CRAWL UNIT / JOE COLLEY

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 15, 2009, 08:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eigen Bast

Funny seeing this bumped; I just recieved the  "Hive" cdr and "The Most Dangerous Game" murder series 7" in the mail. Hive is great; whirring, vacuum crumbling drone of the most literal order. There is a moment on Hive very similar to a section of the first track on "Stop Listening" where it builds to an overbearing buzzing hum then drops out to a low end throb; it gives me the chills both times. The Most Dangerous Game is two  tracks of heavy drones, though textured enough to start toeing into harsh territory. Certainly puts me in a mood; psychotic without relying on vocals to freak out the listener-slow burn. Killer layout too; love the "get in contact if you are listening" note to the Zodiac.I gave the 1993 10" a spin too-kinda disappointing, lots of very goofy delay modulation, need to give it a closer listen some time.

Eigen Bast

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 24, 2018, 08:49:13 AM
Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on December 16, 2009, 03:02:07 AM
First exposure to Crawl Unit was from the radio, the track "VS Silence". Noticed it's distinctiveness straight away, and had been intrigued ever since.

I happened to be in my own record store - like every day, checking box of 2nd hand experimental CD's that had arrived while ago. Noticed Crawl Unit "vs silence" CD there. Seeing the cover, recognized I must have been distributing this back in the day, but didn't have in my own collection. Pushed play, and was instantly captured by flood of delicate detail. In a way, I tend to file this under ambient, due calm and echoing hum all these source sounds create. But avoiding all that I find negative in "ambient" music in general.

Remixed and expanded from original live on-site recordings intended as environmental sound for exhibition space, utilizing source elements recorded Winter 1993, Somerville, Mass. No computers, samplers or MIDI used. Final mix realized Summer 1995 at Studio for Regenerative Cosmetics, Sacramento, CA. DAT transfer and assistance at EMRL.

This - the hand made and computer free era of experimental and ambient, certainly has it's advantages. Artists concerns to advice people to adjust EQ and volume during listening - not necessary. Just good thing it's not all-out produced and rounded on the edges.

Will have to finally make conscious effort to grab more of CU and Colley items to my shelves! There are bunch of them, but clearly not enough!

Returned to this disc, and perhaps better than ever. Also reminding to proceed with the more CU / Colley stuff purchases!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bruitiste

Recent message from Jon Abbey of Erstwhile Records seems to indicate that Joe Colley will be making an album with Aaron Dilloway this year for his label.  Can't wait to hear what that'll produce...

totalblack

Looking forward to that collab!

The new 'Joe Colley - Deformation Of Tone LP' is being mastered in the next few weeks. It's an extremely strong record, noisier than some of his other recent albums, sure to please

impulse manslaughter

Nice minimal lay-out of that 2MC set!