LUSTMORD

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 23, 2014, 04:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Today listened:

LUSTMORD "Things That Were" 3 LP box
Vinyl on demand
Early works from 1980-83 of noisy ambient/industrial. This is my favority Lustmord, together with  "A Document Of Early Acoustic & Tactical Experimentation". Its been long time since I listened that CD, and didn't check out how much it overlaps with this box. Anyways, killer stuff.

Of course I appreciate Paradise Disowned, Heresy and The Monstrous Soul , but soon after - and especially with stuff from later days, I felt like it has very little, if anything for me. I wonder whether there's any good stuff in his new works? Lets say - in contexts of 80's / early 90's works.

One link to early stuff. Don't see much at youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7bj_iJhnwE
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Andrew McIntosh

An all-time favourite with me. "The Place Where The Black Stars Hang" is the pinnacle. That deep, slow, long, powerful vibe is something B. Lustmord helped to pioneer and is something I always hold close to.

Haven't heard the VOD box set and "Paradise Disowned" is about the earliest of his material I've heard, and to be honest it's okay but not the most moving. The voice samples on "The Monstrous Soul" make me cringe a bit. Nor has his dub/beat/actual-music type recent stuff affected me (well, I drew the line after "Metavoid" which, I have to admit, has its moments). For me, that "mid period" where everything just fell into dark, descending balance is where I would want to dwell.
Shikata ga nai.

P-K

all good, really good untill Metavoid...which had great production but composition-wise could be one of the later Cold Meat Industry 'goth' albums.....from then it really lost it's magic (generic digital darkambient, gone is the natural reverb, organic sounds,..)

imho the man has ego-problems and doesn't handel critique well at-all. Saw him "live" once...boring as fuck (and he absolutely hàd to headline)

really love his classics (Monstrous Soul, Paradise Disowned, Heresy, Black Stars) the older noisy industrial, and i have a soft spot for this 12" which defines Lustmord for me :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS40cWIkXm0

Zeno Marx

I'm no devout fan, and even with what I'm about to say here, I don't approach new releases with much enthusiasm.  He's someone I follow simply because I feel I'm not wasting my time with an artist who has completely drained his well.  The Word as Power (2013) was a really good album; made my top of 2013 list.  I have a low tolerance for dub, but I think even those albums are good albums.  The only release I find to be poor is his Stalker collaboration (with Robert Rich).  In other words, I like almost everything he's done, and like many others, I feel his '90-'95 period is his benchmark.

I'm surprised he didn't make a cameo on Entourage (HBO).  Whether accurate or not, I think of him as snooty Hollywood type.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bloated Slutbag

However inflated the ego, it has to be said... I hear the influences of Heresy (1989) almost every other day. When that one dropped... well, there were, perhaps, plenty of artists working in the general vein of, shall we say, tibetan-ritual-flavored-industrial music – Core "Chants Of Race & Emptiness" (1988) - but Heresy really re-imagined the sound in very narrow, visionary, terms. "Lustmordian" should have been voted into the Oxford English Dictionary years ago.

I love it all, short of the dub stuff and the guitar-collabo work, but for whatever bizarre reason will name-check only the brief closing passage from Black Stars entitled "Dog Star Descends"... the understated char-blackened creep totally reminds me of some of my favorite passages from Jean-Claude Eloy's Shanti.

EDITed in a couple links.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Dr Alex

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 23, 2014, 07:55:41 PM
The Word as Power (2013) was a really good album; made my top of 2013 list. The only release I find to be poor is his Stalker collaboration (with Robert Rich).  In other words, I like almost everything he's done, and like many others, I feel his '90-'95 period is his benchmark.

Totally agree!! "The Word As Power" is breathtaking. I love all those voices and dark ambiance.
"Heresy" is my introduction to dark ambient so many years ago and I fell in love with it.
I really hate his "dub" and remix releases. Boring and useless...

Arecibo is also amazing album. Too bad that he made just one album as Arecibo.

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 23, 2014, 04:30:33 PM
Today listened:

LUSTMORD "Things That Were" 3 LP box
Vinyl on demand
Early works from 1980-83 of noisy ambient/industrial. This is my favority Lustmord, together with  "A Document Of Early Acoustic & Tactical Experimentation". Its been long time since I listened that CD, and didn't check out how much it overlaps with this box. Anyways, killer stuff.

Of course I appreciate Paradise Disowned, Heresy and The Monstrous Soul , but soon after - and especially with stuff from later days, I felt like it has very little, if anything for me. I wonder whether there's any good stuff in his new works? Lets say - in contexts of 80's / early 90's works.

One link to early stuff. Don't see much at youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7bj_iJhnwE

great box as usual of VOD
i'm into of re-edition from And-zen "The Dark Places of the Earth"
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

xdementia

Quote from: P-K on July 23, 2014, 07:37:21 PM
imho the man has ego-problems and doesn't handel critique well at-all. Saw him "live" once...boring as fuck (and he absolutely hàd to headline)

agreed.

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 23, 2014, 07:55:41 PM
The only release I find to be poor is his Stalker collaboration (with Robert Rich).

totall disagree. That's probably my favorite. Though I will consent with most of the board that the classics are his better material.

Andrew McIntosh

I remember liking "Stalker" when I first heard it too - it was in a local library, as I remember - but that was a few years ago and I'm not sure how I'd dig it listening to it now. I do remember it being quite sedentary.

I also remember reading an interview wherein he was asked how he'd like to collaborate with Lisa Gerrard. If I remember right, he replied that he regarded her as too arrogant to want to work with. It's a pairing I would be very interested in though, if it ever happened - there are moments on Gerrard's "The Silver Tree" that, if I had just heard and was told it was Lustmord, I would have believed.
Shikata ga nai.

anomalie

The Place Where The Black Stars Hang is my fav of him by far.

Zeno Marx

new Lustmord project. A fair amount of this sounds like low-rent Brendan Perry solo material. The synths aren't rich and swelling.

https://lustmord.bandcamp.com/album/in-dub
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Nolan

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 09, 2017, 03:14:29 AM
new Lustmord project. A fair amount of this sounds like low-rent Brendan Perry solo material. The synths aren't rich and swelling.

https://lustmord.bandcamp.com/album/in-dub

I quite enjoyed Dark Matter last year (vinyl edition just came out), but this dub release is pretty bad.

The Lustmord release i go back to consistently is Carbon Core

david lloyd jones

clearly nobody is going to nominate his collab with the melvins, but am just surprised that two such disparate projects collided.
re:ego, nobody collaborating with the church of satan is going to have self esteem problems, the resulting release most enjoyable and far superior to the satori release with peter gilmore.

Soloman Tump

The word as Power is an immense album, it does exactly what it says on the tin. I've not heard anything else quite like it.