INCAPACITANTS

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 13, 2014, 11:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baglady

Quote from: accidental on July 24, 2016, 09:00:12 PM
My copy of Extreme Gospel Nights has extremely unequal levels.
My copy sounds just fine (no. 209), but the mp3 rip I got some years age sounds just like you describe your copy.

Otomo_Hava

Don't know how precisely should be if i say that purchasing all three CD boxes (Pariah Tapes, Box Is Stupid, Alchemy Box Is Stupid) should sum Incapacitant's progression and how inspirational are from 90s harsh americanoise to Harsh Noise Wall(?).

accidental

Quote from: Baglady on July 25, 2016, 08:34:31 AM
My copy sounds just fine (no. 209), but the mp3 rip I got some years age sounds just like you describe your copy.

My copy is about ten numbers up from yours. On black tape and black strip with silver text as labels. I bought mine sealed from a guy in europe. Never experienced this with any other Vanilla tapes.

Weird that the mp3 rip was like that. What could cause this? I play mine on a Nak deck and i haven't had issues like this with any other tape so far on this deck.

Baglady

Mine came sealed as well (but with clear shell and the same label as the one on discogs), bought from the Tordon distro couple of years ago.
Can't imagine there would be any problem with your Nak deck, but yeah, Vanilla cassettes are usually dubbed fine. Weird indeed.

david lloyd jones

of the shows I saw, live was certainly more inspirational than disc.
maybe this was as a latecomer to them, the catch up process was relegated when seeing here and now in the flesh, always with a joy at doing what they were doing.

.:Will:.

I have a duplicate copy of the Torturing Nurse/Incapacitants 7" for sale/trade if anyone is interested.

Deadpriest

I like Ministry Of Foolishness the best.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Deadpriest

I like Ministry Of Foolishness the best.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Baglady

Any thoughts on Survival Of The Laziest yet? Surprised I haven't seen or heard any comments about it at all.

Kayandah

Quote from: Baglady on August 28, 2017, 07:19:45 PM
Any thoughts on Survival Of The Laziest yet? Surprised I haven't seen or heard any comments about it at all.

For a start ignore this rip off prices on discogs, you can get it from amazon Japan at cheaper than retail price

Only listened to it a couple of times and it is pretty much what you expect - few tracks and Long live track at the end. Is it essential? No. Is it fun to listen to? Absolutely. Harsh noise the way the masters do it

Duncan

OH MY GOODNESS.

Been revisiting a lot of Japanese acts recently and had a trundle through a few discs of the recently re-issued NOISE WAR set and was totally blown away by the Incapacitants track.  Such a non stop blast.  Seems somebody has stuck this up on Youtube which is either helpful or annoying depending on how you feel about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=047I2szyprk

I've always struggled a bit with Incapacitants recorded output, feeling like the high pitched, wild 'ecstatic' tones - while enjoyable - leave me wanting a bit for some body and grit.  Not the case here.  But is that a symptom of the shorter compilation track style?  In any case I guess I'll need to start seriously re-investigating their albums.

zd313

Can't say i've gone out of my way to follow any of the post late-90s stuff, but all of it is ace imo.

tho its a pre-INC solo joint, Toshiji Mikawa 'RADIO CODE' is a personal fave.

i agree OPERORUE could use a reissue.... i think the last one i listened to was DEFAULT STANDARD or LIVE INCAPACITANTS, don't really remember what came first.

My fabe hands down is MINISTRY OF FOOLISHNESS. like Mikko said, lots of oscillators, lower bass, less of just all out assault = all out assault structured into more coherent pieces, but still w that Incapacitated wandering going on. everything else tho; REPO, NMS, SHANBARA, QUIETUS, GOSPEL NIGHTS (prob my 2nd fave), CPMD etc etc, all scorchers.

playing with them at the No Fun 07 thing, they were probably one of the better sets of the whole weekend. pretty sure i remember seeing Mikko on the side of stage too, thoughts on that set vs others??? were super super cool guys too, party animals....

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Kayandah on August 29, 2017, 02:33:45 AM
Quote from: Baglady on August 28, 2017, 07:19:45 PM

For a start ignore this rip off prices on discogs, you can get it from amazon Japan at cheaper than retail price

Only listened to it a couple of times and it is pretty much what you expect - few tracks and Long live track at the end. Is it essential? No. Is it fun to listen to? Absolutely. Harsh noise the way the masters do it

Survival Of The Laziest is imo the best full-length Incaps since Burning Orange, and the best proper Incaps (not just live stuff) since 73. 73 for me was all about the two short studio tracks – total hole-rippers which were nonetheless dwarfed by two massive live tracks - and thus only barely to squeak in as full-length proper.

Which would then make SOTL the best proper full-length - studio + live – Incaps since Sec End. SE has blown hot and cold for me over the years... recently the aural passages report consistently scorched, but the passages are an (increasingly) unreliable lot as likely to report utter scorch as utter toss depending on which way the ozone blows.

So then, uncontested by the fickle ear (mine), Survival Of The Laziest is:

the best proper full-length Incaps since Default Standard and/or Unauthorized Fatal Operation, both from 1999! (I discount the otherwise utterly hole-blowing Zashikiwarashi Effect as the studio material dates from the mid-late 90s)

But is Survival Of The Laziest actually proper studio + live full-length? The two opening tracks, editions Kosakai and Mikawa respectively, sound as though they might be two different mixes of the same live session... possibly the live session entitled "Live at Bushbash 20160611" to close out the four-piece suite. The one obvious studio track, Noah Ark oscillation, is consistent with the more recent Mikawa-dominated electro direction and, though quite decent in its tense en-vocalled turd burglary, is for me the low point of the disc.

Still, given all that. The sounds on offer are fairly convincing. Unlike the last time Editions Kosakai and Mikawa were presented (on Ad Nauseam), the raging of the two opening tracks is fairly uniform. Uniform in clear deviation from any studio work previously offered. Wild extremes roaring across the frequency spectrum through high-pressured, bass-heavy, thunder n smother. Jumble of chaotic frenzied free-for-all as might be envisaged in a live performance. If there are "electro" elements in here, they are completely buried under the heaving, fluctuating, mass, the overall stench of live amplification conveying a rougher, filthier, warmer, analog flavor. The nearest comparison might be "Incapacitants live twice" from Asset Without Liability, except here the textures are much more "full" and brought to life via constant, billowing, surface movement. Surface movement seems to me a more recent preoccupation of Mikawa, going by some of his recent live performances (both recorded and in the flesh) so perhaps none of this should be surprising. But overall, after a good decade's worth of crystal clear Incaps, a rather pleasant surprise. In short, unlike anything I've previously encountered on disc from the banker buds, but very consistent with a number of occasions encountered live. The 32-minute live track only reinforces this point, sounding not unlike the two opening numbers, and actually sounding damn good. Some of the best "live" Incapacitants presented in recent memory, with crowd appropriately appreciative.

Footnote. Those who pre-ordered were also gifted with a separate 10-minute cdr containing "Untitled Studio Outtake" featuring Kosakai on guitar. I discovered this literally the day I received my regular copy of SOTL in the post. There was at that moment a discogs seller in Japan offering the two-disc set at only a slightly inflated price and given my love of Kosakai in full rockstar mode I was sorely tempted. Hesitated for three days and then it disappeared. Kind of glad I hesitated but... there is now a discogs seller offering just the cdr for $100! Nice...
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on February 09, 2018, 07:45:21 AM
Quote from: Kayandah on August 29, 2017, 02:33:45 AM

So then, uncontested by the fickle ear (mine), Survival Of The Laziest is:
the best proper full-length Incaps since Default Standard and/or Unauthorized Fatal Operation, both from 1999! (I discount the otherwise utterly hole-blowing Zashikiwarashi Effect as the studio material dates from the mid-late 90s)
But is Survival Of The Laziest actually proper studio + live full-length?

I have tried over the years, latest being couple weeks ago, to contact Alchemy Records for wholesale purchases, but no luck. It would be great to be able to sell these items within "noise scene", beyond the discogs dealers. I never been into amazon purchases, nor I buy much from discogs, so when I haven't seen the CD anywhere where I generally buy items, I have fallen into heretic move and listened this album via youtube.
It is annoying, to know that sound is perhaps not all what it could be, and perhaps even more so, since like Slutbag colorfully explains, it really is THE BEST Incapacitants release for about 10 years!

I agree, that live track is not essential. It is no way bad or useless. It's total Incapacitants frenzy, but studio tracks themselves would have been "album length" and to offer utterly crushing full on studio album in 2017, would have been probably underlining superiority, instead of lining it together with many other Incapacitants albums with same template of first studio stuff then one gig as bonus.

I hope to get this CD in my collection, as won't be listening more of it online to get full on real experience....

To feed the hunger for Incapacitants, I re-visited complete BOX IS STUPID set. 3-4 CD's a day, 3 days later, one can conclude that it is pretty much flawless release. There are couple releases what are not as good as Incapacitants at its best, but even those are good simply due giving alternative approach for short while. Like Kosakai CD of Ad Nauseum tape. It's not good through our whole duration, simply for being weirdo experimental rather than noise, but placing this as 5th disc of 10 CD box is perhaps just the needed milestone to make you appreciate  the next 5 CD's of full blast that is about to come. Absolutely essential box.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net