-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Zeno Marx

http://dieordiy2.blogspot.com/

They've been uploading original Jackman tapes in various groups.  Same for original The New Blockaders tapes.  I haven't cross-referenced anything with CD reissues, but my hunch is that anything on CD has been changed in some way.  Might be worth hearing and having original cassette rips if you're really into this stuff, even if they're lossy.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

acsenger

Organum - Raven (CD, Siren Records)

The first Organum release in 8 years, and I think it's great. All the tracks are basically the same, but that doesn't detract from the album as a whole. The atmosphere is majestic and somber. The music is made up of two types of piano sounds, bells tolling and the sounds of ravens, and that's it. The album feels like a grand statement for which only a few elements were required and nothing else. That said, I can imagine some people would find it too minimalistic. If you like Organum's last couple releases before this one, you'll like this too (I actually like this album better than some of those).
I wonder if there will be more Organum/David Jackman releases in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't, but who knows.

Peterson

Quote from: acsenger on December 02, 2018, 02:58:02 AM
Organum - Raven (CD, Siren Records)

The first Organum release in 8 years, and I think it's great. All the tracks are basically the same, but that doesn't detract from the album as a whole. The atmosphere is majestic and somber. The music is made up of two types of piano sounds, bells tolling and the sounds of ravens, and that's it. The album feels like a grand statement for which only a few elements were required and nothing else. That said, I can imagine some people would find it too minimalistic. If you like Organum's last couple releases before this one, you'll like this too (I actually like this album better than some of those).
I wonder if there will be more Organum/David Jackman releases in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't, but who knows.

Listened to two previews earlier today. Fucking christ, they're gorgeous. Culmination if you ask me. Will get this soon, perfect for reading or writing.

Oddly enough been taking a lot of field recordings of ravens and bells myself lately. Not that I believe in "synchronicity" or much of anything really but funny how life works out sometimes. Thanks for your review.

Zeno Marx

Raven is 13 tracks, all clocking at 3:21 or 3:27.  Jackman has often made things suspicious like that.  Frans de Waard wrote in his review, "In each of these pieces the same things happens, and I know I could rip all of these pieces and compare the pieces to see if they are really the same or perhaps they have miniature changes, but I didn't."  So tempting, but I won't either.  I'll just allow it to nag me.  I'm not instantly taking to this disc like I did with Sorow, but I'll give it time.  Jackman has earned that with me.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Baglady

Spinning the Organum & TNB - Wrack (in 4 parts) 12" (Dom Bartwuchs, 1990) on repeat here. Although I love it in 45rpm, which is the speed stated on discogs and on the "official site" of Jackman, it sounds twice as good (and in these ears more natural) in 33rpm. The usual TNB wreckage going on, enveloped in huge Organum droning, a "hugeness" that gets a bit lost when played in 45rpm. Makes me wonder if the listed speed is actually accurate? I know it comes from Jackman himself, but still...

bogskaggmannen

http://www.art-into-life.com/product/10641

!!!

Funny to see him going down the old nostalgia route, if so...

Zeno Marx

That sample has some depth...but I have to admit in thinking that, am I the fool?  In the middle of a Brotzmann show, I found myself wondering the same thing.  I'm enjoying this.  Glad to be here.  But then...is this guy doing anything?  Is this "good"?  Am I playing the fool in this exercise?  I could wonder this same thing at any point, in any situation, experiencing anything at all, but some artists (maybe the good ones) cause me to question whether they're just fucking with us and exposing us.  Jackman certainly strikes me this way.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

acsenger

New David Jackman CD on Die Stadt: http://www.diestadtmusik.de/DS123.html

It's interesting that after being completely inactive for 8 years, he's become so active in the past few years. I just got the new Electronics CD by Organum; looking forward to hearing it.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 22, 2014, 09:55:16 PM
There's a Rarities and Unreleased 3CD out there.  It's not official, but it makes hearing the short, expensive 7"s convenient.  HERE  I think you can find it lossless, too.

This link is still active for anyone interested, thank you many years later Zeno!

Johann

What link is that?

@Zeno, I have a 1 CD comp of a bunch of his material that's unofficial, has some WWI style pictures on the cover

bogskaggmannen

Seems to be a second CD (called "Stilness") out now on Siren under the Organum Electronics monicker - anyone heard it yet?

As much as I actually appreciated the s/t one on Siren I don't need another one if it's almost the same album...

Johann

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on February 18, 2020, 01:26:44 AM
http://nostalgie-de-la-boue.blogspot.com/2014/06/david-jackman-organum-rare-unreleased.html

It was linked in the text of Zeno's post, but here it is for easier access.

thank you, I completely missed that.

the release I have is different, its a total bootleg I bought here maybe 12 or 13 years ago, its all the David Jackman 7" records...great content, but its just a jewel case with a printed out picture of a flipped over tank or transport vehicle in a trench, white CD-R with track listing. Well worth the 5 dollars since it was very informative to my twenty year old brain at the time.