7" appreciation topic

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, September 19, 2014, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

STIMBOX "Patrick Purdy" 7"
Self Abuse - murder case #12
Good stuff from mr. Stimbox. Not really HARSH noise, but noise nevertheless. Maybe due all sorts of throbbing electronics and signals, concete sounds, screaming kids and loose structure one could lump this to PE direction? Man arrives with machine gun, opens fire to schoolyard. That's the theme. A-side is really all about screaming kids and noise. Its dark, sinister, menacing work. B-side is musically more impressive noise, but also less concrete human element, less atrocious feel to it. Lots of inserts, is quite a memorylane towards old computer technology. Fuck, now when you have to be announed about people not being able to get their artwork done with proper resolution, back in these days, state-of-the-art technology matrix printer artwork looks like printing pacman game screen.....

MARCONYMPHA "Arthur Shawcross" 7"
Self Abuse - murder case #11
Surprisingly atmospheric contribution from Macronympha for murder series. One cold perhaps assume knifing some cunts, abusing kids and strangulating whores could demand all-out sonic massacre, but no. This is brooding and dark soundscapes most of all. Of course it is build from the rotten distorted noise elements, but far from aggression and energy. More equivalent of strangulation. Extra points from always tasty screams of female in moments of agony & fear. Several small inserts. Sally Mann photos found new context here. Lots of text. Really really nice and kind of different Macro 7"! One for sale at discogs, for less than 7 euro.. You know 1997 release, ltd 250, need to wait?

ATRAX MORGUE "James Oliver Huberty" 7"
Self Abuse - murder case #10
Each side has similar idea. One steady tone or electroni oscillation and then second layer has highly effect vocals, what slowly cascade over tone with exaggerated distortion/delay/etc. Minimalistic. Dark. Story of James is about man going to hunt humans. 21 killed in mcdonalds with semi-automatic weapons. American style.

SKIN CRIME "Monster" 7"
Self Abuse - murder case #9
Andrei Chikatilo should be no new character to anyone. I'm pretty sure number of PE/noise acts have done tracks about him. But as good ones as Skin Crime? Hmm.. hard to say. This is orgy of noise, done from what appears to be shortwave radio sounding electronics, utmost frenzied orgy of metal junk. B-side starts far more heavier harsh noise blasting, until last piece ends up into stuff that mixes feeling of 1st and 2nd side together. Hectic electronics, people screaming, distorted mess... Good 7"!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

CRAW UNIT "The Most Dangerous Game" 7"
Self Abuse - murder case #8
Very painful "drone" recording from CU. Zodiac theme, ultra hard-to-grasp frequencies utilized for maximum punishment, but also just tasty texturized noise drones.

SURGIGAL STAINLESS STEEL "Woman Hater" 7"
Self Abuse - murder case #7
Gerald Eugene Stano is interesting case, as it's not fully sure whether we talk about serial killer or serial confessor. Who just took the blame. Solotroff here gets the job done. Coversong of I Can't Stand A Bitchy Chick is already a second american cover of The Sodality classic. SSS is perhaps among the most interesting Solotroff works. Vocals are calm narration, blurred with effects. Noise itself is as static as Solotroff usually is, but eventually there is more complex level to this. Vocals remind of "Groupies" era I.A., noise sounds is almost like Bad Jack era I.A. with additional feel of Terre Blanche. Good american power electronics!

SLOGUN "The Heights" 7"

Self Abuse - murder case #6
Texas boy raping & killing candy shop owner gets treatment. Still today Slogun sound is something what can immediately recognized. This heavy wall of electronic was among defining the american pe sound. High pitched screamy voice is drenched in MASSIVE delay effect, what is also perhaps the most dominating element of all sounds. Songs are basically just mass of delay, where few layers of different kind of stuff happens. This style of Slogun is not my favorite, but it works for 7" format. I think "Kill To Forget" kind of era where lyrics became into crucial role, added the viciousness to bands work.

THE RITA HN

QuoteUltra - I Can't Stand A Bitchy Chick / New Centurian 7" Aquilifer Sodality
This is a compliment: I love the almost mundane / straightforward / non-performative tone to the voices of some early US Industrial / PE.  Monte Cazazza, Factrix, German Shepherds... anything that sounds like just some guy I vaguely know unexpectedly going off about how he wants to butcher people while still sounding almost approachable, not like anyone visibly frightening, highly agitated, or spike laden, just a guy in a button up and khakis maybe, not even all that often yelling and screaming, just vehemently stating somewhat unpopular opinions... very enjoyable.  I guess I'm so used to monstrous screams, that a normal voice saying this kind of stuff is more exciting.  The A side is a classic of convincingly direct proclamation with shy submissive screams, abstract electronics and marching pounding percussive elements (heard this a few years before The Sodality original), I remember being ecstatic when Bloodyminded played a cover at a church basement show I set up that nobody went to in like 2006?  Oh my god, they're playing my favorite song!  B side is also endlessly classic, I love the screaming, the sinister delivery, the subtle riff, excellent sense of space.  There's room to move around in it, makes me feel complicit.

Great write-up.  I probably play this more than any other 7" I have and it's great for people over at the house that aren't versed in the genre.  This is definitely another release I admit to actually having a back-up copy of.  Mastered really powerfully, and the cover is fucking amazing.

FreakAnimalFinland

DEATHPILE " Dedicated To Edmund Emil Kemper" 7"
Self Abuse, murder case #5
First side has very loud flanger vibrated vocals and highly electric sounding full and heavy sounds to back it up. B-side sound is even more towards the Blunt Force Trauma kind of heavy and thick slab of electronics, and vocals are more calm, yet odd slow flanger effected sweeps back and forth and volume of vocals is totally in-your-face. It is one of less interesting in series, its just because its typicality vs. most other artists submitting so killer stuff.

Mlehst "Dreams Crossed Out" 7"
Self Abuse, murder case #4
Quite stand out in series, being almost ambient piece. What makes it tasty, is barbaric quality of it. In a sense that there is very obvious delay-pedal tricks. "90's tape noise feel" adds so much to experimental ambient. Simple, primtive, but good!

DEAD BODY LOVE "Grace" 7"
Self Abuse, murder case #3
Was quite distracted when trying to listen this yesterday at Sarvilevyt when preparing for MK9/SS/BU gig. Too many distractions and was hard to capture feeling of 7" even with 4 spins. But return with no people around, crunchy electronic noise is 100% guaranteed head fuck.

TAINT "When You Meet A Stranger" 7"
Self Abuse, murder case #2
Some of the most complex and lets say well made Taint. Not total in-your-face, but what it loses is lack of sheer brutality, it simply overpowers with excellency in craftsmanship, composition and raw sonic disturbance.

Hanged Mans Orgasm "Frenzy" 7"
Self Abuse, murder case #1
Skin Crime side project which started this series. Field recordings and low humming electronics. Mostly sounds like cracking twigs and walking on leaves in forest. Haunting voices...

PRURIENT "Worm in the apple" 7"
Statik Action Records
Good times of Prurient. Guttural hoarse voice. Utmost screams. Melodic patterns, but only subtle element on the back while raw, distorted loud noise is on the top. Bonus points for including "Show me!" book advert (in swedish) in back cover of ep.. heh..

ALLEYPISSER "savn" 7"
Angoisse
Great 7" of bleak tape industrial noise sound. I guess a lot of people got overdosed by scandinavian tape loop and lo-fi noise, but when you listen stuff like this, I can't be bored. Brilliant stuff. I like even more one of the Alleypisser tapes, but this 7" seems far superior to his new recordings...

FreakAnimalFinland

Schräge Musik / AntiChildLeague "Eternity / III Me Me Me" 7"
Schräge Musik
Gothic feel over this industrial stuff, what occasionally come close to contemporary "power electronics". Heavy and dark soundscapes and vocals over it. Never aggressive or noisy, but no melody, subtle simple rhythm, etc. Schräge Musik is Patrick of Sixth Comm.

THOROFON / IDPA split 7"

State Art
First release by State Art label, and I assume also first Thorofon and first Idpa too. Noisy, commanding power electronics from Thorofon, who is still messy and raw compared to even first LP. Idpa delivers minimalist dark ambinet with slowly waving rhythm of bassy electronics. Idpa was mr. State Art's own project.

SMELL & QUIM / TAINT split 7"
Red Stream
S&Q starts with cut up of spoken word pieces and then progresses into drum machine/guitar junk and down-pitched shouting vocals. Nowhere near as good as S&Q is at their best, but something oddly bizarre in their approach captures me. You never know what to expect, even if releases would have been recorded in same era.
Taint starts with some acoustic junk sounds. Some metal, some appear more like bricks or stones?! Then hits in hard distorted harshness. Piercing feedback, and same rumble of manual noises continue below the fierce harsh noise. Some spoken word appears in end of song, but most of all it's brutal harsh noise. Despite all simplicity, still very tasty.

VIOLENT ONSEN GEISHA "Balloon Collector in the wilderness" 7"
Japan Overseas
Nice cover art here. Music is pop music cut ups. Short cuts of song patterns, wrong speed, loops, scratching... Never very brutal noise. Few moments of distorted screamy voice and heavy metal riffing over dumb drum machine beats. In world of collage music / turntable mis-use, VOG perhaps isn't absolute top performer, but again, 7" works pretty well. I doubt I'd listen stuff like that from full length album too often...

AMPS FOR CHRIST / 1-EYED CYCLOPS split 7"

Empty Chairs
For some reason I like AFC quite a lot. Mix home jamming folk with experimental electronics, and generally its something I can't handle. This, especially opening track, has captured my brain quite well and I remember it well despite hearing song years ago.. This guy was the machine/electronic gardget builder for Man Is The Bastard/Bastard Noise. He uses some of the similar ones, but leans much more organic direction.
1EC from Italy is much less interesting. Kind of similar category of goofing around with guitar and rubbish, but short songs are nothing beyond the averge bedroom experiments with guitar, some toys and 4-tracker..

VICEKOPF "Principia Schizophonica" 7"
RRRecords
1990 recording of side project of Gregory Whitehead. Audio-poetry? Spoke-word cut up? Obscure, bizarre and weird is what it is. Especially 2nd track, "How To Pronounce "Prothesis"" is just oddities of speaking excercises etc. A-side is less interesting, although something dysfunctional and disturbing emerges through multilayering spoken fragments what repeat themselves.

BURNING STAR CORE "Body Blues" 7"
Hospital productions
Two very nice blurry drone tracks. Especially I like B-side, but nothing wrong with more bass loaded a-side either. Everything saturates into one warm analogue blurry sound, what includes plenty of elements and active sound fragments that create the final piece. I take this over digital and synthetic dark ambinet any time...

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 07, 2014, 02:27:45 PM
Hospital productions
Two very nice blurry drone tracks. Especially I like B-side, but nothing wrong with more bass loaded a-side either. Everything saturates into one warm analogue blurry sound, what includes plenty of elements and active sound fragments that create the final piece. I take this over digital and synthetic dark ambinet any time...

Was he the violin guy?

A 7" triptych that sprung to mind the other day are THURNEMANS. Punishment As Reward, Willhelm and Hatha Yoga. It's been a while since I listened to them but how excellent they are. Still available for more than reasonable money on discogs. Made up of the mythical charachter P Axelsson. A degenerate who works at sea. Listening to them now. Great stuff. I may write a more detailed review later. 
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

SKIN CRIME / PAIN JERK split 7"
Self Abuse
Both sides offer extreme harsh noise. Skin Crime has more straight forward heavy blast, while Pain Jerk strikes with loops, zipzap lazer electronics and crunchy and punchy assults of noise. What Skin Crime wins with sheer brutality, it loses with being very much "the same" from beginning to end, while Pain Jerk wins for delivering more surprises, it loses for lacking the bassy heaviness and ongoing merciless force of Skin Crime. There, both compliments eachother well, and its a pleasure to flip sides over and over again.

PSYCHONAUT "Zos Vel Thanatos" 7"
Ajna
I have vague memory of owning also Valefor presents Psychonaut tape, but this 7" really is only release I liked quite a lot. Especially Psychonaut 75 became such a musical farce that all the feel was lost... this 7" from late 90's was still wildly echoing, sounds of flutes, bone percussion and vocal invocations. Both sides quite similar, but b-side works even better as vocals operate more on quiet chanting style.

PRURIENT / JOHN WIESE "cloven spike" 7"
Hospital Productions
2008 released, ltd 150 one-sider. Recorded in NYC, mixed in LA. I would guess, based on what I hear, that a lot of sound is by Prurient and mixing by Wiese. There are also lots of Wiese-esque sounds, but especially mix is far away from typical Prurient. When two guys do what they handle the best, Prurient with utterly fierce noise and electronics and vocals, Wiese with top notch cut up & mastering, this 7" is really great noise blast.

DAVID JACKMAN "Laus" 7"
Die Stadt
Reversed, waving, symphonic orchestral bits organized into slowly moving, but heavy sounding soundscapes. Deep melancholy, bizarre dissonanse what isn't present in a lot of classical music. At the same time great stuff I admire, but also ask myself what the fuck? Why same short piece on both sides? Why can't he put out proper releases like everyone else? Luckily this isn't some 2 minute piece made out of single orchestral loop, but still...

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on October 07, 2014, 03:07:43 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 07, 2014, 02:27:45 PM
Hospital productions

Was he the violin guy?

A 7" triptych that sprung to mind the other day are THURNEMANS. Punishment As Reward, Willhelm and Hatha Yoga. It's been a while since I listened to them but how excellent they are. Still available for more than reasonable money on discogs. Made up of the mythical charachter P Axelsson. A degenerate who works at sea. Listening to them now. Great stuff. I may write a more detailed review later. 

Yep. He's the violin guy, but not playing violin here. Nor it's the improv stuff kind of material. I used to be quite cautious to approach any BSC stuff, and I associated it with the prototype of "USA hipster noise", but he's both great guy and also made some great releases.

THURNEMANS certainly should be mentioned! I think I have in my record store bunch of 7"s for years.. maybe in mailorder too? Stuff that very few seems to care/remember, but best of his stuff is really nice.

tisbor

Uh nice topic! I'll pick up some of the suggestions :)

Baglady

Thought I should write about the THURNEMANS 7"s after work tonight but mr Unrest got there first, heh.. Great stuff! Haven't heard Punishment as Reward yet though. How does it differ (if at all) from Willhelm and HathaYoga?
Need to pick up the first 7" and the Estheticks Of Cruelty comp which also has a Thurnemans track.

GEWALTMONOPOL

It's the one with the best artwork foir a start. A big fold out sleeve with plenty of photos relating to the subject. The music is the same heavy, buzzing death industrial of the other two 7"s. Not sure which rpm it's meant to play at but I keep it at 33. It's heavier like that. Great stuff!

EDIT: Just flipped the record over to (re)discover a good Onkel Kånkel beat on that side. Makes me feel like dancing.

Baglady

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on October 08, 2014, 12:25:53 AM
It's the one with the best artwork foir a start. A big fold out sleeve with plenty of photos relating to the subject. The music is the same heavy, buzzing death industrial of the other two 7"s. Not sure which rpm it's meant to play at but I keep it at 33. It's heavier like that. Great stuff!

EDIT: Just flipped the record over to (re)discover a good Onkel Kånkel beat on that side. Makes me feel like dancing.

No RPM on the first one either, hah? Hatha Yoga sounds great at any speed, but I prefer 33. More music for the hard earned money (29kr/3,50€ i think it was).

GEWALTMONOPOL

The label says 45rpm but like you I want my money's worth. Plus 33 is just right for mongo dancing to the Onkel beat. In the bottom right hand corner on Punishment it says "Pay no more than 20 SEK". Anyone paying more than that is clearly being rippped off by those who don't respect the punk ethic behind it.

PAY NO MORE THAN 20 SEK!

FreakAnimalFinland

ANTICHILDLEAGUE & SILENT ABUSE "She lost control" 7"
Hagshadow
Noisy, she-lost-control kind of power electronics assault. Silent Abuse screams like maniac. Gayas style approaches quite close to Con-Dom style repeated short sentences - a'la Bible Right. Compared to latest album of ACL, this older stuff is far less interesting and technically inferior, but it also does have more dirt to it.

VIVENZA "Fondements Bruitistes" 7"
Electro Institut
1984 release of Vivenza and still stands as one of absolute highlights. It's hard to say what exactly makes this so damn good, but like last time I was listening this, couldn't turn it off until 5 times reached. To me this appears like stuff what one could listen entire day. Just two short tracks. Loops, live manipulation, subtle sounds, utmost industrial music atmosphere. Just perfection.

TERRE BLANCHE "The Sickle Cell" 7"
AWB
Times when racist power electronics was unusual. Or was it? Maybe not. After two tapes, TB release 7" with two piercing, feedback/drone type of power electronics blasts. Nothing ultra ripping or sadistic. More moody and atmospheric after all. Exploitation of lowest gutter interests of underground collectors. Back cover suggests 3 member line-up of skinheads, but I guess most know that it wasn't exactly the case.

V/A "Japan Bashing Three" 2x7"
Public Bath
1991 Japanese compilation with big names of the time. Hijokaidan is merciless. Utterly energy filled, yet fully treble based screech. Instant 3 rotations on their side. Solmania is quite lazy guitar noise in terms of distortion levels, modulation tempo and physical assult on strings. But in a way unique and different from everybody else. Hanatarash shows skills of crazy surreal loops and sound collages while Masonna screams his lungs out. Out of all these, Hijokaidan truely is king of noise. While Masonna may have won points for its wacky noise in past, but survived test of time weakest of all these four.

AMK "hi-fi" 7"

Banned productions
Lock-grooves all over the place. Yeah. Nice, but not for listening records...

PAIN JERK / BASTARD NOISE -split 7"
Alternative Tentacles
So what got Alternative Tentacles to put out stuff like this? MITB split with Mumia? Well, one side pretty good noise blast. One side quite generic noise with Wood roaring on top. It's ok, but even with several spins, hard to find what exactly would rise this among top 7"s of either project...

BOOK AND SWORD 7"
Warcom Media
Facist electronic music for new era. Or what was it called? Oddities from Sarote Industries label roster. At one hand it's just silly goofin' around with gear, not knowing whether should aim for Joy Division postpunk or NON kind of industrial. And in the end, not really having what it takes to create classic release. But under-the-radar fascist music oddities, who wouldn't welcome copy in their record shelves?!

DUST BREEDERS "Cargo" 7"
First heard about these on their collaboration with Junk. Then proceeded grabbing more stuff. While Junko collaboration and some others are very tasty lo-fi ripping noise, this is different. Especially one side is more about tribal drumming. Or should I say some nutcase doing fast bongos? Nothing spectacular here. It's good divider on playlist between good 7"s so you realize how good some stuff really is and how this isn't. hah.

DIETER MUH "Aakal / Nostrum / Earblind" 7"
Harbinger Sound
Good release from DM. It's calm, almost to be filed in ambient category, but still the post-industrial wibe of all sorts lurks in. Being too active for "ambient". Too hand made/noisy loops for being just background sound. Never really noisy to be in-your-face industrial music. Good stuff.

FreakAnimalFinland

hmm.., 100 x 7" full and seems like warm up..

DODSDOMD "Everburning Evil Fire" 7"
LSDO
Mjölby / Sweden, power electronics. Guy behind project was involved in bunch of punk bands since 80's. Not sure whether this project is active anymore? Couple CDr's (sssm, self abuse) and couple full lengths on LP and CD. This was one and only 7" and is good stuff. Think of electric high pitched noises a'la Halogen era Whitehouse, Nicole 12, Bastard Noise, OP Rechts, etc. But with perhaps more multi-layered and some crunchy harsh distortions too. Whispering processed vocals on one side. Perhaps this style is not as popular as the "lo-fi" gutter violence, but to me it appeals strongly. Certainly his LP worth to pick up too!

TAINT / STRICT split 7"
Ajna
Taint offers couple samples of little girls and massive bolt of harsh noise blast. Good, perverted, sickening dark noise as always. Strict is winner here, though. Utterly demented high pitched screaming voice and piercing feedback and few crushing noises over throbbing, oscillating synth line. In all its simplicity it's like classic SJ sound from early 80's taken to 90's for little bit more clarity and force. Absolute masterpiece here.

KADEF "Secret Rave" 7"

Membrum Debile Propaganda
Kalojan Witanski's project is something I know couple guys worship, but overall seems to be totally overlooked? Primitive german noise. Lots of loops on this one, totally effect free and raw hand made primitivism. Packaged into enema bag, complete with tube etc. And that plastic has unfortunately reacted vinyl vinyl itself over the years. Some sorts of plastics just do it. Exchange of molecules or whatever there happens and surface of transparent vinyl is full of chemical imperfections and it results even the sound of vinyl. But as sound of noise is so brutal and coarse, constant surfacenoises don't really ruin whole thing. First side has the loop dominated rhythm while second side is utter noise wall with great primitive texture.