've heard from The Cherry Point and this is great, no frills harshness. Only given it a spin once but I dig it.

Duality

Bizarre Uproar - Dekadenz: I was waiting for the LP but I finally caved and bought it from Bandcamp. BU has been going from strength to strength recently, with Vihameditaatio to Amputaatio and now Dekadenz, the general evolution of the sound is becoming filthier and filthier with each release. It still feels like BU while not simply being a rehash of previous works. The sound is a bit more defined and menacing. My favourite track Vaurio with its eerie spoken word and pounding drums without any electronics needed.

bitewerksMTB

Atrax Morgue "Ripper Box" Urashima- in order of what I liked best: Spasmo., Lesion 22, & NY Ripper. I haven't listened to the cd yet but I'm happy that Black Slaughter is an extra as I remember it being very good. NY Ripper isn't as great as I thought I remembered. There's a couple of duds on there. Spasmo. is definitely the highlight here.

Also, listened to the live Con-Dom tape on Freak Animal. S1 is great but s2, the vocals are too blown out but that's hardly a negative.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Blood ov thee Christ - Master Control (CD, Segerhuva)
This is a fascinating album. In a way, BOTC incarnates what makes noise and power electronics great. The actual music is, at most, half of the total experience. For the rest, personality, circumstances around the recording, and non-musical aesthetics are what carries the day (this rule also covers "minimalist" or art-fag stuff that claims to disregard "image", but obviously just has a boring and simplistic form of it). On a side note, this dependence on non-musical factors is actually almost as obvious with other forms of popular music. Most pop/rock/whatever is really technically crap, depending on a beat or a very simple melody to make us feel very simple things, and the rest is about the musician and possibly the lyrics (which are god-awful even when trying, whether it's N.W.A., Rage Against The Machine or Bono). With noise it's more honest - if I want music pure and simple I'll go with Bach. Back to topic: as I guess most people on this forum knows, this is a re-release of tapes recorded in the early to late 80s. Skillful marketing from Segerhuva relaunched BOTC's career (sort of), and there has been a number of live gigs as well as numerous releases, despite a few snafoos along the way. Now,while great marketing has given Blood of thee Christ a boost, this particular album is actually NOT the best example of non-musical elements being central to music. Rather, the artwork chosen for the CD, the songtitles and the few samples are quite simplistic and don't really dominate the experience at all. Rather, this is a great album in it's own right. Murky rumblings, high pitched squeels that never get annoying, and a constant sense of motion - all these things contribute to making this album great, and something you want to listen to several times every now and then. Minimal vocal work interacts with feedback, there's a few porn samples thrown in for good measure, and the whole thing is very anarchic in a way few would try (let alone pull of if they did try) today.

K. Fenrir - JGS (Digital Download, Self-Released)
The online scene of reddit-organized free digital compilation "albums" and Bandcamp culture is bound to produce something really worthwhile every now and then. This evening I found some fine, and free, dutch dark ambient, released in november last year.  Now this I like, even though I (as the old man I am) still can't get past the lack of physical releases. This rather short album is a tribute to the Icelandic poet Jóhann Gunnar Sigurðsson (1882-1906), and he has also supplied the lyrics which are spoken during the rumbling ambient soundscapes. My Icelandic isn't quite up to par, so I don't know if it's all comical with overt dutch accent or not, but it's down-pitched and dark enough so that it shouldn't be noticable to anyone but a native speaker if that were the case. There's lots of little subtle things going on here, and the overall impression is pretty awesome. This stuff would belong on Cyclic Law or somesuch, even though it's clearly a little rough around the edges. I do hope someone picks it up at some point and places it on a tape or a CD. When browsing the band's Bandcamp page I also stumbled across the track "They have voices too", which is some kind of pro-Vegan ambient. Not sure I care for that, but I'm even less sure I care about it either way. This stuff you need to hear if you're at all into dark ambient. I'll even supply a link for once: https://kfenrir.bandcamp.com/album/jgs

IVX

Con-Dom – War and Ordnance cs (Freak Animal)

Very impressed with these live 2015 recordings.  The a-side is a really good mix for my tastes.  MD's vocals are primarily un-effected, fairly high in the mix, and have rarely sounded so rabid and animalistic to me – some passages sounding just downright violent but still mostly intelligible.  Kind of on the growly side for him as compared to releases with a more 'spoken' approach. Backing tracks range from ominous and plodding to classic aggressive din. On b-side vocals sit more inside the mix than out front, general recording is more blown-out as Bitewerks mentioned, but still great. Highest recommendation on this.

Disgusting Sanctum – Nekrotik Aktion cs (Black Psychosis)

Nice release by new Coma Detox project.  Solid death industrial with heavy atmosphere.  Production is top notch for this sort of stuff, probably on the high end for my tastes but still has a gritty feel.  Synths, (spoken) samples, junk/metal/perc noise etc.  Vocals are few, but man they are good.  Lower in the mix, heavily effected, and more on the spoken side but they sit perfectly and sound just fucked.

Disgusting Sanctum - Stimulation From Assault cs (Black Psychosis)

Releaseed with "Nekrotik Aktion". Crumbling waves of static and screech with the occasional vocal penetrating the fog, bits of synth creeping in. Production feels better to my ears on this one – more overdriven, which I think suits the material better.  Songs on both tapes could be edited down, but material actually seems to benefit from medium-long form style with lulls between vocal parts.

burdizzo

Graustich Diversity tape: First side is one long track, about 15 minutes. Has some good sections, but overall feels a bit unfocused, and in comparison to the other side it doesn't really cut the mustard. Side B starts with 'Divide for Zion', which is classic p.e. - underpinned by fast throbbing with a slow, regular percussion, intermittent voices, and taunt electronics becoming prominent for the 'body' of the piece. 'Plan B', on the other hand, is based on a slow thud, fluttering noise, and a more irregular percussive pattern, but with taunt noise again making its presence very much felt. The last track is 'Sons of Nelson', and features plenty of African chanting and reminds me a bit of African Noise Corporation's 7" (if anyone remembers that!?). Of course, the power electronics traits kick in and come to the fore to good effect.
Overall, I'd put this above the tape on F&V, and the best of it is better than the 7", too. However, as I say, the first side could have done with a bit of editing. Still, certainly a project worth following.

vomitgore

Quote from: burdizzo on May 21, 2016, 10:17:58 PM
Graustich Diversity tape: First side is one long track, about 15 minutes. Has some good sections, but overall feels a bit unfocused, and in comparison to the other side it doesn't really cut the mustard. Side B starts with 'Divide for Zion', which is classic p.e. - underpinned by fast throbbing with a slow, regular percussion, intermittent voices, and taunt electronics becoming prominent for the 'body' of the piece. 'Plan B', on the other hand, is based on a slow thud, fluttering noise, and a more irregular percussive pattern, but with taunt noise again making its presence very much felt. The last track is 'Sons of Nelson', and features plenty of African chanting and reminds me a bit of African Noise Corporation's 7" (if anyone remembers that!?). Of course, the power electronics traits kick in and come to the fore to good effect.
Overall, I'd put this above the tape on F&V, and the best of it is better than the 7", too. However, as I say, the first side could have done with a bit of editing. Still, certainly a project worth following.

Interesting thoughts! I have been appreciating this project more and more. When the F&V Tape came out, I was just into other sonic worlds and couldn't really get into it, but now I hold the whole approach in very high esteem. I played "Diversity" and "Dedicated to Those..." back to back and I would agreee that "Diversity" may be slightly superior. Maybe some of the "unfocused" moments you mentioned actually benefit the old school and murky approach Graustich takes?