ALTAR OF FLIES "ALTAR OF FLIES" LP (iDEAL Recordings)

Started by Mattias G, August 14, 2014, 06:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattias G

ALTAR OF FLIES "ALTAR OF FLIES" LP (iDEAL Recordings)

Track list: A1/HOMECOMING. A2/ENTRAILS. A3. AUDITORY HALLUCINATIONS I. B1/WINTER WILL RETURN. B2. RESONIUM. B3. AUDITORY HALLUCINATIONS III.

All compositions by Mattias Gustafsson: Magnetic tape, field recordings & electronics, recorded to tape 2012-2013.

Altar of Flies is back on iDEAL with this new, untitled album, his first since "Permanent Cavity" (2010). Mattias Gustafsson's industrial, Mjölby-style musique concrète is deeply personal and even though the music is often sparse and minimal, it always contains restrained energy explosions and psychic tensions. This, his fifth proper LP (and a long line of nice releases on hot labels like Release The Bats, Järtecknet and A Dear Girl Called Wendy) , is a modern noise master piece. There are tons of great records out there, but few messes with my mind as well as this album. And that is to me, a true sign of quality! - Joachim Nordwall, Gothenburg, August 2014.

http://idealism.bigcartel.com/

Scat-O-Logy

Mattias G

Review from Vital Weekly 947

"Mattias Gustafsson sits behind an ancient small mixer, and we see some ancient electronic device and a cassette recorder. That's the picture on his album 'Altar of Flies', and it says he plays magnetic tape, field recordings and electronics. He has six pieces on his record here and they are a delight to hear. No doubt I say that because I am a sucker for such lo-fi electronic music with a cassette or two near by - as a medium to record on as well as using them for playback, especially when the playback heads are dirty - along with cheap and crude synthesizers, or perhaps just sound generators of a more simpler, electrical kind. Altar Of Flies ties all of this together and creates some heavy electronic music; heavy, mind you, noisy perhaps but noise isn't the end goal here. Things are surely loud, dirty and obnoxious, but its aim is not to shock. It is music that provides a strong presence in your living room, a forceful sound but with the aim to please - I think. Maybe I am wrong here and maybe there is some sort of shock treatment part of this, but in my perception this is music that is made to enjoy. This is the noise I like! Not on a similar noise level as say Francisco Meirino, whose work is more collage like, whereas Altar Of Flies is more continuous, like an ever sustaining ur-drone and heavily treated tapes ringing and singing along. This is the kind of musique concrete that they don't teach you at Ina-Grm. Excellent record!"