7" appreciation topic

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, September 19, 2014, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Wertham "Maladolescenza" 7"
Deathangle Absolution Records
Nice title. Nice back cover image! Two tracks of known Wertham style of vocals, spoken fragments, buzzing electronics, creating quite solid and steady sound in the end. Just like I commented on Control, I don't think there is bad Wertham releases, but not so easy to find the ultimate hit track that stands utterly memorable. Both these tracks offers good dense multilayered power electronics information overload, but also not utterly distinctive elements that would make it jump out of discography.

ROMUTUS 7"
Maybe label name is Ei Armua?! Not sure. This is Turku based fast and wild bass-drums-vocals hardcore punk mixed with Umpio doing harsh noise. In the end, you got "fastcore" tempo paced noisecore blasting. It's not hyperfast, and basically tracks have same tempo and feel all the time. But sound is good, inclusion of lyrics makes vocals something else than mere random screams. Good titles as Suomi Kusee, Suomi on Kehitysmaa, Jumala on runkkari, Jeesuskauppiaat, Suolesta, etc etc..

INTOLITARIAN "Omnicidal Murderer" 7"
Deathangle Absolution Records
Noisecore blasting from USA then. So change the hc/punk aesthetic to hostile-to-all antihumanism and destruction, visually leaning to later days inhuman warmetal and you get the point. Basically its like taking Revenge kind of music to logical extreme: abandoning idea of riffs and longer song structures. Just dark and distorted short blasts. I think this old material was better than debute full length, but still, recently released 2nd full length crushes it easyly...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Urban Noise

Will you have that INTOLITARIAN 7" to sell at Freak Animal?
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Urban Noise on November 27, 2014, 06:56:25 PM

Don't think so. It appears hard to communicate with label at the moment. I just got one copy for myself. If situation changes, I will try to get them. Now I would guess best place to buy this labels stuff is Hells Headbangers?

Ashmonger

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 27, 2014, 09:45:47 PM

Don't think so. It appears hard to communicate with label at the moment. I just got one copy for myself. If situation changes, I will try to get them. Now I would guess best place to buy this labels stuff is Hells Headbangers?
All Deathangle Absolution Records releases are only available through Hells Headbangers (or so it was announced at the NWN! board), though I believe Darker Than Black/Merchant of Death was getting some (but then he just bought them, not wholesale), don't know whether he still has some.
So, Hells Headbangers is probably your best chance.

Baglady

EDWIGE - Play The Game Or Leave The Bed (Release The Bats)
Not sure if it's already been mentioned in this thread, but anyway... Much in line with the first LP, this is a perfect EP. Harsh noise by Sam and Dan with Brewer making a hell of a racket in the midst of it all. To the point. Some sleazy samples thrown in as well. Feel like saying so much about this EP and the first LP, but what is there to say really? A real nobrainer. Probably cheaper now than when it was released.

Urban Noise

Quote from: Ashmonger on November 27, 2014, 11:07:43 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 27, 2014, 09:45:47 PM

All Deathangle Absolution Records releases are only available through Hells Headbangers (or so it was announced at the NWN! board), though I believe Darker Than Black/Merchant of Death was getting some (but then he just bought them, not wholesale), don't know whether he still has some.
So, Hells Headbangers is probably your best chance.

I know Hell Headbangers is the "official" store. I'm trying to avoid making orders overseas, that's why I've asked. Thanks anyway!
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

FreakAnimalFinland

Wrote about this 7" couple years ago..

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 01, 2012, 09:51:56 AM
ASHTRAY NAVIGATIONS "the "o" mouth direct input raygun" 7"
Turgid Animal
This is the prime example of absurd UK noise. With track titles like "Moonfried marshmallow eyesockets signific indifference". I used to admire old A.N. stuff, but at some point I got really bored with with it. I guess it has a lot to do with one terrible live show I saw. Not that anyones one bad set should ruin anything, but it's not always about intelligent reasons why you like or don't.
This 7" restores my faith in fact that Phil Todd most certainly knows what he is doing. Not so much muddiness of drone muzak, but quite crystallic high pitch synth resonation and oscillation, with mellotron and guitar creating solid drone background. Nothing here will revolutionize the world of noise, but gave few spins for the 7" and especially in this type of 4 songs in 7" format, it works well. Hits into somehow same nerv as old MITB electronic tracks. Short, atmospheric, gets the job done.

Also would have to say, that even if it has very little, if anything to do with Grey Wolves, some of the stuff here made me think about Catholic Priests Fuck Children. Raw noise drone, but subtle melodic patterns on back like few of the greatest GW tracks. Of course here it's more in form of drone. Also Skullflower connection happened in my brain more than anything about MITB...

AARON DILLOWAY / THE CHERRY POINT "Fencing" 7"

Troniks
Dillo side starts noisy, gets way less noisy and slowly builds back to raw and physical. Even after 4 spins of his side, it escapes to really capture attention. I do like what is done here, but somehow the live take of rough sounds doesn't really really become good "song" and remains perhaps too short to be stuff you just sink in..  Nice, but only nice.
CP guys do 45rpm side. Faster, louder, thick wall of noise. It appears like reverb was used before distortion, creating very strong wall-like sound. All gaps are covered, but still one can hear details below the static. Good stuff.

blackoperations

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 18, 2014, 02:21:15 PM
SKULLFLOWER "Total" 7"
Vinyl Communications
one side great drone/feedback stuff, other side pretty lame live material. I wish both sides would be as solid as opening piece. Of course, it's the "same old" we have used to expect from Bower. Guitar and feedback. Nothing new back then, nothing new now, but this era Skullflower appeals to me.

the 3 x CD reissue of Carved Into Roses, Infinityland, plus a disc of 4 x 7"s from that era revealed this to be what alot of people thought : that it was more like a Skullflower/Total split 7". the titles were also listed too.

Skullflower : Metallurgical King (Live)
Total : Twin Constellations

here :
http://www.discogs.com/Skullflower-Carved-Into-Roses-Infinityland-Singles/release/3227174

totally agree the Total side is great and the main reason to own that 7". no, it's nothing new at all, but still great all the same. i mean, how could someone who's into guitar feedback and droney noise not love this?!?! check it out : http://youtu.be/ojLLesU6kKk

FreakAnimalFinland

ALLERSEELEN "Nornar nagei / panzergarten" 7"
Ahnstern
I have kind of love/hate relationship with this project. While I would want to like what I hear, very often I don't. This is one of the better ones for my taste. It's pretty easygoing muzak anyways. Based on single loop going on and other things build over it. But not just clumsy dance music, but something else too.

THE GEROGERIGEGEGE "Life Documents" 7"
Fourth Dimension
This is the true anti-Tahdon2014 soundtrack. Lousy electronic dance music and grunting homo vocal noises on top. Nothing healthy, nothing neat, just sleazy men in absurd action. One could always want little more noise, but it's ok for 7" length!

ALTAR OF FLIES "Cenotaphs" 7"
Hästen & Korset
Good 7". One one louder and more textured. Starts great with noisy loops and racket, gets more quiet and "artsy" if one should use such word. Builds back to good noisy textures. Other side with piercing electronics and tormenting animal sounds. While being good, it is 2010 recordings, what means the best of Altar of Flies was yet to come...

BASTARD NOISE / GEROGERIGEGEGE split7"
Bastard Noise does short tracks of vocals and electronic noise. Few sounds that I'm not too excited about, but as usual, they do good job in their typical style. Gerogerigege rocks on with more Ramones kind of way. Hardly the best thing either band did, but I can say that I'd still buy any missing piece of either ones 7"s if there is some.

impulse manslaughter

I've been buying a lot of old stuff. What are the best recent 7"s (noise/industrial/exp.)? Thanks!

Ganesha23

Home alone for a couple of hours and here's the result.

Nyodene D: Caged Dog / Common Criminal (Phage Tapes)

"Caged Dog" has rough metal junk, very good shouted vocals and minimal synth background. Works fine with very simple and effective means.
"Common Criminal" is the same sans scrap metal and more fx on vocals. Not bad / not great to my taste.

V/A: Engines Of Modern Dysfunction Vol.1 (Phage Tapes)

Seven artists on 45rpm 7". Yeah, it's fast, sharp and loud, cut-up noise by bigger and smaller names of the sub-genre. Both sides are over sooner than you think and on side one I couldn't be sure where one track ends and other starts. No problem, works fine this way. Side two is slightly easier to follow I guess. Seems that A Fail Association and Baculum are names I need to get more familiar with.
Nice locked groove ending that you can easily listen to as long as the actual tracks.
Great cover art. More volumes of this please!

John Wiese: Mixed Metaphor / Into A Bad Way (Phage Tapes)

Excellent harsh noise! No tricks'n'gimmicks, just blast like there's no tomorrow. Hails!!! Some of the source material for this was provided by Masami Akita and yes, this is reminiscent (especially on side two) of golden era (ie. mid 90s) Merzbow.

Custodian / Pusdrainer split (Phage Tapes / Dead Pope Productions)

Custodian does harsh noise in rather Japanese way with lots of short loops, some cut-ups and overall free-flowing feel. Sound itself or timbre or whatever doesn't seem to change that much but the way the loops and cuts act brings much variation to the whole. Very good.
Pusdrainer sounds very violent with just screamed vocals, feedback and delay effect. Maybe it's just vocal mic going through distortion and play pedals to amp? There's some Masonna touch here, but not as extreme. Works fine and with a short dose like this there's no need for more. A longer whole would of course need something else.

Faux Pas / Grain Belt split (Phage Tapes / White Centipede Noise / Small Doses)

Faux Pas is high energy harsh noise with live feel. Loud and joyful Good stuff.
Grain Belt is more composed with distinct layers of sound. Harsh scrap metal (loop?) is especially great, and other rumble and feedback fit well on top of it. Killer track in finest US noise tradition.

K2: Iron Kulture (Self Abuse)

Klassik stuff. Innovative movement and full spectrum of variation in sound.

acsenger

Bad SectorDolmen (Drone Records)

A very good 7" of quite simple, rhythmic dark ambient. It's highly atmospheric synth music and the record is a good example of how what works perfectly on a 7" would probably be too simple for a full-length to be exciting throughout. The only letdown is the mundane vocals that appear a few times on side A: someone is saying one or two words that I can't make out, and it's just really out of place. Anyways, these interruptions are luckily too short to really affect the atmosphere of the music.

acsenger

The HatersHello Hater (Pinch A Loaf Productions)

Great noise in the style of The Haters: erosive, absurd, single-minded. It starts and ends with a girl leaving messages on GX Jupitter-Larsen's answering machine; in between there's static distortion with repeating short sounds on top. Great 7" with a funny cover.

OrganumOrganum (Sonaria)

According to Discogs, this is side B of another 7" (Crusade) repeated 6 times on side A and 5 times on side B. This is another crazy idea by David Jackman, but it works quite well. So what you get is short (less than a minute) burst of noise with silence between them. The piece itself is distorted noise, a bit like early Organum, with nice undertones buried underneath.

eyestrain

Nature Morte/Ronan Le Déroff - L'Arbre Carré / Le Voyage Des Ténébrants Marins (Midi À Ma Porte): Nature Morte is one of those ambient projects that hit the right spot for me. No occult nonsense, no rhythms, no sci-fi referencing. The project's name is appropriate to a great degree. The dead nature... or the still life genre. Both cold, inhuman, sterile and lost. If the music is in anyway post-apocalyptic in theme, it is not because of any human meddling - or at least it is not focusing on humanity at all. It's just that cold, lifeless breeze. ... Anyway, I don't think that NM often flies the coop. The project has a direct purpose, and I enjoy it quite a lot. Ambient that is majorly morose, while a s-l-i-g-h-t sense of beauty (nature's?) is hiding far below the droning synth waves. If you've heard any of the various release of the project's (aside from the Ô Paradis collaboration maybe), you're not gonna have your feathers ruffled. A similar affair to their usual output. Ronan Le Déroff is a new one for me, but I could easily see him being Nature Morte's (sole?) member. Not much to say hear, you've basically got a solid Nature Morte 7" on your hands. It's hard to even make a reference here. I guess early Cisfinitum would be my best comparison. But less melodic and less eventful - in a positive way.

Idea Fire Company - Days (Swill Radio/Plinkity Plonk): A little powerhouse, as far is the lineup is concerned. That's kinda the IFCO schtick though, right? Foust, Borecky, Lambkin, Kreftingall present. So, Kye/Penultimate heads go nuts! I sat on this 7" for a while, cos at $9, I'm always going to give pause a few times. Swill Radio had a January sale though, and it was time to finally grab a copy. I think that the sounds present - mostly reminding me of Karla Borecky's solo LP on Recital - are more entitled to a full-length presentation. Even at 33rpm, this 7" is very, very brief. A-side is almost strictly the sound of Karla's piano. One can barely hear Scott's contribution via synth at all. The flip is a little more enticing; field recordings at fireworks mingle with a similar phrase that occured on the first side. It's a little nuance, but it gives the title, "Last Days", a more meaningful place. A little more "harmony" pops up because of the contrast. In the end though, I can't reflect much on the piece - it's just so damn short.

Various - V-p V-f Is V-n (Winds Measure): One installment in a series of releases; there's also a double CD-r (also available as a free mp3), a C50, and soon a print edition. This 7", much like the cassette (maybe 50 artists?), is comprised of a slew of quick tracks; each around a minute in length. Contributors include Jeph Jerman, Ben Owen, Richard Garet, Tommy Birchett, Lawrence English... so I think you can take a guess at the stylistic range that is present here. Field recordings, mixer experiments, drones, loops, near-silence and shrill tones. It all flows very well in it's short stay. I was wary of buying this because it has 5 lock grooves - they all conclude each side. Mostly,  when I play 7"s, I'm moving around the house and will come back to repeat the side a few times before doing a flip. Lock grooves made it seem so involved, but I just realized I needed to devote a small extra to this. Not much to complain about really. Truthfully, the locks are the only part of the 7" that are uninteresting for me. They're not sounds that I want to hear on repeat. The rest of the tracks, in their sometimes abrasive transition make the whole affair well worth it. The locks are obviously easy enough to skip too. All slick, white, letter-pressed and laser-cut like Middle Press always does.

acsenger

The HatersBlotch (Behemoth Records)

One of the less successful Haters 7 inches in my opinion. Side A is, surprisingly, a straightforwardly rhythmic track (whether this has to do with one Mark the 3 Kord Scissor King being the producer, I don't know). It's interesting but not outstanding, which is equally true of side B, an experimental track where formless noise gradually appears, then disappears.

Derek Bailey & Ben Watson1/28 Silverfish Macronix (Rectangle)

Not being very familiar with either Bailey or improvised music in general, I do have 2 CDs by him: one still unopened, the other a difficult listen yet still quite captivating. On this 7", Bailey recites a poem by Ben Watson & accompanies it with improvised guitar playing. I generally don't like these kinds of vocals or contemporary poetry, so that's already a minus. Obviously it's quite hard to only focus on the guitar playing. It's an interesting listen, but I can't say I enjoyed it. As I shoved it on my shelf, I thought I'll have a listen again maybe in 5 years and see how much I like it then...