7" appreciation topic

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, September 19, 2014, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

RUNZELSTIRN & GURGELSTOCK / RUDOLF EB.ER "bock . mist . bock" 7"
P-tapes
One sider 7", with other side silkscreened over grooves... hmm. Less noisy. Can't really say more obscure than usual, but it has a bit more goofy approach.

ORDO EQUILIBRIO "I4I" pic 7"
Cold Meat
It's been long time since I listened Ordo Equilibrio! Not all the stuff has aged so well. In other hand, gothic neo-folk/synth stuff of 90's does have sometimes nice clumsy atmosphere to it. I still like their first album quite a lot. 2nd is ok. This fall into that era roughly. 1313 copies were pressed of picture 7", those were quite different days, hah. Acoustic guitars, keyboard orchestration, quiet vocals.

ORGANIZATION TOTH "Red Light" pic 7"
Athanator
Hmm.. Somehow name of band always appealed to me, but I don't think any of their releases made particularly big impact on me. What would really be their masterworks?! Way too much of dancey rhythms here, what makes ritualistic loop and vocal manipulation way too small element to be able to truely enjoy this. I like that there are short segments instead of long monotone tracks, but well... They'd need to be much better, hah..

THO-SO-AA "Dying Reveal" 7"

Drone
Another band I have quite many releases in my collection, and waiting for some more to come from Tesco, but well... Don't really know why to take more. I sort of like what I hear, but I keep thinking that it need more human touch to it. It has quite neat flowing feel here and there, but always more cinematic and "cyber" feel, almost like humming sci-fi soundtrack with spoken samples, synthetic sounding echoes and such.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

N.A.O.S. "Iron Youth" 7"
Devilish Music Propaganda
Greek black metal fame with his martial/"neo classical" project on Membrum Debile Propaganda side label. Combine Mortiis, Blood Axis and Laibach and you got N.A.O.S., hah... So plenty of keyboard cheese, but also low-pitch male voice, proto-fascist/satanic lyrics and overall 90's industrial vibe. I remember I didn't care much for this when it came out, but now when I think how many of this type of bands are out there, it's decent for at least nostalgic reasons.

NULL "Heavy Water" 7"
Fourth Dimension Records
Especially Heavy Water pt 2 is very good. It has lots of pitch altered keyboard (?) tones and slowly drifting atmosphere. This is perhaps my favorite era of NULL. Not noise, but really pleasant droning electronics, guitar drone and such mixed together in with "hand made" feel to it. Not overtly dominated by gadgets.

PUTREFIER "Hyper Tension Classics" 2x7" lathe-cut
Birthbiter
I know this stuff has been reissued with stronger sound on 4xCD set on Harbinger, but what's the use of having original lathe-cut release if one wouldn't listen to it?! Came out in 1999, limited c. 50 copies. Kings Records plastic, so you know what you will get: Fairly flat sounding mid-frequency noise. No heavy bass. No crispy treble. This being the late 90's Putrefier, I think sound quality adds nice dirt to overall sound. His approach went from power electronics/industrial stuff to more harsh noise, but lacking the "american" heaviness or "Japanese" high energy blasting, and involving more of "electro-acoustic" type composition and sound recycling what makes things very distorted, but hardly ever LOUD. With restrictions of format, Putrefier performs well and it's good to listen also material which doesn't rely purely on maximum brutality.

thetenthousandthings

I have been wanting to resurrect this topic for awhile.

For various reasons lately I have come upon a lot of great 7"s after not buying them for a time - no reason in particular, just wasn't finding any in the shops I guess... or more specifically didn't bother to look(?). Over the last month I've taken to the format greatly for reasons stated in this thread already, & so I was wondering:

What are your most devastating -core / -grind / etc. 7" 's? I esp. like comps for this format like Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh!s & Chards of Civilisation.
Not exactly looking for 'punk' stuff, but rather stuff like Arsedestroyer, World, Fear of God, Sissy Spacek, Nikudorei.
Ideally looking for "bands that play songs" rather than something like 7MON or Gerogerigegege. Doesn't have to be just noisecore either. The Discordance Axis side of their split with Capitalist Casualties is another great example. Maybe I'm asking for too much?? I have a pretty good grasp of this stuff but hoping I have overlooked a lot!

7" 's found in my local record stores lately since things have slowly reopened:
Blowhole - Staples
Blowhole - Uncoastin'
The Dead C. - Metalheart
Aaron Dilloway - Chain Balled
Willem de Ridder + Crawl Unit - Voice & Sound
Hands To - Tentresa
The Haters - Rot
John Hudak - Natura
K2 with Hands To - Noise Tournament Vol. 7
Runzelstirn & Gurgelstock - Bock Mist Bock
Runzelstirn & Gurgelstock / Sudden Infant split (Self Abuse)
Sissy Spacek - Confuse
Sissy Spacek - Pyrrhic Victory
Small Cruel Party - The Subtle Body
V/A - Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh! The Record
V/A - Son Of Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh!

impulse manslaughter

That's a good batch. Won't find any of these in local stores here.

no_baizuo_allowed

I see no harm in contributing to this thread, haha. 7" is obviously a great format! Although from time to time people tend to claim that 7" is not a sellable format among noise collectors? Can't say I agree. Anyway, just picked this out of a pile:

DRY MOUTH - Gone Troppo 7"
Virulent Rationality, 2014

Probably my favourite release of this band, who with copious amounts of reverb were evidently going for a spacey dub-noise combination that worked very well, as I say this is the probably their best release. Two tracks compacted down to the short 7" format seems to bring out the best work of Dry Mouth. A-side is a great example of the style they were aiming for; while the B-side is probably my favourite for it's queasy, garbled expanse. Maybe the best point of comparison is the 80s LPs of Mission Papua Holland, when they had a crack at dub-industrial weirdness.
Also a fantastic Zap Comix-esque cover illustration that fits the part of a very original band. Only complaint is that I wish the VirRash label would have spent some more dosh on vinyl records for their other in-house projects (Noematic Oblivion, Radical Creation, Cervere). Incredible label while it lasted, but I think all parties involved in this production have moved on to 'greener pastures'.
⚠️不允许白左⚠️ https://novichoklabel.blogspot.com/

no_baizuo_allowed

Sektion B – Sleepers Wake Up 7"
20 years later this p.e. anthem still hits hard. Sleepers wake up to the maggots infesting our scene
Dunno if I should whinge about Sektion B being "slept on", but it sure as hell receives alot less talk then some of the so-called "genre redefining" P.E. emanating from certain quarters of the U.S. right now.
All one can do is give it another spin and enjoy the good times.
⚠️不允许白左⚠️ https://novichoklabel.blogspot.com/

burdizzo1

Quote from: no_baizuo_allowed on April 05, 2022, 10:21:11 PM
Sektion B – Sleepers Wake Up 7"
20 years later this p.e. anthem still hits hard. Sleepers wake up to the maggots infesting our scene
Dunno if I should whinge about Sektion B being "slept on", but it sure as hell receives alot less talk then some of the so-called "genre redefining" P.E. emanating from certain quarters of the U.S. right now.
All one can do is give it another spin and enjoy the good times.

Well, Sektion B, as far as I know, is no more, and a Sektion C off-shoot emerged - though not nearly as good. "Sleepers Wake Up" was, indeed, excellent, but I think their 2017 CD, "When Democracy Is No Longer Enough" - and especially the track "Shame" - is the zenith.

xfbbx

Quote from: Neanderthal on June 15, 2020, 06:08:35 AM

What are your most devastating -core / -grind / etc. 7" 's? I esp. like comps for this format like Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh!s & Chards of Civilisation.
Not exactly looking for 'punk' stuff, but rather stuff like Arsedestroyer, World, Fear of God, Sissy Spacek, Nikudorei.
Ideally looking for "bands that play songs" rather than something like 7MON or Gerogerigegege. Doesn't have to be just noisecore either. The Discordance Axis side of their split with Capitalist Casualties is another great example. Maybe I'm asking for too much?? I have a pretty good grasp of this stuff but hoping I have overlooked a lot!

I love everything Dahmer put out, but especially the 9 song 7".
https://www.discogs.com/release/860010-Dahmer-9-Trax-7-96
That is #1 for me as far as grind 7" is concerned.

APPLE

Quote from: xfbbx on April 09, 2022, 03:52:58 AM
Quote from: Neanderthal on June 15, 2020, 06:08:35 AM

I love everything Dahmer put out, but especially the 9 song 7".
https://www.discogs.com/release/860010-Dahmer-9-Trax-7-96
That is #1 for me as far as grind 7" is concerned.

Öpstand remain the most violent thing I've ever heard. Try the 'No More Police Brutality' 7". All their stuff is berserk.

burdizzo1

Graustich
Blood Patrol
Total Black 2020

Drawn out air-raid sirens, growling electronics, disembodied voices, and background beat. Simple, but sinister. I like Graustich's vibe, and I like the grimy, foreboding feeling it produces.

Mr Klang

The New Blockaders / Organum 'Pulp' (Aeroplane Records, 1984):

''Pulp' is the King of all Noise 7"s. All other Noise 7"s want to be 'Pulp.'' Ron Lessard, RRRecords

''Pulp' is proof that the 7" record can still be relevant.' Gary Mundy, Ramleh / Broken Flag

'The most savage aural-attack I've heard. Relentless musical violence.' Paul Lemos, Unsound

'Clear proof that Noise music was not invented in Japan.' Evolver

FreakAnimalFinland

Recent 7"s includes mostly hc/punk stuff, grind, etc. Lots of 2nd hand stuff that has arrived to my store and got to check if I need them myself or just put in the shelves.
Latest noise related great items was for example LUDO MICH 7" on Deadmind rec. A-side is room live recording with Crank Sturgeon. On slightly dirtier 7" is sounds really bizarre, but digital can be heard here:
https://dead-mind.bandcamp.com/album/materialization-of-the-intangible

Manhog_84

Just bought Brethren - Kingdom Coming from flea market event held at local leftist headquarters höhö. Powerful in your face shouting and slightly more congested sound makes the vocals blend in nicely. I actually prefer this to more crisp and clean sounds of the albums.