CRAWL UNIT / JOE COLLEY

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 15, 2009, 08:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

When Crawl Unit was around, I had some stubborn fixation about the name. I kept thinking in my head "crawl unit"... "crawl unit", this sucks. I can't explain. Since I don't feel name would be bad or bring some mental images to my head. But it was years ago, when I simply didn't want to listen stuff.  As opposite of something like Vortex Campaign, which is name I just worship so much, even decades ago when I didn't even known what english word Vortex meant.

Anyways, when the transformation from Crawl Unit into Joe Colley happened, it felt little bit.. "academic". Another stubborn prejudice towards artists. But Some years ago, I suddenly started to listen his stuff. By accident or whatever reason, I happened to have piles of his release in my collection and while going through those, I regretted not paying proper attention before. To simply put it straigh in american style: Joe Colley & Crawl Unit rules.

Now during last two days, I have been giving multiple rotatins to this LP, which is CRAWL UNIT/JOE COLLEY "sound until the world ends". Staalplaat/ERS release from 2001. I just got it from label last week. Simple discosleeve, not any art to look at. First side almost 20 minutes, second side less than 15. Both presenting different kind of atmospheres. It seems irrelevant to go into detail of how "compositions" start and how they proceed. It is simply so complex structure, layering, developing of the songs. Mixing together the perfection of craftmanship in highly distinctive sounds. He may layer several layers of hummin drones, dry contact mic sounds, crispy field recordings, electronics, and each of the sound is perfectly mixed. Not that it would be "clean" in artificial way. He just seems to know exactly what needs to be added so sounds contribute to eachother instead of removing attention or frequencies vital for other sound. Dynamics are phenomenal. I can also praise the quality of this vinyl. Surface noise is very minimal. Hardly existing. You can turn it loud, and sense the subtle quiet humming sounds, and feel the full power of composition when machinery, electronics and noisy sounds rumble out of speakers. I thought I give it another spin just while writing these comments, but I can't push stop anymore. It's full LP or nothing.
Moment that is happening just right now, sounds as if old times Organum would drone in distance, more hi-fi Hands To would crawl through fields of dry plants, gigantic machinery hums slowly fading in, starting from barely audible to something that really cathes you ears. And while level of sound rises closer to cacophony, more high pitch electronics and some broken sound... all in amazing stereo image. It's wide, but not unnatural.  What else could be said? There are many releases I like from him, but possibly this could be the best. Simply heard right time, right place. I'm not sure did the label say this was their last copy? Not sure, but you may approach Staalplaat if you want.  For some Finns visiting Lahti, check out Sarvilevyt shelves.  You look at Discogs and there's unplayed copy for 9€. Someone could do himself a favor and buy nice cheap thing for christmas...

I'm curious to hear all and any recommendations of his materials.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I prefer his works as CRAWL UNIT project, especially his first tape: "Vol. 1" (inspired by Russian second-futurism) and CD "Aftermusic" (one of the best item in 1990s). I recommend "Vs. Silence" and "Proprietary Acoustics" too.

Andrew McIntosh

First exposure to Crawl Unit was from the radio, the track "VS Silence". Noticed it's distinctiveness straight away, and had been intrigued ever since. However, the only album I have at the moment is Ground Fault release "Stop Listening". This presented a grittier side to the project than the rather spacious piece I heard before, with the exception of "Empty Sound" which is an amazing, mellow drone. The album has some very intense moments, the slow, gradual control of the feedback generated. The recording quality is very good, lots of depth and detail, which in fact makes the pieces sound more intense when at the right volume. Electro-acoustic gets down and dirty. Second untitled track sounds like a didgeridoo; very nice. It occurred to me that a lot of this wouldn't sound too out of place on an ancient, lo-fi cassette but in this case it would miss a lot of the real detail that's necessary.

Fuck. I'd forgotten how much I like this album.
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

Anyone listening his works from recent years? Comments, recommendations?

Disasters Of Self ‎ 3xLP   Crippled Intellect Productions    2010      
Lonely Microphone ‎ LP   Senufo Editions    2012   
ANTHEM ‎ LP   Misanthropic Agenda

Mattias G

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 01, 2013, 10:16:08 AM

Bought the Lonely Microphone ‎LP a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Can´t say so much about the music but it feels very organic and well recorded. I think the compositions is older material he found a re-worked or something like that.

Mikerdeath

I have not heard his new releases, but Anthem has remained at the top of my list of things to buy.

All in all I haven't even heard too much, Crawl Unit's discography is very large and mostly placed in the early 90's to late 2000's and in small editions, so they aren't they easiest things to come by.

Maybe someone could offer some distro's with old Crawl Unit titles still around?

Colley's work makes creating a genuine atmosphere with sound seem simple and easy, where there are always many layers of complexity hidden under the surface. His works are fluid and seem to flow and expand on themselves effortlessly with some kind of coherence or symmetry that other harsh noise or drone acts lack.

If I could recommend one thing I would say check out Crawl Unit - Stop Listening Cd on ground fault as an introduction to his work.

On a side note, I recently did find a copy of the  Crawl Unit ‎– Tucson Mon Amour 7" on Drone Records and I was blown away by the recording.

He was interviewed in the Norcal Noisefest news report from 1995!
http://youtu.be/j98JsbdpZeg

New Forces

The Disasters of Self box is absolutely fantastic, and probably my favorite release under his own name. The price is also pretty fantastic for what you get, as the packaging is top notch. Highly recommended (and I think still available from the label?).

I also really love the "Untitled Piece For Prepared Chord Organ" 3" on Banned Productions, which is also still available. 
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

Mikerdeath

I would love to hear that box set, I see it at the store all the time but It's too much $. One day.

It is remarkable to trace the development of his sound from the early Crawl Unit stage, to the more mature later works under his own name.
Joe Colley Live from 2001:
http://www.23five.org/sound/JC_ATM01_SFMOMA1.mp3

ddmurph

another vote here for the disasters of self box, easily one of my favourite releases of the past 5 - 10 years. i really regret not picking up the artist edition of the box back when it was first announced, it has a whole bunch of extra stuff ... cd, dvd, two endless loop cassettes (dunno how these work, anyone here have a copy?), plus some more extras. i've yet to pick up anthem and lonely microphone, haven't had the funds to order a whole lot over the past year or two. out of his older stuff, i'd rate desperate attempts at beauty, waste of songs and the jason lescalleet collab, annihilate this week, as all essential. but yeah, if i had to pick one, it'd definitely be disasters of self

pentd

Quote from: Mikerdeath on September 01, 2013, 08:12:39 PM
If I could recommend one thing I would say check out Crawl Unit - Stop Listening Cd on ground fault as an introduction to his work.

i hope these other things mentioned here are better cos i have this and i will give to anyone who wants it -- trades welcome!

cipher chris

I picked 'Lonely Microphone' up at Tochnit Aleph a couple months ago, it's amazing.  Will be reviewing it for the next issue of SI, but if you like 'Sound Until The World Ends' (one of my favourites too), then 'Lonely Microphone is a no-brainer.

Anthem LP is a bit uneven for me - I like the A side (I think sourced from the 3"CD of the same name?) but  can't get intothe second half, which as I recall is sourced from a set of b-card CDR releases on Banned which I found a bit inconsistent the first time around.  Get the 3"CD instead?

The boxset is well worth picking up as has been suggested.  There is a version with bonus tapes/DVDR/etc.

There's a 3"CDR on Banned, 'Untitled Piece For Prepared Chord Organ, Microphones, And Electric Motors' which is just brilliant.

As far as Crawl Unit goes, the split 7" with Randy Yau is good, so is the tape on GROSS, the Murder Series 7", the Chime Vortex tape.  I tend to go for the shorter material under this moniker, the full-length CDs often drain my attention.  The Pure CD is probably my pick of the longer stuff along with the GROSS tape.  The Macronympha collaboration never really clicked with me, but it's one I keep thinking I should revisit.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 01, 2013, 10:16:08 AM

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on December 16, 2009, 03:02:07 AM
First exposure to Crawl Unit was from the radio, the track "VS Silence". Noticed it's distinctiveness straight away, and had been intrigued ever since.

I happened to be in my own record store - like every day, checking box of 2nd hand experimental CD's that had arrived while ago. Noticed Crawl Unit "vs silence" CD there. Seeing the cover, recognized I must have been distributing this back in the day, but didn't have in my own collection. Pushed play, and was instantly captured by flood of delicate detail. In a way, I tend to file this under ambient, due calm and echoing hum all these source sounds create. But avoiding all that I find negative in "ambient" music in general.

Remixed and expanded from original live on-site recordings intended as environmental sound for exhibition space, utilizing source elements recorded Winter 1993, Somerville, Mass. No computers, samplers or MIDI used. Final mix realized Summer 1995 at Studio for Regenerative Cosmetics, Sacramento, CA. DAT transfer and assistance at EMRL.

This - the hand made and computer free era of experimental and ambient, certainly has it's advantages. Artists concerns to advice people to adjust EQ and volume during listening - not necessary. Just good thing it's not all-out produced and rounded on the edges.

Will have to finally make conscious effort to grab more of CU and Colley items to my shelves! There are bunch of them, but clearly not enough!

Baglady

I've been listening alot to Colley's No Way In LP from 2016 on Glistening Examples the latest months. A great record I have a hard time NOT coming back to over and over. It's a typical Colley album, but all the bright light and sharp sounds and drones makes me think of the collaboration work Jeph Jerman and Tim Barnes have been doing over recent years, yet with different flow and attention to detail. Pressed in 400 copies. Poly-lined inner sleeve and a beautiful cover and all, but apparently the wholesale price was way above average so distros charge approx 30€ for it. Not that it isn't worth it, but still... how come?

thetenthousandthings

Been absorbing a lot of work lately from this artist - have found no flaws yet. . .
Wondering if anyone has pdf's of the 'essential albums' contribution he made to SI-8, if that is okay with Mikko.
As well as the Bananafish interview

Both seem to be sold out everywhere which is the only reason I'm asking. Thanks in advance

absurdexposition

Listened to Crawl Unit's Stop Listening CD (Ground Fault, 2000) last night and have to say it didn't hold my attention. Perhaps suited for more dedicated listening which I wasn't in the mindset for.

Colley's Disasters of Self 3LP is of course amazing and I recently got the Hive 3" CD on Ferns which is also great - "Source sounds from beehive" https://joecolley.bandcamp.com/album/hive

I've been meaning to revisit the California 10LP box set. I don't think I remember what any of it sounds like and I'm excited to hear what this is like 14 years after it came out (time is unreal).
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com