7" appreciation topic

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, September 19, 2014, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

7", appears to be heavily underrated. Although stuff gets released, it never gets such reaction that albums get. People most often complain they don't bother to listen such a short releases. Bored to flip sides every 3-8 minutes etc.
I personally consider 7" one of the absolute best ways for active listening. To pick up specific item, put it on turntable in moment you want to hear that specific item. I actively listen this short dose of sound, what in best releases is not just random cut of noise blast, but focused compact song. Possibility for quick re-play instantly.

I realize all people don't like flipping stuff, and they want also longer album length pieces, but nevertheless, there seems to be too big lack of appreciation for 7"s. Literally thousands of great 7"s appears to disappear into total void of lack of interest. Cult bands absolute best items remain "collectibles", but otherwise...

So I was thinking, if there is hundreds of 7"s that never get noticed anywhere, not even in form of few short comments, why not start project of active listening. Investigate through pretty much entire collection of 7"s. To start this, I picked up semi-random 20 7"s from my collection, and thought I'll go through them in one day. But no. Ended up listening each 4 7"s (of this first post) 3 or more times. Always just skipping back on beginning of side. But even more this proved myself why I should just go through my entire 7" collection.
I like to connect the dots. I like ability to compare levels of achievements of bands. Not only listen stuff that is good or great, but build larger perspective of things that have happened or are still happening. To limit view (for some time) strictly for overlooked format, may give interesting angle, and perhaps few recommendations will get new homes for hidden jewels that are these days found criminally cheap from online marketplaces...

LIZ GIZZAD "Woodstock Burning / Deep Sea" 7"
self financed
1997 UK noise rock of some sort. File together with Ramleh, Cosmonauts Hail Satan, Splintered and such. One side heavy drum beat, even heavier distorted bass riff, lots of guitar noise on top. Other side far more focused on floating free form drones, including synth and painful guitar feedback. Some cymbal crushing. Epic stuff. Both sides great and different!
AUBE "Monochordattune" 7"
Gender-less Kibbutz
1996. Using metal wires as source, Aube does what he used to do. Slow building sonic arts, where abundance of looping and effects malform the original sound source. Layer after layer - generally ending to merely 3 different active sounds being adjusted at once. You can recognize metal wire sound very well, especially on a-side. Both sides start slow, build more tension, but despite distortion used in some elements, it never becomes NOISE.

AFRICAN NOISE CORPORATION "Nelson In Sun City" 7"

Robben Island Records
supposedly african label distribute by MDP but it was his own sublabel. Don't know who ANC is, and this ltd 111 copies 7" has remained pretty much mystery what hasn't appeared to interest too many people. It sounds like someone in germany, who isn't that far from methods and style of Irikarah or such. One side quite typical heavy electronics and another side much noisier with buried vocals, fierce feedback/electronics and could be even something what Prurient later did. Not bad, but when label appeared with kind of utmost gimmick only, putting out mostly obscure side projects, it had artificial feel to it. Shortly lived 2001-2002. I'm missing Materialschlacht and Kampfgruppen Der Arbeiterklasse 7"s, but as at least one is A Challenge of Honour side project, not sure wether I need them.. Any comments anyone?

ANEMONE TUBE / TENDER LOVE split 7"
Innerspace Records
There was also split tape of these two, what was perhaps 2nd release of AT? Anyways, this also very early in his discography. 1998 recordings. Assuming 4 tracks in use, where feedback drone, waving keyboard tone, distorted noises and some clanging sounds blend together in kind of amateurish way compared to what Anemone Tube does these days, but in other hand, timeless feel. Would be hard to really say what exact decade or moment this material belongs to. Noisy, but not noise. Droning, but not easy drone. Not plagued with computer editing, not limited by ultra primitivism. Pretty nice.
Tender Love appears like the type of bands who didn't interest many, and therefore method was doing splits with people. He fits well to this split as approach is quite similar. Effected vocals, rumbling electronics & noises, but evading all the easy categories. Except that it isn't too good. Just sort of experimental bedroom noise. This was pressed 500 copies back in 1999 which now expectedly put this into category of "grab it from discogs for 2usd"...

MANON ANNE GILLIS / G.X. JUPITTER-LARSEN "Encored Dust" 7"

Noisepoly
Two version of track, from 1994, 1995, released in 2000. Very nice, yet of course simple structure what hides inside it a lot of subtle detail. Basically what you hear is nice organic noise. Broken glass, dust, dirt, junk sounds. One track is more static and mid-tone works while other has wide spectrum of sound. Gimmick on this 7" is that both tracks are on both sides. Meaning, "both tracks are featured as two distinct pieces interlaced together as double parallel grooves on both sides of the record." So you drop the needle on different groove, it plays through entire side with one song. Drop it to different groove and it plays though same side, but different track.
This certainly would work for some fans of TNB etc. More complex piece is this, I believe 1995 then....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhODKwGqPmI

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

Robben Island Records was ran by Marco from State Art*. I have the reviewed 7" & the two you're missing but I do not remember anything about them.

I like 7"'s; it's too bad they cost a small fortune to produce & sell.

*I could be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure I remember him telling me about the label unless I'm confusing him with the Membrum Debile guy. I think I corresponded
more with S.A. than M.D.P.

ANDROPHILIA

7" and tapes my favorite format

in these days 7" run are from both from Extremocidente label
Wertham - Streetcleaner 
Intolleranza -  Come Il Vento / Werwolf ( italian cult RAC )
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

burdizzo

I really enjoyed the ANC and GAF 7"s on Robben Island records, and would be reasonably interested in getting their other 7" releases. The prices on discogs aren't that exorbitant, so maybe soon.... There was also a 7" by Diktat. Who are they?

ironfistofthesun

Cloama     Death Certificate 7"..
Perfect for the medium...songs short enough to work on 7" but long enough to feel like a full ep. It seems like most 7's i play nowadays hardly seem worth the effort of putting on as I dont seem to  have time to sit and listen and enjoy before im flipping it over again, but this record seems almost like a 12". Just perfect. Never more than 3ft away from the deck at any one time.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: burdizzo on September 20, 2014, 10:06:10 AMDiktat. Who are they?

I thought it's a German project but I'm not sure. Italian maybe? There is a 7" split with Irikarah which is excellent. Not convinced by the Diktat side but the Irikarah track is so good it's worth getting IMO.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

ANDROPHILIA

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

FreakAnimalFinland

Now few minutes time, so revised opening message...

MAMARRACHO / MINCH split 7"
Egg Scab Records
1996. Japanese Saitoh brother who did Mamarracho, also featured in Gerogerigegege back in those days. Short lived Japanese noise project is something that combined Gerogerigegege type of ultra distorted instrument carnage, but also kind of Melt-Banana kind of "odd" musicality. It's mix of brutal noisy sounds and "noiserock"/noisecore etc. I don't see any links to this material, but hear demo 2 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Da_gLQoeg , but I think stuff like this 7" is far advanced from those recordings, but demo#2 also should satisfy a lot of people into Gerogerigege! You still hear on that youtube clip how bulldozing bass sound band had etc. Really intese stuff here.
Minch is not as good as the ultra classic debut one sider 7" from 1990, but still amusing humor noisecore.

CON-DOM "Oh Ye Of Little Faith" 7"
Tesco
First Con-Dom 7". Two nice studio tracks, one being pretty much cover song of Madonna - which maybe very few people have realized? At least I don't remember it ever being talked. This studio work recorded after first album and carries similar great feel of carefully crafter, atmospheric experimental power electronics feel. Not to be compared to very early days brutal noisy intensity, but instead complex structure and carefully adjusted conceptual noise works. Listened this like 5 times, and still it blows my mind how great Con-Dom tracks are, and that you can grab copies for around 10 euro still now, and nobody bothered to upload it on youtube... Well. Good reason to pick up original, with nice cover with plenty of text too. Tesco 007 !!

MAUTHAUSEN ORCHESTRA "Lost in Boyz Town" 7"
Bloodlust
Among the last MO recordings I really like. 1999, 45rpm short blast. Limited 100 copies felt like exaggeration for series of such a great 7"s label did back then. Raising Vapours  CD did very little for me. That 1997 comeback album felt like crappy shit compared to era that ended back in mid 80's. While CD felt clean and lacking ideas, this has still somewhat rotten quality in good way, where dense layers of electronic have the old MO feel. Suffocation, rot, rumble. Droning feedback is pleasant listening on b-side too.
Nothing revolutionary is here, but sort of wanky electronic noise works in analogue format, c. 4 mins each side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYvYSkhWVMM
(one can compare to Raising Vapours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45pHfjSMrlg and I think his later 7"s also followed this kind of keyboard tone dominated stuff)
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Baglady

TESTICLE HAZARD - Het Potatis 7" (A Dear Girl Called Wendy)
Easily the best TH in my opinion, along with Python In The Bowl. This is way more intense than their longer works, which makes the format perfect. Had the playing time been longer, while still being good ofcourse, I believe I'd lose interest. Just a short but vital dose of very skillfully performed harsh noise. Goosebumps.

bitewerksMTB

Putrefier "Pray for Fire" 7" is pretty much perfect. Lots of great sounds & still available for a low price. It's on one of the I.R. cd's, I think? I need to get those eventually.

Baglady

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 21, 2014, 10:09:44 PM
Putrefier "Pray for Fire" 7" is pretty much perfect. Lots of great sounds & still available for a low price. It's on one of the I.R. cd's, I think? I need to get those eventually.
Definitely! And yes, its on the Unreleased and Compilation Archive CD. Really good release.

ANDROPHILIA

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: ANDROPHILIA on September 21, 2014, 11:07:13 PM
what about Whitehouse 7" ?

Both of the Susan Lawly 7"'s were excellent. I remember ordering "Thank your lucky stars" & had to wait for a loooong time before receiving it but I never saw "Still Going Strong" for sale anywhere.  I love the scrap metal sounds on "S.G.S."

ANDROPHILIA

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

tiny_tove

Unfortunately I have no time for proper revies.

7" has always been my favourite format sinc ethe punk/hc days.

To quote one of my all time fave 7" is definitely the whole batch of AWB records.
Intrinsict action's eps were perfect in sound and form.
Final solution's "Do as your told" 7" , total classic with two of the best PE anthems ever.
Terre blanche's 7" (I so long for a complete collection of their whole discohraphy)

More soon
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0